Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Vasiliy Lomachenko v George Kambosos Jnr

Lightweight boxer Vasiliy Lomachenko “wants his titles back” and has approached George Kambosos Jnr about a potential bout, according to Top Rank’s Todd DuBoef.

Lomachenko was WBO, WBA and IBF lightweight champion between 2018 and 2020 but lost his belts to Teofimo Lopez. Lopez then lost the titles to Kambosos Jnr in his first defence.

Promoter DuBoef has hailed Lomachenko and backs him to regain his belts, telling Sky Sports: “Lomachenko is a poster boy for many things in the sport. He was aggressively matched - he came right out of the amateurs and fought for a world title [in his second fight].

“He doesn’t look at a setback as his value going down. He looks at it like a re-set to go forwards. He has come back with two brilliant wins and he never says no to any opponents. He wants his titles back.”

He added about the potential title fight with Kambosos Jnr: “Lomachenko has made it very evident to us, and to his team, that it’s the fight he would like.

“We are amicably trying to have discussions with them for a fight in the first half of next year.”

Lomachenko was asked about his chance to regain the title before he defeated Richard Commey at Madison Square Garden earlier this month.

He was confident in his answer, saying: “I want to fight him [Kambosos Jnr] but the only question is, does he want to fight me?”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Vasiliy Lomachenko v George Kambosos Jnr

Both ducking Haney.

Tell me otherwise.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Winner faces Haney.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's where I'm at with 135 and never known as the biggest Loma fan. Or Tank it'd be massive. Both imo more accomplished and fan friendly style fights than Haney at this point who should let his hands go as much in the ring as he does on social media. But I think we're heading to trinket fracturing regardless of who Kambosos fights. This division is overdue to sort itself out!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

devin is an easier fight for george. loma is a better challenge
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Both ducking Haney.

Tell me otherwise.
    It’s embarrassing for the sport at this point. Loma dumped his belt to not fight him 3 full years ago. And still wouldn’t fight him when he was without a belt and offered a title shot.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Kambosos Jr welcomes fights with lightweight rivals Devin Haney and Vasyl Lomachenko

George Kambosos Jr 'loves' the idea of fighting Devin Haney and Vasyl Lomachenko - but drew the line at rival Ryan Garcia.

Australia's unified lightweight king is currently in the process of planning his next move following his split-decision win over previously unbeaten American Teofimo Lopez in New York.

Kambosos Jr, 28, shocked the boxing world by climbing off the canvas to stun Lopez Jr, 24, last November in one of the biggest upsets in recent memory.

Fast forward a few months later and Kambosos is safely back home after missing the birth of his daughter last year.

The Australian's promoter Lou DiBella recently confirmed his champion boxer will make the first defence of his belts in May.

And Kambosos has revealed he would jump at the opportunity to face either Haney or Lomachenko in his next fight, but only if they are willing to travel 'Down Under'.

He told FOX Sports: "Look, my whole career has been the hard road.

"There's never been an easy option for me, I've always had to grind.

"I wouldn't be real, I wouldn't be true to myself if I sucked the crowd and said, 'Hey, I'm coming back for a defence but an easy fight, you're going to see three rounds'.

"What for? I'm coming for the big names, and we're already in negotiations with everybody.

"I love the Haney fight, I love the WBC piece. I love the Lomachenko fight, a big name worldwide, and Tank Davis as well. Ryan Garcia, he's got a huge name, I want to see him back in the ring first.

"But we are sitting here negotiating, making sure that they are going to come to Australia first. That is the most important, that they will travel down under.

"I know for a fact Haney will and Lomachenko will so that is a big plus straight away."

The Aussie also plans to clear out the entire division before teasing a eventual move up to super-lightweight as he has ambitions of becoming a two-weight champion in the future.

Kambosos added: "I'm chasing greatness as well here in the lightweight division.

"My body, the way that I am built as a lightweight, is perfect.

"There are some good names here, great names, in the lightweight division that I need to take out and I will take out one by one.

"And then we'll see, maybe in two or three years time, we'll see what interests me.

"I will look to take another belt somewhere else as well eventually but for now I've got business here at lightweight."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Devin Haney could miss out on undisputed fight with rival George Kambosos

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is planning to push for a huge clash between Vasyl Lomachenko and Kambosos which could leave Haney waiting for an 'undisputed' shot at the Australian

Devin Haney could miss out on an undisputed clash with George Kambosos as Vasyl Lomachenko plans to face the Australian next.

Haney is looking to enforce a meeting with Kambosos after he retained his WBC 'regular' lightweight title with victory over JoJo Diaz.

Kambosos secured the titles with a shock victory over Teofimo Lopez and has exchanged with Haney over a potential duel this year.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is hopeful that he can push for a challenge from Lomachenko but it could rely on the future of the worsening coronavirus pandemic in Australia.

“Lomachenko wants to fight Kambosos, and we want to do that fight in Australia,” Arum told World Boxing News.

“We can raise a lot of money to do that fight, but we can’t do it in the face of Covid.The (Australian) government won’t give us money with Covid rampaging now through Australia.

"I really believe – I’m optimistic — that this is the last of the Covid with (the) omicron (variant) surging all over but not doing much damage.

“I’d like to do the fight in Sydney. We’ve explored ways that it could be done. I’m very optimistic. I know (Kambosos' manager) Peter Kahn is optimistic, but let’s see.”

Kambosos is planning a stadium-fight in his native Australia in the opening defence of his lightweight titles.

Lopez was initially touted in a potential rematch but the American will instead pursue options at super-lightweight.

Meanwhile the Australian has an eye on several options for his next fight including Lomachenko, Haney and young star Gervonta Davis.

The 28-year-old is confident that a stadium mega-fight is what his fans would want to see after his previous fights being staged in the UK and America.

"It’s going to be in May. May is going to be a great time," Kambosos told Fox Sports Australia. "The build-up, the name, there’s going to be the build-up.

"We’ve got to really let Australia know what’s going on and how big this fight will be. This will be the biggest fight in Australian history. It’ll be a stadium fight in Sydney or Melbourne. We’re in negotiations with both, and it’ll be very exciting.

“I wouldn’t be real to the crowd if I told them I’m coming back for an easy fight. What for? I’m coming for the big names, and we’re already in negotiations with everybody."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...-news-25976936

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

loma is the better fight & harder challenge
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

george wants to fight in oz & devin is almost unknown over here so i don't see that fight happening here. loma has a bigger audience here so it could happen

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lomachenko’s team ‘trying to withdraw him from Ukraine front line so he can fight for titles back against Kambosos Jr’

VASILY LOMACHENKO’S team are hoping to pull him from the frontlines of the war in Ukraine so he can prepare for a showdown with George Kambosos Jr.

The proud Ukrainian took up arms against the invading Russians last month along with countryman Oleksandr Usyk and the Klitschko brothers, Vitali and Wladimir.

But Team Loma are making efforts to try and get him out of the country so he can challenge Kambosos for the unified lightweight titles.

That’s according to ESPN, who claim the two-time Olympic gold medallist has agreed a deal to face the Aussie in Melbourne on June 5.

Lomachenko's team will face a tough task to get him out of the country as martial law has decreed that all able-bodied men between the ages of 18-60 must stay and aid the nation’s defence against Russia.

Sportsmen and celebrities aren’t exempt from the decree, although Lomachenko did in fact volunteer to take up arms before it was issued.

Photos released last month shortly after the Russian invasion began showed the 34-year-old carrying an M16 assault rifle.

Former pound-for-pound king Lomachenko has enlisted in the Belgorod-Dniester Terror Defence Battalion to defend his hometown.

His enlistment in the battalion came after he shared a call for peace with his 2.1million Instagram followers.

An excerpt of his post read: “A prayer for the peace of the whole world and the enlightenment of the peoples of the earth."

Loma’s good pal and unified heavyweight champ Usyk was also quick to take up arms against Vladimir Putin's army.

Usyk's defence of his homeland has put his blockbuster rematch with Anthony Joshua in major doubt.

AJ promoter Eddie Hearn recently said: "It's a very unique, personal, emotional situation and I don't think we can really fathom what's going on there and what's going through the minds of people involved there."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17971...s-boxing-news/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vasyl Lomachenko turns down massive fight to stay in Ukraine and defend country, opening door for Devin Haney to face George Kambosos Jr instead

Vasall Lomachenko has turned down the opportunity to leave Ukraine and train for a fresh world title fight with George Kambosos Jr.

Loma lost his belts to Teofimo Lopez in a big upset at the end of 2020, but bounced back last year with two good wins which put him in position to fight for the titles again.

In another big upset, Australia’s Kambosos Jr dethroned Lopez back in November and is now looking for his first defence.

The two top contenders to get this fight have always been Lomachenko and America’s Devin Haney.

Loma surged into pole position as he agreed to travel face the champion in his own country on June 5. It’s understood that the deal for the fight was all-but done.

However, when Russia invaded Ukraine he went straight home to be with his family.

Lomachenko also signed up for his local territorial defence force.

Over the weekend, promoter Bob Arum revealed that his fighter had been offered the chance by government officials to leave the country to train for the fight.

On Monday night though, it emerged that Lomachenko has turned down this opportunity and, with it, the opportunity to win back the belts against Kambosos Jr.

As a result, the Australian confirmed that his team have now offered the fight to Haney on June 5 instead.

Kambosos Jr holds the WBA, WBC ‘franchise’, IBF and WBO lightweight world titles following his win over Lopez, while Haney holds the standard WBC title.

There is a dispute in the boxing world as to whether the WBC’s ‘franchise’ belt should count as a genuine world title and so whether Kambosos Jr has the right to call himself undisputed champion.

The fight with standard WBC champion Haney will settle this argument.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...e-kambosos-jr/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ryan Garcia has insisted George Kambosos Jr is NOT the best lightweight in the world after recently bestowing that honour on Vasyl Lomachenko.

That’s despite the Australian boxing star pulling off the upset of the year by becoming the unified lightweight champion following his win over Teofimo Lopez.

Kambosos Jr has won every single one of his 20 fights since turning professional in May 2013, an impressive feat for the 28-year-old New South Wales native.

But 21-0 American star Garcia, who previously held the interim WBC lightweight title, wasn’t impressed with Kambosos’ performance against Lopez.

Garcia told Chris Mannix: “That was a very weird fight. Don’t get me wrong. Kudos for him for winning.

“I don’t think he’s as skilful as Teofimo Lopez. I still don’t think he’s as skilful. I think he caught Teofimo at the right time, that’s all.

“I really do believe that. It’s just my opinion. I know boxing, and I could see it, do you know what I mean?

“The thing that I do like about Kambosos is that he might not be the best talent, but he probably works super hard. So he beat talent when talent didn’t work hard, and you can never knock a guy on that.

“I wish that he makes a lot of money in the sport and he could take care of his family forever, but I will show him that he doesn’t belong in the ring with me.

“I’ll get him out of there for sure, and I’m not just talking like Teofimo. I’m actually going to do it.”

The 23-year-old Garcia instead wants to face Lomachenko for all the belts in an intriguing clash of styles.

He continued: “I do, and if it doesn’t great, I don’t care. I’m so tired. I mean my goals are obviously to win titles but I’m above titles and I’m above b*******.

“I don’t care if I could win a stupid title that doesn’t mean anything – I care about beating some good fighters.

“So if it so happens that Lomachenko gets the belts from Kambosos, I will be the first one to fight Lomachenko because Lomachenko knows I can fight.

“I think that will be a great fight because he’s shorter than me but he’s going to be trying to apply that pressure. It’s just going to be a fun fight. He’s going to be very wary of my s***.

“He knows. And I have to watch out for his pressure and his technical abilities. So I will be looking forward to that.

“If not, I want to fight Teofimo at 140, knock him out, and then hopefully get Tank Davis.

“And when I say knockout guys, I say I will knock out every single person because I don’t see anybody surviving.

“But if they do, great, I will make it into a dog fight because I love it. Boxing is fun to me. You won’t ever have an easy fight with me for sure but I will always go for the knockout.”

Thread Information