Gennady Golovkin explains why he does not believe Canelo Alvarez is boxing’s pound-for-pound king and says he is ‘tired’ of Mexican’s recent fights

Gennady Golovkin has insisted undisputed super-middleweight king Canelo Alvarez is not boxing’s current pound-for-pound king.

The Kazakh IBF middleweight champion, who twice shared the ring with the four-weight champion, retains a rivalry with his former foe.

When they first met in 2017, the vast majority saw GGG deserving of a points victory.

However, the judges scored the bout a split draw.

There was plenty of bad blood when they met again a year later.

Second time around, Canelo was vastly improved and won a close decision.

The result was debated once again, but there were far fewer cries of ‘robbery’.

Three years on, there has been no trilogy bout with Canelo instead unifying middleweight titles, winning a light-heavyweight title and now becoming undisputed at super-middleweight.

These subsequent victories have cemented his position as pound-for-pound king in the eyes of most, but not his former foe.

“It depends what we take as the criteria,” Golovkin told the LA Times.

“After my fights with him, I don’t consider him the best.”

GGG continued: “To be honest, I am a little tired of this series of boxing, like carbon copy fighters.

“What Eddie Hearn is trying to do is present one of his fighters [for Canelo] after another.

“It’s like a soap opera that we’re all tired of.

“I think it’s time to move on and I think he should face the truth and have some conscience to end this.

“Because there are more interesting opportunities.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/9...und-for-pound/