Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conor Benn v Chris Eubank Jr

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Conor Benn v Chris Eubank Jr

Conor Benn and Chris Eubank Jr call for historic fight 32 years after dads met.

Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn fought over 30 years ago and the ring legends could pass down their rivalry to their sons as the pair have teased a future fight

Three decades after their dads first met in the ring, Conor Benn and Chris Eubank Jr have teased a potential fight in the future.

The pair's dads, Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn, first met in 1990 as Eubank extended his unbeaten record by knocking out Benn in a thrilling fight.

Over 40,000 people attended Old Trafford to watch the rematch dubbed 'Judgement Day' three years later, which would end in a split draw.

A widely discussed trilogy never took place, with the pair's hatred for each other marking one of the many great rivalries in British boxing history.

But their rivalry could potentially be passed down to their sons, as Boxxer promoter Kalle Sauerland first teased the fight last December.

"You know somewhere, some special night in the not too distant future Eubank v Benn the next generation will happen and we will be more than happy to make that happen," he wrote on Twitter.

Eubank - who fights two weight classes above Benn - pushed himself closer to a world title shot by outpointing Liam Williams in a one-sided display on Saturday night.

Benn reacted to Eubank's win against the Welshman by tweeting: "I fancy my chances at a catchweight".

And Eubank admitted a fight against Benn in the future would be "crazy" for British boxing.

"It's a fight that if it were to happen, it would be massive. It would be crazy, what fight fan wouldn't want to see it? It's two legends sons fighting each other," he said.

"We're both doing big things in the boxing world. It doesn't make much sense right now. In a couple years, if Conor Benn fills out a little bit and I wanna have a bit of fun, we can get it on."

Benn extended his unbeaten run to 20 fights by knocking out veteran Chris Algieri last December and called for a fight with the winner of Amir Khan vs Kell Brook next.

But Eubank is doubtful of facing the 25-year-old until he achieves what he wants at middleweight.

"If the fans wanna see it, if he can move up. What a fight that would be, that would be incredible. The two sons, Chris Eubank Jr. Conor Benn," Eubank added when talking with iFLTV.

"The likelihood of it, I really doubt that it's gonna happen anytime soon. I see that as something that's probably gonna happen in years to come.

"When I've done everything I want to do at middleweight and we want to have a bit of fun down the line, but who knows."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...-benn-26154001
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Conor Benn v Chris Eubank Jr?

I don’t have the interest in this really.

Their fathers were at the top when they fought, they are not.

It would be a friendly affair.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is every day April 1st in Conor Benn’s calendar? Or is he just plain desperate to make some cash? He’s done fuck all yet , and he thinks he can take the piss out of the sport! PATHETIC
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 02-07-2022 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do not understand it either, they are at different weights and trying to establish themselves. This is just trying to make money from their father's legacies without earning it.

Smacks of desperation and lack of dignity from both if they pursue this.
    Last edited by Master; 02-07-2022 at 03:54 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absolutely detonated Van Heerden impressively today. Well, 'tonight'. He looks and very much sounds in the interview like a guy who knows it's time to step it up just a bit. Crowley v Lopez winner would be nice and will be a couple major shifts tonight at 147. Bring him to the States for a showcase and break out of the cocoon.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris Eubank Jr has claimed he was the victim of a set up after a recent encounter with Conor Benn at the Sport Industry Awards on Saturday night.

The sons of British boxing legends Chris Eubank Sr and Nigel Benn have long been linked with a crossover fight that would easily break the box office, despite the fact they are two weight classes apart right now.

He revealed he was about to present the ‘Young Agency of the Year’ award, which was won by The Space Between agency, when he bumped into Benn backstage.

However, he immediately knew something was up, as he insisted that there was no way their meeting could have taken place simply by accident.

Eubank told iFL TV: “Yeah, we had a little chat.

“I think they set it up, someone sneakily set it up.

“Unbelievable that we were both backstage, both presenting awards at the exact same time.

“And that sports awards, whoever manages that, they’re lucky that I’m not an idiot.

“And they don’t know I’m not an idiot, and they don’t know he’s not an idiot.”

Eubank also revealed his concerns that things could have gotten out of hand pretty quickly had they not handled things like mature responsible adults, and accused Benn of being ‘a hothead’.

He added: “I mean, he is a hothead.

“If I say something silly, he’s gonna, you know, but I’m not an idiot.

“If I’m pushed, yeah [I could react], but I’m not gonna push anybody. I’m not gonna push anybody for no reason – for clout or for an Instagram video.

“It could’ve easily kicked off at the awards show, right before we were about to walk on stage.”

Asked if he could reveal the details of their conversation, he replied: “Nothing, he came over to me, shook my hand.

“He asked me about the Canelo fight, it was small talk.

“He was talking to someone else for a second and I was thinking about all the stuff that’s been said over the past couple of months and I started laughing.

“He said, ‘What are you smirking about?’

“I said, ‘Listen, me and you can make a lot of money in the future.’ He said on the fight that he comes in 20lbs heavier than what he weighs in at.

“He was basically trying to say that he could physically fight, the weight difference wouldn’t be an issue.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...105ee900b4e75b

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Conor Benn has come out and dispelled recent reports that a fight with Chris Eubank Jr has been 'sealed'. Rumours began to arise yesterday that a super-fight between the sons of former rivals Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank Sr was set for Autumn of this year.

Gareth A. Davies and Adam Catterall of talkSPORT revealed during an appearance on the radio station that they had received intel that the fight is signed and will take place at a 155-pound catchweight limit.

"From what we're hearing from our sources throughout the course of the week and despite promoters trying to put you off the scent of various things, this fight is quite a long way down the line of happening and will hopefully happen in the autumn of this year," said Catterall

Davies then added: "I'm happy to say that this fight is going ahead. I'm not announcing it obviously because it's not my prerogative to do that, but my understanding is this fight is sealed.

"I understand he's [Eubank Jr] going to come down to 155 pounds, that's what I'm hearing. It's going to be made at about 155 pounds so he's going to have to lose a little bit of weight to have that fight. For me Eubank is the favourite."

But despite Davies and Catterall's insistence, Benn and promoter Eddie Hearn claim that negotiations have not even begun.

When asked whether he is fighting Eubank Jr next during an interview with iFL TV, Benn responded: "No, not that I'm aware of. I swear I saw something that said they were adamant I was fighting Mikey Garcia, where did they pull that one from? It's nice though because they keep my name in their mouths."

Before Hearn added: "There are no negotiations, we are not close to a Eubank fight. Of course, listen, that fight is always massive, I'm talking to Kalle [Sauerland] this week but our focus is on other fights other than Eubank. I'm not saying we wouldn't take that fight but that's not close and it's not on the horizon."

Benn's next fight is expected to be announced by the end of this week. Keith Thurman and Mikey Garcia were among the possible names when speculation initially arose, however, with Garcia recently announcing his retirement that fight is almost certainly off the table. Hearn recently confirmed 'The Destroyer' will be back in action in September.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...b6102d38ab1dd3

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nigel Benn has insisted that he is fully backing his son Conor Benn in his upcoming clash with Chris Eubank Jr, which is sure to reignite their family rivalry.

Back in the 1990s, Nigel shared two historic clashes with Chris Eubank Sr and now it appears their sons will meet in the ring.

Conor and Chris Jr are close to completing a deal to fight on October 8 at the O2 Arena, according to the Daily Star.

The bout comes as a surprise to many as the pair usually compete two weight classes apart.

Conor campaigns at welterweight (147lbs) while Chris Jr is a middleweight (160lbs) and has previously boxed up at super-middleweight (168lbs).

It’s claimed that their showdown will take place at a catchweight of 156lbs.

Some on social media have criticised the proposition and suggested it will be dangerous for Conor’s career to make such a sizeable jump up in weight.

Comparisons have been made to Kell Brook’s 2016 fight with Gennady Golovkin.

At that time, Brook was struggling to secure big fights and so went up from welterweight (147lbs) to the full 160lbs middleweight limit to challenge GGG.

The Brit was stopped in five rounds and suffered a fractured orbital bone which hampered his career.

When he returned to welterweight to defend his world title against Errol Spence eight months later, he was stopped again and endured another fractured orbital to his other eye.

One fan on social media opined that the GGG fight ‘ruined’ Brook and so suggested the Chris Jr clash could do the same to Conor.

In response, Nigel Benn took to Twitter and said: “This is what Conor wants.

“This won’t ruin Conor, he’s not made like that.

“Let’s see how he does. I’m backing him, win, lose or draw.”

Although the fight hasn’t been officially confirmed, this tweet suggests Benn will fight Eubank Jr.

We now await the a date and location for what could be an iconic clash.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...ris-eubank-jr/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CHRIS EUBANK JR vs Conor Benn's cracking announcement is being held up over their rehydration clause.

The brilliant catchweight bout is set to happen on October 8 at the O2, once the complicated contract is ironed out.

The launch press conference was targeted for this Thursday but looks set to be delayed as they go back-and-forth about the crucial bout details.

The 25-year-old welterweight son of British boxing legend Nigel Benn usually competes at 147lbs, while Chris Eubank Sr's boy, 32, has boxed as high as the super-middle limit of 168lbs.

The pair plan to clash at around 156lbs - which they will have to make at a Friday October 7 event.

But Eubank Jr is set to have restrictions placed on how heavy he can enter the ring the following evening also, to prevent a dangerous mismatch.

The IBF sanctioning body insists on a 10lb limit for their title fights, to prevent fighters getting huge advantages over their rivals.

And, without any stipulations on this mouthwatering non-title showdown, Eubank Jr could take a big advantage over the smaller man.

Kell Brook and Amir Khan settled their decade-long welterweight feud last February at a catchweight limit of 149lbs.

And there was huge confusion up to the night of the fight about the rehydration clause and a secret Saturday afternoon weigh-in that was rumoured to take place.

One fact about the bitter deal was that both men had agreed to pay a £100,000 fine for every single pound they came in over.

So it made plenty of financial sense when both men came in under the cut-off.

And similar financial penalties would likely be in place for this deal, without a belt on the line, and the clash expected to be a huge PPV success.

Eubank Jr was 160lbs for his February middleweight win over Liam Williams, so should be able to diet and dehydrate safely to this new enforced limit.

But Benn being able to control his rehydration will definitely help his brave bid to win at a weight two above his usual.

Scheduled broadcaster DAZN and promoters Matchroom have tried to downplay the negotiations.

But ring icon Nigel Benn took to social media to back his boy, writing: "This is what Conor wants.

“This won’t ruin Conor, he’s not made like that. Let’s see how he does. I’m backing him, win, lose or draw.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxin...ement-held-up/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Natural weight difference too much surely for this to be considered.

Conor Benn is not me. He could get seriously hurt
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can remember there fathers as a kid in the 1990. Back then it was rare to see two black men on prime time viewing. Outside of sports in 1990 UK TV had a silent no blacks policy.

So my family, especially my father used to make a BIG thing about it when it happened.

So Eubank-Benn (the original) has a special place for me.

But there sons fighting ? I dunno it’s almost like Eddie is trying fk up Conor’s welter career like he did Kell Brooks were he gave Kell bk to bk fights against Triple G then Errol Spence. What kinda insane matchmaking is that ?

Conor should b fighting a Josh Taylor, Keith Thurman, Danny Garcia, fights to see if he’s ready for the super elites of the welterweights.

As for Chris Jnr ? Next gen ? But he’s 32. Cmon. His dad had pretty much retired by 32.
    Last edited by Denilson3.0; 07-19-2022 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post
    I can remember there fathers as a kid in the 1990. Back then it was rare to see two black men on prime time viewing. Outside of sports in 1990 UK TV had a silent no blacks policy.
    where do you get your information from......

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Clearly never heard of Desmond's

This has to be a joke no? Especially on Eubank Jnr's end. He's a middle/Super Middle, 32 years old. Never really achieved anything at the highest level. When the Brook fight was floated about he claimed to have bigger fish to fry. Now, he's fighting a welterweight contender. The promotion will be given the big un of course what with their fathers history but this is seriously low rent.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was going to mention Desmonds.

And Delbert Wilkins etc

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Conor Benn has warned rival Chris Eubank Jr it will be his "last" fight when the pair finally settle their differences.

Eubank Jr and Benn have held talks over a historic grudge match this year that will mirror the rivalry of their legendary fathers in the ring 32 years on. YouTube star Jake Paul has dragged himself into their rivalry this week after criticising Eubank Jr on social media, following news that an announcement of the fight was delayed due to a weight disagreement.

Paul tweeted: "Conor Benn dirty because he doesn’t want Chris Eubank to have a massive size advantage fight night? No, just wants a fair/safe fight. Rahman can weigh-in at any weight fight night. 200 weigh-in, 214 at noon fight-day, any weight fight night. Stop making excuses Jr."

Eubank Jr quickly responded with an intriguing fight call-out, writing: "Yo Jake Paul. Once I deal with Benn and you take care of Rahman how about me and you go for a couple of rounds. I’ll come in at 160lb, you come in at whatever weight you want. Winner gets CANELO. And don’t worry I am not Tommy Fury, if I say I will do something, it gets done."

Benn has now hit back at the pair, adding: "You won’t fight again after you’ve shared the ring with me, I will be your last fight!" A fan questioned why Benn believes he can stop Eubank Jr in response to his reply on Twitter, to which Benn also continued: "Because I’m about to be relentless with this."

Eubank Jr and Benn have reportedly been negotiating a rehydration clause having previously agreed to fight at a catchweight of 156lb. The pair usually compete in different weight classes with Benn currently campaigning at 147lb and his rival eyeing a title shot at 160lb.

Both fighters have been weighing up their options since Benn defeated Chris Van Heerden while Eubank Jr ousted bitter rival Liam Williams. However it appears set that the pair will compete at London's O2 arena in October.

Eubank Jr previously addressed a potential fight claiming that he doubted a meeting would happen in the near future before reports of an agreement now being made. "What a fight that would be, that would be incredible. The two sons, Chris Eubank Jr. Conor Benn," Eubank Jr previously said when talking about a potential fight with iFLTV. "The likelihood of it, I really doubt that it's gonna happen anytime soon. I see that as something that's probably gonna happen in years to come.

"When I've done everything I want to do at middleweight and we want to have a bit of fun down the line, but who knows." He later added: "We're both doing big things in the boxing world. It doesn't make much sense right now. In a couple years, if Conor Benn fills out a little bit and I wanna have a bit of fun, we can get it on."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...-paul-27534568

Thread Information