Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amir Khan v Kell Brook - Finally

Boxing promoter Ben Shalom has revealed why Kell Brook changed his gloves prior to defeaitng Amir Khan last weekend.

Brook, 35, was seen swapping his mitts after walking from his Manchester dressing room shortly before their highly-anticipated fight started.

The Sheffield-born star won by sixth-round TKO on Saturday night at the AO Arena in Manchester.

It was revealed that a contractual dispute was behind Brook’s change of gloves, which meant himself nor Khan were allowed to wear gloves containing horse hair, which are typically used by boxers with greater punching power.

“I wasn’t lying when I said throughout the promotion about the animosity between these two fighters”, Shalom said.

“There were suggestions it was pantomime, but it showed on the night it wasn’t. There was a contract in place that Amir Khan requested there was no horse hair in the gloves.

“Horse hair, unbeknown to me, my team and even some members of the board, is in 90 per cent of gloves.

“It was in 100 per cent of gloves 20 or 30 years ago. It got to the night. They passed the gloves on Friday night and everything went.

“We opened a pair of gloves very similar to what Kell had and horse hair was found in them and it absolutely kicked off. Amir nearly left the venue. Dominic Ingle told me he knew what he was doing all along, and refused to change the gloves.

“Eventually, at the 11th hour, Kell agreed to change his gloves in the ring, which you saw. I missed the whole of the Natasha Jonas fight as I was running from changing room to changing room.

“We had everyone in the back, the British Boxing Board of Control, Adam Smith had to leave his commentary desk. It was just drama. It was 50/50 as to whether that fight would happen.

“They were both convinced they weren’t going to go out. Amir was not going to go out unless Kell changed his gloves.

“In the end, credit to Kell as he changed his gloves and it didn’t really make a difference.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...er-ben-shalom/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

KELL BROOK and Amir Khan's long-awaited grudge match has proven a box office success - with numbers close to that of Anthony Joshua's.

Some scoffed at the idea of spending £20 to watch the 35-year-old pair of ex-world champion finally put reputations on the line.

Meanwhile others were willing to pay whatever the price just to see the two fierce rivals at last settle their bitter score, which spanned almost two decades.

With Eddie Hearn packing up and taking his stable to rival streaming service DAZN, Sky Sports and their new partners Boxxer have been left searching for fresh stars.

But it turns out, fan-favourites from the past proved value for money as Khan and Brook rivalled just about anything else on Sky's platform.

Promoter Ben Shalom told SunSport: “The buys speak for themselves, it was something that gripped the nation.

“Outside the top AJ numbers, it blows pretty much everything else out of the water.

“It’s the biggest fight outside of the heavyweight division, a domestic fight, that Sky have ever had.

“It was incredible, obviously a lot of people talked the fight down but it was clearly a monumental fight for British boxing.

"And the numbers, as a I say, were akin to AJ figures. Which you don’t see really at all other than the world heavyweight title fights.”

Joshua, 32, has sold over 1million PPVs on Sky Box Office before, while Khan and Brook's total has not yet been revealed.

But what was there for all to see was Brook's six-round demolition of Khan, securing bragging rights for life in brutal fashion.

The performance and result leaves Khan staring retirement in the face, which would end a celebrated and historic career.

But for Brook, he is primed for at least one more mega-money payday, if he is willing to trade what would otherwise be the perfect farewell fight.

Shalom said: "Kell is in the number one position right now. He’s got a lot of options and everyone will want to fight him.

“If he retires today, he’s gone out on a high, but there are options and he will consider them. We’ll consider what’s best for him now.

“I think he’s had an amazing experience with us and an amazing promotion with us and there’s now options for him.

“I’m really pleased for him, perhaps his career up until this point wasn’t managed in the best way and maybe took some fights that he shouldn’t have, at the wrong time and wrong weight.

“We think we did everything to give him this fight and the promotion he deserved and he worked his a*** off.

“He spent six months in the gym and he’s come out victorious and he’d probably tell you this was as big for him as it was beating Shawn Porter for his world title.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17761...nthony-joshua/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Strange not to include the actual numbers in such a statement
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probably tax reasons. Hope Khan does not initiate the rematch clause based on the success of the event.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had Brook to win but not to humiliate Khan like he did. Khan mayswell retire... he had a pretty decent career.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amir Khan has been handed a three-week deadline to activate his rematch clause and face bitter rival Kell Brook for a second time.

The British star suffered a brutal one-sided defeat to long-term foe Brook in Manchester to finally settle their bitter rivalry.

Despite the grudge match ending badly for Khan, the 35-year-old has an option to invoke a second showdown between the pair with a clause inserted in the contract.

BOXXER promoter Ben Shalom has admitted it is unlikely that Khan will choose to take up the option and believes it could be another "one sided" clash if the pair fought again.

“The problem we’ve got, and no one has mentioned it so far, is that Amir Khan has a rematch clause in his contract,” Shalom told talkSPORT.

“It’s not something we would advise and it’s something we don’t think Amir should do, but he does have that option. We have heard murmurs from his camp that he was jet lagged and didn’t take Kell too seriously.

“I don’t think it will happen, but it’s not something in our control. It is something we agreed to before the fight, something Kell agreed to before the fight and he has three weeks to decide if he wants to fight him again.

"Amir got demolished in that fight and I would expect that to happen again. But technically he would be entitled to that rematch.”

Khan was stopped in the sixth round after having the fight quickly taken away from him by Brook who dominated after a brief spell of uncertainty in the opening stanza.

The punch stats reflected Brook's dominance after the fight with the Sheffield star earnings the bragging rights on the night.

Khan and Brook showed respect after the fight and embraced during an emotional reunion backstage which appeared to mark the end of their grudge.

Would you like to see Amir Khan fight in the boxing ring again? Let us know in the comments section below

After a dejected reflection on his fight, Khan dropped a big hint that he could hang up his gloves and retire from boxing after reaching arguably the twilight of his career.

Similarly his opponent also faced calls to retire but Brook could yet face another challenge after being called out by the likes of Conor Benn and Chris Eubank Jr.

Shalom has explained that it could be much harder for Brook to walk away from the sport but believes any next fight must be carefully planned including the weight.

“He wants to continue. He wants to have one or two more," Shalom continued. "After a night like that, as much as people say walk away on a high, it’s extremely hard to walk away.

“He’s on weight and ready to go. He’s probably had the best night of his career, that’s what has been explained to me by his family.

“They are so appreciative he got that opportunity. He feels like he’s ready to go again. There are options for him, but we have to wait for this two or three week window to collapse.

"Kell will only take the right fight at the right weight, otherwise he will retire."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...match-26336067

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Enjoyed the fight. I think if it happened at any time in the past 10 years, the result would've been the same.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Thread Information