Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Warrington v Martinez 2

Kiko Martinez barely able to open his eyes following brutal world title clash with Josh Warrington, who broke his jaw in the fight

Kiko Martinez revealed the extent of his injuries sustained in the action-packed world title clash with Josh Warrington on Saturday.

The Spaniard was stopped by the referee in the seventh round after Warrington unleashed a barrage of punches that were left unanswered by Martinez.

Afterwards, Martinez took to Instagram to reveal cuts above his eye and to his forehead and, incredibly, they were arguably not even the worst injuries suffered in the fight, as promoter Eddie Hearn revealed that Warrington had broken his jaw prior to the stoppage.

It was clear from the opening bell that this would be a ferocious encounter, as Martinez was dropped in the first round with a clean right hook.

The ‘Leeds Warrior’ used his physicality throughout the fight, bullying Martinez around the ring and throwing a huge number of punches, as is typical of Warrington’s style.

This was not the first time the pair had shared the ring, as they met before in 2017, and that time Warrington came out on top as well, beating his opponent by majority decision.

There are a number of options out there for Warrington now that he has regained the IBF featherweight world title, as Warrington’s father and trainer, Sean O’Hagan, explained after the fight:

“I think what this does, it gives us options now doesn’t it? Josh has always expressed an interest in going abroad to fight in Las Vegas, or maybe New York.

“But there again, we’ve got (WBA champion) Leigh Wood in the equation haven’t we? We’ve got (WBC champion) Mark Magsayo, the possibilities now are numerous.”

As for Martinez, while he has experienced a resurgence of some sort in recent years, at 36 years old, retirement could be the best option for the two-weight world champion.

With that being said, no-one expected Martinez to become a world champion again last year by knocking out Kid Galahad in such stunning fashion, so perhaps the Spaniard has a few more surprises up his sleeves yet.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...ton-broke-jaw/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    ebanie should have lost. shout out to skye. josh is a dirty fighter
    You scored that to Roman?

To me that was a pretty clear cut case of close but clear win. Bridges got her nose in front early and kept it there. I'm not going to try and understand how a judge came up with 100-91. I'm not even sure how that's mathematically possible. One round scored even I assume.

I think scoring is under the microscope at the moment and a lot of otherwise good judges are finding fault where there isn't any. There also appears to be a need to have a close fight reflected on the score cards when that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. At the moment given the recent controversies, I don't think it's possible for someone to win clearly in a close fight without there being some level of outrage. It feels a little obligatory at the moment.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    ebanie should have lost. shout out to skye. josh is a dirty fighter
    You scored that to Roman?

To me that was a pretty clear cut case of close but clear win. Bridges got her nose in front early and kept it there. I'm not going to try and understand how a judge came up with 100-91. I'm not even sure how that's mathematically possible. One round scored even I assume.

I think scoring is under the microscope at the moment and a lot of otherwise good judges are finding fault where there isn't any. There also appears to be a need to have a close fight reflected on the score cards when that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. At the moment given the recent controversies, I don't think it's possible for someone to win clearly in a close fight without there being some level of outrage. It feels a little obligatory at the moment.
    i scored it for maria
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Thread Information