Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joe Joyce v Christian Hammer

Joseph Parker in talks with Joe Joyce for '50-50' heavyweight clash in May.

Joseph Parker and Joe Joyce are in talks over a heavyweight clash to determine Oleksandr Usyk's WBO mandatory challenger.

Parker's promoter David Higgins says the fight could take place this year, with May the likely date.

The Ukrainian holds the WBA (Super), IBF and WBO heavyweight titles, while Gypsy King Tyson Fury holds the WBC crown.

Joyce and Parker are ranked No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, by the WBO. The New Zealander previously held the WBO belt before losing it to Anthony Joshua in 2018.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Higgins said: "He fought Chisora and dominated him so his brand equity in the world and United Kingdom is at an all-time high.

"We almost feel like it is a home crowd and he's obviously been on a lot of big PPV shows in the UK as well.

"The question is 'who next?' Joseph has signalled that he'd like to fight as soon as humanly possible. A possible opponent is Joe Joyce.

"Joe Joyce is obviously ranked No 1 with the WBO and Parker is ranked No 2. We would not take him for granted, almost a 50/50 type fight which the fans would obviously love.

"The Joyce team have reached out to us and said they're going to make a written offer. Both sides have talked about May timing, so we'll see what that offer looks like.

"If we don't think their offer stacks up then I'll counter offer them more and we'll control promoting it or co-promote with a third party."

Higgins also said if they are unable to agree terms then Parker's next fight will probably take place in the United States against either Deontay Wilder, Luis Ortiz or Andy Ruiz Jr.

He added he is also considering Michael Hunter as an alternative.

Higgins said: "I'm in the United States at the moment and Joseph Parker has signalled he'd like to do what Tyson Fury has done and go to America and beat Americans. Not many British have done that.

"Joseph has said he'll fight any of the big name and high-ranked Americans from Deontay Wilder to Andy Ruiz to Luis Ortiz to Michael Hunter, any of them we would look at.

"It will be interesting to see if any of these big name Americans are willing to get in a ring with Joseph Parker because we certainly reached out and made it known the opportunity is there.

"My job now is to model up what the American opportunities would look like, but right now to model up what the Joe Joyce opportunity would look like, so it looks like we've got a few options."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joseph Parker v Joe Joyce

Joe Joyce’s team making ‘good progress’ over Joseph Parker fight

Joe Joyce’s team have said they are making “good progress” as they seek to organise a heavyweight clash between their fighter and Joseph Parker.

Former Team GB Olympian Joyce, who won silver at the 2016 Games in Rio, last competed in July, when he stopped Carlos Takam in the sixth round.

The unbeaten 36-year-old (13-0, 12 knockouts) seemed to be targeting a fight with compatriot Anthony Joshua during a recent period of uncertainty over “AJ”’s rematch with Oleksandr Usyk, which is now expected to go ahead in June.

As a result, Joyce is still without an opponent, but New Zealand’s Parker is apparently the No 1 option.

Adam Morallee of SJAM management, who work with Joyce, told Sky Sports: “It’s a massive fight. We’re still negotiating it – it’s not finalised yet, but good progress is being made.

“It’s the biggest fight outside the top four guys fighting, it’s the biggest fight on the heavyweight scene right now.

“We hope we can land it and we hope we can land in the UK for the UK fight fans to watch Joe Joyce continue his ascent to the top of the division.”

Parker (30-2, 21 KOs) last fought in December, beating Derek Chisora for the second time in as many fights.

Parker, 30, defeated the Briton via unanimous decision, having won the pair’s first clash last May by split decision.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...346cd5669553d9

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Joyce has urged Tyson Fury not to retire - because he wants to fight the undefeated WBC heavyweight king.

Fury said his sixth-round knockout of Dillian Whyte at a sold-out Wembley Stadium on Saturday night "might be the final curtain for The Gypsy King".

However, Joyce - who is poised to meet former WBO champion Joseph Parker in July - is eager to face his fellow Englishman, who now has 32 wins plus a draw with Deontay Wilder in 33 bouts.

Asked whether Fury has more fights in him, 2016 Olympic silver medallist Joyce said: "He better have because I want to fight him at one stage. If he wants it, I'm here.

What next for Tyson Fury? AJ, Oleksandr Usyk, MMA, WWE?Tyson Fury's greatness amplified by Wembley masterclass
    "Sometimes, I guess, Fury can get a bit complacent. I thought maybe Dillian might have a chance to land the overhand right or work the body shots, but [Tyson] stayed switched on and dealt with it.

"You could see his focus and determination; he wasn't taking his eye off the ball. He is so skilled."

Joyce, who has won all 13 of his professional bouts, including 12 via knockout, last boxed in July 2021, stopping former world-title challenger Carlos Takam in the sixth round.

The 36-year-old Londoner earned a statement win in November 2020 when he knocked out Daniel Dubois in the 10th round.

Joyce has recently recovered from a broken wrist and is now looking forward to facing Parker, who has reeled off six consecutive wins, including back-to-back victories over Dereck Chisora, since suffering successive defeats to Anthony Joshua and Whyte in 2018.

On the Parker fight, Joyce added: "I'm back sparring and ready to get back to Las Vegas and back training with a proper solid camp for Parker.

"That's scheduled for July 2 - it's not 100 per cent done yet but it's pretty much there.

"Both myself and Parker want it; we're both similar, friendly guys but once we get in that ring it's going to be a different story.

"I'm No 1 in the WBO rankings and he's No 2. I'm two in WBC and he's three, so what better fight out there for both of us?"

Whyte: I should have had time after 'illegal' Fury push
    Whyte says he should have received 'extra time to recover' after he was 'pushed' by Fury, just seconds before his world title stoppage defeat at Wembley.

The Brixton man was hurt by an uppercut in the sixth round, but believes the referee should have penalised Fury for shoving him before his head heavily hit the canvas.

Whyte, who was speaking to Sky Sports at the Fairmont Hotel in Windsor Park, said: "I was buzzed but obviously I was trying to regather my senses and he proper pushed me and I fell over and hit my head on the canvas which is illegal.

"This isn't wrestling, this is boxing. I should have been allowed extra time to recover and then carried on fighting."

Could Wilder replace Fury as champion? 'I'm sure he'll be back!'
    Deontay Wilder is yet to shed light on his immediate future, but The Bronze Bomber faces a potential route back to world title glory should Fury follow through with plans to retire from professional boxing.

The 36-year-old has been out of the ring since losing to Fury via 11th-round knockout in the third and final meeting of their trilogy last October, though WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman tells Sky Sports he expects Wilder to fight in 2022.

"He's taking it easy, he's weighing up his plans for the future, he had a very busy reign as a champion, two knockout losses to Fury, difficult but he's matured and he's doing very well," Sulaiman said.

"He's having a good time with his wife, he's enjoying life but I'm sure he'll be back.

"He's one of those fighters that you rarely see in the ring that has the ability to knock somebody out with one punch and he has had many exciting fights. He's a great fighter and great person.

"I'm sure he will fight this year."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...ce4c75e4456033

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly what you like to see. Try not to go overboard but heavyweights sorting it out at varying levels. The very top, two top contenders and then a Hrgovic v Zhang, whatever that qualifies as. Now we just need Wilder and Ruiz to pull up their big boy pants and get busy.

Feels odd referring to Joyce as a "young" prospect but I've become a fan. Think it's a perfect case of now or never taking on Parker. Really fun fight on paper, I think Joyce can pull it off with that telephone poll jab in a hard scrap.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree Joyce is the best of the rest and will take on whoever is left from Fury v AJ/Usyk.

Dubois is taking on Trevor Bryan, Don King fighter.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really interesting fight this. I can't wait for all the basement dwellers to kick into gear. Joyce is slow, fights like he's under water blah blah blah. Boxing fans are as predictable as they are stupid.

I think Joyce probably grinds Parker down. It's what he does. Despite what is it a 6 year age gap? Joyce is the fresher, less miles on the clock. Parker almost exclusively has to do things the long way around and with Joyce the long way around seems longer than normal.

It seems to be the norm with Joyce fights. An opponent who might, maybe ought to be able to stick and move his way to the win. But probably won't.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The winner of Joe Joyce's showdown with Joseph Parker could face unbeaten heavyweight Frank Sanchez for the WBO world title, says the Cuban's co-manager Mike Borao.

Britain's Joyce will be looking to extend his 13-0 unbeaten record against former world champion Parker on July 2 at Wembley Arena, in a meeting of the WBO's No 1 and No 2 contenders.

Whoever emerges victorious would be in line to challenge for the WBO belt, which is currently held by Oleksandr Usyk, but Borao expects this title to be relinquished after the Ukrainian's rematch with Anthony Joshua this summer.

"I really believe that ultimately Frank will fight the winner of Joyce and Parker for a vacant WBO title," said Borao, who guides Sanchez's career with fellow co-manager Lupe Valencia.

"I don't think Joyce or Parker are big enough names to entice the eventual winner of Usyk vs Joshua, so Frank [ranked at No 3 by the WBO] will probably land on the winner of that fight for a first world title."

Could Sanchez also target Fury's title?
    Sanchez, who enjoyed a successful amateur career before turning professional in 2017, has amassed a 20-0 record with 13 knockouts, with his two most recent victories coming against notable opponents in Efe Ajagba and Christian Hammer.

The 29-year-old's impressive record has also lifted him to fourth in the WBC rankings, with the belt currently in the possession of Tyson Fury following last month's Wembley win over Dillian Whyte.

Fury has insisted that he intends to retire following his brutal stoppage victory, which would leave Sanchez as one of the top contenders for what could become another vacant belt.

"Fury is the ultimate salesman," Borao added. "Who knows if Tyson really will retire?"

"Either way, I don't think WBC will jump out and strip him immediately, so I think the Frank question regarding WBC still has time to marinate.

"The WBO route is much more likely for early 2023, in my view. One thing is for sure, Frank Sanchez is well positioned to fight for and win a world title in 2023."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...d06b0a0c15c83e

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Parker's last two fights saw him pick up wins over Derek Chisora, as the former world champion showed improvements under new trainer Andy Lee. Still relatively young compared to his other heavyweight challengers at 30 years old, Parker is looking to jump straight back into the world title picture - which is looking positive as he ranks within the top three in the WBC and WBO.
    Announced at Tyson Fury's fight, it looked as though the South Auckland native would be facing Joe Joyce.

Yet with contract talks seeming to have stalled, Parker and his team are looking for another opponent in the meantime - and the fighter of choice would be former opponent Dillian Whyte. The pair shared a 2018 classic which saw both fighters hit the canvas as Whyte claimed a hard fought win. Speaking to Sky Sports on the potential rematch, Parker's manager David Higgins believes that now is the best time for the rematch to take place.
    "We've made it clear at all times we'd fight Dillian Whyte then, or now. That stands now because Joseph would love to fight Dillian Whyte. That would be a blockbuster pay-per-view.

"It was a war. It was the heavyweight fight of the year. "It's really up to the Whyte camp I think, to signal if they are willing to have that rematch. "There is no better time for a rematch between Joseph Parker and Dillian Whyte. "Joseph is an elite heavyweight and he's got unfinished business with Dillian Whyte, so to stop Dillian Whyte on worldwide TV would be a nice step back towards the heavyweight world title, which is every heavyweight goal. "I already know that Joseph would gladly jump back in with Dillian Whyte. Anytime, anywhere. The real question is - 'is Dillian Whyte up for it? because we've got no time to dither." With the British heavyweight coming off the back off his loss to Fury, it seemed as though he shared a mutual interest in the fight with Parker.

Whyte posted an Instagram story reading: "I just want the biggest fights at this stage in my career. Let's go. Put hands on you once and will do it again." Despite the back-and-forth between the heavyweights, Higgins revealed that Parker's future is still unclear, with the Joyce fight remaining in the picture. "There are other options on the table. The Joe Joyce fight would also be a cracker. "There's no contract, but that Joyce fight is close to being contracted and the date has been discussed. "Either one, Joe Joyce or Dillian Whyte would be a big blockbuster event."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...51a089bb84bd2a

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Deontay Wilder has been urged to fight undefeated British heavyweight Joe Joyce when he returns to the ring.

Wilder, 36, has not fought since being knocked out in his thrilling trilogy bout against Tyson Fury last October. ‘The Bronze Bomber’ is plotting another world title charge, however, recent confirming he will ‘continue his journey’ in the sport.

Fury insists he is retired from boxing, even backing Wilder to take his place in an undisputed title fight against the winner of Oleksandr Usyk vs Anthony Joshua II.

The American has retained his no1 rank with the WBC despite defeats in his last two outings with Frank Warren suggesting a meeting with no2 Joyce makes perfect sense.

Joyce was set to fight no3 ranked fighter Joseph Parker this summer in a fight that has now been pushed back to September.

‘He was in gruelling fights with Tyson. The last one was a classic,’ Warren said of Wilder to IFL TV.

‘When you talk about the best fights of the last 20 years, that fight [Fury-Wilder III] certainly is one of them.

‘I don’t know what he’s got left…. he’s a dangerous man and he can punch, ask Tyson. So if he’s got something to give, good luck to him, we welcome him back. Him and Joe Joyce, what a great fight that would be. Who would you rather see him fight than Joe Joyce?

‘You want to see him [Wilder] fight Dillian Whyte? I’d much rather see him fight Joe Joyce; [I] don’t want to see two losers fight, I’d rather see him fight a winner, and he’d be fighting for the number-one spot.’

36-year-old Joyce is still slated to fight on 2 July despite the Parker fight being postponed. The Putney heavyweight has wins over Carlos Takam and British rival Daniel Dubois in his last two outings.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...d0a28b21f1651d

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Parker avoids Joyce by signing with Sky.

Former boxing world champion Joseph Parker has signed a deal with Sky Sports and BOXXER to become one of their star names as the Kiwi fighter vowed to lift another world title under the group's guidance.

The 30-year-old has been training with close friend Tyson Fury, preparing him for his heavyweight clash against Dillian Whyte before beating his British rival at Wembley Stadium in April, and now he is turning his attentions to restoring his own career.

Parker held the WBO belt until 2018, when he lost it to British star Anthony Joshua in a unification bout at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, but he is now eager to return to the summit of the sport after putting pen to paper with Sky and Ben Shalom, who has taken over as the exclusive promoter with the broadcaster.

Parker said: 'In signing with Ben Shalom and BOXXER I'm excited for the next phase of my career, where I will become a two-time world champion on Sky Sports, the best TV platform in sports.

'I've had a great relationship with Sky Sports in the past, with many great fight nights against the leading British heavyweights - I'll fight absolutely anyone put in front of me.'

Shalom, speaking before Richard Riakporhe's cruiserweight clash against Fabio Turchi at Wembley Arena, called it a 'massive signing', calling Parker one of the best heavyweights in the world.

'This is a massive signing for BOXXER. Joe Parker is one of the best heavyweights in world boxing and we are delighted to welcome him to the team.

'Every ranking body has him high in their list and now he's entering his prime, we look forward to taking him back to world title opportunities and some huge events here in the UK.'

Adam Smith, Sky's head of Boxing called it a 'major' deal for the heavyweight division and tipped him to lift a world title again.

'I am absolutely thrilled that Joseph is joining the new era of Sky and BOXXER,' he said. 'This is a major announcement in the heavyweight division!

'I have known Joe for years - he has always brought entertainment and will fight anyone. Moreover he is a charming gentleman and is revered over on our shores just like he is in New Zealand. We will get right behind Joe as he aims to become heavyweight champion all over again!'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...id=msedgntphdr

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Joyce ready to nail German Christian Hammer on July 2 before attacking domestic rivals including Joshua and Fury

JOE JOYCE will nail Christian Hammer on July 2 before ditching his nice-guy image and hunting down his domestic rivals.

The 36-year-old Putney powerhouse thought he had a September showdown with Joseph Parker signed and sealed for his BT Sport backers, only for the Kiwi to welch on the deal and join Sky Sports.

So - after a frustrating year out of action following a broken arm - he will have a tune-up against the respected German veteran.

He then aims to hunt down Anthony Joshua, Dillian Whyte, Tyson Fury and a rematch with Daniel Dubois.

The 13-0 ace, who has just returned from a Las Vegas training camp, said: “I've known about Christian Hammer for a while now.

"He has fought everybody, it is going to be a good fight, he comes forward and it will be exciting.

"It is one to get me ready for the next fights coming up.

"I've been out of the ring for a whole year now so it will be good to dust off the gloves and shake off the cobwebs.

“It is going to be a big year, this year and next, with some great fights and I just need to be in the right place.

"I have taken myself out to the right place with this training camp here to bring out the best in me."

Olympic 2016 silver winner Joyce has always been super-respectful of former sparring partners AJ and the Gypsy King.

And was even too polite to put the boot into Dynamite Dubois after he shattered his eye socket and hype with a dominant 2020 win.

But the Uni-educated artist is sick of nice guys finishing last and has done an explosive rundown of his fellow UK heavyweights, which will be revealed on The Sun on Sunday.

The Juggernaut reveals which one of his celebrated targets is chinny, which foe is walking around with a meaningless belt and which fellow Brit is conning fight fans.

Promoter Frank Warren added: “The most important thing is to get Joe active and confident again after injury.

"Christian Hammer is an experienced campaigner who will provide a decent test and give him a good fight.

"But obviously we expect Joe to come through it successfully and then start preparing for a bigger showdown later this year.

"It was well documented that it was our intention to match Big Joe with Joseph Parker in September but Parker has now opted to sign a promotional agreement elsewhere.

“Joe's route to a world title shot does not revolve around Parker and we have plans in place for a major fight for him in the autumn."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18911...joshua-dubois/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Joyce v Christian Hammer

Joe Joyce wants to fight Dillian Whyte next and has ridiculed 'The Body Snatcher' for his knockout loss to Tyson Fury in April. 'The Juggernaut' is set to face Christian Hammer on July 2 but is already lining up his next bout as he awaits his mandatory shot at the WBO heavyweight title.

In an interview with The Sun, Joyce weighed in on his options and revealed Whyte is in the running. He said: "Whyte was outclassed by Tyson Fury, he landed about three punches on him. We all know how he loves being a mandatory - he was mandatory for 7,000 days. Well, come and fight me and you get the chance to be mandatory again!"

Another name on Joyce's lips was Joseph Parker. The pair were originally set to face each other in July, and then September, but negotiations seem to have hit a snag after Parker signed a long-term deal with BOXXER and Sky Sports. Parker's representatives have since come out to note that he hadn't signed a bout agreement with Joyce and that they were more interested in a rematch with Whyte.

Talking to the same publication Joyce stated that Parker had 'bottled it'. He said: "Parker ducked me. Why would you sign with another promoter if you actually want the fight? He bottled it - plain and simple."

Joyce is ranked No 1 by the WBO and is currently sitting in limbo awaiting his mandatory title shot. Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk will fight for the WBO, IBF, and WBA titles on August 20 but Joyce may have to wait behind WBA mandatory challenger Daniel Dubois, and the winner of the IBF final eliminator between Zhang Zhilei and Filip Hrgovic for his shot at the world titles.

At present, WBC champion Fury is retired although he continues to keep hold of his belt. Reports suggest that Fury will step back into the ring to face Joshua if he beats Usyk, adding further delays to Joyce's plans. But 'The Juggernaut's' prayers may be answered if Fury's US promoter, Bob Arum has his way.

The Top Rank CEO has expressed desires for Fury to unretire and face Joyce in a massive stadium fight for the green belt.

"He's going to fight, he's a fighting man, and I expect Tyson Fury back in the ring before the end of the year. I think if Joe Joyce wins his fight in early July, Tyson Fury and Joyce at Wembley at the beginning of October will do as well if not better - I don't know how you can do better - as well as the Dillian Whyte fight with Tyson Fury," Arum told Queensberry Promotions.

"That will lead to a Fury fight against the winner of Joshua and Usyk. I'll do the best I can to make sure that fight takes place in the UK because I don't think it's good for boxing to have a fight like that and putting it in Saudi Arabia."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...7df36bdb377d00

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Joyce was the big lad from the Rio Olympics in the super-heavyweight final. The nice guy, the smiling guy with the art degree and the tasteful little bit of capoeira at the end of each win.

He lost a tight decision, never made a fuss, turned professional, beat good men, forced Daniel Dubois to take a knee, trained in Las Vegas and has become the most avoided heavyweight in the sport right now. Rio seems like a long, long time ago.

Right now, Joyce is unbeaten in 13 fights as a professional; he is ranked and rated by the boxing insiders, outsiders, fixers, shakers and connoisseurs. And, most of the sanctioning bodies.

Joyce is now 36, a late bloomer even at heavyweight in a business where youth can be a big handicap. The years are misleading; Joyce is fresh and ready.

At the moment, Joyce is arguably the fifth or sixth best heavyweight in the world and undoubtedly the most avoided. Nobody talks trash and wants to fight Joyce and lose their position. Joyce, it has to be said, never talks trash about anybody; Joyce would fight anybody.

On Saturday, Joyce fights a man called Christian Hammer, who has tested his chin, heart and bravery against some of the finest in the division. Hammer has lost nine times to some big names in big fights; Tyson Fury stopped him in 2015, Alexander Povetkin outpointed him in 2017. He is, however, more than just a loser; Hammer can extend good boxers, make them work the distance and that is why Joyce is fighting him. Joyce has to do a better job than some of the other contenders that have beaten Hammer. Boxing, as I always say, is a simple business to understand. There is very little actual science in the game, but there are certain measures that we like to parade as solid fact.

Earlier this year, Hammer lost on points over ten rounds to the Cuban, Frankie Sanchez, known in boxing as the Cuban Flash. Sanchez is listed as 29, but he must have had a very hard paper-round. It was not much of a spectacle and Sanchez, who was fresh from an easy win over the hyped and limited, Efe Ajagbu, was being touted as the “most avoided heavyweight” in the sport. Rubbish, by the way. Sanchez is big and slow and well-schooled and he beat the previously unbeaten Ajagbu easily.

So, on Saturday, Joyce has to do a better job than Sanchez. It really is that easy – there are no hidden equations to factor in; Joyce has to get Hammer out of there fast and easy and painfully. Simple, bosh.
    “I just get in there and take care of the business I have to take care of,” Joyce said. “I will keep winning and I will get a title chance.”

Joyce’s heavyweight landscape is complicated by the transitory state of Tyson Fury, who in the last few days has confirmed that he will both never fight again and that he will also announce his next fight in the coming few weeks. Bob Arum, meanwhile, is Fury’s promoter in the US and he announced at the end of last week that Joyce against Fury in October at Wembley Stadium was possible. How do you plan a career with that much misleading mayhem circling above your head?

In August, Oleksandr Usyk and Anthony Joshua have their rematch in Saudi Arabia and that means the three belts they will fight over are out of bounds for a few months. Joyce is a mandatory for the WBO, but that really doesn’t mean that much when massively financial fights are being arranged. Joyce is mandated to fight the winner of the August 20th fight between Usyk and Joshua.

The sanctioning bodies are paid a percentage of what the fight is worth and not a set fee per fight. So, the Saudi affair is a glorious earner for the three sanctioning bodies and one that they would all be prepared to change their rules to make happen yet again. Joyce being a mandatory sounds nice, but in the real world it means very little.

Joyce will win on Saturday, look good doing it and convince a lot more people that he is a genuine contender. He will also convince a lot more managers and promoters that he is a man to be avoided. It might just be a long, long wait before Joyce gets his chance at a world heavyweight title. He would handily beat just about every fighter in the division and that is what makes him the most avoided heavyweight in the world right now.
    Big Joe would give Usyk, Joshua and even Fury a headache on any given night. He will, instead, just have to keep waiting patiently for what he has been promised. His promoter, Frank Warren, understands the boxing waiting game. They will not be holding their breath anytime soon waiting on a dream. Big Joe will do a good job on Hammer at Wembley on Saturday to get closer to something.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...514e7059906af9

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What happened to Parker . Definitely a 'stay busy' fight with Hammer feels like Joyce is being screwed over and he's about to turn 37. Does Dubois not want to get some pay back?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    What happened to Parker . Definitely a 'stay busy' fight with Hammer feels like Joyce is being screwed over and he's about to turn 37. Does Dubois not want to get some pay back?
    Parker ducked and chickened out of the fight. He is pretending he wants to face Joyce but he is not good enough and making money with the Sky promoter, facing lesser opponents.

Dubois is not ready for the top fighters yet but he is young enough to learn.

Joyce did have a hand injury so this is testing the injury, getting some rounds in and Hammer is a decent opponent for a late replacement.

Thread Information