Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Leigh Wood v Michael Conlan

Brilliant fight but still not sure how Conlan is so just waiting to hear he is ok. I want to see a replay of the end.

How Wood came back I do not know. Conlan was winning early but was getting tired. This was a classic fight. Wood pulls out the victory when he would have lost the decision.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Couldn't get a clear look but appeared Wood landed a short right around forehead, Conlan slumped both arms draped straight down and reeled back thru ropes. Just a brutal fight and back from the brink finish.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the knockout if anyone missed it
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1502795275030564867
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh wow, that was quite the ending.... Conlan buggered that though and I think he got greedy and wanted to stop wood, he was doing some damage to wood who I still don't think is very good but he's certainly very tough and must hit hard..impressive stuff for Wood to survive the 11th round and knock down Conlan at the end of it. I also haven't seen any update on how Conlan is doing right now.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Conlan is apparently awake and stable in hospital.

Just incredible stuff. When you think boxing might have kicked you in the balls for the last time and you're contemplating walking away. It shows you a bit of love back with miracles like Gill and Wood and gets it's hooks firmly back into you.

Wood was second best for all but a couple of minutes there. He never ever seemed to be present in the fight until the knockdown. Then it happened. Amazing grand stand finish. Seemingly innocuous short right hand and Conlan's lights were out. I've no idea why fighters are able to fall clean out of the ring. Seems a pretty simple problem to solve.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On second viewing (some dude on Instagram) from the side angle. The finishing punch was a chiller. Hit straight through him.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Oh wow, that was quite the ending.... Conlan buggered that though and I think he got greedy and wanted to stop wood, he was doing some damage to wood who I still don't think is very good but he's certainly very tough and must hit hard..impressive stuff for Wood to survive the 11th round and knock down Conlan at the end of it. I also haven't seen any update on how Conlan is doing right now.
    Conlan was trying to nick the last few rounds as he was ahead. Wood had to press the fight which was why Conlan had to fight back hard so do not think he was voluntarily trying to knock out Wood. Conlan was forced to fight that way.

Turned into a classic fight where both fighters gave everything. The ending put a sour note on a brilliant contest.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First of all, 100% legit knockdown. I know there are some that are arguing otherwise, but I think there's an awful lot of virtue signalling from boxing commentators at the moment on the back of Taylor Catterall and they're going against the call out of obligation. Trying way too hard. A legitimate punch landed and he went over. He slipped for sure, but I don't care what happened to his feet.

Initially I thought how the fuck is he slipping way out there. OK not exactly center ring, but not exactly in his corner either. The it dawned on me. His cut man was going full on Tony Duke spraying water at him every time he came back to his stool. He was saturating that area of the ring all fight. Funny old game init.

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Michael Conlan: 'When I woke up I was like, 'what happened? Did I lose?'

Michael Conlan says he is "devastated and heartbroken" after being knocked out in the final round of Saturday's WBA featherweight title showdown with Leigh Wood.

Having dropped Wood in the first round, Conlan was leading on the cards heading into the 12th and final round.

But Wood produced a knockout which saw Conlan unconscious for "a minute or two" after falling through the ropes.

"When I woke up I was like 'what happened? Did I lose?'," said Conlan.

Amid worrying scenes, the Belfast boxer received treatment ringside and was taken out of the Motorpoint Arena in Nottingham on a stretcher.

The 30-year-old woke up in an ambulance on the way to hospital and said "it felt like a dream".

"I was devastated. I was annoyed, I got a bit frustrated and I was confused. There was a realisation as things started to kick in," he added after suffering the first defeat of his 17-fight professional career.

"I believed it was going to be my night, it was going to be my night until that punch. It's just unfortunate but these things happen."

After being taken to hospital, Conlan was discharged "within the hour" after having scans, blood being taken and an MRI.

"Everything is clear and there is nothing to worry about. It was nice and quick, and once they got the results back they said I could go," he said.

"It wasn't long, I was probably back in the hotel for 2am. It is what it is, I'm heartbroken but I got beat so can't complain.

"It was just a shot I didn't see. I turned my head and I wasn't looking - any shot that's coming that I could see I could take, but that one got me and took me out.

"It's the ones you don't see that are the ones which do the damage."

'I want a rematch'
    Conlan praised Nottingham native Wood for his muted celebrations while he was receiving treatment following his fall and said the bout, which promoter Eddie Hearn described as "one of the greatest comebacks", deserves a rematch.

"I want a rematch. I think the performance, with me leading on the cards, deserves a rematch," he said.

"I think I've slept an hour. I've been on my phone looking at things. I've been off social media so I was seeing everything and there was loads of positive stuff.

"At the same time, I lost. I hate losing. It's the worst feeling in the world for me."

Conlan said he spent the night watching the fight back and said he was surprised Wood recovered from being knocked to the canvas in the first round.

"I knew I was winning, and when I watched it back I was winning," he added.

"It was a great shot and he fell like a bag of bricks. I was surprised he got up and then he had a minute to recover.

"Like I said in the build-up, he has big heart.

"I slipped in the 11th and that really annoyed me. There might have been a punch thrown at the same time, but it was legit a slip.

"That changed the whole plan for round 12. I was going to box and move, I felt I had to win it.

"I know it was a good fight and I was in control. There were things in there I should have done better, and at the end of the day I am at fault and I am the guy who lost."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/60701782

Thread Information