Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Devin Haney v JoJo Diaz

Devin Haney will not make same mistakes as Teofimo Lopez, says Eddie Hearn

This week, our own Devin Haney takes on the toughest test of his career against two-weight world champion JoJo Diaz. Haney wants to cement a mega-fight in the 135lbs division, but let's be honest, is anybody safe right now?

So often in boxing, you focus on the next fight. It could be an undisputed contest, it could be a super-fight in the division - but then a fight that looks like a relatively straightforward job turns into a nightmare. That's what unfolded for Lopez against Kambosos. The idea of the four kings of the division evaporated. Kambosos, having dethroned Lopez, was even calling himself 'the Emperor' of the division afterwards.

I do think it was tight for Lopez to make 135lbs, and he was certainly edgy during fight week but he was a big favourite coming in against the Australian. Kambosos talked the talk so well all week, but many didn't expect him to be able to walk the walk.

It was a huge upset, and over the years I have seen many. But it seems to be a more common occurrence in boxing today, especially with fighters having long lay-offs due to the pandemic. Only recently in Sheffield, we saw two huge upsets on our show when Alycia Baumgardner beat Terri Harper and Kiko Martinez knocked out Kid Galahad. Kambosos was always a live dog, but the speed, power and confidence of Lopez made him a huge favourite.

That first round was one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Lopez, true to his word, came out as he told the world he would and attempted to stop Kambosos in the first round. He battered him. And with 30 seconds left, Kambosos held his feet, and let a huge right hand haymaker go on the chin of Lopez, knocking him down. That punch shook the garden to its knees.

From there, Kambosos boxed brilliantly. He probably gave away the odd round but then controlled the middle stages of the fight.

Lopez, to his credit, came back into the fight in the ninth, and then had a huge 10th round, knocking down his opponent. To be honest, I thought the fight was over, Lopez looked in full control.

But Kambosos dug deep to win the 11th and 12th in what was an unbelievable performance, and he was the well-deserved winner on the judges' scorecards.

Lopez and his dad weren't happy. In fact, I had probably three or four calls and voice notes and messages from Lopez's dad in the middle of the night, complaining that they should have got the result. I just replied on Sunday morning and said: "Just look at the responses, you lost fair and square."

For Lopez, he's still a star, and a great fighter. I expect to see him move up to 140lbs, and I think he'll be a real threat in the division.

So this week we move on to Las Vegas, and what a run of shows we have coming up. Haney v Diaz for me is one of the fights of the year. I've often said that Haney is the best lightweight in the world, so young, so smart, so fast, so slick, so clever. I believe this kid could beat them all.

But this week he takes on a new kind of challenge. Diaz is a two-weight world champion looking to become a three-weight world champion. He's tough, he's rugged, and he's clever. This is going be a brutal fight for Haney.

Unlike Lopez, I know Haney won't overlook Diaz. This is on paper a much closer fight than last week, but Haney is the ultimate professional. His preparation is always on another level. I've spoken to him recently after the Kambosos win, and he's told me that all he's focused on is Diaz.

Of course, the fight with Kambosos is there if he wins, and it's the biggest in the division. That's the real undisputed championship between two great fighters. If Haney can come through, we'd certainly sit down with Kambosos' team and his promoter Lou DiBella, and try to get that fight made.

It's such an amazing time for the division. Not only have you got Haney's brilliant fight on Saturday, but Gervonta Davis returns on Sunday in what should be a routine victory as well. Right now the new four kings - or four princes as we said last week - are Ryan Garcia, Haney, Kambosos and Davis.

But the fight for the division is Devin Haney against George Kambosos. But only if Haney can beat a very tough and rugged Diaz.

It's amazing to think that Haney is only 23, with 26 pro fights already behind him. This young man was out learning his craft in Mexico as a teenager, taking early fights in his career, and it's put him in a tremendous position. He's spent loads of time in the Floyd Mayweather gym perfecting his craft. This kid is the real deal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/59478330
    Last edited by Master; 12-03-2021 at 05:46 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Devin Haney v JoJo Diaz

Leonard Ellerbe accuses Eddie Hearn of being a ‘pathological liar’ as bitter feud continues

Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn has continued to exchange words with Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe over the profile of their respective fighters and events.

Hearn’s fighter Devin Haney, who holds the WBC lightweight title, takes on fellow American Jojo Diaz in Las Vegas on Saturday as he looks to defend his belt for a fourth time.

The following night Ellerbe’s man Gervonta Davis - the WBA regular champion in the lightweight division - defends his title against Mexican Isaac Cruz.

And Hearn has been critical of the pay-per-view model Ellerbe’s promotional outfit use compared with the streaming service DAZN that he offers.

Hearn told Fight Hype: “I’m not hating on Gervonta Davis, but what’s the bigger fight this weekend? I’m sorry, everyone is talking about Haney-Diaz. No one is talking about Gervonta against Isaac Cruz. And I’m not saying it’s a bad fight or hating on these guys. This (Haney-Diaz) is a much bigger fight and a much better fight.

“This isn’t me hating on fights, this is just reality. Gervonta Davis against Isaac Cruz, what does it do (pay-per-view buys)? 100,000? Less?

“Look, Isaac Cruz is tough and game. But it’s not that it’s a bad fight. It’s coming off the back of Crawford-Porter, Canelo. And then two weeks later - off the back of Crawford-Porter - you’ve got Gervonta Davis against someone no one’s ever heard of.”

Davis-Cruz will set American fans back $74.99. A monthly DAZN subscription costs $19.99 or you can purchase an annual subscription for $99.99.

Responding to Hearn, Ellerbe, who rose to prominence as Floyd Mayweather’s financial manager and CEO of his promotional outfit, said on Twitter: “This is the last time I’m going to address this pathological liar. Haney is an excellent fighter but this guy just lies for no reason.

“Bigger fight? You’ve sold LESS than 4K tickets in a 15k seat venue, Tank did more than that in his presale before tickets went on sale.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JOJO DIAZ has been left inspired by George Kambosos Jr's heroics - and will use it as motivation to land an undisputed title fight with him.

Kambosos beat the odds and Teofimo Lopez at the same time last weekend in New York, winning the WBA, IBF, WBO and WBC 'Franchise' belts.

The only missing jewel to officially become undisputed lightweight king is Devin Haney's full WBC title, which Diaz challenges for on Saturday.

The determined American, like Kambosos, is the betting underdog and will use the Australian's performance to inspire an upset of his own.

Diaz, 29, told SunSport: “I’m already motivated due to the fact this is everything I ever dreamed of.

"Fighting in Vegas as the main-event for the WBC lightweight title, broadcast on a primetime network like DAZN.

“This is already everything I ever dreamed of, so that motivation is already there, but to see something like Kambosos win, it’s not shocking as it is boxing.

“But it did give me that extra motivation as I know that anything can happen in boxing and I know that I’ve put in the time and effort.

"God’s going to bless me with the victory.”

Haney, 23, who is promoted by Eddie Hearn, had verbally agreed to put all the titles on the line with Lopez, 23, just days before Kambsos, 28, spoilt the party.

But already, the unbeaten champ has turned his attention to the newly-crowned lightweight ruler, who will be ringside to watch in Las Vegas.

Now, like Kambosos did to Lopez, Diaz plans to throw yet another spanner in the lightweight works and steal not only Haney's title, but the shot at undisputed glory.

He said: “After this fight, I want to challenge Kambosos for the undisputed.

“If everything goes well and I end up looking spectacular, and Kambosos wants to fight and DAZN and Eddie Hearn are with it too, we can make it happen.

“I’ve already seen and witnessed everything that can be thrown at me in the ring and nothing that Devin Haney has to offer is anything new.

“I’m just going to go out there, look spectacular Saturday night by applying a lot of pressure and using my ring generalship, my experience, my boxing tactics.

“But also my speed and power as well. I’m excited to go out there and perform and shock the world and the lightweight division."

Haney never technically won the famous green and gold belt in the ring, instead being elevated from 'interim' champ to the full title.

That came after Vasiliy Lomachenko, 33, was moved to 'Franchise' status, before Lopez's triumph over the Ukrainian in October 2020.

It has led to Haney's rivals levelling accusations of legitimacy against him, one of Diaz's biggest verbal weapons in the build up to their fight.

He said: “I just want to punch him in his face for all the s*** talking he’s been doing.

“I just feel like he made it here the easy way, not the hard way and I want him to pay for that.

“I’m going to do everything possible to try and knock him out, of course, I’m not going to be overwhelming, swinging and look for the knockout.

“I’m going to be fighting smart and fighting defensive and making sure I’m applying the right pressure.

"If the opportunity presents itself when I have him hurt, best believe I’m going for the knockout.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16901...r-devin-haney/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heart is with a refocused matured Diaz, but brain says Haney all night over 12. May even need to grab a pillow with Haney looking ahead to the lottery that is tough Kambosos but this is the spot for Haney to finally put some meat on the bone with Diaz.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a really good match up, perfect proving ground for the young Haney who I think is super talented but even though it was just one fight v a very good but old fighter, Linares did a bit more than just hurt Haney, he nearly had him out of there... Of course Haney deserved the decision but the damage he took towards the end is pretty worrying but luckily for us and him, he gets to go up against a tough in form good fighter to cast away any doubts before he tries to unify...

And of course Haney could just lose..... But I'm backing him to have learned from the Linares fight and take a comfortable UD, it'll be hard work but I think he'll do it.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Main card has started, big face mark Castro knocks down his opponent in round on, won't last long

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure about Filip. Big guy strong guy. Wide and flat footed guy too. Somehow he's made it the number 3 for the ibf so he needs to pick it up quick.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think hrgovic looks that good at all, his jab isn't great and he really gets hits too easily and seems unaware of how to avoid anything :S... Pretty powerful and better than a fair few guys but I doubt he'll have a great career.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Montana Love looked top notch last out. Wins biggest fight of career, gets signed by major promotion and then intentionally blows weight by 4 lbs here. This is what makes you root for upsets.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Love scores 3 KDs opponent recovers in 3rd and ref stops it in the middle of Diaz throwing a combination. Diaz protests but it's all in the cards at start. Love has personality and quality skill but another young kid stacking the odds and Matchroom-Dazn can't get enough of it. Time for hopefully a nice main event!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think some aspects of current boxing have made me very cynical . Diaz in the back already gloved and tapped up pacing the room, Haney just now stretching out and putting his trunks on. Whole card is being stretched out into now a 4th hour. Different kind of 'pressure' on Haney for him to push back on. We all know Jo Jo is going to sit in his chest. Does he bicycle it out or stand in. Get the feel if Haney commits early he can bust Diaz up very badly midway.

504 Gateway time out and site dropping off big time

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like that version of Haney in 1st. Very sharp. Perched on the front foot firing hard jab combo and body work.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Better 2nd and closer for Diaz but getting clipped by that whipping right upper regularly. Haney picking some nice spots but can't get happy feet.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Solid last minute of 3rd for Diaz. Shoulders and short shots of his own. Not enough for round but more holes for Haney to punch through

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haney down!!....and he slipped . Diaz is firing up right now in 4th

Thread Information