Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Conor Benn v Chris Eubank Jr

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Conor Benn v Chris Eubank Jr?

Billy Joe Saunders has taken aim at his old rival Chris Eubank Jr after he wore a heavy looking leather jacket to his press conference with Conor Benn on Friday.

The pair came face-to-face for the first time ahead of their fight on October 8 which will reignite the old family rivalry between their fathers Chris Eubank Sr and Nigel Benn.

Due to the current UK heatwave that saw temperatures in London hit 31 Celsius on the day of the presser, Benn attended wearing just a vest top.

Eubank Jr meanwhile wore a big Louis Vuitton leather jacket.

His former foe Saunders took the opportunity to rip into him as a result.

BJS posted an Instagram story with a video of Eubank Jr wearing his jacket at the event and captioned it: “It’s 40 degrees you clown and you’re walking around in a leather jacket, backward c***.”

The pair fought all the way back in 2014 with the European, British and Commonwealth middleweight titles on the line.

Saunders won a close split decision, though the bad blood between them did not end there.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...n-uk-heatwave/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL. I wanna see this. I also want Eubank Jr to rematch Billy Joe.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest, I’ll be rooting for something to happen that means the fight is off. I think it’s a disgrace that this fight has been made. It’s wrong for a million reasons.
    But if I had to root for one of them , it definitely won’t be Connor Benn.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris Eubank Jr says he will be "finished" in boxing if he loses to Conor Benn in their catchweight fight on 8 October.

Benn is coming up two weight classes to fight Eubank Jr and the pair argued throughout a lengthy media conference in London.

Eubank Jr suggested the weight cut to 157lbs would leave him at "60%" for the fight.

"If I lose to Conor Benn I am finished," he said.

Addressing his rival, he added: "I'll be 60% on the night and that'll be enough to do whatever I want with you."

Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank Sr were not present at the media event, but the memory of their own rivalry was ever present.

Eubank Jr gave a passionate speech about his decision to accept the fight and undergo what will be a big weight cut given he usually operates at middleweight.

"I don't hate anybody I would ever give anyone that type of power over me. I don't even dislike Conor," he said. "But at the same time this fight is personal. The things his father put my father through, I can't forget and I can't forgive.

"I watched the mental toll and the injuries. Him going to hospital and losing half his tongue. I watched Nigel tell my father on national TV that he hated him.

"These are things I can't forgive. This is a fight where our family names are on the line and we have to uphold them. That's where it makes it personal."

Benn responded: "It's not that deep."

'My dad sowed the seed'

Benn is seven years younger than Eubank Jr and wasn't even born when their fathers last fought.

But the 25-year-old Benn revealed it was actually his father, Nigel, who first put the idea of fighting Eubank Jr in his head.

"He was the one who sowed the seed. After one of Chris' fights, he told me 'I reckon you beat him'," Benn told BBC Sport.

Eubank Jr, 32, was by far the more relaxed figure in their first media meeting. Benn appeared on edge, as is normal for the young fighter who has spent years trying to fight his way out of his father's shadow.

"He is a carbon copy of his dad and I am as well. It is for legacy. I believe my dad won the rematch and they never had the trilogy," Benn continued.

"It's not about the money, I have plenty of paycheques in my career and plenty more to come. It's not about that this fight. I've got to set the score straight."

Organisers are expecting a lot from this fight.

As well as regular promotional posters there was also two large - and probably very expensive - life-size cut outs flanking each fighter, complete with their own profiles and slogan.

Benn's read 'for legacy, for boxing', while Eubank Jr's said 'born rivals'. There was a red carpet in the adjacent room. It was every inch a big fight press conference, despite the apparent mismatch on paper between the largely untested and smaller Benn and the battle-hardened and experienced Eubank Jr.

Eubank Jr settled into the role as the orator early on - just as his father did 30 years ago - and was regularly challenged by the fiery Benn. He listened intently to what Benn had to say, but described a victory for his rival as 'impossible'.

It was a testament to the selling power of the two fighters that promoter Eddie Hearn mostly sat back for the press conference, allowing the fighters to take centre stage.

The fight will certainly attract big interest and Benn and Eubank Jr put on an entertaining show for the gathered cameras. They faced off for over a minute, occasionally chirping at each other as they did.

Their fathers' rivalry rightly went down in history as one of the best ever. It was a competitive match-up decided by the finest of margins, defined by heart and drama. Can Eubank Jr and Benn produce the same fireworks?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/62521776

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dazn doing this as ppv also . Yet another card that will be missed.

Seriously..I have missed more live boxing over the last 3 years than I have over 35+. Not an exaggeration . Call me a geezer but lack of cable outlets or "free" exposure or simply PPV being the exception is dwindling this sport down and retarding growth.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Dazn doing this as ppv also . Yet another card that will be missed.

Seriously..I have missed more live boxing over the last 3 years than I have over 35+. Not an exaggeration . Call me a geezer but lack of cable outlets or "free" exposure or simply PPV being the exception is dwindling this sport down and retarding growth.
    if you ever miss fights & can't find them online let me know & i can probably source them & upload them elsewhere on the forum. some might need to be on another platform than youtube due to copyright bullshit
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Conor Benn v Chris Eubank Jr

Chris Eubank Sr will be in son's corner when Chris Eubank Jr fights Conor Benn

Chris Eubank Sr will be in his son's corner when Chris Eubank Jr faces Conor Benn in their catchweight fight on 8 October.

The bout will take place 30 years after their fathers shared one of the most iconic rivalries in boxing history.

Eubank Sr and Nigel Benn fought twice, with Eubank Sr winning the first fight in 1990, while the second, three years later, ended in a split decision draw.

"My old man will be in my corner once again," Eubank Jr tweeted on Friday.

Eubank Jr joined the professional ranks in 2011 and has recorded 32 wins and two defeats while Benn has won all 21 bouts since turning professional in 2016, with 14 knockouts.

The fight between Eubank Jr, 32, and Benn, 25, at London's O2 Arena will have a catchweight limit as each fight at different weights.

Benn boxes at welterweight (147lbs) while Eubank Jr has operated at both middleweight (160lbs) and super-middleweight (168lbs).

The pair will meet at a catchweight of 156 pounds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/62692830

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris Eubank Jr doesn’t have a hope in hell of beating Canelo Alvarez, Jermall Charlo or Gennady Golovkin, Conor Benn‘s promoter Eddie Hearn has claimed.

Benn and Eubank will battle it out on October 8 at London’s iconic O2 Arena, almost 30 years after their dads’ famous rematch.

Due to the difference in size between the two fighters, a catchweight is believed to have been agreed at 157lb, meaning Benn will have to put on a few pounds from his usual 147lb weight class.

Eubank meanwhile has spent most of his career competing at middleweight at 160lb, though he has previously campaigned as high as super-middleweight at 168lb.

If he wins, he could target a world title shot against the likes of Canelo, Charlo and Golovkin.

However, Hearn doesn’t think he would stand much of a chance as he believes they are levels above him at the moment.

But that doesn’t mean to say that he thinks that he isn’t a good boxer – far from it in fact.

Speaking on The DAZN Boxing Show, when asked to assess Eubank’s resume, Hearn said: “If you’re looking at wins, Chris Eubank Jr beat a faded James DeGale.

“But he still beat a James DeGale. He had a good fight with George Groves. I know that George was injured at the end of the fight and going into that fight, but you know, I rate Eubank.

“I think he’s tough as granite. He’s got a great chin like his dad.

“But I don’t see him necessarily as an elite middleweight. I think he’s a world class middleweight, but I don’t believe he beats any of the good [fighters], the world champions at middleweight. I don’t think he beats Charlo, Golovkin, of course, Canelo, of course, but listen, it’s a massive fight for him.

“You talk about Conor Benn winning this fight, if Eubank wins this fight, I think he can fight a Gennady Golovkin in the UK or a Canelo Alvarez at Wembley. So it’s a massive fight for both [fighters].”

Eubank heads into his all-British clash with Benn as the big favourite with the bookies.

As Hearn mentioned, Eubank has tasted defeat twice before – being outpointed by both George Groves and Billy Joe Saunders.

However he enters the bout coming off the back of arguably the best performance of his career to date against the dangerous Liam Williams.

Benn, meanwhile, has yet to taste defeat from his 21 fights, with 14 of his victories coming by way of knockout.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...f85aa512482f1c

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Conor Benn has given his thoughts on Chris Eubank Jr's recent KFC stunt. The former British middleweight champion was videoed walking around the O2 Arena's grounds eating a bucket of chicken despite having to make a career lowest weight of 11st 2lb (157lb) on October 8.

The agreed limit will be completely foreign to both men with Benn having never fought above welterweight (10st 7lb) and Eubank Jr competing no lower than middleweight (11st 6lb) during the course of his career.

There is also the issue of a rehydration clause that Eubank Jr must abide by with a limit yet to be disclosed for a secret second weigh-in on the morning of the fight (Saturday). But this didn't seem to deter Next Gen, who happily chowed down on his fast-food treat.

For Benn, this was simply another factor to be used as an excuse if the result doesn't go his way. "It's all for show, isn't it? It's good promotion, fair play to him. I hope he got paid from it because he needs to start counting his pennies," Benn told iFL TV.

"I don't really look into stuff like that if you're asking me. Maybe the public thinks he's taking it easy, maybe the public don't - they think he's training hard. But again, it makes no difference to me because I'll still prepare the same.

"He can do what he wants, if that's his way of beating me or playing mental games then let him do that. To me, it screams excuses. Why would you not want to show a true dedicated athlete? Why would you not want to show elite standards, elite performance, elite behaviour? That's down to him."

Eubank Jr has previously stated that he can beat Benn at '60 per cent' and that losing to The Destroyer would ruin his chances of becoming a world champion at middleweight. The 32-year-old has repeatedly called for a fight with IBF and WBA (super) champion Gennady Golovkin. In 2016, they looked likely to fight but Eddie Hearn instead offered the bout to IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook.

Now, the son of a legend will be hoping to sign that fight in the not-so-distant future and can't afford to slip up here next month.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...8cae4040e872bb

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big rumours that Eubank Sr. Has pulled his son out of the fight. Supposedly down to rehydration clause.
    “I’m not losing another son.” Probably a way of getting rid of the clause, but I kinda hope it is off. It’s a bullshit fight from day one.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Conor Benn has mocked Chris Eubank Jr for having "daddy issues" after his father claimed their fight next month is off.

The sons of legendary boxers Chris Eubank Sr and Nigel Benn are scheduled to renew their family rivalry in London on October 8 at a catchweight fight. Eubank's father recently put the fight in jeopardy by claiming his son has pulled out, telling the Daily Mail : "My son’s life cannot be put in danger… I’ve already lost one. It can’t happen again". The ring legend was referring to his second eldest son Sebastian who tragically died from a heart attack last year just before his 30th birthday.

Benn has now taken to social media to mock Eubank over his father's comments, posting a picture alongside undefeated middleweight boxer Felix Cash with the caption: "Just sparred 10 rounds. While someone’s having daddy issues…". Eubank, who is yet address his father's comments, recently doubled down on his promise to retire from boxing if Benn beats him next month.

“I said it – if he pulls off a miracle and beats me, I have to retire," he said during an intense face-off with Benn. "So that’s a huge pressure. I’ve never ever said this, ever. An act of God is what it would be for you [Benn] to beat me. I’m always a man of my word, so that’s another reason why this is personal – because I love being a fighter, I love the sport of boxing.

'I don’t want it to end. If you [Benn] pull off the miracle, I’m going to give you full credit. I’m telling you now, if you were to beat me I give you full credit and I walk away from the sport. So it’s not an excuse. I believe it’s a physical impossibility that you get anywhere close to me. Prove me wrong.”

Both Eubank and Benn go into their grudge fight carrying the pressure of their father's rivalry which dates back to 1990. Over 40,000 people attended Old Trafford to watch the rematch between the two British icons after Eubank Sr won their first meeting by knockout. The rematch ended in a split draw and many fans feel their sons are fulfilling the trilogy fight of the series.

Benn, who is unbeaten in 21 professional fights, admitted that Eubank is the toughest opponent he's faced so far, stating: "There comes a stage in your career when you do take risks and this is that jump. I'm going in there and do exactly what I plan on doing, the same way I've done with every single one of my past opponents. Talk all you want, but talk is cheap when we get in there."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...fight-27974355

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris Eubank Jr appeared to dismiss his famous father's fears over his weight for his upcoming clash with Conor Benn by scoffing down a huge dessert.

Chris Eubank Sr claimed earlier this week he is prepared to take legal action to force the cancellation of his son's clash with Benn which is scheduled to take place in London on October 8. Eubank Sr is concerned about his son having to weigh in at a career-low 157lb for the bout before having to step on the scales again on the morning of the bout.

But Eubank Jr's promoter Kalle Sauerland has insisted the fight will go ahead, and the fighter himself appears to have no concerns as he posted a video to social media of himself picking up a skewer of profiteroles before dipping one in a sauce and taking a bite.

Eubank Sr had said he feared losing another son following the death of Sebastian last year just days before his 30th birthday. "We have to be strict otherwise lives are put in danger and my son’s life cannot be put in danger. I’ve already lost one. It can’t happen again," he told the Daily Mail.

But Sauerland dismissed fears the fight would be cancelled when he told talkSPORT: "The fight is absolutely on, that’s all really I can say to it. I’ve seen it came from one comment to one journalist which of course spread like wildfire. We don’t have a contract with Chris Eubank Sr, we have a contract with Chris Eubank Jr.

Will Chris Eubank Jr make it to the ring to fight Conor Benn? Let us know in the comments section below

He was sparring yesterday, my only issue at the moment is to find sparring partners because he’s going through them like a hot knife through butter. The fight is very much on. The contract is between us – that’s Wasserman Boxing – and Eubank Jr - so I don’t see what legal route there could be if that’s the case.

"I haven’t spoken to Sr. I have spoken to Jr – he reported yesterday that he had a very good sparring session, that was last night. For us it’s just about pushing and pushing. We all know it’s a massive event."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...aa3df72f3627dd

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CHRIS EUBANK, who had starved himself of food and liquid for three agonising days, stared longingly at three large jugs filled to the brim with pineapple juice.

He had them put on a table close to the scales as he waited impatiently to weigh in for his WBC super-middleweight title defence against American Dan Schommer.

After making the 12-stone limit, Eubank raced to the jugs with the speed of a desperate man who had been lost in a desert suddenly coming across a life-saving oasis.

That scenario was played out in Sun City, South Africa, 28 years ago and I’ve never forgotten the sight of Chris, his body dangerously bone-dry through dehydration, gulping down all three jugs without stopping to take a breath.

As a result of putting himself through such a severe weight-reducing process, his performance was well below par and he struggled to outpoint the mundane Schommer.

It was no surprise to me when Eubank last week expressed grave fears at the risk his super-middleweight son Chris Jr was taking by agreeing to get down to 157lbs for his catchweight clash with welterweight Conor Benn at London’s O2 Arena on October 8.

The Brighton braggart knows only too well from bitter experience how making weight can leave a fighter weak, even hours after rehydrating.

He claims making his boy get down to 157lbs is suicidal and says he will try to get Chris Jr to pull out, saying: “This fight should not be allowed to happen - it is too dangerous.”

Chris Jr dismissed his father’s concerns about his safety though he did admit having to scale down to 11st 3lbs means he will only be 60 per cent of his best when he faces unbeaten Benn.

To ensure Chris Jr is taking weight off gradually and sensibly, the British Boxing Board of Control have been monitoring him and will continue to do so for the next two weeks.

In fact, Eubank Sr should be even more concerned about Conor, who is up against a much bigger man with vastly more experience.

Because there is such a marked difference between the size of the two men, precautions are being taken in an attempt to try to make it a more even playing field.

Chris Jr is contracted to have a second weigh-in at 11 o' clock on the morning of the fight and he won’t be allowed to put on more than 10lbs overnight.

But in the 11 hours before he steps in the ring it is possible he could eat two meals and he will certainly have drunk plenty of water.

Just one litre of water is equivalent to 2.2lbs and I would very surprised if Eubank isn’t well over a stone heavier than Conor by the time the first bell sounds.

That’s an enormous advantage over such a much smaller opponent.

In this column in July I wrote there must be reservations about the validity of Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank’s kids fighting each other and suggested it smacks of a money-making gimmick.

There has never been a more acrimonious rivalry in British boxing history generated by the two battles between their fathers in the 90s – and as expected their heirs’ hostilities have certainly caught the fans’ imagination.

But boxing is dangerous enough already without putting extra perilous obstacles in a fighter’s way.

eddy Atlas, who was teenager Mike Tyson’s first trainer and one of America’s most respected, once said “Catch-weights are essentially breaking the rules to benefit someone else - a blight on the sport.”

I couldn’t agree more.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19887...ight-starving/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris Eubank Jr has explained why he’ll walk away from professional boxing if he loses to Conor Benn.

Next Saturday night at the O2 Arena in London, Chris Eubank Jr and Conor Benn will put an end to a feud between families that’s been ongoing for decades now.

The pair had teased the idea of a match-up many times in the past but it finally looks set to happen in front of a sold-out crowd in the English capital.

It’ll take place at a catchweight of 157 pounds with Benn moving up two weight classes, whereas Eubank Jr will be dropping to 157 for the first time in his career.

There’s a whole lot on the line here for both men with the biggest prize of all, of course, being the bragging rights that will come with finally putting an end to this rivalry once and for all.

Eubank Jr serves as the senior veteran out of the two with a record of 32-2, giving him a lot more time in the ring than Benn as he moved to 21-0 earlier this year.

He’s also seven years older which is a point that’s divided many fans between those who think the experience will favour him and those who believe it could hinder his speed in comparison to the lighter Benn.

During a recent media appearance that the two shared on Good Morning Britain, Eubank Jr revealed that he will be retiring from boxing if he can’t get the job done before going on to explain why.

“I’ve said it before and this is the first time I’ve said it throughout my career – if I lose this fight, I retire, and I love fighting. I love the sport, I love being a boxer, I don’t want it to end.”

Eubank Jr was then asked directly why he’d walk away if he couldn’t get the job done.

“Because losing to a Conor Benn at this stage of my career, it means I’m not the fighter that I thought I was, or that I think I am. I wanna challenge for world titles within the next six to twelve months. I can’t do that with a loss to Conor Benn.

“My father retired at 32, I’m 33 years old. So, this is an extremely important fight and there’s a lot of pressure on me not only to win, but to uphold the name and the family legacy.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...87dd354a50f657

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn isn't world class in his own division. This is a circus fight at best.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Thread Information