I've always known Teddy's a smart guy.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

Canelo Alvarez says he wants to become 'undisputed' as he prepares to face Dmitry Bivol

Canelo Alvarez has confirmed that he wants to try and become an undisputed champion at 175 pounds if he beats Dmitry Bivol.

On May 7, Canelo Alvarez will attempt to make history all over again as he prepares to challenge Dmitry Bivol for the WBA light heavyweight championship. It comes in the wake of Alvarez becoming the undisputed super middleweight champion with the Mexican going in search of as many belts as he can possibly obtain in professional boxing.

There’s a lot of speculation regarding his future in the sport and where he’s going to go next, but of course, he first needs to get past an incredibly impressive Bivol in what will be one of his toughest tests to date.

During a recent interview with TMZ Sports, though, Canelo wasn’t shy when explaining his plan of action at light heavyweight.

“When you see the best fighter go up and down a weight class and beat all the champions? I think nobody, and I try to do my best. For boxing, for me, for my legacy.

“[Dmitry’s] a really good boxer. He’s a solid champion at 175. It’s a dangerous fight. I like it, I love that kind of challenge. I really like it. But, I believe in my abilities, and I’m strong too. So, I’m confident in that, but it’s gonna be a really good fight.”

“I like the idea to be undisputed at 175. That’s what I like, but you never know.”

The other two champions in that weight class are Artur Beterbiev and Joe Smith Jr, with the pair being set to square off in June to unify the WBC, IBF and WBO belts. If Canelo wins, he could take on the victor of that fight in late 2022 or early 2023.

The problem with this plan is that Canelo Alvarez has another foe he’s expected to face later this year – Gennady Golovkin.

The 31-year-old has already fought GGG twice with one draw and one win to his name. However, with interest in a trilogy fight being at an all-time high, Canelo may have to put his light heavyweight dreams on hold regardless of whether or not he gets past Bivol.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...b867349beae554
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m gonna go out on a limb . I fancy Bivol to win here. Nothing against Canelo, I’ve come to respect him over the last few years, and where you’ll always get some saying “he should fight X” or “he’s ducking Y”, but nobody else is fighting the quality of fighter he is, fight after fight.
    But I reckon his matchmaking team have underestimated Bivol. He’s a top champion, he moves well and he can punch.
    I’m usually quite safe with my predictions, but I’m all in on Bivol.
    And you know what? If Canelo does win, then I give him even more props, because he’ll have proved me wrong.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Five fighters who can beat Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez ahead of Dmitry Bivol test

Set for the T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada, Canelo comes into the bout as a big favourite.
    Unbeaten over the past nine years since a decision loss to the now-retired Floyd Mayweather, the flame-haired Mexican has become a dominant force in the sport, picking up title after title between the 154lb and 175lb weight classes.

Now, as he prepares to challenge the unbeaten 31-year-old Russian Bivol, Planet Sport has taken a look at some of the potential opponents that could yet challenge the seemingly near-invincible Guadalajaran native in the coming months and years.

David Benavidez 26-0

Widely viewed as one of Canelo's most potentially dangerous opponents, the unbeaten 25-year old steps back into the ring on May 21 as he challenges David Lemieux for the vacant WBC interim super middleweight title.

A former WBC super middleweight champion, Benavidez was stripped of his crown in 2018, having tested positive for cocaine use. Yet despite that career setback, El Bandera Roja has returned to the sport with three successive KO victories and should be expected to claim the scalp of the four-times beaten Canadian Lemieux later this month.

Boasting explosive power and come-forward aggression, the Phoenix born fighter has displayed serious star power in his rise towards the upper echelons of the super-middleweight class. However, the confident Benavidez has expressed his doubts as to whether a bout with Alvarez will ever come to fruition.

"At the end of the day, we all knew Canelo wouldn't want to fight me. He's fought his tough fights, he's a businessman. For him, it's not fighting the best; it's business."
    While it's hard to disagree with that exclamation, a showdown with Alvarez would undoubtedly set pulses racing.

Should the unbeaten 25-year old continue his exciting progression in the 168lb weight class in the coming months, Benavidez's claims could prove too loud to ignore, and he could yet prove to be the man to finally end the win streak of the brilliant Mexican.

Artur Beterbiev 17-0

If Alvarez claims the WBA (Super) light heavyweight title this coming Saturday, it would be hard to ignore current WBC and IBF unified light heavyweight champion Artur Beterbiev.

Beterbiev, who takes on Joe Smith Jr in June as he looks to add the WBO light heavyweight title to his collection, would prove an obvious and likely candidate to face Canelo in 2023 with the opportunity to unify another weight class, an itch Alvarez would surely have to scratch.

At 37, Beterbiev is no spring chicken but having fought just 17 times over a nine-year unbeaten professional career, the devastating Dagestan born Russian Canadian has low mileage on his clock, with all seventeen of his victories coming inside the distance.

A hard-hitting graduate of the famed Dagestan fighting dynasty, Beterbiev could prove a particularly dangerous assignment for the relentless Mexican. However, with Beterbiev now signed to Top Rank and Bob Arum, it remains to be seen if a deal could be done with Alvarez now being guided by Eddie Hearn's Matchroom.

Jermall Charlo 32-0

Another unbeaten pretender, WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo is a name that frequently appears near the top of most people's wishlist for future Canelo opponents.

Not to be confused with identical twin brother Jermell, the 31-year old Louisana native will defend his WBC middleweight title in June against Pole Maciej Sulecki, and while remaining an unbeaten champion, Charlo is very much in need of a big-name opponent as he looks to put the defining touches on a now fourteen-year professional career.

Lacking a career-defining bout on his resume, Canelo would certainly tick the boxes for Charlo but has the unbeaten American offered enough substance to deserve a shot at boxing's 21st century Golden Boy?

As the only American on this list, there remains every chance that a financially incentivised bout with Canelo could materialise down the line. However, it seems unlikely that the self-titled 'Future of Boxing' will win boxing's equivalent of the sweepstakes in the near future.

Gennadiy Golovkin - 42-1-1

Yes, for many of us, GGG has already scored at least one victory against Canelo, and his presence on this list seems almost insulting to the brilliant but ageing Kazakh.
    Golovkin was very much the victim of boxing robbery when awarded only a draw in his first bout with Canelo in 2017, while many felt he was again unfortunate to lose a majority decision in their subsequent rematch in 2018.

Having now celebrated his 40th birthday, a third bout with Canelo is scheduled for September should Alvarez, as expected, add the WBA light heavyweight title to his burgeoning collection this coming weekend.

Yet, there can be little doubt that the big Drama Show is now very much in the twilight of his glittering career.
    While Golovkin claimed the WBA middleweight title in April with a hard-fought KO victory in Japan against local hero Ryota Murata, the Karaganda born Kazakh did little to suggest that he remains capable of reaching the heights scaled earlier in his career.

Slower and easier to hit, there can be little doubt that Golovkin is a long way removed from his prime.
    Indeed, there is an argument that GGG's legacy would be better served should he avoid the temptation of a rubber match with Alvarez. Let history decide his scale of achievements before Canelo adds another highlight-reel KO to his collection.

Of course, it remains unlikely that the always likeable Kazakh will ignore the riches and rewards offered up by September's scheduled bout, but it seems unlikely that he will be able to give Canelo the same kind of problems he did some five years ago.

Mairis Briedis - 28-1

Unlikely? Perhaps, but a move to cruiserweight to challenge WBC champion Ilunga Makabu had been mooted prior to the announcement of Canelo's upcoming bouts with Bivol and Golovkin.

Of course, Makabu, while a titleholder, is not nearly the top dog amongst the active 200lb cruisers, with Latvian Mairis Breidis currently in possession of the IBF and The Ring cruiserweight titles.

At 37, the 28-1 Latvian champion might not have much time remaining at the top of the division, but he remains a serious force, with that sole loss coming against the sublimely skilled Oleksandr Usyk back in 2018.

Standing tall at over six feet, Breidis is big and strong and, while the recognised number one in the division, is unlikely to fall into Canelo's radar until he's taken care of more pressing business in the 175lb and 168lb divisions.

Still, should a move to cruiserweight to first challenge Makabu materialise in 2023, a bout with Breidis would surely capture plenty of attention? It would require some serious cojones for Canelo though to capture all the glory in the 200lb weight class.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...113bdf5351603d

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I’m gonna go out on a limb . I fancy Bivol to win here. Nothing against Canelo, I’ve come to respect him over the last few years, and where you’ll always get some saying “he should fight X” or “he’s ducking Y”, but nobody else is fighting the quality of fighter he is, fight after fight.
    But I reckon his matchmaking team have underestimated Bivol. He’s a top champion, he moves well and he can punch.
    And you know what? If Canelo does win, then I give him even more props, because he’ll have proved me wrong.
    i feel dmitry is a very dangerous fighter. as well as moving and punching well he also lets his hands go and can throw in bunches. whoever wins this fight will have earned all the admiration the victory will bring. i don't think the loser will lose much here as it's the best v the best and a serious challenge for both guys. the odds on dmitry are good. i just hope there is no controversy
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

filip el animal hrgovic is out of the zhilei big bang zhang fight
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    i feel dmitry is a very dangerous fighter. as well as moving and punching well he also lets his hands go and can throw in bunches. whoever wins this fight will have earned all the admiration the victory will bring. i don't think the loser will lose much here as it's the best v the best and a serious challenge for both guys. the odds on dmitry are good. i just hope there is no controversy

I too, hope there is no controversy. Moreover, I hope Bivol comes to fight. I don't think I can stomach another Kovalev act.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oleksandr Usyk responds to Canelo Alvarez's call for heavyweight showdown

Alvarez told Eddie Hearn that he is willing to step up to heavyweight to face world champion Usyk who himself faces a rematch with Anthony Joshua

Oleksandr Usyk is willing to drop back down to cruiserweight to fight Canelo Alvarez after the Mexican insisted he would jump up to heavyweight to take on his fellow world champion.

Alvarez has won world titles in four weight divisions while Usyk is the former undisputed cruiserweight world champion and current unified heavyweight ruler. The Ukrainian will defend his belts in his rematch with Anthony Joshua in July while Alvarez takes on light-heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol this weekend.

Alvarez, who has never fought about 175lb, claims he is willing to fight Usyk if a catchweight of 201lb, one pound above the cruiserweight limit, is agreed. In response, Usyk's manager said his charge would be willing to come back down to 200lb.

Usyk's last outing at cruiserweight was three-and-a-half years ago when he stopped Tony Bellew in the eighth round in Manchester. But manager Egis Kilmas wrote on social media: "Be our guest, Usyk will make cruiserweight for this one, but let Canelo concentrate on Bivol for now."

Alvarez's promoter Eddie Hearn revealed the Mexican legend's heavyweight ambitions when he told JOE: "When we talk about mindset and winning, he genuinely believes he can beat Oleksandr Usyk for the world heavyweight title. He said to me ‘if you can make that fight at one pound above cruiserweight I will beat him'.

"I find it hard not to believe him. Sometimes, the only way someone like Canelo Alvarez or Vasyl Lomachenko gets beat is when they keep moving up in weight outside of where they should be. That’s maybe how Canelo Alvarez gets beat, (when) it’s a challenge too far."

Alvarez must first overcome Bivol and then his bitter rival Gennady Golovkin with the final instalment of their trilogy pencilled in for September. Usyk's sequel with Joshua is expected to take place on July 23 with Saudi Arabia the frontrunner to play host.

Last September, Usyk outpointed the Brit to become a two-weight world champion and condemn Joshua to his second defeat in four fights. Should he double up against Joshua, Usyk would also have the opportunity to take on Tyson Fury in an undisputed fight, if Fury reneges on his decision to retire.

The Traveller insists his win over Dillian Whyte last month was his final outing as a professional and will hold talks with the WBC in the coming weeks to establish whether he intends to give up the title he won from Deontay Wilder in 2020.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...arezs-26882992

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The six fight plan that could officially make Canelo Alvarez one of the greatest of all time

The aim of every boxer is to be the greatest and Canelo Alvarez is no exception.

The Mexican still feels like he’s got a lot of work to do in order to be regarded as the greatest but has full confidence in himself moving forward.

This weekend he steps into the ring to battle Dmitry Bivol in Las Vegas as he constantly cements his legacy.

Alvarez hasn’t discussed a potential retirement date but he’s built up a resumè consisting of 60 professional fights and will reach the age of 32 this July.

TalkSPORT have recently compiled a list of six potential fights which Canelo could look to tick off which can help him become the all-time great.

The list is based off a strategy Alvarez and many others have used in boxing, choosing opponents whilst attempting to minimise risks and maximise rewards as the Mexican continues to move through weight divisions as the pound-for-pound king.

6. Dmitry Bivol

Lining up with real life, the list of six fights needed for Canelo begins with his next opponent. Bivol is undefeated but it still proves to follow a strategy of picking a weaker champion.

Bivol, while looking explosive in his early career, has won his last six fights by decision which could lead him to be predictable and easy for Canelo to figure out.

5. Gennady Golovkin

These two genuinely dislike each other. Canelo chose to turn down alternate fights to line up the Bivol and Golovkin pathway.

Alvarez only has a few fights that grossed over $100 million, which includes the two against Golovkin and there is still huge public interest in a third fight between the Mexican and his counterpart.

4. Arter Beterbiev

Similar to previous strategies, Arter is a fantastic boxer but could be past his best. He’s undefeated with 17 straight knockout wins and the clear number one at 175lbs but has showed signs of slowing.

He’s suffered from injuries in his career and if he can win against Joe Smith Jr, Canelo could capitalise on Beterbiev’s undisputed title win and may go after the glory in early 2023.

3. Ilunga Makabu

This point stands so long as Makabu is still the weakest cruiserweight holder.

This fight nearly happened late last year when an application was apparently submitted by Canelo’s manager Eddy Reynoso but the boxer himself claimed not to know anything about it.

Makabu has strung many wins together recently but snuck through Thabiso Mchunu by decision meaning he could be vulnerable.

2. Mairis Briedis

This one is less straight forward since Briedis holds an impressive 28-1 record in the cruiserweight division.

Mairis is 39 but has a style that may age well and should Canelo deem it necessary Briedis could find himself being chased by Canelo.

Alvarez could be given the chance to become a four-weight lineal champion which has before been unheard of. It’s the type of victory which goes a long way in the Mexican’s chase for all-time greatness.

1. Oleksandr Usyk

If Canelo really wants to bring his career to new heights, he should look to unpick one of the smaller heavyweight competitors.

There are alternatives and, of course, a heavyweight like Tyson Fury would be well off any possibility due to size but it might not get much bigger than Usyk.

The Ukrainian is one of the best boxers on the planet but due to him being last on the list, this fight would happen quite a way down the line.

By that time there is a chance Usyk, or an alternative smaller heavyweight, slips up or shows signs of ageing it may not take much for Canelo to take that career defining risk.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...6b21f5b49e7b5b

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Combing thru my thick skull I cannot remember a time I've seen a fighter willfully look passed his next opponent with some of the silly shit Canelo and Hearn are spouting. Just a franchise and champ with so much smoke blown up its pant leg they just walk on clouds? The Golovkin is 'light work', the Usyk talk etc. Or head games? Draw Bivol into more of a machismo game early. Bivol will have to come harder than he's shown recently regardless as that in-out pogo fencing won't quite get it done. I'd love to see Bivol look to strike very early, he has the mix of accurate power to keep Canelo on the reset in big gaps ..I think. No draws, no drunk judges, no Laurence Cole and no NC and we're good, let's have a top notch fight!

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm actually quite surprised people arent giving Alvarez a hard time here, especially considering his last run of opponents..bivol is nearly a super middleweight he does have a height advantage and moves well but he's not a big puncher, I'm thinking this is going to be a pretty simple and convincing win for Alvarez. It just seems odd to me that people would savage plant, saunders and Smith as opponents but rate bivol but wotever.. i like both, i rated bivol as the number one light heavyweight in one of baalphas old threads but i changed my mind on him a bit after he looked a bit lightweight. He's still obviously pretty good.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    I'm actually quite surprised people arent giving Alvarez a hard time here, especially considering his last run of opponents..bivol is nearly a super middleweight he does have a height advantage and moves well but he's not a big puncher, I'm thinking this is going to be a pretty simple and convincing win for Alvarez. It just seems odd to me that people would savage plant, saunders and Smith as opponents but rate bivol but wotever.. i like both, i rated bivol as the number one light heavyweight in one of baalphas old threads but i changed my mind on him a bit after he looked a bit lightweight. He's still obviously pretty good.
    Bivol had a quick run there that I don't think any of those guys can claim really. Plant for all the over slicked backfoot he came with was not on Bivols level. Talented for sure, but he was holding that for Canelo I hate to say. And until Bivol comes in off of a coked up fatty bender and being handed a trinket vs a guy named Shefat he's just not the same as Saunders . Holding a clear cut win over a now current 175 champ in Smith Jr has to mean something I suppose. It's a solid fight, all credit to Canelo if he dusts him off impressively which I do suspect via the body work accumulation late. But Bivol is imo his best complete test since 160lb days.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well yeah saunders had some crap performances and is a total git but someone like fury does the same stuff as he saunders and looks a bit crap v lesser opponents and then people are ranking him in the top ten heavyweights of all time :S sure saunders has had some crap fights but he's pretty good when he's on form and he was when it mattered, until a Mexican broke his face ...

Is beating joe Smit Jr really that impressive, bivol was also holding himself up on the ropes and the end of a round near the end, that could have been over with a few more seconds .

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am hoping that Bivol wins so intend to stay up to watch this fight.

Last time I did that for a Canelo fight was against Smith who I really thought would win. Hope I am not wrong again.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Well yeah saunders had some crap performances and is a total git but someone like fury does the same stuff as he saunders and looks a bit crap v lesser opponents and then people are ranking him in the top ten heavyweights of all time :S sure saunders has had some crap fights but he's pretty good when he's on form and he was when it mattered, until a Mexican broke his face ...

Is beating joe Smit Jr really that impressive, bivol was also holding himself up on the ropes and the end of a round near the end, that could have been over with a few more seconds .
    Ok, we can discuss the merits of each opponent and their weight class etc. But the common denominator is Canelo. So a simple question. Would Bivol beat the Billy Joe Saunders that went in the ring with Canelo? Forget about weights because Canelo is the one fighting both of them.
    I say the Saunders that fought Canelo, because that probably isn’t “Prime” Saunders, and was more of a money grab.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Thread Information