Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kambosos next fight in Australia

Kambosos says next fight will be at home in Australia.

Australian boxer George Kambosos, who stunned the boxing world on the weekend to become unified world lightweight champion, said on Monday any fighter who wants to come after his belts will have to make a trip Down Under.

With his split-decision victory over previously undefeated American Teofimo Lopez on Saturday at Madison Square Garden, Kambosos feels he has finally earned the right to call the shots when it comes to his future in the ring.

"I've had to go into the lion's den time and time again," Kambosos told Reuters. "I've beaten two former world champions and an undisputed champion back-to-back-to-back in their hometowns, against all odds in enemy territory."

"So it's deserving, it's only fitting that I take my defense of all my beautiful belts back home to Australia."

The 28-year-old Kambosos, all smiles despite showing some of the battle scares from his bout with Lopez, said he expects his next fight to be in March or April and in front of 80,000 people at a stadium in Sydney or Melbourne.

Kambosos, who is promoted by DiBella Entertainment, said the desire to return home for his next fight is also about helping to give up-and-coming Australian boxers opportunities that he never had as he made his way through the ranks.

"It's an exciting time, not only for myself but for the Australian public and the Australian people," said Kambosos.

"To bring a mega-fight there it creates opportunities for younger fighters ... and to be a part of these cards and to be on the undercard gives them exposure."

Kambosos, an aggressive but not overly powerful fighter, was originally scheduled to fight Lopez in June but had to endure a series of postponements, including one because his New York-born opponent contracted COVID-19.

Through it all, Kambosos said he never lost focus and even trained on that bittersweet September day when the birth of his child was followed by the death of his grandfather.

"I get that tunnel vision. I stay focused, I kept continuing perfecting my craft and nothing was going to break me," said Kambosos. "I trained that night. I was embedded in this fight and nothing was going to stop me."

Kambosos is excited to return to Australia with his IBF, WBA and WBO lightweight titles but had a message for anyone who may be interested in making the trek there to challenge him.

"I'm even hungrier now. Now I have the jewels, now I have everything," said Kambosos. "Trying to take them off me now when I worked so hard to get them, it ain't going to happen. I'm too focused."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kambosos next fight in Australia

George Kambosos calls Teofimo Lopez 'delusional' for reaction to losing titles

New lightweight champion George Kambosos has called Teofimo Lopez "delusional" after their thrilling fight in New York.

Kambosos pulled off a dramatic upset to claim the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and The Ring belts, but the beaten Lopez was furious with the scorecards, insisting he won after recovering from a first-round knockdown.

"He's very delusional and I think he was actually a little bit concussed," Kambosos told Steve Bunce on BBC Radio 5 Live's Boxing podcast.

It was the first loss of Lopez's career and Kambosos - who won via split decision - had no sympathy for his rival. An indignant Lopez gatecrashed Kambosos' interview in the ring to protest the result and was booed by his hometown crowd as he did so.

"He just showed his true colours," Kambosos said.

"I believe he was concussed from round one - he changed very quickly. The shots that I landed were like knives, sharp knives, splitting him open and busting him up and breaking him down.

"He was getting busted up from that jab alone, let alone the right hand and body shots," he continued.

"I believe he was concussed, very delusional. I've not got to sit here and justify my win - the world saw I won. His own fans booed him.

"If someone beats me fair and square, you beat me mate. That's it, done and dusted, it's a fight. It's a sport, it's going to happen. It is what it is. I'm never like that. I'm never a sore loser."

Kambosos moved to 20-0 with the stunning victory and plans to hold the first defence of his titles on home soil in Australia next year.

The 28-year-old will stay in America for another week so he can be ringside for Devin Haney's WBC title defence against Joseph 'JoJo' Diaz in Las Vegas this weekend.

"I will sit there and scope it out," he said. "I'm looking forward to what Haney does and hopefully we get that fight done."

Haney called Kambosos out on social media after his win, but was not the only fighter to do so with lightweight Ryan Garcia and WBO junior lightweight champion Shakur Stevenson insisting they would be prepared to fight the new unified champion.

"When you are the one being hunted, that's the way it is," Kambosos said.

"The word on the back of my shorts means, 'If you want it come and get it'. But if you want it be prepared to cop the same treatment that Lopez did. I just made Lopez look very ordinary."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/59478324

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

TAYLOR MADE ‘It was an easy fight’ – Teofimo Lopez’s dad slams George Kambosos Jr’s win and rules out rematch to eye Josh Taylor

TEOFIMO LOPEZ SR slammed George Kambosos Jr's win over his son and said they will snub a rematch to move up to Josh Taylor's division.

Lopez was dethroned of the unified WBA, IBF, WBO and WBC and WBC 'Franchise' lightweight belts by Australian underdog hero Kambosos.

But his furious dad refused to accept the loss and claimed they did not lose a single round.

Lopez Sr told SecondsOut: "It was an easy fight for him. He won every round. To me, he won every round.

"You can give Kambosos two rounds, three rounds, even four rounds, but what happened to us was just horrible."

Kambosos, 28, had Lopez, 24, down in the first round and even got up off the canvas himself in the tenth before securing the upset victory.

According to CompuBox stats, the travelling challenger landed more shots, with 182 compared to the champion's 176.

Kambsos was also connected with more power punches with 155 opposed to Lopez's 115.

The American was more accurate with 31.2 per cent of his thrown shots landing, with Kambosos scoring at 24.6 per cent.

Lopez had no rematch clause in the mandatory title defence and his dad confirmed they will not pursue a second fight.

Instead, they will move up to the 140lb super-lightweight division, where Scotland's Taylor, 30, reigns as undisputed champ.

Lopez Sr said: “No rematch, man. My mistake was leaving my son at 135 so long because in this game you gotta knock everybody out.

"If you don’t knock everybody out, this is what happens. It was a complete robbery, we dictated the fight from the beginning, aggressively, taking all those points.

"Everybody in the world knows what happened, everybody’s saying he won 9-3, 10-2, the whole arena saw it and it was just disgusting.

"I could not believe what they just did to us. But you know what, they just stained us.

“We’re gonna go up to 140, get a fight in February, and then fight Josh Taylor in the spring time. We’re still gonna do what we said we’re gonna do.

"This doesn’t change anything. I don’t believe in just decisions because they can be compromised the same way they compromised us in the Olympics.

"Everything can be bought, that’s why I teach my boy. ‘You gotta take them out.’ If you don’t take them out they could do something to us."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16876...c_article=true

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"I just made Lopez look very ordinary" - George Kambosas Jr..No delusions with this statement. The Lightweight division is stacked with challengers and is in the best shape it's been for years. Kambosas Jr can take his pick and he has every right to say "come to OZ if you want it"? Whoever beats him will know they've been in a fight! Boxing needs fighters not sore losers!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am sure Loma would go to Australia to get back his titles.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Apparently dad didn't hear the reaction from the hometown crowd. Lomachenko UD Kambosos, anywhere.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Devin has said he’ll travel, has Loma?
    I know they said they would in 2018, and again in 2019. But has he said he would recently?

Thread Information