Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joe Joyce v Christian Hammer

Joseph Parker in talks with Joe Joyce for '50-50' heavyweight clash in May.

Joseph Parker and Joe Joyce are in talks over a heavyweight clash to determine Oleksandr Usyk's WBO mandatory challenger.

Parker's promoter David Higgins says the fight could take place this year, with May the likely date.

The Ukrainian holds the WBA (Super), IBF and WBO heavyweight titles, while Gypsy King Tyson Fury holds the WBC crown.

Joyce and Parker are ranked No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, by the WBO. The New Zealander previously held the WBO belt before losing it to Anthony Joshua in 2018.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Higgins said: "He fought Chisora and dominated him so his brand equity in the world and United Kingdom is at an all-time high.

"We almost feel like it is a home crowd and he's obviously been on a lot of big PPV shows in the UK as well.

"The question is 'who next?' Joseph has signalled that he'd like to fight as soon as humanly possible. A possible opponent is Joe Joyce.

"Joe Joyce is obviously ranked No 1 with the WBO and Parker is ranked No 2. We would not take him for granted, almost a 50/50 type fight which the fans would obviously love.

"The Joyce team have reached out to us and said they're going to make a written offer. Both sides have talked about May timing, so we'll see what that offer looks like.

"If we don't think their offer stacks up then I'll counter offer them more and we'll control promoting it or co-promote with a third party."

Higgins also said if they are unable to agree terms then Parker's next fight will probably take place in the United States against either Deontay Wilder, Luis Ortiz or Andy Ruiz Jr.

He added he is also considering Michael Hunter as an alternative.

Higgins said: "I'm in the United States at the moment and Joseph Parker has signalled he'd like to do what Tyson Fury has done and go to America and beat Americans. Not many British have done that.

"Joseph has said he'll fight any of the big name and high-ranked Americans from Deontay Wilder to Andy Ruiz to Luis Ortiz to Michael Hunter, any of them we would look at.

"It will be interesting to see if any of these big name Americans are willing to get in a ring with Joseph Parker because we certainly reached out and made it known the opportunity is there.

"My job now is to model up what the American opportunities would look like, but right now to model up what the Joe Joyce opportunity would look like, so it looks like we've got a few options."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joseph Parker v Joe Joyce

Joe Joyce’s team making ‘good progress’ over Joseph Parker fight

Joe Joyce’s team have said they are making “good progress” as they seek to organise a heavyweight clash between their fighter and Joseph Parker.

Former Team GB Olympian Joyce, who won silver at the 2016 Games in Rio, last competed in July, when he stopped Carlos Takam in the sixth round.

The unbeaten 36-year-old (13-0, 12 knockouts) seemed to be targeting a fight with compatriot Anthony Joshua during a recent period of uncertainty over “AJ”’s rematch with Oleksandr Usyk, which is now expected to go ahead in June.

As a result, Joyce is still without an opponent, but New Zealand’s Parker is apparently the No 1 option.

Adam Morallee of SJAM management, who work with Joyce, told Sky Sports: “It’s a massive fight. We’re still negotiating it – it’s not finalised yet, but good progress is being made.

“It’s the biggest fight outside the top four guys fighting, it’s the biggest fight on the heavyweight scene right now.

“We hope we can land it and we hope we can land in the UK for the UK fight fans to watch Joe Joyce continue his ascent to the top of the division.”

Parker (30-2, 21 KOs) last fought in December, beating Derek Chisora for the second time in as many fights.

Parker, 30, defeated the Briton via unanimous decision, having won the pair’s first clash last May by split decision.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...346cd5669553d9

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Joyce has urged Tyson Fury not to retire - because he wants to fight the undefeated WBC heavyweight king.

Fury said his sixth-round knockout of Dillian Whyte at a sold-out Wembley Stadium on Saturday night "might be the final curtain for The Gypsy King".

However, Joyce - who is poised to meet former WBO champion Joseph Parker in July - is eager to face his fellow Englishman, who now has 32 wins plus a draw with Deontay Wilder in 33 bouts.

Asked whether Fury has more fights in him, 2016 Olympic silver medallist Joyce said: "He better have because I want to fight him at one stage. If he wants it, I'm here.

What next for Tyson Fury? AJ, Oleksandr Usyk, MMA, WWE?Tyson Fury's greatness amplified by Wembley masterclass
    "Sometimes, I guess, Fury can get a bit complacent. I thought maybe Dillian might have a chance to land the overhand right or work the body shots, but [Tyson] stayed switched on and dealt with it.

"You could see his focus and determination; he wasn't taking his eye off the ball. He is so skilled."

Joyce, who has won all 13 of his professional bouts, including 12 via knockout, last boxed in July 2021, stopping former world-title challenger Carlos Takam in the sixth round.

The 36-year-old Londoner earned a statement win in November 2020 when he knocked out Daniel Dubois in the 10th round.

Joyce has recently recovered from a broken wrist and is now looking forward to facing Parker, who has reeled off six consecutive wins, including back-to-back victories over Dereck Chisora, since suffering successive defeats to Anthony Joshua and Whyte in 2018.

On the Parker fight, Joyce added: "I'm back sparring and ready to get back to Las Vegas and back training with a proper solid camp for Parker.

"That's scheduled for July 2 - it's not 100 per cent done yet but it's pretty much there.

"Both myself and Parker want it; we're both similar, friendly guys but once we get in that ring it's going to be a different story.

"I'm No 1 in the WBO rankings and he's No 2. I'm two in WBC and he's three, so what better fight out there for both of us?"

Whyte: I should have had time after 'illegal' Fury push
    Whyte says he should have received 'extra time to recover' after he was 'pushed' by Fury, just seconds before his world title stoppage defeat at Wembley.

The Brixton man was hurt by an uppercut in the sixth round, but believes the referee should have penalised Fury for shoving him before his head heavily hit the canvas.

Whyte, who was speaking to Sky Sports at the Fairmont Hotel in Windsor Park, said: "I was buzzed but obviously I was trying to regather my senses and he proper pushed me and I fell over and hit my head on the canvas which is illegal.

"This isn't wrestling, this is boxing. I should have been allowed extra time to recover and then carried on fighting."

Could Wilder replace Fury as champion? 'I'm sure he'll be back!'
    Deontay Wilder is yet to shed light on his immediate future, but The Bronze Bomber faces a potential route back to world title glory should Fury follow through with plans to retire from professional boxing.

The 36-year-old has been out of the ring since losing to Fury via 11th-round knockout in the third and final meeting of their trilogy last October, though WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman tells Sky Sports he expects Wilder to fight in 2022.

"He's taking it easy, he's weighing up his plans for the future, he had a very busy reign as a champion, two knockout losses to Fury, difficult but he's matured and he's doing very well," Sulaiman said.

"He's having a good time with his wife, he's enjoying life but I'm sure he'll be back.

"He's one of those fighters that you rarely see in the ring that has the ability to knock somebody out with one punch and he has had many exciting fights. He's a great fighter and great person.

"I'm sure he will fight this year."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...ce4c75e4456033

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly what you like to see. Try not to go overboard but heavyweights sorting it out at varying levels. The very top, two top contenders and then a Hrgovic v Zhang, whatever that qualifies as. Now we just need Wilder and Ruiz to pull up their big boy pants and get busy.

Feels odd referring to Joyce as a "young" prospect but I've become a fan. Think it's a perfect case of now or never taking on Parker. Really fun fight on paper, I think Joyce can pull it off with that telephone poll jab in a hard scrap.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree Joyce is the best of the rest and will take on whoever is left from Fury v AJ/Usyk.

Dubois is taking on Trevor Bryan, Don King fighter.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really interesting fight this. I can't wait for all the basement dwellers to kick into gear. Joyce is slow, fights like he's under water blah blah blah. Boxing fans are as predictable as they are stupid.

I think Joyce probably grinds Parker down. It's what he does. Despite what is it a 6 year age gap? Joyce is the fresher, less miles on the clock. Parker almost exclusively has to do things the long way around and with Joyce the long way around seems longer than normal.

It seems to be the norm with Joyce fights. An opponent who might, maybe ought to be able to stick and move his way to the win. But probably won't.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information