Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  110
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins Anthony Joshua or Oleksandr Usyk

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Joshua v Oleksandr Usyk 2

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anthony Joshua v Oleksandr Usyk 2

Tottenham ‘really want’ to stage Joshua vs Usyk 2 reveals Eddie Hearn after holding talks with Levy over rematch venue

TOTTENHAM 'really want' to stage Anthony Joshua's rematch with Oleksandr Usyk.

Promoter Eddie Hearn has already held talks with Tottenham chief Daniel Levy about staging the fight and says he would 'love' to use the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium again.

It comes as Usyk and his manager touched down in the UK to discuss the venue for the rematch - which is set for May or June.

Usyk was last in Britain when he dethroned AJ of the WBA, IBF and WBO unified belts at Spurs' north London home in September.

And after failed talks for an undisputed title decider with Tyson Fury, the Ukrainian is now left to rematch Joshua.

Hearn has already held talks for a mega-money site deal in the Middle East.

[IMG][/IMG]

Oleksandr Usyk is in the UK to discuss a venue for his rematch with Anthony Joshua

But with Usyk returning to the scene of the crime for negotiations, Joshua could be set to have home advanatage once again.

Hearn told DAZN: "I’ve just come back from the Middle East.

It comes as Usyk and his manager touched down in the UK to discuss the venue for the rematch - which is set for May or June.

Usyk was last in Britain when he dethroned AJ of the WBA, IBF and WBO unified belts at Spurs' north London home in September.

And after failed talks for an undisputed title decider with Tyson Fury, the Ukrainian is now left to rematch Joshua.

Hearn has already held talks for a mega-money site deal in the Middle East.

But with Usyk returning to the scene of the crime for negotiations, Joshua could be set to have home advanatage once again.

Hearn told DAZN: "I’ve just come back from the Middle East.

"We’ve had numerous meetings with different countries in the Middle East to stage that fight.

"Had a call with Daniel Levy from Tottenham which was where the first fight was at, they really want to bring the rematch back there, I love the idea of that as well.

"Egis Klymas and Oleksandr Usyk are actually in the UK this week so we’re going to sit down with them and just talk through everything."

Joshua, 32, immediately invoked his right to a rematch with Usyk, 35, after his 12-round loss last year.

But at the same time, Saudi backers were fronting cash and talks for Fury, 33, to step in and unify all the belts instead.

Negotiations went down to the wire, but ultimately a step-aside deal for AJ collapsed, meaning he will instead fight Usyk.

Meanwhile, Fury will proceed in his WBC mandatory title defence against Dillian Whyte, 33, on April 23, likely at Wembley.

The undisputed talks meant AJ was left in the lurch and as a result, means his rematch with Usyk could be backdated as far as June.

Hearn said: "We’re getting to a stage now where we’re going to start thinking about securing a date which will be the end of May or June.

"There’s nothing that’s going to stop Anthony Joshua from taking that fight."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17736...oshua-rematch/
    Last edited by Master; 02-22-2022 at 09:02 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshua v Oleksandr Usyk 2

I had no idea he was definitely taking the rematch
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

aj is broken. if the rematch ever takes place he'll just be turning up for the l & a payday
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As with many proposed fights now..really hope this happens! Good on AJ to go right back in and I do believe it's his only road forward. He needs to make the changes in there and more so upstairs mentally. Did the rewatch and was again surprised at how often he was being clipped. Nothing huge and moving him but Usyk is brilliant at rolling off the accurate snapping shots.

This belongs in the UK either way. If made at all. Things are opening up big time for fans post covid, screw Dubai bring it all home and blow it up.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep - I'm guessing holding it in the Ukraine is now out

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This invasion must have some impact on Usyk.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Joshua ‘two weeks’ away from revealing identity of new coach and starting training camp for Usyk rematch

ANTHONY JOSHUA is two weeks away from revealing the identity of his new coach and beginning preparations for his high-stakes rematch with Oleksandr Usyk.

AJ ditched long-time trainer Rob McCracken in the wake of his lopsided points defeat to the undefeated Ukranian last September - but has kept the identity of his new head coach under wraps.

But promoter Eddie Hearn believes all will be revealed in a fortnight when the Watford warrior knuckles down for the do-or-die rematch.

When asked when Joshua's second tussle with Usyk will be officially announced, Hearn told BetFredTV: “I think when camp starts officially.

"If we’re looking at May or early June for the fight, you’re talking about 12 or 14 weeks to go, so we're probably two weeks away from starting full camp and I’m sure Anthony Joshua and his team will announce any additions to that training team in due course.

"He knows what he’s doing and where he’s going."

Defeat in his Tottenham tussle with Usyk has lit a fire under Joshua, who was outboxed and outfoxed by the slick southpaw.

Hearn said: "He’s training really hard at the moment up in Loughborough and he looks sensational.

"He’s hungrier than ever and ready to recapture his heavyweight world titles.”

A date and venue for Joshua vs Usyk 2 have not yet been finalised, although Hearn is open to hosting the fight at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium again.

He said: "I was speaking with Daniel Levy from Tottenham last night and I’d love to go back to Spurs for the rematch.

"I thought It was the most incredible stadium. I would love to go back there.

"Usyk is also on a split of the money, so they’ll be going for an option which creates the most revenue."

Hearn has received multiple offers from around the world to stage the fight but would prefer to host it in London.

He said: "We’ve had offers from around the world to stage that fight. It’s the biggest heavyweight fight this year, certainly to date, and I think it’s going to be a major fight around the world.

"There’s a lot of interest. Mine and AJ’s preference is to do it back in London and we’re probably not a million miles away from announcing the fight.

"The contract is signed and everything is mostly done, we’ve just got to agree on a date and venue and then everything is done.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17758...t-boxing-news/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    This invasion must have some impact on Usyk.
    I don't think he'll fight when there's all this shit going on. The klitschkos have announced they're staying and prepared to fight front line so I figure he'll do the same.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Respect

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OLEKSANDR USYK'S preparations for his rematch with Anthony Joshua have been thrown into disarray following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The WBA, WBO and IBF heavyweight champion had been in England this week as talks continue with AJ over a fight date and location for their upcoming bout.

It is believed the dust-up is likely to rake place in late May or June with Tottenham among the frontrunners to host the event.

In a blow for Usyk, the Daily Mail have claimed that he will not be returning to his regular training base just outside of Kiev.

That is due to Russia's invasion of Ukraine after Vladimir Putin declared war on their neighbouring country.

Usyk's promoter Alex Krassyuk has told the Mail that he has 'no idea' what The Cat will do for his preparations.

And he suggested to them that coming back to Ukraine to train will be 'impossible'.

Usyk could now relocate to Oxnard, California, where he and training partner Vasyl Lomachenko have had camps in the past.

The former undisputed cruiserweight champion is back in Ukraine where he has pleaded for 'no war' with Russia.

Posting a video on Instagram captioned 'NO WAR', Usyk wrote: "Some wrote to me that I ran away.

"I didn’t, I was at work but I’m back, I’m home.

"Friends, we have to unite because it’s a hard time right now and I’m really emotional and worry about my country, and our people.

"Friends, we have to stop this war, all of us together."

Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn has insisted that the conflict between Ukraine and Russia will have no impact on Joshua's rematch with Usyk.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17766...ssia-invasion/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can’t see this fight happening may or June now.

Usyk will be in Ukraine with other priorities and this thing is not going to be over quickly - if it is over quickly then you dread to think what might have gone down.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ might beat a mentally down Usyk.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ANTHONY JOSHUA could accept an interim bout next with his rematch against Oleksandr Usyk in doubt.

The pair are contracted to a second fight this year following Usyk's 12-round upset at Tottenham last September.

But the unbeaten two-weight champion is currently defending Ukraine amid the invasion of Vladimir Putin's Russia.

Promoter Eddie Hearn revealed finding a tune-up opponent for Joshua, 32, is not out of the question if Usyk, 34, is otherwise out of the picture.

So here SunSport runs down six candidates suitable for the job.

Otto Wallin
    If AJ is to stay busy he will likely be scouting for a southpaw opponent to help him best prepare for Usyk.

Wallin's profile is big enough to help Joshua sell tickets and pay-per-views - after he gave Tyson Fury 47 stitches in 2019.

He was deemed a low-enough risk for Dillian Whyte, 33, to face last October while the Brit already had a guaranteed shot at Fury, 33.

And although it fell through, Joshua has formerly sparred and boxed lefty Wallin in the amateurs, giving him enough knowledge of the Swede.

Luis Ortiz
    The Cuban was once the most feared southpaw in the division, but two losses to Deontay Wilder appear to have taken its toll.

Ortiz, now 42, most recently beat Charles Martin, 35, in January but had to pick himself off the canvas to do so.

He still has massive name value and has an equally tricky style to Usyk.

Joshua came close to fighting Ortiz in 2019 but the contender instead opted to chase a rematch with Wilder.

Zhilei Zhang
    At 6ft 6in, the Chinese heavyweight does not cut the same frame as Usyk but is at least a southpaw.

He is also signed to Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing stable, making negotiations easier.

Not only that, Joshua has history with Zhang dating back to their amateur days, winning in the quarter-finals of the 2012 London Olympics.

Zhang, 38, is unbeaten as a professional but in February 2021 drew to Jerry Forrest, giving AJ the confidence the task would not be too risky.

Jerry Forrest
    The aforementioned American is the most under the radar of the lot but would certainly offer Joshua some valuable southpaw rounds.

Forrest, 33, has lost to contenders such as Jermaine Franklin, 28, and Carlos Takam, 41, in recent years.

But his two most recent fights were draws, against Zhang and then the highly-touted Michael Hunter, 33.

Joshua could expect a tough enough run-out against Forrest, who has only ever been stopped once.

Joseph Parker
    The New Zealander is not a southpaw nor low risk, but Joshua has at least responded to Parker's call for a rematch.

AJ, who beat him in 2018, told Behind The Gloves: "I’ll fight Joseph Parker.

"Do you know what it is? My record shows, it's a fight at the end of the day, what do you want me to do?

"I don't give a f***, I'll fight whoever, whenever, it's only a fight. Do you know what I'm trying to say? So yeah, I'll fight, 100 per cent."

Deontay Wilder
    The Bronze Bomber is quite possibly the only big fight Joshua and Hearn would consider taking before a rematch with Usyk.

Their history, opposing styles and recent losses makes the clash a box office blockbuster and arguably as big as anything involving Usyk.

The ex-WBC champ at 36 is yet to confirm whether he will retire or not but it appears clear if he returns it will only be for big fights.

AJ and Wilder could se llout just about any stadium or arena worldwide and would be the biggest fight for either of them to take at this point.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17829...ainian-russia/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oleksandr Usyk v Anthony Joshua: Heavyweight champion leaves Ukraine to start training

Heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk has left his native Ukraine to prepare for his rematch with Anthony Joshua.

Usyk, 35, has been helping to defend his country from the Russian invasion after enlisting in Ukraine's military.

He beat Joshua in September to become the unified heavyweight champion and is set to face the Briton again in June.

Usyk will now begin his training camp but, contrary to some reports, the BBC understands the camp is not in neighbouring Poland.

April had initially been mentioned as a potential date for the rematch, but Joshua's search for a new trainer and prolonged talks with WBC champion Tyson Fury forced a delay.

After Joshua decided against stepping aside from the fight to face Fury, his promoter Eddie Hearn said May was a target.

But Joshua's bid to win back the WBA (Super), IBF and WBO belts was pushed back further when Russian troops invaded Ukraine at the end of February.

Usyk is one of several former and current Ukrainian boxers who have come to the defence of their homeland.

Three-weight world champion Vasiliy Lomachenko, 34, has also taken up arms while brothers Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko, both former world heavyweight champions, are also in Kyiv.

Vitali, 50, has been mayor of the city since 2014 while Wladimir, 45, joined the city's military reserve last month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/60850530

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From a purely boxing perspective this is great news. I wouldn't have had a problem with Joshua fighting a Wallin, Wilder or Joyce in the interim. But if Usyk is ready, get to work.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information