Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Conor Benn v Chris Algieri

Conor Benn 'will' fight winner of Amir Khan vs Kell Brook if he gets past Chris Algieri.

Conor Benn has insisted he will face the winner between Amir Khan and Kell Brook if he beats Chris Algieri.

Benn, 25, will fight former WBO super-lightweight champion Algieri at the M&S Bank Arena in Liverpool on December 11, a month before Khan and Brook clash in their long-awaited grudge match.

The British welterweight believes the experienced American will be able to give him a proper test of his abilities where his previous opponents have failed to do so.

And while Benn is years behind Khan and Brook in terms of experience, he fancies his chances of winning a scrap against the victor to decide Britain's best welterweight.

Speaking to Boxing Social, he said: "I will fight the winner of that fight.

"They both reckon they are the best welterweights in Britain, I beg to differ.

"I don't know we will see how many people are actually still interested in it, I don't know how much speed Khan has got left and I don't know how much Kell Brook's timing is still there, you just don't know.

"But I am leaning towards Kell because all Kell has got to do is land and he'll follow through, but I don't know.

"It is a 50/50 fight and it is the same 50/50 fight it would have been years ago."

Benn, undefeated in all 19 of his fights, has been fine-tuning his skills with trainer Tony Sims following his victory over Adrian Granados.

He added: "I mean, he says I haven't been tested, well that's because every fighter they've put in front of me was supposed to test me and ain't.

"Jussi Koivula, like three-time European challenger, got banged out in two rounds. [Sebastian] Formella, got beaten over ten rounds. Samuel Vargas, got banged out in one round, and Adrian Granados, he wanted to run, so that was that, but if he wanted to fight, would've got banged out too.

"We've tried to get these sort of tests in but none of them people have managed to do so and I believe Algieri will be the man to test me and show the qualities I'm made of.

"If he don't believe I'm at this level, well, he'll soon find out, because you don't get the rankings I'm ranked at for nothing."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Conor Benn v Chris Algieri

Fair play, this guy talks a lot for a guy whose done fuck all. Leave the circus to the clowns and fight Avaneysan or even Josh Kelly if you’re serious about your career.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A good acid test would be a Josesito Lopez for young Benn at least. Algieri still ring wise in comeback but more of a face now. Call out Mikey too and come to the States again. 147 is opening up for young talent no better time to step into the fray.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Conor Benn a chip off the old block but fuelled by desire to be his own man in a dangerous welterweight division roamed by Terence Crawford, Errol Spence Jr and Jaron Ennis

Conor Benn has proved in two must-win rematches that he’s heading in the right direction in the boxing ring, even if only one of those return bouts can be seen on his professional record.

The welterweight contender – who takes on American Chris Algieri this weekend live on DAZN – had his toughest test as a pro when he got up from two first-round knockdowns to outpoint journeyman Cedrick Peynaud in a six-round war in 2017.

The result was a win and a standing ovation from a packed York Hall, but the performance was damning. Nigel Benn might have loved a tear-up but even he remembered to tuck his chin (most of the time) and would not have been caught squared-up on his heels as his son was for that first knockdown.

In 2018, Conor Benn boxed better in dominating a rematch with Peynaud. But it’s the gradual improvements that have continued since which is truly impressive. But Conor might argue that it was only his second most dangerous two-fight saga.

As a teenager first dipping his toe into boxing in Australia, Benn sparred with his father, the ferocious punching former two-weight world champion. Conor goaded his dad into throwing that famous right hand which Nigel had been holding at bay. The result: a knockdown, a bloody nose and a chipped tooth that the 25-year-old retains to this day.

A couple of years later, when Conor was 18, they fought again and this time the youngster more than held his own, earning his old man’s respect. But gaining the respect of the boxing public – who saw a kid with a famous name but no real amateur pedigree turn pro to a fanfare in 2016 – was always going to be tricky.

The worst thing Conor could try to do was copy his dad in the ring, an extraordinary warrior with TNT power. Loading up on every punch was going to leave him in a Peynaud I situation: sporting swollen eyes and a bruised ego.

But Conor does share aspects of his dad’s character that can be used to his advantage. For a start, he’s cliche-free and honest in interviews, radiating the same spiky, working-class charisma of his dad. “No more fun and games. If you’re in my way I’m going to iron you out,” is a quote from the son but, let’s face it, you can picture either man saying it.

Nigel was rarely short of motivation either and, while Conor’s background is different from his father’s, they both know how to use doubters to fuel themselves to work harder in the gym. For Conor, it’s a reverse engineering job. Everyone knows he had a privileged upbringing due to his dad’s in-ring earnings; that he didn’t have the financial need to box many others have.

But instead of that being a source of complacency, Conor neatly spins it on its head: if I’m choosing to box, when I could do anything else, what does that say about me? It says that the hunger comes from within. It says that even when making good money, my motivation to prove myself to people will not stop. He has created a chip on his shoulder to match that chipped tooth.

While escaping his dad’s shadow is a near-impossible task, Conor has also made smart moves outside the ropes. He’s worked to improve his craft under an excellent trainer in Tony Sims, rather than hop about searching for a big-name hired gun. Unlike a certain other British boxing family with a famous name from the 1990s, we have been spared the sight of Nigel Benn in a sleeveless suit working his son’s corner. Nigel may be an inspiration, but he’s wisely less involved in the day-to-day work.

Still, there will always be similarities. Conor has expressed his disdain for boring boxers and he’ll always look to follow-up fast if he catches an opponent clean, even if he doesn’t quite have the same pop of his pops. Nonetheless he does have good power, a crisp jab, puts his punches together sharply and sets himself well in that familiar wide Benn stance. He may never be a defensive wizard but in distance wins over solid contenders Sebastian Formella and Adrian Granados, he’s shown improved patience.

The slow and stable increase in the quality of his opposition speaks to clever matchmaking from Eddie Hearn and Algieri looks like another good name picked at the right time. The tall veteran has world-level experience and has only lost to Manny Pacquiao, a 2015-vintage Amir Khan and Errol Spence Jr. He’s won four since, including a defeat of Britain’s Tommy Coyle, but is 37 and relatively inactive. His best years are likely behind him.

The opposite can be said of Benn. Unlike the frustratingly inactive Chris Eubank Jr, Conor appears to be climbing a steady path of improvement, fuelled by the naysayers but gradually trying to be less like his father and becoming his own man and boxer.

Welterweight is a talent-rich division with two of the world’s pound-for-pound best in Spence and Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford at the top of the tree, then two of the hottest prospects in boxing – Jaron ‘Boots’ Ennis and Vergil Ortiz Jr – coming up fast behind them. Add in the fact that undisputed light-welterweight champion Josh Taylor may move up to 147lb at some point and these are shark-infested waters Benn is dipping his toe into.

But when a boxer is showing measured improvement with every fight, then you can never be quite sure how high the ceiling is. And one more thing that Conor can look to his old man for inspiration: Nigel never backed away from a challenge. If he’s to reach his eventual goal of fighting for – and winning – a world title belt, Conor Benn might need to show once more that he’s made of the same stuff.

Conor Benn fights Chris Algieri live on DAZN this weekend, with world lightweight champion Katie Taylor also in action on a cracking card in Liverpool

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/9...rol-spence-jr/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sunny Edwards is facing Mama in the middle East now and whilst it is not on the undercard of this thread it is on box nation. Decent scrap so far.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mama is an undefeated boxer from Philapeans and giving Sunny a torrid time for this IBF Flyweight title. Sunny Edwards is moving around, switch hitting and working hard to stay in front.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sunny Edwards wins and successfully defends his title. Ready to unify the flyweight against Martinez.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sunny Edwards wins and successfully defends his title. Ready to unify the flyweight against Martinez.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cordina is on at the moment facing Khatchatryan.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Long way to go to get blasted out on wooden pegs there Lundy. Good ko for Davies. Rooting for Sharipova for all the wrong reason

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Love seeing Nigel Benn at the fight. Nearly about to start now.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn starts fast and aggressive in the 1st round chasing the taller Algieri. Benn landing good jabs and body shots. Algieri is constantly moving and landed a good left hook.

1 nil Benn.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn showing good head movement and landing hard body shots in round 2.

More measured and smarter work from Benn as he knocks down Algieri with a left hook which was more of a trip and shot to the back of the head.

2 nil

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Algieri started round 3 more aggressive taking the centre of the ring at times and landing quick punches. Better round from him but the aggression of Benn wins the round.

3 nil

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn knocks out Algieri with a huge right hand in round 4. Very impressive performance from him.

Benn is getting really good and would wipe out Khan or Brook.

Thread Information