Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amir Khan v Kell Brook - Finally

Conor Benn recalls Amir Khan conversation that led to fight rejection

Benn has expressed his desire to face Khan or Brook after their grudge fight next year, but Khan has already told the young star it is unlikely as he plans to hang up his gloves

Conor Benn has spoken to Amir Khan about a potential domestic showdown which he rejected by explaining his retirement plans.

The 25-year-old cruised through the latest step of his sensational rise with a brutal KO victory over Chris Algieri earlier this month.

He is now looking for his next opponent and has called out the winner of Khan's hotly-anticipated showdown with Kell Brook.

Benn has admitted he spoke to Khan about staging a potential clash next year but would also welcome a match-up with Brook.

"Amir Khan don’t want it. No chance he will want it, there’d be no way," Benn told World Boxing News. "I’ve spoken to him about it.

"He’s retiring after the (Brook) fight. Kell Brook, I’d take the fight all day long. I’d fight either of them, but I’ve got more of a chance to fight Jake Paul, It’s one of them situations — why would they want to fight me?

"It’s a 50-50 fight, it’s 10 years too late, but it’s still a 50-50 fight. Khan’s chin is very vulnerable. There’s no secret there. But Kell Brook has had both his eye (sockets) fractured, so it’s like who’s got what left.

"But I’m tipping Brook. More durable. I don’t think Khan has the power like Gennadiy Golovkin or Spence to break his eye socket. Hopefully, Brook comes through and then he can get the smoke. He can get the Benn smoke.”

Benn is looking to progress further on to a world-title shot next year after having a successful 2021 where he also picked up victories against Adrian Granados and Sebastien Formella.

Any potential fight with the winner could take place later next year with Brook and Khan set to face-off in Manchester on February 19.

They will finally settle their rivalry after a long wait for British fans, with the pair having plotted to face each other for over five years.

It will take place at a catchweight of 149lbs with both men set to pay a six-figure fine for missing the limit next year.

Meanwhile Benn will look to face another significant opponent early next year with Adrien Broner currently in pole position.

Despite Broner's recent decline, the Briton believes a meeting would still be a blockbuster clash and great experience to continue his rise to world-level.

“I’d like to fight Adrien Broner,” Benn continued. “I know he’s not the Broner he once was but it’s a good name on my resume.

“It would get a lot of hype, of course, but it would also present a different style to the one I fought before. He’s a massive name, so if you look at it from a marketing perspective, great fight. I don’t even need to talk financials. He’s a massive name over there (in the United States) and over here (in the United Kingdom).

“There’d be some build-up before the fight. It would sell out wherever it is. And you anyone who has achieved four world titles in different weight divisions, you got to put them up there as idols, so I’d love to share the ring with him.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...-news-25800011
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amir Khan says he will retire after Kell Brook fight in February

Amir Khan told fans he will retire from boxing after one last dance with Kell Brook during an Instagram livestream yesterday.

The Bolton boxer is finally set to face his Sheffield rival in a long-awaited grudge match at the AO Arena in Manchester on February 19.

Khan went live on Instagram to give an update on his training camp to his 1.4 million followers.

But when asked about his plans for the future, the 35-year-old revealed he will hang up his gloves regardless of the result.

As he read comments from the stream, Khan said: "I leave it to God to decide which round I knock Kell Brook out.

"I am going to win the fight 100 per cent.

"People ask me what I'm doing after this fight. I'm done, man."

ESPN posted the quotes on Twitter late last night, which prompted a flurry of replies from fans who were quick to share their reactions to his comments.

One wrote: "He should have been done a long time ago."

Another added: "They have to try to hype up this fight as much as they can, but both are damaged goods at this point."

A third commented: "Damn, got the ticket sales and bounced, not even teasing the chance of a Conor Benn fight for the PPV sales lol."

Khan, 35, has travelled over 5,400 miles to train in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado Springs, recently teaming up with Terence Crawford's trainer Brian 'Bomac' McIntyre, to get ready for his showdown with the Special One.

Describing the extreme training conditions, Khan told Sky Sports: "It's a massive shock to the system.

"Not only a shock to the system when it comes down to the temperature but a shock to the system because of the altitude as well so it makes it even harder.

"Overall, training is going really well. I feel fit, I feel sharp, and all the conditioning is on point.

"You know, we all have injuries, all the sportsmen and women. When you're at the elite level, we always have to overcome those pains, and you have to override them.

"Yeah, I have pains, I've got injuries when I'm in training. I've just sparred today and I still have to overcome those injuries because I can't think of them, I just have to get on with my job, my job is just to be ready for February 19.

"Obviously, the aches and pains are there, I'm getting older as well, sometimes you don't recover as quick. I am 35 now, I'm not like when I was 25 where I would recover after a tough session, now the body takes a bit of time.

"But it's good because I know that if I can keep on pushing myself with those pains, with those aches and tightness, then I'll be fine come fight night because I'll be nice and recovered and fresh as well."

February's fight card features Frazer Clarke's professional debut and the return of Adam Azim and Hassan Azim.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But remember they're not doing this to milk it and get a pension pay day.

They're doing it for the fans and to give boxing something back
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whenever a fighter knows they are in their last fight, they try and convince themelves that its the last time they have to go to training camp, the last time they have to diet, and the last time they have to get punched in the face, and they tell themself that means they will train even harder and dedicate themself even more for their 'last great hurrah'

It doesnt work like that because there are no consequences for losing, their career is not at stake and they are not propelled by fear. They cut the extra 1% of effort and they wont leave it all in the ring on the night.

Ordinarily, i would say that Kham loses the fight and Brook is even more of s favourite now. But Kell knows its his last fight too, he just hasnt said so yet.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kell Brook confirms rematch clause in grudge bout with bitter rival Amir Khan

Kell Brook has confirmed a rematch clause in the agreement for next month’s grudge bout with bitter rival Amir Khan

Brook and Khan will finally meet in Manchester on February 19, after a career’s worth of dancing around each other amid growing enmity.

The 35-year-old fighters had both harboured thoughts of retirement after this showdown, but any such plans could now be on hold.

Former IBF welterweight champion Brook insisted nothing will settle his feud with Khan, with the pair holding bitter resentment against each other.

Asked about a rematch clause, Brook replied: “I’ll be honest with you, I leave it all to my manager and my team. All I’m interested in is this fight.

“But I do know that there’s going to be a rematch in that. So if Amir Khan wants another beat down, he can have one!”

Asked if a defeat would make him consider his future in boxing, Sheffield fighter Brook continued: “I think some things I said before were taken out of context. A fighter who’s used to winning never has losing in their mind. I don’t think for a second about losing this fight.

“Every single day I’m growing in confidence, what my coach is saying, how I’m looking. Everyone in my camp, they can feel the buzz, the excitement, the body taking shape, my fitness is coming.

“The sharpness, the speed, the accuracy, it’s all coming. I’m not thinking about retirement, I’m thinking about Amir Khan on February 19. I’ve got my mojo back again and I’m really enjoying training; it’s brutal, but I’m loving it.”

Former WBA and IBF light-welterweight champ Khan has not fought since July 2019, while Brook lost to Terence Crawford in November 2020. Brook remains determined to prove himself the superior boxer, insisting he and Khan will never settle their differences.

Brook said: “It’s all animosity on my side and I think it is the same from him. There’s no love lost, we don’t like each other. This isn’t just hype, this is as real as it comes.

“I don’t like him, he doesn’t like me. And I want to punch him hard. He’s never given me any respect, or acknowledged me as a great fighter. I’ve always acknowledged him; I think he’s done great in his career and I’ve never dissed him in that way.

“There’s genuine dislike, I just don’t like his face basically. He puts things out in the media and he puts it all on me. We both know it’s never been me.

“All the years and spite between us, it means everything to both of us. There’s definitely fireworks in this fight, make no mistake.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Double cash in if they manage to put on a cracker....

Lad at work is going to pay for it. Gave him a talking to

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Double cash in if they manage to put on a cracker....

Lad at work is going to pay for it. Gave him a talking to
    Just hope for an early knockout, preferably by Brook, where there will be no need for any rematch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Last thing we need is another Haye-Bellew 2!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan has had a good career, he was a good fighter and definitely brave ....... but he does come across as a complete thick tool.

Brook will end his life feeling a bit shortchanged. he could have been one of the greats but he could never get any decent fights until too late. Fighting Golovkin finished him as a top flight guy and he has an eventful life outside the ring which probably hasn't helped.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone paying for this?

If so you should self ban for a month

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Anyone paying for this?

If so you should self ban for a month
    It's not one I'd buy, but then thinking about it, not sure there are that many fights outside of 1 or two potential heavyweight bouts I'd be willing to purchase these days.
    Last edited by TonnnnUK; 01-29-2022 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They said the tickets sold out in 10 minutes.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

meaningless fight...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Inside Amir Khan's training camp: Old foes, sparring with Terence Crawford and 'total privacy'

Amir Khan is well known for flitting between trainers during his career, but teaming up with the man who masterminded his last defeat is an unlikely switch.

Brian 'Bomac' McIntyre will be the eighth trainer former world champion Khan has had in his corner since turning professional in 2005.

The American trains Terence Crawford, who beat Khan in the sixth round of a WBO welterweight world title defence in April 2019.

Khan, 35, now needs McIntyre to help him find his old spark for the high-voltage welterweight contest against Kell Brook in Manchester on 19 February.

The late Oliver Harrison was in charge for Khan's first 17 fights before being sacked and replaced by the late Dean Powell before Jorge Rubio oversaw Khan's shocking 54-second defeat by Breidis Prescott.

Freddie Roach then trained Khan for his greatest nights, but since they split in 2012 the Bolton boxer has worked with Virgil Hunter, Joe Goossen and Clarence 'Bones' Adams. Under Roach's four-year tutelage, Khan won the WBA super-lightweight title against Andriy Kotelnik and made five winning defences, including a sensational Las Vegas points victory against Marcos Maidana.

The fight against Sheffield's Brook finally takes place when both are considered past their prime. But McIntyre insists Khan can rediscover the Roach years, when he was one of boxing's biggest stars.

"It is so far, so good. Amir is looking good in camp and I am very pleased with where he is right now," McIntyre tells BBC Sport.

"Personally, I think he can get back to where he was. He has been showing signs of Amir Khan from the days when he was fighting Maidana and other guys.

"His hands were fast and his feet were fast. I have been seeing that in the last few sparring sessions.

"If he can do that in the rest of this camp, have a great performance against Brook and win, he can be considered one of the top in what weight class he wants to go to. But I wouldn't advise him to go any higher than welterweight.

"We are making sure he can do the things that we ask of. His hand speed, foot speed and diet has to be right for Amir to perform to his highest peak."

Khan's wife Faryal Makhdoom brought the partnership together when she called 'Bomac' at his home in Omaha, Nebraska.

Did he have any doubts about taking Khan on after Crawford accused him of quitting in their fight at Madison Square Garden?

"Not at all," adds McIntyre, who also saw Brook close up when Crawford beat him 15 months ago.

"What I wanted to do was challenge myself and my team to see if we can get Amir back to where he used to be.

"The first thing we did was get Amir into the shape so he can accomplish what he wants to do in the ring.

"That was the most important thing. Getting his body together, getting his diet together, bringing his weight down and making sure he can move on his feet.

"Once you get to that point we start to go over Brook more. I have studied Brook a lot and he won't be no different from this time to last time."

The undefeated Crawford, 34, has helped in camp too, sparring with Khan in Omaha and Colorado Springs, where the team is based at the foot of the Rocky Mountains.

McIntyre adds: "From what Terence told me, he thought Amir was looking better.

"I respect those thoughts and comments. You want to hear things like that and what he needs to do more from the best in the world.

"You have to understand that Terence fought Amir and Brook, dominated both and he knows best."

Khan has also called on help from his relative and fighter Abdul Khan. At the very start of his professional career, Abdul will fight on the Khan-Brook undercard. After training in Omaha with Amir, Abdul says he was blown away by his cousin's focus under McIntyre.

"Amir has put in so much effort," he reveals.

"I felt like he was rolling back the years - he was locked in to what he was doing and totally focused, with his mind fully on the job. He's ready to go and knock Kell Brook out."

Olympic silver medallist Khan, who has won 34 of his 39 professional fights, has rarely trained at home in Britain.

That came as a relief to McIntyre, who appreciates how much the contest - where all 20,000 tickets were sold in just 10 minutes - means to British fight fans.

McIntyre explained: "I am glad that we are over here training in the middle of the United States. We have total privacy.

"We can walk into the 24 Hour Fitness gym and Walmart where nobody will know us.

"Nobody knows who Amir is and wants to take pictures and autographs and things of that nature.

"I know the fight is one of the biggest in Britain and I'm excited for my team and myself to be a part of it.

"Once we get this win, it will go down in history that our team came over there, upset Kell Brook and Amir looked like he did in 2010, 2011 and 2012."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/60187666

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This will be decided by who's in the best shape on the night and has least rust.

Thread Information