Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

‘It isn’t too late’ – Oscar De La Hoya tries to tempt Canelo Alvarez away from Eddie Hearn and back to Golden Boy Promotions following loss to Dmitry Bivol

It appears Oscar De La Hoya and Canelo Alvarez’s broken relationship could still be repaired.

On Saturday night, Canelo suffered a huge upset at the hands of Russia’s Dmitry Bivol, as he was soundly beaten being out-landed in every round to lose by unanimous decision.

The fight was promoted by Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing, after Canelo signed a three-fight deal with the promotional company reportedly worth $160 million.

Canelo has mainly been working with Hearn since splitting with De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, although he also had one fight with Premier Boxing Champions when he fought Caleb Plant last year.

The Mexican sued De La Hoya and Golden Boy to become a free agent in 2020 and it appears the friendship between Canelo and his former promoter and idol suffered in the process.

Ahead of Canelo’s fight with Billy Joe Saunders in May 2021, he claimed in an interview that De La Hoya had ‘no loyalty’ and is more ‘worried about drinking’.

De La Hoya responded under an Instagram post of Canelo teaching a young boxer the fundamentals of the sport.

“Please, this guy does everything wrong. Head up when he throws hooks. On his heels, flat-footed. What else? Oh, he avoids Charlo.”

Canelo did not hold back in his reply, saying, “Oh really? You want me to talk? F***ing traitor.

“Do me a favour and go f*** yourself.”

At this point it seemed there was no coming back for these two, but following Canelo loss to Bivol, De La Hoya has extended an olive branch, though Hearn may look at it as a little mischief making from the Hall of Famer.

“It isn’t too late (yet) to switch back to the best promoter.” De La Hoya said.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...-dmitry-bivol/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Yarde has said he knows EXACTLY how to beat Dmitry Bivol after watching his fight with Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez.

WBA light heavyweight champion Bivol successfully defended his 175-pound world title with a unanimous decision victory over Canelo Alvarez at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas last weekend.

The Russian moved to 20-0 on Saturday as all three judges scored it 115-113 in his favour.

But despite dominating the majority of the fight, Yarde insists he knows the blueprint on how to defeat Bivol.

When asked how he would go about beating Bivol, he told Queensberry Promotions’ YouTube channel: “I personally think I would know how to beat Bivol.

“It would be a task because he’s fundamentally very good. I don’t lie to anybody, I’m not going to say, ‘Ah, it’s an easy fight for me,’ or anything like that. He’s fundamentally very good.

“You saw it in the Canelo fight with his footwork, knowing when to step back, knowing when to come forward, and all those kinds of things.

“I think how you beat someone like Bivol is you’ve got to match him. That’s it literally for me. You’ve got to match him and at times outsmart him.

“Craig Richards is someone I know, did extremely well against Bivol, and that was his first world title fight. What happened to Craig Richards is what happened to me.

“It was the luck of the draw. You get the most dangerous person at the time. When I fought [Sergey] Kovalev, he was the most dangerous light heavyweight in the world, and he got Bivol.

“I think the two most dangerous light heavyweights right now in my opinion that are world champions are Bivol and Beterbiev, the two Russians again.

“But you saw how good Craig done [sic] against him, so I fancy my chances.”

Bivol, 31, shocked the world by beating Canelo, also 31, over 12 rounds in Las Vegas.

But Yarde says he wasn’t exactly surprised by the result as he originally thought it was a pick ’em anyway.

He added: “No one had Bivol winning that fight.

“I was one of the few who said it was a 50-50 fight.

“Just for the sheer fact that Canelo is biting off a lot coming up to light heavyweight and fighting a fighter that’s game, has good fundamentals, and throws a lot of punches.

“Canelo’s thing has always been that he throws a lot of single shots and he bullies a lot of people, but going up to light heavyweight, it’s going to be hard to bully a person like Bivol.

“He [Canelo] fought Kovalev under four weeks after Kovalev fought me. Kovalev was still complaining about headaches. I know that kind of thing after he fought me.

“So after that turnaround, fighting someone like Canelo, you could see why he got caught. He was winning the fight before he got knocked out. That showed me something.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...b5738e8ad33929

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally I think the talk of Bivol dropping to 168 now for a Canelo rematch is flat nuts. Not because he may not arrive there healthy but honestly..I'm more interested in Bivol meeting the Smith Jr v Beterbiev winner for total 175 unification. I get it..Canelo is the cash cow and boxings 'face' apparently even after a completely one sided strategy clinic and not managing to make a single adjustment. But ffs it's been 5 days of Canelo obsession and with a few excuses tossed in. He's made his bed with the 6 point path to GOAT nonsense and overlooking Golovkin III and assuming all dominance with both he and Bivol. Oddly that fight takes on new light. So let Canelo go take care of his pre ordered signed business with his first rival. Go sort that out. Here I am assuming Beterbiev beats Smith convincingly possibly after a very rocky early start, but Beterbiev v Bivol is a great super super fight fans should demand.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well done to dmitry. i always saw dmitry as a big risk. i would prefer to see canelo return to one sixty eight & dmitry unify with the artur v joe winner, but i'm interested to see what canelo can bring into a rematch. i think dmitry's style will always cause canelo problems, i think canelo does better against artur. canelo took on one of the best in the division, a division higher & came up short. no shame in that. let's see where things proceed from here
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great performance by Bivol. They tried their best to make it dirty on the cards but he was too clearly the winner to shaft him. Once again the DAZN commentary was utterly appalling. Mannix wasn't alone in his lunacy. Fat Dan had Canelo 5 rounds up after 4.

Bivol basically pulled his pants down didnt he. He did pretty much what he wanted in there. Went forward when he wanted to, went backwards when it suited. Canelo did what Canelo does and threw big single punches which has been an effective template for a while. Bivol was having none of it. The little wink at the end of the fight as he looked up and down his slightly reddened arm was brilliant. I see you..

Bivol was too big, too strong, but most importantly, too good.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Before the biggest fight of his career, Dmitry Bivol has admitted he spoke to Hall of Fame trainer and analyst Teddy Atlas.

The Russian - now 20-0 - overcame Canelo Alvarez on points with all three judges scoring it 115-113 in favour of him although it was much more comfortable than the scorecards suggested.

Following the win, Bivol and his team paid tribute to Atlas for some of the tactics he provided them.
    On his podcast The Fight, Atlas - famous for working with Michael Moorer and Mike Tyson - revealed what exactly was said prior to the Cinco de Mayo clash.

"About a week before the fight, the manager called me and asked about the possibility of giving a little talking to him and even possibly being out there but that didn't obviously come to fruition," said Atlas. "I had a facetime phone call with the fighter, the manager, and the trainer. I just saw a good person. "I have always felt something for the underdog, for the person who was up against a little extra. And he was up against a little extra as nobody was for this guy, everybody was for the golden goose, the anointed one.

"The Bivol camp were the ones up against it, no one was looking out for them. It's a lonely sport anyway, you get in the ring and all that matters is that you take care of what you need to take care of cause nobody else can get in the ring with you. "I spoke to him, and they knew what they were doing. It would be ludicrous to try to think that I did anything other than verifying things they already worked on for their camp and knew what was going to be productive for them and possible for them.

"The jab was going to be the key, the jab and the legs. Maybe not the quick legs and the ability to move with Bivol but the slow legs. I thought that's why he lost the fight to Mayweather. His hands may have not been too slow, but his legs were too slow to close gaps.

"I said if I was Canelo's trainer, I would say to him, 'you can't win this fight without your jab'. And everybody is thinking power punches, and hooks to the body and right hands, and the right uppercut. But that was my feeling, if he doesn't use his jab then he's going to be very beatable."

As Atlas predicted, the jab became the key in the fight right from the first round as Bivol continuously flicked out his left hand in order to maintain the distance between the fighters. It troubled Canelo and didn't allow him to get into his rhythm to the extent that the Mexican only landed 10 jabs all fight compared to Bivol who landed nine in round one alone. "I pointed out I watched on tape you go back in straight sometimes two or three steps, and you can't do that with Canelo" the boxing commentator continued.

"You go back two or three steps you're still on the path to the punch. "He doubles his jab and follows you with the right hand then you're in the path for him and he will track you down and catch you. You go back and then off to the side or move your head and counter punch, but don't keep going back straight.

"And it's funny because as I'm watching the fight, I did see a moment where he went back straight to or three steps and it looked like Canelo was on to him and he doubled the jab. "I don't know if he landed or just missed with the right hand but after that I noticed Bivol correct it. I don't know if it had anything to do with me, probably not, but he went back and then went off to the side.

"The other thing I said is he's got to jab and got to jab at the right place and time and distance because if you jab from too close, he's gonna counter you with a right hand and he's very good at timing fighters and very good at countering fighters. "There's two ways to really take away a man's jab, one is with your own jab which I thought Canelo needed to do. The other is by countering right hands over the opponent's jab so he's hesitant to jab because he could get hurt"

It seemed as though all the advice Bivol took on from Atlas was well-received as he implemented the game plan perfectly to dismantle the pound for pound superstar and propelled his name onto the global stage. Yet despite all the technical advice, Atlas believed it was this last bit of mental advice that really sunk into the mindset of the champion.

"I said to him if I've learnt anything in my long career, it's that there is no superman, you can get intimated but there is no superman. There is no S painted on anyone's chest. "And I said he is what he is, he's a good fighter but so are you. He was very alert listening, very respectful when I said this. I could just see the way he was tuning into it," added Atlas.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...105ee900b4e75b

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dmitry Bivol is still waiting to be paid following his shock victory over Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez.

And he admits that he does not know when the money will arrive in his bank account.

The Russian upset the odds to beat the Mexican superstar pretty much punch for punch for large parts of their Las Vegas clash before being awarded the victory by a two-round margin.

But Bivol, who reportedly agreed a £4m fight purse, has revealed he is yet to receive the fee due to sanctions imposed on Russia following the ongoing invasion of Ukraine.

Bivol told the TASS news agency: “I was willing to earn a lot less just to get this fight.

“I needed this fight, it was the No.1 task. I think it’s very difficult [to be paid]. I haven’t faced this challenge yet because it hasn’t arrived yet.

“We are still thinking about how to do it. We didn’t think ahead because the situation is changing rapidly. I didn’t even think about it and said to my manager: Vadim [Kornilov], come on, this will be your headache’.”

Canelo Alvarez, 31, has a rematch clause in his contract and hinted that he could trigger it to fight Bivol next.

But the unbeaten 175lb champ isn’t sure if there will be a sequel as he insisted that the thought hasn’t even crossed his mind as of right now.

Bivol added: “I have a clause in my contract, according to which I am obliged to give Alvarez a rematch.

“We did not prescribe the conditions in advance, and this is good, I don’t even think about future plans now.

“Before each fight, I tune in and think that this is my last fight. Yes, there are some vague plans, but I am always in the mood as if this is the last fight.”

Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn, who promotes both boxers, believes there are only two options out there for Canelo – including a trilogy fight with Gennady Golovkin.

During a recent appearance on The DAZN Boxing Show, he said: “There’s two clear options now. One is to have the undisputed fight at 168, the trilogy with Gennady Golovkin, and then rematch Dmitry Bivol, because let me tell you, there is no way he is not rematching Dmitry Bivol. Or you go straight into the Dmitry Bivol fight.

“You go back to the GGG fight, before the Bivol fight when we were talking about Canelo-GGG it was, like, ‘That’s an easy fight for Canelo now,’ and you feel like if Canelo Alvarez would’ve beaten Bivol, he would’ve been a huge favorite going into that fight.

“Now, remarkably, there are question marks over Canelo Alvarez. ‘Could GGG beat him in the trilogy?’ That fight becomes a bit more competitive.

“This week is moving week for us to sit down with Saul and Eddy Reynoso and say, ‘What do we want to do?’

“Personally, I’m happy with either. The GGG fight is still probably the biggest fight in boxing. The Bivol fight is so dangerous, so tricky – Canelo would go into the Bivol fight an underdog for the first time in his career.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...0e65f39183e3da

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smart move by Bivol.

He has just spent months playing second fiddle to the 'A side', was written off, nobody in the press was interested in him, he was the champ but was treated as the challenger, he was cheated on the cards ...... but he still did whatever he wanted with Saul, dominated him and ruined his big plans.

Why not put the fear of god into Alvarez by saying he could easily go down to SMW and do exactly the same thing to him, ruining his pretensions of GOATness and taking away the excuse that size mattered. go for it, Dimitry.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it would be a boss move for dmitry to fight the rematch with canelo at one sixty eight & try to take all the hardware
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THE pay-per-view buys for Canelo Alvarez's unsuccessful return to light-heayweight have been revealed.

Former pound-for-pound king Canelo suffered a unanimous decision defeat in his bid to dethrone WBA light-heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol earlier this month.

But the Mexican's attempt to become a two-time 175lb champion wasn't as much of a box-office success as some of his previous fights.

According to boxing reporter Dan Rafael, the fight generated 520,000 buys in the United States - where it was being broadcast by DAZN.

Although over half a million fight fans purchased Canelo vs Bivol, that number paled in comparison to the pay-per-view buys for the future hall-of-famer's showdown with Caleb Plant last November.

A whopping 800,000 people parted with their hard-earned cash to see Canelo unify the super-middleweight division.

The disparity in pay-per-view buys isn't a surprise given that slick striker Bivol is a relative unknown to casual boxing fans.

The reported numbers for Canelo's failed bid to become a two-time 175lb champ come just days after Eddie Hearn hit out at rival promoter Leonard Ellerbe for claiming the fight was a PPV flop.

He told Pro Boxing Fans: "If I don’t know what I’m doing, why am I 100 times bigger than Leonard Ellerbe?

“Why are we the biggest global promotional company in the world bar none?

"And Leonard Ellerbe is not even relevant actually in the boxing industry.

“When you talk about the top promoters in the world, do you mention Leonard Ellerbe? Let’s be honest, not in a millions years.

“He then comes out and says, 'Oh, Canelo Alvarez only done 300,000 [pay-per-view] buys.’

"Double it and add more and that’s how many buys [it did] and if you want, speak to DAZN and they’ll confirm it as well.

“This guy is hilarious. He is so angry, he has lost his mind. I need to take him out for a nice cup of tea, Leonard Ellerbe."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18642...ivol-ppv-buys/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dazn Stateside burned a lot of loyal subs with the shady ppv bs and many running into complications simply completing the order. Saw Hearn..of course..ranting about the number reported was doubled in reality . And Charlo v Castano II peaked at 800k viewers, their largest viewership in 3 years.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watched this again & I still can't believe that the judges nearly conspired to rob Bivol of his rightful victory, as the fight was not even close.

Canelo won 3 rounds, 4 at best & that's it.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez has opened up for the first time about his shock loss against WBA light-heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol, hinting he ‘couldn’t train like usual’ for the fight.

The boxing superstar failed in his attempt to become a two-time champion at 175lbs with all three judges scoring the contest 115-113 after 12 rounds. Most observers had Bivol winning by a wider margin, however.

Canelo opted against pursuing an immediate rematch with the Russian and will instead partake in a trilogy fight with Gennady Golovkin on September 17 in Las Vegas.

The Mexican boxer has suggested that there was an issue with his training camp heading into his fight with Bivol but insisted he will not use that as an excuse for his first defeat since 2013.

“I lost because I lost, not for golf or nothing. I was golfing three years ago, and I won the undisputed [super middleweight] championship, so that’s not the reason,” Canelo told Fight Hub.

"There’s another reason, but I don’t want to say anything and make any excuses. I lost and that’s it. I got tired and that’s it. I couldn’t train like usual, but it is what it is. I lost but I’m going to get my chance again.”

The 31-year-old revealed that when he does fight Bivol again, it will be at light-heavyweight, shutting down talk of a rematch taking place at his preferred weight of 168lbs.

“It’s not eating a vegan diet or nothing about that, it’s other things,” Cancelo said. It’s not that [overtraining], it’s other things. I don’t want to say anything. I don’t want excuses. I want to fight in his division,” Canelo said.

“It’s not that [overtraining], it’s other things. I don’t want to say anything. I don’t want excuses. I want to fight in his division.”

In the meantime, Bivol is likely to travel to the UK to take on undefeated British Olympian Joshua Buatsi, who picked up a 12-round decision win over his compatriot, Craig Richards in May.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...olovkin-fight/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why the mealy mouth mystery stuff from Canelo. "It was something else I don't want to say"

Funny he never mentioned what it actually 'was'..it was Bivol! Simple as. Saw the square off with Golovkin earlier and Canelo fuming and mean mugging. His tough guy stuff just feels like it's really wearing thin.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'm glad canelo says he wants the dmitry rematch at one seventy five. i don't think many fighters enter the ring at one hundred percent so there should never be excuses

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Thread Information