Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Dmitry Bivol - 7th May 2022

What was the last bubble bursting under a top "goat" similar to what we just watched? Roy v Tarver maybe who knows. Odd category of massive upset really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those scorecards are dubious, it was a clear win for Bivol. Now that Canelo has had his ego checked, we might get the GGG 3rd fight?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bivol was the bigger and skilled fighter. Canelo was slow, loading up his shots and got tired chasing Bivol.

I thought it was insane what Canelo was doing going up in weight but I have to give him respect for trying.

The judges all had the same scoring they had Saul winning the first 4 rounds, Bivol the next 4 and Canelo round 9 with Bivol winning the last 3. So Canelo was winning after 9 rounds and Bivol had to win the last 3 rounds which is wrong.

Bivol should take on Beterbiev but will go for the rematch.

Canelo should drop down to super middleweight and allow Triple G to beat him too.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don’t forget Canelo and his team were seriously mentioning Usyk’s name at one point ……
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see this as an upset. This is more on the lines of bullshit casuals getting mixed up in serious discussions, sorta like Hopkins v Trinidad. I mean, it was just common sense that Hopkins would beat and stop Trinidad. lol....
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Upsets are good for boxing.

Without them boxing becomes boring and predictable and loses ratings and fans. To me this would only be a minor upset at the same level as when Fury beat Wlad.

I guess Eddie Reynoso's fan boys must be on suicide watch. Two of his biggest charges Oscar Valdez and Canelo getting beat in a week.

Everyone is piling on Canelo at the moment.

Look - He'd still be strongly fancied to beat anyone at SMW or MW. Yes - He can’t handle the real pitbulls at 175 but he took a risk. He pushed it too far. He dared to be great, he came up short and that should be applauded. The talk about beating Usyk now looks a little silly.

Of course the immediate talk of the rematch comes up.

Canelo has no chance of beatin Bivol........... ever.

He can't outbox him. Bivol is faster, has more stamina (and that’s not fixable for Canelo in this matchup as the gap is quite big) and has better legwork (again not fixable for Canelo as it has always been his weakness) and Canelo can’t hurt Bivol and in a second fight Bivol would be more aggressive.

Canelo's 'chop-down-the-tree' plodding style was a good way to approach most fights, but as he climbed the divisions there would always be a limit to the effectiveness of this style.

Against Bivol he was the slower man, the weaker man, and actually looked like the less powerful man. Bivol had an answer for everything.

And they have to think carefully because if Bivol beats Canelo again ? Then the Canelo brand and product is seriously damaged. He wont be able to get those $30m paydays anymore.

We're not talking about Conor Mcgregor's brain dead, drunk hillbilly fans here. With Canelo we are talking about pure image, brand and a monetised fanbase built totally on nationality and patriotism

Bivol needs to face the Beterbiev-Smith winner and Canelo needs to stay at 168. And we have to talk about the judges. All three judges gave Canelo the first four rounds. So that meant Bivol had to win 7 out of the remaining 8 rounds to win the fight.

So they pretty much did their best to give it Canelo again but kinda stumbled on the correct decision.
    Last edited by Denilson3.0; 05-08-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Told Y’all!!
    The problem is , and it’s not just a boxing problem, it’s almost any sport I can think of, but the media and “experts” want us to believe that today’s stars are the best ever , because they need the casual fans to fork out to feed this gold plated gravy train.
    If people in the sport were honest and said “yeah, Canelo and Fury are good, but the standard nowadays makes them look better than they are.” It’s not gonna sell.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Don’t forget Canelo and his team were seriously mentioning Usyk’s name at one point ……

Somewhere....... Usyk's breathing a sigh of relief.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I hear "daring to be great" again I'm going to need some Listerine. Seems like the default line this AM. Doesn't every fighter moving up to face a respected champion "dare to be great". Except of course it's their first time moving up, they had not won a title there already and usually they're not the massive favorite . Said it before the fight..sure appeared like Canelo was looking right passed and disregarding Bivol. Like he was simply a formality. Now the physical almost lethargic shape he came in? Can't quite figure that. I do believe the division yo-yo jumping has caught up to him and we can forget about any return below 168 right off.

What's really missing though...congrats to Bivol. Fought a helluva fight and took control right away. Night of his life. The judges were out to screw him over, every single round scored identical .

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    If I hear "daring to be great" again I'm going to need some Listerine. Seems like the default line this AM. Doesn't every fighter moving up to face a respected champion "dare to be great". Except of course it's their first time moving up, they had not won a title there already and usually they're not the massive favorite . Said it before the fight..sure appeared like Canelo was looking right passed and disregarding Bivol. Like he was simply a formality. Now the physical almost lethargic shape he came in? Can't quite figure that. I do believe the division yo-yo jumping has caught up to him and we can forget about any return below 168 right off.

What's really missing though...congrats to Bivol. Fought a helluva fight and took control right away. Night of his life. The judges were out to screw him over, every single round scored identical .

Congrats to Bivol is right!

He not only defeated Canelo. He did it in such a dominant fashion, he even made it nearly impossible for the corrupt/bought judges to take it away from him.

I was wrong. I thought NO WAY Bivol or anyone else wins a decision against Canelo in "Canelo City." Bivol thankfully proved me wrong.

Still... the final scores show just how close they came to pulling off yet another robbery.

Congrats to Bivol!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this fight looked a lot like renaldo snipes vs eddie mustafa muhammad.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Tyson believes Canelo Alvarez’s failure to use the jab was a major factor behind his defeat to Dmitry Bivol on Saturday evening.

Canelo suffered the second defeat of his professional career in Las Vegas as Bivol retained his WBA light heavyweight title by producing a brilliant display to win 115-113 on all three of scorecards.

The Mexican, who has won world titles in four different weight classes, stepped up to light heavyweight for only the second time in his career but Bivol’s power and speed advantage made a significant difference.

However, Tyson feels Canelo would have fared better against the 31-year-old Russian if he used his jab more often.

And the former world heavyweight champion, who attended the fight with his wife believes Canelo could even beat Bivol in a rematch if he changed his approach.

‘I just think if Canelo was using his jab effectively, hard, the guy [Bivol] wouldn’t have been able to come in,’ Tyson said.

‘The guy was coming in because he wasn’t worried about Canelo’s jab. So he got more aggressive, he got brave.

‘If he’s not jabbing, he has no defence. If he’s not gonna jab, the guy’s gonna walk right in on him like he did.

‘Next fight – use your jab, different fight.

‘When he [Bivol] was jabbing, Canelo should have been moving, slipping the jab, anticipating the combination. If he was slipping the jab, the guy wouldn’t throw the combination.

‘If Canelo would’ve used his jab, I was discussing with my wife [saying], ‘he’s not using his jab’, then the next round I saw him using his jab so his corner must’ve been telling him the same thing. I believe if he used his jab it would’ve been a different fight.’

Canelo, meanwhile, admitted he would have adopted a more aggressive approach against Bivol if he knew he was behind on the scorecards.

‘Yes, we want the rematch and we want to do much better in the rematch,’ Canelo said after his defeat.

‘I feel that often judges score things that perhaps they shouldn’t, for example I was blocking shots and I was rolling punches, and I think sometimes that’s where the mistake may have been made.’

Asked if he thought he was ever behind on the scorecards during the fight, Canelo replied: ‘No.’

And when asked if he would’ve thought differently had he known he was behind, Canelo said: ‘More aggressively, I think.’

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...89095ceba14836

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Where was the body work from Canelo?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    Where was the body work from Canelo?
    He was loading up with single big shots but really he was out of his depth.

Size does matter.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dmitry Bivol suggests dropping down to super-middleweight for a four-belt rematch with Canelo Alvarez

WBO light-heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol says he is willing to drop down a division for his rematch with Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez.

The undefeated Russian sent shockwaves through the boxing world on Saturday night when he easily outpointed the biggest star in the sport.

All three ringside judges scored the fight 115-113 to Bivol after 12 rounds but most observers had the defending champion winning by a much wider margin.

In the immediate aftermath of his first defeat since 2013, Canelo announced his intention to rematch Bivol, scuppering plans for an eagerly anticipated trilogy fight with his biggest rival Gennady Golovkin.

Bivol believes size was not really an issue in his fight with Canelo but says he is willing to drop down to super-middleweight in order to challenge the Mexican who currently holds all four major titles at 168lbs.

“His natural size is for less weight, and mine too. Maybe next fight for four belts in his division,” Bivol told Behind The Gloves.

His trainer Joel Diaz backed his fighter to perform even better in a potential Canelo rematch, especially if it takes place in the light-heavyweight division.

“In the rematch, Dmitry Bivol will do more damage on Canelo because there’s a lot of combination punches that he didn’t do that he could’ve done,” Diaz said in a separate interview with Behind The Gloves.

He believes the size difference was a huge factor in the fight, as Canelo’s power proved to be ineffective against Bivol at 175lbs.

“The size difference is a big factor,” he added.

“Canelo is a heavy puncher, he hurts, he’s a great fighter but in his division. Moving up to 175 it’s a bigger division, he (Bivol) is a bigger man. In the light-heavyweight division, they’re bigger, they can take more punishment.

“I think in the next one, it’ll be much easier for Dmitry Bivol to beat Canelo because he’s already felt his punch – his hardest punch.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...ez-next-fight/

Thread Information