Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Warrington v Martinez 2

Thoughts.

Scheduled for March.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Warrington v Martinez 2

josh is ducking mauricio
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Warrington making the right choice but he may have regressed so may not be the formality he may think it will be. Lara needs to be next.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez isn't rematching Barry, I find that interesting, i think Warrington will have him, Kiko is the same as usual, pretty good and tough but Warrington is just a class above and i don't think he's that damaged.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing wrong with going for a paper championship if you want to be a paper champion. Keep passing that UK “world championship” around. Kid Galahad, Lee Selby, Josh Warrington. A Spaniard shouldn’t be holding a UK “world championship”

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually crazy to think that a war horse like Kiko will of been more active with bigger fights and wins than a Gary Russell Jr since they fought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think Warrington will be too busy for Kiko, and so long as he stays out of the way of any of those bombs he should win a decision.
    Needs to rematch Lara though afterwards.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Nothing wrong with going for a paper championship if you want to be a paper champion. Keep passing that UK “world championship” around. Kid Galahad, Lee Selby, Josh Warrington. A Spaniard shouldn’t be holding a UK “world championship”
    From 1984 to 2015 there has only been two Brit IBF featherweight belt holders (Hamed and Ingle) and 20 from elsewhere. 7 Americans, 6 Mexicans, 2 South Koreans, a Russian, a Puerto Rican, a Brazilian, a South African and an Australian.

Warrington wanted to fight someone from China to defend the title but was turned down by the IBF. Daft thing to say and very disrespectful to British Boxing, Martinez and all the great featherweight who have fought for the belt over the last 37 years.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was close five years ago and a bit of a slog for Warrington, but Martinez is 35 now, although you could argue Warrington is a tired 31. Decent fight.

Of course we have seen Kiko fight a lot here in the UK from European Belt onwards. Loss twice to Monroe, twice to Frampton, once to Quigg and Barrett. Beat Booth, Curran and Bernard Dunne. He has handed out 35kos but has now fought 55 times as a pro. Warrington has only stopped 7 but with only 32 fights has to be less shop worn.

Both can be stopped but Warrington is not a banger. Warrington /Frampton still right up there for me as a British classic.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Warrington focusing on world champion bid amid Mauricio Lara unfinished job

Josh Warrington is channelling all his energies into becoming world champion again but accepted there is unfinished business with Mauricio Lara.

Weeks after vacating his IBF featherweight crown in a bold attempt to pursue other world title holders, Warrington took what was supposed to be a tune-up 13 months ago but was stunned when he was stopped inside nine rounds.

An accidental clash of heads early into last September’s rematch led to a technical draw and the pair have gone their separate ways for now, with Warrington bidding to regain his IBF title on 26 March against Kiko Martinez.

Lara, meanwhile, captured attention with a brutal knockout of Emilio Sanchez last weekend but Warrington was unimpressed and is itching to settle his rivalry with the Mexican if he can beat Martinez in their rematch.

Warrington told the PA news agency: “I’m fully focused on Kiko Martinez and I’ve still got my own little goals like unifying the division but I’d just love to put it to bed.

“It’s still open with how the fight finished last time. Everyone’s been getting excited about him because of his win at the weekend but he’s not a Lee Selby, a Carl Frampton or a Kiko Martinez (fighters Warrington has beaten).

“He beat me, yeah, and I might sound contradictive but me switched on and I beat him easy.

“He’s making a bit of smoke, he’s getting a bit of excitement and he can dig. You can be a big, big hitter but it doesn’t always guarantee you world titles.”

Warrington (30-1-1, 7KOs) admitted he was taught a harsh lesson when he disregarded the threat of Lara, who before his win over the Leeds fighter was an unheralded fighter but is now regarded among the elite at 126lbs.

And while he already possesses a win over Martinez (43-10-2, 30KOs) – outpointing the tough Spaniard in May 2017 before becoming world champion – Warrington is well aware history is not guaranteed to repeat itself.

Martinez caused a seismic shock when he defeated Kid Galahad via sixth-round stoppage last November so Warrington knows he cannot let his guard down against a 36-year-old who proved he is still capable of springing a surprise.

Warrington said: “He’s always dangerous. I’ve got to be massively switched on because what he did against Galahad goes to show that if I’m not switched on, it’s good night Vienna.

“Timing, speed and reactions die off but punch power doesn’t. That was testament to it right there.

“I’ve learned that in the last 18 months more than anyone. Look at the first Lara fight, being too cocky, overlooking an opponent, thinking something was a given and ended up getting stopped in nine rounds.

“I don’t want that to happen again and it won’t be happening this time.”

Warrington was speaking at an event after partnering with StreetDoctors, a national charity that puts young people at the centre of emergency first-aid provision, empowering them to become part of the solution to violence.

He said: “It’s great to have the support of one of my partners 11 Degrees with this charity, using their commitment and reach to raise awareness about a really important initiative and support the community and young boxers.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...id=msedgntphdr

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kiko Martinez vs Josh Warrington time: When are the ring walks for fight this weekend?

This Saturday night, a rematch five years in the making sees Kiko Martinez take on Josh Warrington in hostile territory.

In 2017, the First Direct Arena in Leeds was the scene of Warrington’s controversial hometown victory over Martinez, whom the “Leeds Warrior” outpointed over 12 rounds.

Now, the pair return to the same venue as Martinez looks to exact revenge, putting his IBF featherweight title on the line in the process.

Warrington (30-1-1, 7 knockouts) was unbeaten in 30 fights before losing to Mauricio Lara last February and drawing with the Mexican in September. Martinez (43-10-2, 30 KOs), meanwhile, is seeking a third straight win with this first defence of the title that he took from Kid Galahad in November.

The fight will take place on Saturday 26 March at the First Direct Arena in Leeds.

The main card is due to begin at 7pm GMT, with ring walks for the main event expected to take place at approximately 10.30pm GMT.

Streaming platform DAZN will air the event live.

DAZN is available for £7.99 per month.

Kiko Martinez vs Josh Warrington 2 (IBF featherweight title)

Maxi Hughes vs Ryan Walsh (IBO lightweight title)

Maria Cecilia Roman vs Ebanie Bridges (IBF women’s bantamweight title)

Dalton Smith vs Ray Moylette (super-lightweight)

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Warrington accepts his career would likely be over if he loses to Kiko Martinez this weekend.

Warrington is seeking to regain the IBF featherweight title he vacated 14 months ago, shortly after which he was battered then surprisingly stopped inside nine rounds by unheralded Mexican Mauricio Lara.

A technical draw after an accidental clash of heads last September denied Warrington the chance to avenge the first professional setback of his career and the pair have gone their separate ways for now.

Warrington (30-1-1, 7KOs) has an unexpected opportunity to become a two-time world champion on Saturday and, while a return to winning ways opens up several possibilities, another defeat could spell the end.

“For me, a loss at this stage of my career, it’s more or less done, it’s as simple as that,” the 31-year-old told the PA news agency.

“I have a goal and I’m going to keep that goal to myself with how many fights I’ve got left. I think I can achieve those goals. Back in the day I used to say ‘I’ll go until the wheels fall off’. That’s no longer an option. I’ve got a young family.

“We’ll see what happens. People keep telling me there’s plenty left in the tank but I’d like to get out on my own terms, not constantly chasing it.”

Warrington overcame Martinez by majority decision five years ago but, while the Spanish veteran’s best days seemed to be behind him – even at that stage – he sprung a major surprise last November.

Martinez (43-10-2, 30KOs) was outclassed early on against Kid Galahad but showed his devastating power remains in tact by stopping the Sheffield fighter in the sixth round to claim Warrington’s old crown.

“It’s funny how the sport works. He was done, wasn’t he?” Warrington said. “When I beat him, people thought he was past it. No-one expected him to go on and win a European title and a world title again.

“I have tonnes of respect for him. he never ducks a challenge and he always brings it all. He’s an honest fighter and you need people like that.

“I always knew that if I could beat a Kiko Martinez, I could go on and win a world title because he’d mixed it with some of the best.”

Another win over Martinez would bring world title unification contests to the fore and the WBA’s ‘regular’ champion Leigh Wood has been mooted, either at Leeds’ Elland Road or Nottingham Forest’s City Ground.

But Warrington believes he has cleaned up on the domestic front – having outpointed Lee Selby, Carl Frampton and Galahad on the global stage – and he retains a longing for a major bout in the United States.

Fighting in New York or Las Vegas against any of WBC champion Mark Magsayo, WBA ‘super’ titlist Leo Santa Cruz or WBO belt-holder Emanuel Navarrete top Warrington’s wish-list if he defeats Martinez.

“Growing up watching (Ricky) Hatton and (Joe) Calzaghe over there, that was glitz and glamour,” the Yorkshireman added ahead of his return bout against Martinez at Leeds’ First Direct Arena.

“Fighting in the United States is just something I want to do. I feel like I cemented these shores when I beat Frampton straight after Selby, then I beat Galahad (between May 2018 and June 2019).

“There is the likes of Leigh Wood but there’s some real big names still out there. The options are interesting.”

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Warrington open to Leigh Wood fight in Nottingham

Josh Warrington says he would be happy to fight WBA champion Leigh Wood in Nottingham if he can regain his IBF featherweight crown on Saturday.

Leeds boxer Warrington will bid to become a two-time world champion at the First Direct Arena in his home city by beating Spain’s IBF title-holder Kiko Martinez.

Warrington, 31, is hoping to regain the same title he vacated 14 months ago, while Nottingham’s Wood successfully defended his WBA crown by spectacularly knocking out Michael Conlan earlier this month.

When asked if he would take on a possible unification fight against Wood on the champion’s home turf, Warrington said: “Most definitely.

“Listen, I’d love to go and boot the doors down at the City Ground and take the balmy Leeds lot with us and beat him in his backyard.

“But let’s concentrate on Saturday night and we’ll go from there.”

Martinez, 36, unexpectedly won the title with a sixth-round knockout of Sheffield’s former champion Kid Galahad in November last year.

Warrington wore a rubber skull-cap at a media workout at Leeds Kirkgate Market on Wednesday in a bid to have a joke at the bald Martinez’s expense.

The Yorkshireman said: “There’s no need to be bad-mouthing Kiko Martinez. I’ve got a lot of respect for him, as a lot of fighters do.

“But he did have a little pop at my bar-cut fringe. He said I looked like Jim Carey, so I thought I’d have a little go back at him.”

Warrington has already beaten Martinez, by a majority decision five years ago at the same Leeds arena on his way to his first world title.

‘The Leeds Warrior’ became IBF world champion with a split-decision victory over Lee Selby at Elland Road in 2018 and successfully defended his title on three occasions.

Listen, I'd love to go and boot the doors down at the City Ground and take the balmy Leeds lot with us and beat him in his backyard

Josh Warrington on fighting Leigh Wood
    He vacated his belt in January last year and suffered his first career loss the following month in a non-title fight against Mauricio Lara after over a year of inactivity.

Warrington’s last appearance was in a rematch against Lara at Headingley Stadium in September, which ended in a technical draw after the Mexican was cut above his left eye in an accidental clash of heads.

“Without even realising it, subconsciously, I probably took my eye off the ball in the first Lara fight and in the second one I wanted to put it right,” Warrington added.

“I obviously didn’t get the opportunity, but I learned a lot in that second fight – I am at the level and would have gone on to beat him and I felt very confident after the first round of doing that.”

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hate when there are 2 fights at the same time.

Hughes v Walsh fighting now, looks very competitive from the southpaws.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Be rooting for the old man this one of course . I like Warrington but let's be honest it should be Lara in there. But, so goes the money and promotion. Dalton Smith looked fairly sharp on the undercard. Came close to being DQ'd. Think the ref took 2 points because that may have been the most accurate and perfectly executed accidental left to the balls/left to the tip of chin he's ever witnessed.

Thread Information