Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo eyes another lame zebra

Okolie wants to unify the division and has been trying before he moves up to heavyweight.

Canelo threatening to move weights makes it harder for Okolie as the other champs will sit and wait for the additional pay day that Alvarez brings.

I agree with you point that the other champs should unify and put themselves at the front of the queue like Beterbiev.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Spicoli you've always railed against trinket collectors, and here's the ultimate poster child for that. Kudos to you for wanting to remain objective and giving credit where it's due, while at the same time calling a spade a spade as you say.

Me... I've been an outspoken, unapologetic Canelo hype basher since Day One... and it gives me lots of perverse satisfaction to see all my predictions and observations turned into "I told you so's". Unfortunately, most people tend to ride bandwagons till the wheels come off and the floor boards have rotted out.

The truly sad part here is that boxing history cares little about asterisks in the form of cherry-picking and catchweights when adding up career belts. A trinket hunter like Canelo will be forever inflated in the annals of boxing history, albeit in a totally artificial manner.

True boxing fans see through the sham... while blind bandwagon riders do not. In this age of instant canonization, where the next TBE is only a breath away... casuals are only too happy to latch on to media-manufactured pretty boys who don't represent what boxing USED to be.

It's all a damn shame.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

canelo will be the first mexican to win championships in five divisions if he can beat junior. after he achieves that he can deal with one seventy five
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    canelo will be the first mexican to win championships in five divisions if he can beat junior. after he achieves that he can deal with one seventy five
    Why not “deal with 175” now? And then move up to do his 5 division thang. Wouldn’t that be the “natural” thing to do ?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Why not “deal with 175” now? And then move up to do his 5 division thang. Wouldn’t that be the “natural” thing to do ?
    why not attempt his fifth divisional title next if it's available to him? artur & dmitry could possibly unify around the same time. that would be a big enticement for canelo to meet the winner
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo will also fight at the new Bridger weight division against a recently returned enzo maccarinelli for the IBF belt.

6 division world champ coming up.

With one loss.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Canelo will also fight at the new Bridger weight division against a recently returned enzo maccarinelli for the IBF belt.

6 division world champ coming up.

With one loss.

Why stop there? The WBC could easily create a "super-bridger" weight division, wedged between the already bogus Bridger and HW.... with the (not even) thinly veiled purpose of giving Ginger a 7th division belt.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

why not attempt his fifth divisional title next if it's available to him? artur & dmitry could possibly unify around the same time. that would be a big enticement for canelo to meet the winner
    Because it’s easier to go up 7lbs , the another 25lbs , than to go up 32lb and come back down 25lbs.
    Do you honestly believe Canelo will come back down after he’s ballooned up to 200lbs or even 190lbs ?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt alvarez will be weighing much if any more than he would at light heavyweight, the fight will probably be at some terrible catch weight like 176, even if the catch weight isn't that bad I dont think alvarez will pack on a ton of weight. I'm assuming he snipes the belt here then stays the same weight and just finishes off his time at light heavyweight.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His fights with PBF, Jacobs, 3G I didnt think he was a diva, hard to say he isn't now.
    Real hard.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because it’s easier to go up 7lbs , the another 25lbs , than to go up 32lb and come back down 25lbs.
    Do you honestly believe Canelo will come back down after he’s ballooned up to 200lbs or even 190lbs ?
    going up seven pounds won't give him a fifth divisional title. if the opportunity is available next why shouldn't he take it? i don't think canelo will weigh that much. canelo jumped up to grab a championship at light heavy before returning to super middle to unify. i could see him doing the same here

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

NO WEIGH OUT Ilunga Makabu vows to KO Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez after sizing up pound-for-pound star as Mexican admits he will give away TWO STONE in cruiserweight title fight

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez is only willing to move up to 180lbs in his bid to dethrone Ilunga Makabu and become cruiserweight world champion.

The undisputed super-middleweight world champion cemented his legacy as the pound-for-pound best in the world with a dominant stoppage of Caleb Plant to take the last remaining belt at 169lbs.

Makabu will have a four-inch height advantage against Canelo and will be naturally much heavier

In a spectacular 12-month sweep, the Mexican collected the WBA and Ring Magazine belts from Callum Smith, defended the WBC title against Avni Yildirim, took the WBO strap from Billy Joe Saunders and then finally Plant’s IBF strap.

It is difficult to think of a more ruthless or dominant reign of a champion in recent history, with Canelo no longer tied down to a promoter or a broadcaster and not willing to let boxing politics to impede him.

At the WBC Convention in Mexico City, the 31-year-old was granted his wish to face cruiserweight champion Makabu to embellish his legacy to try and become a six-weight world champion.

In a spectacular 12-month sweep, the Mexican collected the WBA and Ring Magazine belts from Callum Smith, defended the WBC title against Avni Yildirim, took the WBO strap from Billy Joe Saunders and then finally Plant’s IBF strap.

It is difficult to think of a more ruthless or dominant reign of a champion in recent history, with Canelo no longer tied down to a promoter or a broadcaster and not willing to let boxing politics to impede him.

At the WBC Convention in Mexico City, the 31-year-old was granted his wish to face cruiserweight champion Makabu to embellish his legacy to try and become a six-weight world champion.

And although he wants to remain relatively light so he can move back down to light-heavyweight, Canelo admits he will still give away two stone when he fights the Congolese champion in May 2022.

“I’m a very smart fighter,” he said at the 59th WBC annual convention.

“I believe in my power and my skills, so this is why we’re going to try [to win the title at cruiserweight]. It’s a great challenge and a question of twenty kilos.

“It’s a fifty/fifty challenge, but I feel very strong. I love challenges and making history.

“That’s why I’m here, and I like this challenge. We will see if it is the most difficult challenge of my career on that day.”

Makabu was knocked out by Tony Bellew in 2016 at Goodison Park, but has since clawed his way back to title contention and remains one of the division’s most dangerous fighters by winning nine on the bounce.

While there may be a discrepancy in skill level, Makabu is a natural cruiserweight at six foot and punches hard – breaking Bellew’s nose in the first round at Everton’s home.

The 34-year-old southpaw could not quite believe his luck that the fight was made and is ready to take on boxing’s most lucrative fighter.

“Yes, I accept the fight,” he said at the convention. “When I got this news from my manager and (WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman), I said, ‘Wow! This is something good.’

“Canelo is the best boxer on the planet right now. So, I want to fight the best, and I accept, but there will be no catchweight for this fight.

“I think Canelo is making a big mistake, which he is going to regret. Canelo wants to prove to people that he can do better than others and I am quite prepared to let Canelo try for this dream, but I‘ve got my also story to write down.

“Yes, this is boxing. I lost to Tony Bellew, but I came back. Now I’m telling you 100 percent, I will knock out Canelo.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/9...cruiserweight/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didn't realize Makabu was promoted by Don King . Who just happened to announce his next fight will likely be a January rematch with Thabiso Mchunu who he knocked out 6 years ago . Canelo fights the "winner". Ok I'm confused. The real conundrum is who do you trust more..team Canelo or Don King the man's promoter. Maybe they should have waited on the photo ops, fight posters and pressers. What a circus. But this may be a case of a promoter NOT the fighter ready to take a big fist of step-aside money.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Didn't realize Makabu was promoted by Don King . Who just happened to announce his next fight will likely be a January rematch with Thabiso Mchunu who he knocked out 6 years ago . Canelo fights the "winner". Ok I'm confused. The real conundrum is who do you trust more..team Canelo or Don King the man's promoter. Maybe they should have waited on the photo ops, fight posters and pressers. What a circus. But this may be a case of a promoter NOT the fighter ready to take a big fist of step-aside money.

Why is it that promoters in general seem to take center stage with some fighters/divisions more than others?

When did promoters ever make news when Pacquiao (with the notable exception of the Floyd fight) was working his way through a "Who's Who" of boxing? When did promoters prevent or delay fights involving the MABs, Morales's, Cottos, or Trinidads of the world?

It seems like with the HW division in general (mostly the Big 3) and with the Ginger Diva in particular... it's all about the promoters.

It's OUR fault. WE... have allowed this to happen, like the pathetically groveling fan base we are. We'll gladly take the crumbs, as long as they throw us a fight once in a while.

That's why many people have given up on boxing.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thabiso was the mandatory & didn't want to step aside. probably had to sign a deal with don for next fight options. if he wins he hits the lottery. just has to keep an eye on don

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Thread Information