Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Conor Benn v Chris Eubank Jr

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Conor Benn v Chris Eubank Jr

there is apparently another test that conor failed, that was done before the one that cancelled the fight
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And apparently lots of people knew about it. You can't make this sort of systemic clusterfuckery up.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Conor Benn is reportedly being investigated over claims that he has failed a second drugs test. The accusation suggests that he returned adverse findings for the same banned substance prior to the one that lead to the cancellation of the Chris Eubank Jr fight on October 8.

The Destroyer is already facing a potential four-year ban from the sport but if the investigation proves that the claim is true then he could be facing further sanctions including a longer ban. According to the Daily Mail, Benn is claimed to have failed another drugs test earlier this year.

One eminent source, when asked to confirm the positive finding, told the newspaper: "Yes. Earlier this year. Same stuff."

Express Sport have approached Benn and his promotional company Matchroom for comment.

The substance in question once again is clomifene, a fertility drug primarily used to treat infertility in women who do not ovulate. But when used by men it can act as a testosterone booster and drugs masker, banned in all mainstream sports.

Following the news of his first failed drugs test, Benn came out and denied any wrongdoing in a statement, which read: "I am truly gutted that we were unable to make this fight happen on Saturday and I'm sorry to everyone who has been affected by the postponement.

"I am still completely shocked and surprised by this and it has been a tough couple of days, My team and I will consider the next options including rescheduling the fight, but my immediate focus is on clearing my name because I am a clean athlete!"

His father Nigel too claimed that his son was a 'clean athlete' in a video posted to social media, saying: "Hi guys, as you know we're in total shock," said Nigel. "I've been with my son for the last ten weeks and the training has absolutely gone the best it could have been. He's a dedicated trainer, he leaves no stone unturned, and we'll get to the bottom of this, I love my son.

"I know he don't cut no corners; he just goes straight at it 100 per cent but we'll keep you informed, we'll let you know what the next step is. But he's a faithful trainer and a clean athlete, speak to you all soon, God bless."

Benn and Eubank Jr were due to meet each other last weekend in a 157lb catchweight bout at the O2 Arena, London. Promoters Eddie Hearn and Kalle Sauerland have affirmed that the fight will take place at a later date.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...9a40bffb8011b5
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

anyone else think that the prior drug test was the reason the chris eubank jr fight was made? his team may have knew it would come out & we're trying to get in a big payday before a ban was put in place. just a thought i had
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

is he talking about his own apology for his disrespect of the sport?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Liam Smith says he would be happy to fight Chris Eubank Jr in December after Conor Benn failed a drugs test.

The Liverpool born fighter celebrated his homecoming a little over a month ago at the M&S Bank Arena in King’s Dock, where he proved too much for his former sparring partner and fellow super welterweight Hassan Mwakinyo.

In truth it was a bit of a mismatch but he managed to keep his place in the rankings as a result.

Janibek Alimkhanuly, Kell Brook and Jermell Charlo have all been touted as potential opponents.

But it appears ‘Beefy’ has his sights set on taking on Eubank Jr, who was supposed to fight Benn at London’s O2 Arena on October 8.

Speaking on Sky Sports he said: “Of course yeah it doesn’t even have to be that long because there’s one sitting here.

“Obviously I made it vocal I was open to that fight before he decided to fight Conor.

“Now the Benn fight’s off, there’s probably only one fight in Britain left for him, and I’m ready and waiting.

“Yeah I signed under it because it was an easy fight to make and I’ll stick by what I’ve said that’s the easiest fight to make now going forwards.

“We’re both under BOXXER and Sky Sports I think we’re both willing to fight each other so I’m pretty sure the fight can be made.”

But whether it’s Brook or Eubank, Smith – who stands 5ft 9in tall – doesn’t care who he will be fighting in December.

“I’ll be ready this year, I’ll be ready in December,” he added. “I’m just going to do it as the normal process.

“You know, I fought September, my next fight I would be looking for December, and I’ll be ready to fight Chris Eubank Jr in December.

“I think that fight’s been offered to Kell also, I think that’s probably also his thought process in making a comeback.

But I’m back in the gym, I’ll be ready for December, and if it’s Chris Eubank, it’s Chris Eubank, if it’s Kell Brook, it’s Kell Brook. If it’s anybody else I’ll be fit and ready. You know me, I’ll fight anyone.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...c95461941d1ece

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When asked about Benn, Brook told iFL TV: "Disgraceful. He’s turned the boxing world upside down. It brings a negative light on boxing.

"To see that happen with Conor Benn… He needs to explain how that’s ended up in his system, bottom line. We’re waiting for this statement."

SunSport understands UK Anti-Doping will launch a formal probe into Benn's failed test.

Brook, who retired in May after beating Amir Khan earlier in the year, also teased a potential bout with Eubank Jr.

The Sheffield star admitted a showdown with Eubank Jr, 33, "does excite" him, but he will only lace up his gloves again if a fight makes sense financially.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20094...ris-eubank-jr/

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    The dad said the same thing on talk sport radio. He has lost a son already and knows the damage that can be done in the ring with his fight against Watson. Eubank Snr is very distressed about the contest.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/63406295

Conor Benn voluntarily relinquishes his licence. Says he’s going to make a statement this week.
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 10-26-2022 at 08:21 PM.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CONOR BENN claims the British Boxing Board of Control is plotting against him.

The 26-year-old welterweight has confirmed he failed two VADA tests - taken in July and September - and the governing body was still happy for his fight with Chris Eubank Jr on October 8 to go ahead.

But they eventually withdrew their sanctioning of the controversial catchweight clash with just two days to go - without banning Benn - before hitting him with misconduct charges and a £50,000 fine last Friday.

He ripped up his licence before the hearing, based on a dispute around confidentiality and who has jurisdiction over his VADA tests.

Benn, who reckons he could have given a positive test because of contaminated food or drink, is ready to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds to prove his innocence.

He is refusing to cooperate with the BBBofC, who his legendary father Nigel also endured a fractious relationship with during his own career.

Benn said: “I won’t be boxing under the British board ever again. Now I know why my dad ripped up his licence on TV.

“I will not box for them ever again. The way they have gone about this. The way they knew about this.

“They could have pulled the fight. I’ve given my licence back. I won’t be boxing for them ever again.

“As far as I’m concerned the board can do one. I’ve got nothing to hide but as far as I’m concerned they’ve got it in for me.

"All the fighters who have tested positive and been cleared to fight. But with me they left it until days before the fight.

“I don’t know what their reasons are. Could it be because my dad ripped up his licence on TV? I don’t know. I don’t think they care about my innocence.”

Benn Sr ripped up his British licence on live TV in August 1990 after beating Iran Barkley in Las Vegas.

Nigel was in dispute with the BBBofC over the recognition of his WBO world title and the opponents he was facing.

But he boxed Chris Eubank Sr three months later in Birmingham, kicking off the Benn vs Eubank family feud that remains bitter to this day.

The BBBofC refused to comment when repeatedly approached by SunSport.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20246...sh-board-plot/

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Conor Benn’s plans on fighting Chris Eubank Jr. in the UK on February 3rd have been derailed due to the BBBofC rejecting the 27-year-old Benn’s application to the bout to take place in the country.

The BBBofC still needs the appeal to be concluded with the UKAD on Benn’s investigation due to his failed drug tests from last year. Although Eddie Hearn, the promoter for Benn (22-0, 14 KOs), is confident that the Eubank Jr-Benn fight will go ahead on February 3rd in the UK, the BBC of C could foil that plan. Hearn can stage the celebrity-esque match between Benn the the 34-year-old Eubank Jr. outside of the UK on February 3rd, but it’s a match that won’t attract interest elsewhere, as they’re not major players in their respective weight classes.

It’s unlikely the Saudis would want anything to do with this albatross-level fight between Eubank Jr. and Benn, as it wouldn’t make them look good staging a fight that couldn’t take place in the UK.

The backlash would be huge if the Saudis agreed to stage the Eubank Jr-Benn fight in their country without Benn having cleared his name after his positive drug tests. If the Saudis don’t help Hearn with this fight, it’s anyone’s guess which country wants to stage this hot potato. “The board feels any athlete who has failed a drugs test needs to go through an investigation with the proper authorities, and that hasn’t happened,” said BBBofC general secretary Robert Smith to talkSPORT Boxing.

Hearn would probably be better off giving up on this fight because there are too many problems standing in the way of it happening. If Benn isn’t going to clear his name, he might have to fight outside of the UK his entire career, which wouldn’t be bad if he has the talent to compete with the top rungs of the 147-lb division.

It’s unclear what Benn’s true goal is for his boxing career. Does he just want to make easy coin fighting British fighters the way Eubank Jr. has done, capitalizing on his famous dad’s name to make money the way Chris has, or does he really want to accomplish something in the sport by fighting for world titles?

We already know that Eubank Jr. has shown zero interest in fighting for world titles yet has still made good money fighting lesser opposition. According to The Sun, Eubank Jr’s net worth is $6 million. His best win, one can argue, was against a washed-up 35-year-old Liam Smith.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2023/11...bank-jr-in-uk/

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kalle Sauerland said: "I can confirm that the negotiations around a potential Eubank-Benn clash for early next year have finished. The parties were not able to reach a commercial understanding and the negotiations have now ceased and the fight is dead in the water at this minute."

Eubank is highly ranked with the WBO, whose middleweight championship is held by Janibek Alimkhanuly. Etinosa Oliha, who holds an IBO middleweight belt, is also under consideration as a potential opponent.

"I can also confirm that the IBO have ordered a mandatory challenge for Chris Eubank Jr and that's something we are currently in negotiations around but it's early days still," Sauerland said.

"Eubank is No 1 with the IBO and the WBO."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...efb9e991&ei=62

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So I think somebody needs to change the Thread title. (I don’t know how to ?) Boots Ennis? Tank? Eubank Jr. ? Crawford? Haney? Pacquiao? Nope, Enter PETER DOBSON!!
    I’ve put his Boxrec link below to save you the trouble.
    Eddie Hearn !! That’s all I’m saying.

https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/699549
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Thread Information