Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Kings documentary - Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran

The Four Kings documentary was very good and cemented what I already knew.

I think it showed more on Leonard than the other 3 Kings. My son, watching it with me, preferred him out of the other 3 to my dismay.

I did not realise Ray was independent and had no promoter. He did not intend to become a professional and only did it to raise money for his dad’s ill-health. Leonard also got caught out for having a child out of wedlock at the time and claiming benefits. I did not appreciate how much Leonard was burning with jealously and envy when he had to watch and commentate on his rivals.

Never saw pictures of Hagler with hair or realised he had to win the last 2 rounds against Duran to retain his title. He showed far too much respect for Roberto. It was after that fight that they showed the clip where Duran whispered to Leonard that he could beat Hagler if he boxed.

Thomas Hearns, my favourite, had Manny Steward as his father figure and was huge in Detroit. Also, Jackie Kallan was involved with the Kronk team. Hearns was so confident beating Ray in their first fight he was doing the bolo punch. Also, Tommy said he wanted to knock out Hagler out in 3 rounds at a press conference so he may have planned for that rather than it was Hagler who forced him to do it. Tommy started very fast and aggressive against Duran the fight before his great battle with Marvin.

I did not know Hearn’s brother had killed his girlfriend at Tommy’s property weeks before Tommy rematch with Leonard. That was huge pressure to carry into the ring.

Duran was the anti-hero and proud Panamanian that hated the US but enjoyed beating their fighters. He deliberately verbally abused Ray’s wife in their first fight which was clever tactics.

I liked the way they filmed it linking to the history of boxing with socio-political climate at the time.

It was clever and more powerful not showing them being interviewed but using the sound of their interview over the pictures and videos.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Never saw pictures of Hagler with hair
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wasn't impressed with Leonard's retirement event when he teased Hagler.

A shithouse trick.

One of best boxing docs I've seen for sure
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Wasn't impressed with Leonard's retirement event when he teased Hagler.

A shithouse trick.

One of best boxing docs I've seen for sure
    I think Hagler got the last laugh as Leonard was desperate for the rematch and Marvin shut it down and told Ray to "get a life".

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

remember when ray leonard at thirty one & marvin hagler at thirty three were considered old when they fought?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    remember when ray leonard at thirty one & marvin hagler at thirty three were considered old when they fought?
    That is so true, now they are just hitting their peak "earning powers". Both had serious injuries and cuts that delayed fights which may have added to the "old" narrative.

I assume better diets and nutrition has helped boxers today preserve their careers into the late 30's now.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is so true, now they are just hitting their peak "earning powers". Both had serious injuries and cuts that delayed fights which may have added to the "old" narrative.

I assume better diets and nutrition has helped boxers today preserve their careers into the late 30's now.
    they had also both fought a few fifteen rounders, the amateurs weren't much different from the pros & i hear the gym wars were something else
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

they had also both fought a few fifteen rounders, the amateurs weren't much different from the pros & i hear the gym wars were something else
    Gym wars whilst training were legendary for Thomas Hearns in the Kronk gym, you are right.

Thread Information