Boxing Forums



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  78
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 212

Thread: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

Share/Bookmark
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    62,642
    Mentioned
    1632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2939
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    You are right about Callum Smith, he was a real let down.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    43,680
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4953
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    There's probably an asterisk against anything upcoming to be fair. The participants nationality is the tip of the iceberg. Until they're in the ring and all that.

    Good fight, quality fight. I know there will be Charlo/Andrade/Benavidez this and that, but I'm with Canelo on this. Fuck off and do your own thing and I'll beat up who's left when the smoke clears. Whats the saying about hoping or wishing it will happen? Go away and make it happen. It's all getting a bit desperate.
    Crazy days right now. Not allowing the strap to be defended might just halt this in its tracks but as goes boxing they may conjure some technicality to allow it. They may be onto something with no banners-flags or anthems though . All feels like some eerie old school cold war wrestling right now, slap a big hammer and sickle on Bivol robe and have Canelo come out in some stars n Bars unitard.

    Pop had a saying for the bolded...'you can wish in one and shit in the other, see which fills up fastest'.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    62,642
    Mentioned
    1632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2939
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    Klitschko brothers call for Russian boxer to be banned from fighting Canelo Alvarez

    The Klitschko brothers have called on boxing authorities to ban Russian boxer Dmitry Bivol from fighting against Canelo Alvarez following Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

    More than two million people have now fled the country and the UN has recorded over 1,335 civilian casualties since the war began, with a host of sanctions imposed on Russia as a result.

    In the sporting world there has been a near universal response with F1 cancelling the Russian Grand Prix and Russian athletes prevented from competing at the Paralympic Winter Games.

    But one high-profile Russian athlete – undefeated WBA light-heavyweight champion Bivol – is still due to face pound-for-pound superstar Canelo, and the Klitschkos do not believe the bout should go ahead.

    Asked if Bivol should be allowed to fight Canelo, Wladimir Klitschko – who has remained in Kyiv to fight against Russia alongside his brother – told BBC Radio 5 Live: ‘Absolutely not.

    ‘Every sanction, and it’s nothing against the personality or athletes, it’s about the politics of Russia.

    ‘Every Russian representative in this case needs to be sanctioned, because this way we show to Russia that the world is against this senseless war and that there’s no good in this war.’

    Vitali, who is the Mayor of Kyiv, added: ‘And the Russia population have to put pressure on the government, on Putin, from inside the country and show that it’s actually a senseless war.

    ‘People pay with their lives, already thousands from both sides have died. The question is: for what?

    ‘For what [purpose] is the war? For our idea of being part of the European Union? For our idea of being part of the European family?

    ‘The reason is because Putin does not want to see Ukraine as an independent country. He has a crazy idea to rebuild the Soviet empire. We were in the USSR and we don’t want to go back to the USSR.

    ‘We see our future as a democratic, modern country and that’s why we’re fighting for values, for principles, for our country.’

    In further quotes carried by The Daily Mail, Wladimir actually called on the US government to intervene and prevent Bivol from travelling to Las Vegas.

    The former heavyweight added: ‘It is important that this boxer is forbidden from fighting in America, just as all Russian athletes are being banned from international competition.’

    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...cid=entnewsntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    25,023
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1875
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    Ban Bivol because of what Putin is doing?

    Hey... mad respect for the Klitschko brothers. They're going above and beyond in their defense of their homeland. It's also understandable why they would have those sentiments. But from an objective perspective, what is gained by banning Bivol from fighting Canelo? Olympic teams? Sure. Other international team competitions? Absolutely. But Bivol is a professional boxer who just happens to be from Russia. I'm pretty sure he wasn't consulted about the decision to invade Ukraine.

    Although TBH... if Bivol is going to be another "Timid Susan" in the ring with Canelo, and hand him a decision... yeah... ban him from fighting Canelo.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,439
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    954
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    I'll take Canelo by KO. I'm not saying Bivol hasn't got the goods, he's a good light heavy but he's very wide with his punches and likes to fight at his own pace and can be caught going straight back sometimes. He might not have been ready for that shot at the bell by Joe Smith, but it shows he can be wobbled. He recovered well for the next round, but his legs were jelly and against a good finisher with time, I don't think he'll be given that chance. I think he's a bit more dynamic than Beterbiev and not quite as stiff. That being said, I still think he's going to get caught with a counter he doesn't see and his corner will throw in the towel before too much damage is done.

    Barring a KO, Bivols not winning a decision... not against Canelo. There will always be at least one judge that sees it 121-96 in favor if Canelo. Add this cancel culture nonsense on top of that and no way a Russian fighter will get anything in his favor on a world stage. It was a tactic that the clique-y teenage whiners brought to social media before the pandemic and now its been inflated to a global scale since, and is being used in war and international conflict and competition... how embarrassing. "I don't like you so we're gonna tell everyone you're not a nice person and everyone is going to out of their way to act like they ignore you to show how they good they are by attacking you and your views.." "Its not enough for you not to do the thing I don't like, you have to attack the people doing what I don't like..." Imagine being an athlete who has trained your whole life for something and then being told you can't compete because people are in their feelings about what your country/ancestors/ people that are the same skin color/ gender/ religion, etc did and where from 2 seconds ago to thousands of years ago. Whatever happened to the good old days when if someone had a problem with you directly, they stepped to you and went out on their feet or on their ass? or even filed a lawsuit (where you both had something to lose if you were wrong) Large scale tattling and shit-talking has become a way for people to get other people fight their battles for them. Mike Tyson was right, the internet made people too comfortable talking crap about people without getting punched in the face for it.

    Klitchsko should know better. If you want to fight for your country, that's great. but there are people on both side of that border in harms way. Neither of which has to do with Bivol being able to fight Canelo.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

    Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    62,642
    Mentioned
    1632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2939
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    The 2 biggest tests for Canelo just happen to be Russian. Respect to Alvarez for even to dare and move up in weight to take them on. I think both would beat Canelo and would be a bridge too far for him.

    Still cannot get over the fact that 1 judge had the first bout against Golovkin 118-110 to Canelo.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5,516
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    262
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    canelo fighting dmitry before artur did. legend
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

    Titofan:

    The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

    Also Titofan:

    GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

    Hidden Content

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    25,023
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1875
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The 2 biggest tests for Canelo just happen to be Russian. Respect to Alvarez for even to dare and move up in weight to take them on. I think both would beat Canelo and would be a bridge too far for him.

    Still cannot get over the fact that 1 judge had the first bout against Golovkin 118-110 to Canelo.


    I'll see your judge... and raise you the judge that saw the Floyd-Canelo fight 114-114.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    62,642
    Mentioned
    1632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2939
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez believes David Benavidez and Jermall Charlo should ‘fight each other’ as he insists ‘I’m busy this year’.

    Undisputed super-middleweight world champion Canelo Alvarez, 31, will move up to 178 pounds and challenge WBA light heavyweight titleholder Dmitry Bivol on May 7 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

    Naturally, this move has been met with criticism from some quarters, including Benavidez, 25, Charlo, 31, and Demetrius Andrade, 34.

    But boxing‘s pound-for-pound king claims he doesn’t care about what other people think because he is tired of them waiting around for a ‘payday’ against him.

    Canelo told DAZN: “I’m busy this year.

    “I know they want that payday but I really don’t understand why they don’t fight each other.

    “Fight each other and then I’ll fight the winner of all of them. I don’t f****** care.”

    It comes after Canelo recently signed a contract for a two-fight deal with Matchroom and DAZN.

    Promoter Eddie Hearn, who promoted both of his last two fights against Caleb Plant and Billy Joe Saunders, struggled to contain his excitement at working again with the Mexican.

    He also responded to claims that Canelo is avoiding fights with Benavidez and Charlo by insisting that he ‘would not dodge anyone’.

    Speaking to FightHype.com, Hearn said: “People say, oh Canelo, oh he ducked Charlo, he ducked Benavidez – absolute bull***t. Canelo will not duck anyone.

    “Canelo wants to at least feel like he’s either gaining something from fighting you or winning a belt or you’ve earned the fight.

    “He looks at Benavidez and he looks at Charlo and he won’t want to say it publicly because he’ll feel like he’s making excuses but he’s like, ‘Those guys don’t fight anybody’, same with Demetrius.

    “It’s not their faults – well it’s probably Charlo’s fault – but it’s not Benavidez’s fault and it’s not Andrade’s fault.

    “I believe David Benavidez wants to be in big fights but they’re not delivering it for him. I know that Demetrius wants to be in big fights. Not sure about Charlo because he’s turned down a lot of big fights.

    “That’s the plan is to put them together but I think that Benavidez will be a massive star and down the road Canelo vs Benavidez is a massive fight.

    “If he can get some decent wins on his resume it will be a massive fight.”

    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...id=msedgntphdr
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    25,023
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1875
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    For once I agree with the ginger-haired diva. He can't fight everyone at once... and everyone's clamoring for the cash cow. Carefully coddled or not (I choose the former)... the fact is he's where he's at, and everyone wants a piece of him. There's all kinds of time for Ginger to fight Benavidez. Ditto with Charlo. Andrade's getting up there in age, but what the hell. Again... I'm happy Ginger's fighting Bivol, without (it appears so far) any diva demands. Unfortunately... Canelo only fights at home, where the judges all have their pockets lined and the Ginger brand is sacred. So Bivol better come to fight, and try and get Ginger out of there. Otherwise it's CJ Ross all over again.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5,516
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    262
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    i doubt judges will be needed for this fight. canelo will end it by a late knockout
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

    Titofan:

    The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

    Also Titofan:

    GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

    Hidden Content

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    62,642
    Mentioned
    1632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2939
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    i doubt judges will be needed for this fight. canelo will end it by a late knockout
    If judges are needed then Bivol should win on points. He will outbox Canelo as Kovalev was doing before he capitulated late on in their fight. I need to find out how the judges had that fight because Canelo should have been behind.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5,516
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    262
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    i doubt judges will be needed for this fight. canelo will end it by a late knockout
    If judges are needed then Bivol should win on points. He will outbox Canelo as Kovalev was doing before he capitulated late on in their fight. I need to find out how the judges had that fight because Canelo should have been behind.
    i think canelo could also win on the cards like he did against ggg in the second fight. but i see a canelo knockout or dmitry getting bludgeoned in survival mode. the judges had canelo ahead on two cards ninety six to ninety four & even on the third. i had in even after ten
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

    Titofan:

    The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

    Also Titofan:

    GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

    Hidden Content

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,059
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    826
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    i doubt judges will be needed for this fight. canelo will end it by a late knockout
    If judges are needed then Bivol should win on points. He will outbox Canelo as Kovalev was doing before he capitulated late on in their fight. I need to find out how the judges had that fight because Canelo should have been behind.
    The judges had it pretty close with Alvarez ahead by one, maybe even on one of them...although that's one I totally disagree with, I don't see why Kovalev was scoring so many points, he was just retreating and tapping Alvarez s gloves the whole fight, the only good punches came from Alvarez and then of course he ended it :S

  15. #30
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    25,023
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1875
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    i doubt judges will be needed for this fight. canelo will end it by a late knockout
    If judges are needed then Bivol should win on points. He will outbox Canelo as Kovalev was doing before he capitulated late on in their fight. I need to find out how the judges had that fight because Canelo should have been behind.

    I disagree on both counts, @Master.

    Bivol will never win on points. Never. Nunca. Jamais. Nooit. Nie. Not in Vegas, for crying out loud. Bivol would have to drop Canelo in every round to have any chance at getting a decision. And even then it would be split.

    Ginger is the most protected fighter in modern history... and anyone who doesn't believe that is suffering from denial.

    Kovalev fought Ginger like a shell-shocked Bambi. Looks like Andre Ward's KO of him to the body took out any of the bully that used to intimidate opponents. Team Ginger must've watched LOTS of film.

    Bivol's not a murderous puncher.

    So unfortunately he goes for the knockout and risks getting tagged himself..... or he resigns himself to seeing Ginger's arm raised at the end of the fight regardless of who actually deserves the decision.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Avni Yildirim
    By Master in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 03-03-2021, 10:14 AM
  2. Replies: 236
    Last Post: 01-11-2020, 06:37 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-15-2018, 10:32 PM
  4. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM
  5. Saul El Canelo Alvarez tribute
    By outspoken in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-20-2011, 12:07 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Forum | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Saddo Boxing - Boxing