Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  110
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins Anthony Joshua or Oleksandr Usyk

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Anthony Joshua v Oleksandr Usyk 2

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshua v Oleksandr Usyk 2

Robert Garcia is set to remain as coach of Anthony Joshua as the British heavyweight plans his return to the ring. Many feared that a second defeat by Ukrainian heavyweight Oleksandr Usyk in Saudi Arabia last weekend might bring about the end of Joshua's professional boxing career, but he hopes to bounce straight back later this year.

Joshua showed improvements under new coach Garcia from his first defeat against Usyk and plans to keep the American in his corner for his next fight. "It was something that I liked in him," Garcia told IZQUIERDAZO when talking about Joshua wanting an immediate return to the ring.

"Regularly, after a tough fight like this one, a fighter wants to rest four, five, or six months, doing nothing. And then, resume training to fight eight or ten months later. Anthony (Joshua) wants to fight again in November, but (Eddie) Hearn wants December. I think December is better.

"Anthony (Joshua) wants to fight as soon as possible, because he doesn't want to be seen as a loser. He said that he wants to be back soon and win. For me, that is the attitude of a great warrior. I like that he thinks in that way.

"If the fight is in December, there is not much time left, just four months. He can rest for a couple of weeks, but we will keep training, and be in better form for December." In the aftermath of AJ's first defeat to Usyk in London last September the British heavyweight replace long-term trainer Rob McCracken with Garcia after touring American gyms searching for a new coach.

However, after the British heavyweight's second defeat to Usyk last weekend Garcia criticised his boxer and said Joshua had been disrespectful to his opponent after losing the fight by a split judges' decision. AJ threw two of the Ukrainian's world title belts out of the ring and stormed off, only to return to the ring moments later to deliver an emotional speech.

"When that happened, I was not close to him", Garcia told IZQUIERDAZO. "I don't exactly know how it happened.

"When he grabbed the belts, I believed that he wanted to greet Usyk, and deliver the belts himself, recognising Usyk as the champion or something like that. But then I saw that he went to a corner, and threw them to the floor. I saw a little bit of a lack of respect."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...f85aa512482f1c
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Robert Garcia is set to remain as coach of Anthony Joshua as the British heavyweight plans his return to the ring. Many feared that a second defeat by Ukrainian heavyweight Oleksandr Usyk in Saudi Arabia last weekend might bring about the end of Joshua's professional boxing career, but he hopes to bounce straight back later this year.

Joshua showed improvements under new coach Garcia from his first defeat against Usyk and plans to keep the American in his corner for his next fight. "It was something that I liked in him," Garcia told IZQUIERDAZO when talking about Joshua wanting an immediate return to the ring.

"Regularly, after a tough fight like this one, a fighter wants to rest four, five, or six months, doing nothing. And then, resume training to fight eight or ten months later. Anthony (Joshua) wants to fight again in November, but (Eddie) Hearn wants December. I think December is better.

"Anthony (Joshua) wants to fight as soon as possible, because he doesn't want to be seen as a loser. He said that he wants to be back soon and win. For me, that is the attitude of a great warrior. I like that he thinks in that way.

"If the fight is in December, there is not much time left, just four months. He can rest for a couple of weeks, but we will keep training, and be in better form for December." In the aftermath of AJ's first defeat to Usyk in London last September the British heavyweight replace long-term trainer Rob McCracken with Garcia after touring American gyms searching for a new coach.

However, after the British heavyweight's second defeat to Usyk last weekend Garcia criticised his boxer and said Joshua had been disrespectful to his opponent after losing the fight by a split judges' decision. AJ threw two of the Ukrainian's world title belts out of the ring and stormed off, only to return to the ring moments later to deliver an emotional speech.

"When that happened, I was not close to him", Garcia told IZQUIERDAZO. "I don't exactly know how it happened.

"When he grabbed the belts, I believed that he wanted to greet Usyk, and deliver the belts himself, recognising Usyk as the champion or something like that. But then I saw that he went to a corner, and threw them to the floor. I saw a little bit of a lack of respect."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...f85aa512482f1c
    People who fight solely on the pretext of "not wanting to appear to be a loser" are surely fighting for the wrong reasons. Good luck, lil Tony.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oleksandr Usyk: World champion says Anthony Joshua's post-fight rant was 'emotional'

Heavyweight world champion Oleksandr Usyk believes Anthony Joshua was "overwhelmed" by losing their rematch, branding his post-fight antics as "emotional".

Briton Joshua, 32, went on a lengthy rant after his points defeat to Usyk in Saudi Arabia, throwing two of the world titles out of the ring.

Asked about Joshua's bizarre behaviour, Usyk said: "I cannot say his behaviour was a disgrace, it was just emotional.

"I don't think he wanted to offend me."

Joshua apologised in the post-fight media conference for what happened and Usyk, who retained the WBO, IBF and WBA (Super) titles with the victory, encouraged people to stop criticising his rival.

"I think he was just overwhelmed, it was too much to take, and he just started ranting," said the Ukrainian, 35.

"But I don't have any rancour towards him and I want to tell people that they shouldn't hold it against him - he didn't do anything bad.

"Emotions took over him and he just spurted those words, but later he told me it was OK. Don't judge him for that. Instead, he needs support and reassurance."

Usyk also revealed what he said to Joshua when the two-time world champion confronted him in the ring about how he could have lost again, following another points defeat in September 2021.

"He was simply asking how he, the strong guy, could have lost to me, the weak one," Usyk added.

"I wanted to talk to him, I said, 'ease up, man, let's just calm down, when I have time I could come to see you in the UK, come to your gym and we could spar together and stuff'."

Asked if Joshua still has a boxing future after suffering a third defeat of his career, Usyk added: "Of course, he does. Why not? What nonsense.

"OK, he has lost, so what? It's not lethal. It's just a small respite to do some homework."

Usyk now has 20 wins from 20 pro fights and intends to face WBC champion Tyson Fury next in an undisputed heavyweight contest.

But he revealed a meeting with the undefeated Briton will not happen before the end of 2022, as Fury has suggested.

"It won't happen this year, that's for sure," said Usyk. "As I said earlier at the presser, I'm totally healthy and don't have any injuries, but I have old traumas which have resurfaced, and which need to be treated. I will need up to two months to recuperate."

Fury responded on Twitter to Usyk's comments, insisting he was prepared to take on the unified champion in April or August next year.

After beating Joshua, Usyk had said he didn't want to fight again unless it was against the 34-year-old.

But he may now continue should Fury retire or not.

"We'll see. I don't want to make empty statements," added Usyk. "Look, I'm just not interested… I could still box with Tyson Fury or with [Deontay] Wilder, but that's where my interest ends."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/62769798
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very graceful and diplomatic of Usyk to not call him out on his despicable, repugnant, juvenile, insecure behavior. Usyk should be a politician! LOL

Thread Information