Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Leigh Wood v Michael Conlan

Leigh Wood v Michael Conlan: WBA featherweight title fight to be held in Nottingham.

The WBA featherweight title fight between Leigh Wood and Michael Conlan is set to take place at Nottingham's Motorpoint Arena on 12 March, BBC Sport NI understands.

Conlan has agreed to travel to belt holder Wood's home city after New York, Manchester and Belfast had all been considered.

The venue is likely to be confirmed by Matchroom Boxing this week.

The contest will be Wood's first defence of the belt he won in July.

Having been drafted in on just six weeks' notice, the 33-year-old stopped China's Xu Can in the 12th round to claim one version of the WBA's world title - with Mexico's Leo Santa Cruz holding the sanctioning body's 'super champion' belt.

Last month, Conlan expressed his desire to have the fight on St Patrick's Day, 17 March, in New York, but has agreed for it to be staged in Nottingham a week earlier.

The undefeated Belfast fighter moved to 18-0 in August by defeating TJ Doheny to claim the WBA's interim belt in front of home fans at Falls Park.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/59739893
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Leigh Wood v Michael Conlan

Leigh Wood inspired by Carl Froch experience for title defence against Michael Conlan

Nottingham's Leigh Wood has promised a night to remember when he defends his WBA featherweight title against Michael Conlan in his home city.

They will meet at the Motorpoint Arena on 12 March with 33-year-old Wood aiming to end Conlan's unbeaten record.

Wood is taking inspiration from former world champion Carl Froch who is also from Nottingham.

He was due to appear on a Froch undercard at the same venue 10 years ago, but his bout did not go ahead.

"It was good to get the experience of being part of a big show and seeing how Carl reacted and the people around him, how they reacted in big fights," he told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"It's going to mean everything (to headline). I've wanted to do that since I was 10 years old. I watched it with Froch, I watched his profile grow.

"My profile has kind of grown overnight since my last fight. It's going to be special for me and it'll be a night I'll remember for a long time."

Wood won the title with a 12th-round stoppage of China's Xu Can last summer to improve his record to 25 victories in 27 contests.

It was a decade in the making following his professional debut in 2011 and he says he will not be "climbing the ladder again" following the Conlan fight.

"I remember being here 10 years ago for the Froch v (Lucien) Bute press conference - who can forget that night in Nottingham Arena, and I'm so pleased for Leigh Wood," said promoter Eddie Hearn.

"The atmosphere is going to be unbelievable. Leigh is on the brink of becoming a big, big name in the sport and (this could) probably open doors to a big fight at the City Ground as well."

Conlan, from Belfast, has won all 18 fights and Wood said: "He was a good amateur. He's not done too bad as a pro, he's been looked after a little bit but he is good, he is skilful, and I've got to be careful.

"He's slippery, he's good at adjusting but there's a lot of things for me to capitalise on and explore and I'm going to do that."

He added: "I'm getting the win regardless, but I do think I'll get him out of there. What we're working on, the strategy, how that affects the fight, will get me over the line."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/60059702

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't see the hype for Conlan and I'm firmly not on the train. But I don't think Leigh Wood is the one who will de-rail it.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'He's a blind face I need to annihilate' - Michael Conlan bullish for Leigh Wood showdown

Michael Conlan says he's "ready to go" for his WBA featherweight title fight against champion Leigh Wood in Nottingham on 12 March.

The 30-year-old from Belfast gets his shot at the world title after winning all 18 of his fights.

"I don't really know Leigh - I don't have respect for him at the minute until after the fight," said Conlan.

"I don't hate him personally but as a fighter I dislike him. He's a blind face which I need to annihilate."

He added: "The pressure is off me, I'm not the world champion, I'm the underdog. I'm ready to go - I've always said when my opportunity comes I'll grab it with both hands.

"My opportunity has now come so it's time to grab it. My last two performances show I'm ready - it's against Leigh Wood so happy days, let's go."

Fight promoter Eddie Hearn said at Thursday's press conference in Belfast that the WBA featherweight super champion belt could also be on the line at Motorpoint Arena.

Hearn expects Leo Santa Cruz to vacate the title having not fought at the weight in two years. Wood currently holds the sanctioning body's 'regular' world title, but Hearn anticipates the bout being upgraded.

The promoter also said the winner of the contest would face the victor of Josh Warrington and Kiko Martinez's IBF featherweight world title showdown on 26 March in a summer unification fight.

Fighting in Wood's home city in front of a sell-out crowd holds no fears for Conlan as he aims to add a world title to his Olympic bronze medal.

"I'm delighted with the venue - my dad has been saying for months that he wanted me to go into his backyard and take the title from him," he added.

"So let's do it. You have to have that little chip on your shoulder and to be ready to go to war with anybody. I think I've showed I have that fire in me to go anywhere and do what I want to do.

"I went to Nottingham on Wednesday and acted the same as I am a day later, whereas he's changed. Little small wins over a period of time add up and create that doubt in his head.

"I'm going in there to try and take a world title off someone in their back garden. The better opponent I face the better performance you'll see.

"Leigh wasn't on my radar 12 months ago, but with a string of performances he's in the position he's in now - he's world champion, unbelievable, and now I've got to beat him."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/60072355

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leigh Wood has already revealed City Ground possibility ahead of Michael Conlan fight

Leigh Wood has already stated he is completely focused ahead of his bout with Michael Conlan, which represents a final hurdle before a 'dream' fight.

Wood will make the first defence of his WBA featherweight world title belt against Conlan this weekend, before a potential clash at the City Ground if he is victorious.

That fight would be expected take place at Nottingham Forest's home ground, which would mark a dream for Wood's career, but he's not looking past the upcoming contest with the heavily-fancied Conlan for now.

Speaking in January, Wood said: “I’m extremely focused, I was here as a young boy watching (Carl) Froch do it, I was supposed to fight on that bill.

"To come here and watch Froch do it gave me that experience, how we handled the pressure throughout the week, I was taking it all in because I knew my time would come.

“Ten years old I wanted to do this, I wanted to be here in this seat right now and I’m not going to let it slip.

"I’m one fight away from a City Ground fight which is my dream and I’m not letting it slip.

"“I’m not looking at that fight [Warrington], I’m not bothered about the belt, or the money. I’m here to do a job, I’m focused on Conlan and I know what I need to do to win.

"I’m working on the next seven weeks, practicing exactly what I need to do to come out and get the win. After the fight, we’ll look at what’s next and the belt situation."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fuck me with the articles. come on leigh
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ryan waited too long. Unlucky.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a suspicion that Brits may not get decisions tonight lol.

Thank you Mr Ian John Lewis.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very good win by Gary Cully! Vazquez maybe a but past it but good non the less!
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    I was not impressed with Cully.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agyarko taking on Rubio which looks a good contest.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agyarko trying to land that big right cross against the southpaw Rubio. When he does it will be over.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    I was not impressed with Cully.
    I was not impressed either, however I said good win.

Which it was for him.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Agyarko trying to land that big right cross against the southpaw Rubio. When he does it will be over.
    Rubio is for the taking. Agyarko is being the bully.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rubio busted up but should make it to the end.

Thread Information