Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Conor Benn v Chris Eubank Jr

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Conor Benn v Chris Eubank Jr

Roy Jones Jr thinks Eubank Jr will win "with no problem" but he has warned the Brit that he will need to "be careful":

"I think Eubank wins the fight with no problem, but there are a few things he [will] have to do to make sure he keeps being in check," Jones told FightHype.com. "Eubank is probably more experienced, the bigger and the better fighter, so all my thoughts would be towards Eubank. "But there are some things that Conor could do to cause problems, and I've already warned Chris of those things, so I think he'll be fine." When asked to elaborate, Jones added: "Keep the head down, be careful, watch for the big left hook - things like that."

Jones Jr has been Eubank Jr's trainer for recent fights but they have not worked together to prepare for the clash against Benn. Eubank Jr instead appears to have either gone solo, or has brought his father back into the fold. The 53-year-old understands this decision and he is not bitter about not being called up: "If it was me and he asked me what he should do, I would've told him to do just that," Jones continued. "Your fathers are the reason the fight is happening and having the fathers there in the corners is going to make it even bigger for everybody. "So if I was a fan, I would definitely want to see Nigel in Conor's corner and see Eubank Sr. in Chris' corner."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...d8d955da342011
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn has been floored by WW journeymen; he isn't a world class puncher at WW.
    Eubank has a steel chin and is so much bigger, this fight looks like a mismatch to me.
    2 lower than world class fighters cashing in on daddy's reputations. PPV ? don't make me laugh.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The trainer who oversaw the finest performance of Chris Eubank Jnr’s career believes his former fighter would beat Conor Benn even without someone working his corner.

He has, however, warned Eubank Jr his unorthodox approach will eventually lead to him again suffering defeat.

The Las Vegas-based Nate Vasquez prepared Eubank Jr for what remains his biggest win, over James DeGale in February 2019, and the victory over Matvey Korobov later that year in December before seeing him appoint Roy Jones Jr as his new trainer.

Since then Eubank Jr has been less convincing, but for all of his apparent commitment to Jones Jr, he is hoping his corner on Saturday against Benn will comprise of Ronnie Davies and his father, Chris Sr.

Vasquez is confident that as the middleweight – one who has previously won at super middleweight – fighting at 157lbs against a natural welterweight, Eubank Jr will ease to victory over Benn at London’s O2 Arena, but he regardless believes that the direction in which the 33-year-old is moving is undermining his career.

An amateurish setup against both Billy Joe Saunders and George Groves in 2014 and 2018 contributed to Eubank Jr’s two previous defeats, and Vasquez told talkSPORT: “Chris beats [Benn] with no corner. It’s going to be like Triple G [Gennady Golovkin beating]-Kell Brook [in 2016].

“Benn will do good for the first couple of rounds, because Chris don’t warm up until, like the fourth round. When I trained him I wanted him to come out quick, ‘cause I don’t wanna play catch up in rounds.

“Chris is going to warm up and keep getting stronger and stronger. I don’t see Benn hurting Chris.

“[But] it’ll take another loss for him to realise, ‘Maybe I should have had Roy Jones or someone else in the corner’. All the fights I watched with his father in the corner, his father didn’t tell him anything. Sometimes he just stood in the corner and just turned his back on him.

“You’ve seen what his dad does in the corner. His dad’s about one thing, and that’s himself. His dad is trying to steal the show from everyone else. He’s flamboyant. That’s how Snr is. He wants the spotlight. I don’t think it’s a good idea for his father to be in the corner.

“[Chris Jr] could be real good. His problem is he don’t wanna listen. He wants to do his own thing, and that’s fine, but it ain’t gonna get him nowhere.”

Vasquez, who first met Eubank Jr at the Mayweather Boxing Club – he learned at the hands of the respected Roger and Jeff Mayweather in Vegas, and Dan Birmingham and Winky Wright in Florida – also believes Jones has been guiding him incorrectly.

“DeGale was probably his best win and he looked the best in that,” he explained. “He looks horrible, with Roy, trying to fight like Roy. It’s not entertaining.

“People that watch him fight want to see him in there, [a] knockout; mixing it up; throwing combos. [But] he’s bouncing around like Roy.

“Chris’ [natural] style is to press forward. He’s not a boxer. He ain’t never going to be a boxer. If he turns into a boxer he’s gonna end up getting beat by a boxer or it’s going to be a boring fight no one’s going to want to watch.

“I was trying to get him to use his jab a lot more and his combos, which he did in the DeGale fight. He was in there brawling, but I wanted to work on his defence and his jab a lot – they were key.

“For the time we worked together, he did great. He listened, and he went with the game plan. Everything fell in place for that fight.

“He’s a great athlete. He’s strong. He’s quick when he wants to be quick; he just sometimes gets back into his bad habits, because he’s never really had someone to tell him, ‘Stop doing it’. His footwork is one of them – he [sometimes] crosses his feet instead of moving his front foot first. He wouldn’t use his jab at all – he was just throwing and mauling with no defence at all, [and his] chin up in the air.

“There’s a lot better trainers than Roy. I don’t think Roy’s a trainer; you don’t show people how to fight like you. There’s one Roy Jones Jr. There’ll never be another.

“I don’t think he’s looked good at all [since working under him]. He’s got the wins, but he ain’t really fought nobody.”

Eubank Jr’s most recent victory, in February over Liam Williams at middleweight, is widely regarded as another of his best. Saturday’s fight instead demands that he weighs in at 157lbs, a potential cause for concern after more than 10 years as a professional fighting above that, but Vasquez said: “He had no problem making 160lbs for [the Korobov fight, after beating DeGale at 168lbs]. We weren’t in England but he didn’t even have a nutritionist and he made 160lbs pretty easy.

“When he made 160lbs he was sipping on water all night that night, and had something to eat before he went to bed. So, he’s dedicated to the sport. He has a [strong] mentality. He wasn’t eating junk food or anything like that.

“The first time I worked with him I thought he looked like s***. His footwork was horrible; he had no jab; he was lunging in; he was winging shots. ‘Holy s***, this guy needs a lot of work.’

“But he has what a lot of fighters don’t have, and that’s the heart; the determination. Some fighters just ain’t got that will, or the fight in ‘em. Chris has it in him. He’s not going to go in there and quit and lay down.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...-nate-vasquez/

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A good few years back when GGG was at his brutal best, I was touting Eubank Jnr as the man to topple him. Bomb proof chin. Great engine and output. I genuinely thought he had the tools to get the job done. Fast forward to present day and he's no closer to fighting him than he was back then. He'll drop his name of course. But Eubank's career has been at a mediocre stand still for years and despite what he says, his actions scream I'm not interested in fighting the biggest and best. He's found his niche in life and beating up average or undersized men is it.

He'll flog the legacy narrative of course. Family name and any other trite bullshit he can think of to roll this turd in glitter. It was a joke that he actively pursued the Brook fight, it's a joke that he's taking this fight.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The closer this gets the more ridiculous this match up seems. Benn could suffer a serious crushing loss here he may never recover from.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    A good few years back when GGG was at his brutal best, I was touting Eubank Jnr as the man to topple him. Bomb proof chin. Great engine and output. I genuinely thought he had the tools to get the job done. Fast forward to present day and he's no closer to fighting him than he was back then. He'll drop his name of course. But Eubank's career has been at a mediocre stand still for years and despite what he says, his actions scream I'm not interested in fighting the biggest and best. He's found his niche in life and beating up average or undersized men is it.

He'll flog the legacy narrative of course. Family name and any other trite bullshit he can think of to roll this turd in glitter. It was a joke that he actively pursued the Brook fight, it's a joke that he's taking this fight.
    The irony is that Brook may face the winner. More rubbish after this novelty fight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THIS FIGHT SHOULD BE CALLED OFF!!!!!!

Conor Benn fails drugs test but will still fight Chris Eubank Jnr

Conor Benn has failed a drugs test but intends to proceed with this Saturday’s fight with Chris Eubank Jnr.

The 26-year-old has reportedly tested positive for Clomifene, a substance normally used to treat infertility in women, but which can have beneficial effects on levels of testosterone in men.

Clomifene is prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada), although it is understood that the failed test was carried out by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (Vada).

Benn has not failed any tests carried out by the UK Anti-Doping Agency (Ukad), who are appointed by the British Board of Boxing Control to conduct all regulatory testing for the fight. As a result, Benn and Eubank have signalled their intention to go ahead with Saturday's contest, despite the former's B sample yet to be tested by Vada.

A statement published by Benn’s promoters Eddie Hearn, Matchroom Boxing and Wasserman Boxing read: “We have been made aware that a random anti-doping test for Conor Benn conducted by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association returned an adverse analytical finding for trace amounts of a fertility drug. The B sample has yet to be tested, meaning that no rule violation has been confirmed. Indeed, Mr Benn has not been charged with any rule violation, he is not suspended, and remains free to fight.

“Mr Benn has since passed a doping control test conducted by the UK Anti-Doping Agency, the anti-doping authority to which the British Board of Boxing Control has delegated its doping control testing for the bout, Mr Benn has passed all doping control tests conducted by Ukad.

“Both fighters have taken medical and legal advice, are aware of all relevant information, and wish to proceed with the bout this Saturday.”

Telegraph Sport has contacted the British Boxing Board of Control for comment.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainm...a16ee10e9352a0

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As if we don't get kicked in the nuts by boxing enough already.

Complete and utter clusterfuck! Maybe Eddie being too busy to take Queensbury calls makes sense after all?

The fight should be off, and Benn should be suspended pending the conclusion of the VADA testing process. Zero tolerance for failed drug tests. It has to be the only way.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CHRIS EUBANK JR has claimed he did NOT receive a phone call from Conor Benn following his positive drugs test.

The pair, whose fathers had two wars in the 1990s, are in danger of not fighting this Saturday after the British Boxing Board of Control called it off.

The sold-out O2 and pay-per-view fight bout was dramatically thrown into doubt after it emerged that Benn, 25, had returned an adverse finding in his pre-fight drug test.

But it was then confirmed that both fighters were happy for the fight to go ahead, with Benn claiming he had called Eubank Jr to talk things out.

However, Eubank Jr has now denied a call ever took place.

He told Matchroom Boxing: "There was no phone call. We haven't spoken since this was announced.

"It's a shame. But my promoters, his promoters, the boxing board of control, they're going to sort it out.

"I'm ready, I'm clean, I'm 60 per cent. I've been tested my entire career for the last 10 years. I've been tested more than I've ever been tested for a fight during this training camp.

"I have an app on my phone where I have to designate where I'm going to be every single day and I've been on that app for my entire career and I will be on it for the rest of my career.

"They can come and test me for blood and urine unannounced whenever they see fit and I've never failed a test. I've even been tested on holiday.

"I don't condone failed tests."

Eubank then went on to insist he remains focused on beating Benn this Saturday night, albeit with some reservations in the back of his head given the failed test.

He continued: "I am staying out of the politics, I dont know whats going on, I have heard the news, all I can do is be a professional and be ready to fight, I am ready, and as news unfolds we will deal with it as it goes on.

"I am prepared, I have done my job, it is now in hands of promoters, governing bodies to make this fight happen. All I can do is be ready.

"Of course there are concerns, I can't really say too much. I am ready, I am a clean fighter, I have cut the weight, I am ready to go, I am in as much know as you guys are."

Benn was told he had returned an adverse finding for the banned substance clomifene.

The substance, which is usually used to treat infertility in women but can increase testosterone in men, is prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Benn responded to the findings by telling DAZN: "I've not committed any violations. I've not been suspended. So as far as I'm concerned the fight's still going ahead.

"I've spoken to Chris [Eubank Jr] personally, and we both want the fight to go ahead.

"We've both taken medical and legal advice, and as I said, we want the fight to happen for the fans.

"I've signed up to every voluntary anti-doping testing there is under the sun.

"Throughout my whole career I've been tested. All my UK tests have come back negative throughout my whole career, I've never had any issues before.

"Even in the lead-up to this fight, my tests have come up negative, you know, so my team will find out as to why there's been an initial adverse finding in my test.

"But as I said, as far as I'm concerned the fight is still going ahead, I'm a clean athlete and we'll get to the bottom of this.

"I just want to thank everyone for their continued support and I'll see you on Saturday."

Eubank Jr's promoter Kalle Sauerland confirmed the star was still happy to fight - with the boxer then sharing a statement from Matchroom alongside a facepalm emoji.

Sauerland told TalkSPORT: “There has been a trace finding of a female fertility drug in a VADA test, which is seaware from the UKAD scheme.

“At the end of August and the start of September, when this test was done and it was relayed to us when the result came back.

“The board follows UKAD rules and the UKAD tests were negative. We took medical advice and although it is not a PED it can raise testosterone levels.

“We discussed this with Chris and he was happy to continue and he spoke to Benn directly. They had a personal discussion and it's a personal matter for Benn.”

Sauerland added: “I can confirm we and Chris want the bout to happen.

“There was a trace finding, the key is the UKAD findings and medical advice. The medical advice is the be-all-and-end-all.

“The instant reaction is FIGHT OFF but then you look into what it is.

“You have to look at the scenario around it and the fact the other tests were not positive.”

Matchroom promoter Hearn also released a statement confirming that the fight would still take place.

He said: “We have been made aware that a random anti-doping test for Conor Benn conducted by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association returned an adverse analytical finding for trace amounts of a fertility drug.

“The B sample has yet to be tested, meaning that no rule violation has been confirmed.

“Indeed, Mr Benn has not been charged with any rule violation, he is not suspended, and he remains free to fight.

“Mr Benn has since passed a doping control test conducted by the UK Anti-Doping Agency, the anti-doping authority to which the British Board of Boxing Control has delegated its doping control testing for the bout.

“Mr Benn has passed all doping control tests conducted by UKAD.

“Both fighters have taken medical and legal advice, are aware of all relevant information, and wish to proceed with the bout this Saturday.”

However, the BBBoC stepped in and declared the scrap is prohibited under their sanctioning, despite BOTH fighters wanting to continue with the bout.

A BBBoC statement read: "On the evening of 4th October 2022, the Board of the British Boxing Board of Control Limited resolved that the contest between Chris Eubank Jnr. and Conor Benn scheduled to take place on 8th October 2022 is prohibited as it is not in the interests of Boxing."

Eubank Jr, 32, was preparing to fight at a career-lowest catchweight of 157lb, following stints at 160lb at middleweight and even 168lb.

And anticipation was building on whether he would make the contracted limit, following posts dining out on fast food and puddings.

Benn was also preparing to fight 10lb above any of his 21 prior wins in the ring.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20013...st-phone-call/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carl Frampton has made his position on what he thinks should happen to Conor Benn after his failed drugs test abundantly clear.

This comes amid the news that Benn has tested positive for the banned substance clomifene from a VADA test (Voluntary Anti-Doping Association) ahead of his highly anticipated clash with Chris Eubank Jr on Saturday night.

Clomifene is a substance banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency that is mainly used to treat infertility in women but it can also increase testosterone levels in men.

As it stands both fighters and their promoters want the fight to still go ahead, as Benn has passed all tests carried out by UKAD (UK Anti-Doping).

Eubank Jr’s promoter, Kalle Sauerland, even told talkSPORT that they had received medical advice telling them that clomifene is not a performance enhancing drug and should not give Benn any advantage.

With that being said, the British Boxing Board of Control are trying to put a stop to the fight, as they released a statement saying that it was ‘prohibited’ and both teams had been informed.

Former two-weight world champion, Carl Frampton, believes the fight should not only be cancelled but that any boxer who fails a drugs test should be banned from boxing for life.

“Boxing does itself no favours,” Frampton posted on Twitter. “There should be no grey areas.

“If you fail a test you’re banned and in my opinion you should be banned for life.

“I’ve been super cautious from my amateur days of what I can and can’t take.

“I wouldn’t take a multi vitamin unless VADA approved. I refused a topical psoriasis ointment as it had steroids in it.

“Deterrents need to be stronger.”

Speaking to talkSPORT, Frampton added:

“Whether you’ve taken something accidentally or not you’ve still done something wrong.

“It was drilled into me as an amateur about what I can and can’t take so you should just know better.

“I had a bit of psoriasis on my skin before I fought in El Paso, it was a good bit, and I got a bit embarrassed about it but I was offered an ointment from a dermatologist but it contained steroids so I didn’t take it, I was afraid to take it.”

As it stands the issue is being dealt with by lawyers, but Benn himself has come out saying that as far as he is concerned the fight is still going ahead and described himself as a ‘clean athlete.’

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...ris-eubank-jr/

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie is taking a right shoeing over this and rightly so. On cue Frank has come out and condemned everyone and everything. You watch him with a straight face announce Dubois V Browne next week. This game is fucking disgusting.

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not often I run speechless but this shitshow running downhill today does it. And that was before Eddie saddled up on it and he just blows it off today. Divisions matter as do banned substances. There's a growing pattern of shrugging off doping violations like it's a guy missing weight etc and a sport, a serious sport, does not survive that without serious reform. Fight should be off no second thoughts and Benn suspended.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Am I the only one that is DELIGHTED that this fight is off. It should never have been considered in the first place and rehydration clauses to make it an even match up are just fucking wrong! If that’s what has to be done, then surely common sense tells you it’s a non starter.
    I really hope that Hearn and DAZN not only lose a lot of money , but also a lot of credibility, and then perhaps they’ll think twice about circuses like this in the future.
    As for Benn failing a drug test, well talking about pouring oil on the flames!
    Picture this, the fight went ahead under the Luxembourg BBOC, a roided Benn knocks out a dehydrated Eubank and serious damage occurs. Scandalous.
    Finally, the one thing that has not been mentioned, the whole boxing community needs to eat some serious humble pie in front of Eubank Sr. And give him some respect and credit for his actions for once.
    He may be a bit eccentric, but he was bang on with this.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haye fought Chisora under that Luxemburg on British soil which should not be allowed, and neither should this fight.

It should be taken out of the fighter's hands to decide if the fight should go on as they will both want to continue to fight and get paid.

It makes a mockery of the sport if this fight does happen on Saturday.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never did like this fight

If this goes ahead, what’s the point of VADA testing, or testing in general? A drugs test for a banned substance has come back positive by an independent body.

You simply can't over look that and continue.

Eddie was screaming about Big Baby Miller and BJS. Why is it different now ? He said himself Vada is best in world and now he wants to ignore it. If someone dies in the ring is that the only time he'll acknowledge it was not right ?

And this from matchroom that have already tried to weaken the fighter (Eubank) with a weight cut and rehydration clause and they also wanted him to get gets punches in the head by a guy that's been juicing in the lead up to the fight?

Disgusting.

Maybe now we know why Benn only fights in the UK and has been looking like an absolute killer - Putting a lot of opponents to sleep of late.

Now we know why Chris Snr was so reluctant about this fight. He probably heard things about Conor that he couldn't say out loud.

Last edited by Denilson3.0; 10-06-2022 at 04:16 PM.

Thread Information