Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is next for Kell Brook?

What a good fighter Kell Brook was. Big at the weight, awkward, strong, good punch, heart and absolutely superb timing. Lovely smooth style too. A pretty damn glorious career and he only lost (gamely) to the very very best.

He was avoided for years and his career started to stagnate as he was from that slippery Sheffield style that it's so hard to look good against. he didn't go to the Olympics, nor was he a hyped amateur - he did it all the hard way. Kell was absolutely the real thing in the ring.

Funnily enough, he reminds me a bit of Junior Witter (except much better). Witter was a strong, awkward Yorkshire fighter who never got the hype or build up that Ricky Hatton did. No disrespect to Ricky, but I always thought that Witter was stylistically all wrong for him. Retrospect tells us that Ricky may have thought so too.

Khan was the golden boy in terms of the media and the hype he got, but IMO Brook would have defeated any version of Amir at any point of their careers.

Great career champ, hope you have a long and happy retirement. One of our very best welterweights.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Brook would have carried on if he could agree the money and weight against Benn or Eubank.

I am glad he did retire because Benn is young and hungry whilst Eubank big for him which would have led to an unnecessary loss.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brook is the kind of fighter you discover late and wish you saw more of coming up. Remember him Stateside first time and then he disappeared. I honestly loved watching him dissect Porter, didn't think it was that close. Great boxer all around hope he enjoys a well-earned sunset on the sport.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kell Brook was basically ‘pricing himself out of the job’ after beating Amir Khan, according to his trainer Dominic Ingle.

The recently-retired Brook expressed his interest in facing Chris Eubank Jr having smashed bitter rival Khan to bits in February.

Despite a public back-and-forth over the past few months, a fight between the pair never came to fruition – although Eubank Jr claimed that such a clash would no doubt have to take place at a catchweight.

And according to Ingle, the reason for that was because Brook was asking for £10 million before his retirement from boxing last weekend.

Ingle told Boxing King Media: “That’s the kind of money Kell would probably want just to consider it.

“Because he was kind of pricing himself out of the job, really.

“‘Well, so if you really want me to do it, give me that kind of money.’

“I’m not particularly bothered.

“It’s kind of throwing out there just to put people off, well, that’s a ridiculous amount we’re not going to bother with that fight.

“I think that’s why Kell did it, really.”

Ingle also insisted that Brook can walk away from the sport with his head held high following his win over Khan.

He continued: “I think when he got back to normal life, spent time around his kids, looked at his family, his house, and everything and thought, ‘What do I need this for? I enjoy myself now. I’m 36.’

“Like I said, he’s going out on a high. Enjoy your life. It is a bit of an adjustment.

“Of course it is. It’s an adjustment for everybody. It’s an adjustment for him, for the team around him, his nutritionist, me, the kids in the gym.

“But we look back on that night with great fondness because it was a tremendous night.

“It was even a tremendous night for Khan really even though he got beat.

“He made plenty of money, he got a good response, and he played the part. He turned up. He gave the fight fans the fight that they wanted.

“It wasn’t the right decision for him – he didn’t win – but he still got credibility, I don’t care what people think. He had a great career himself.

“The main thing is it’s no good looking at the shiny belts on the mantelpiece. Boxing is about putting money in the bank and finishing with all your faculties. I think Khan has just about managed to do that.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...9d0767f5dc854b

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wish Eubank would just fucking shut up sometimes. He calls everyone out constantly, and has most of his father’s arrogance without much of his talent.

Brook has had the type of career, success, fame and money that Eubank Jnr can only dream about after his limitations have been exposed a few times
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brooks power jab or secondary jab if you like has been one of my favourite punches in boxing. I've never seen someone so consistently hurt or drop people with a jab. Fantastic weapon. When on song he was strong, powerful, great timing. A joy to watch. Taking the rose tinted glasses off for a second, he ought to have got more from his career. He won his World title properly, climbed his own personal Everest in beating Khan and he gets to walk off into the sunset with a good few quid in the bank and his head held high, there are plenty of positives. But the word from the Wincobank was this kids better than Naz, he's the one. Too many nothing fights. Too many issues with weight, poor promotion/management at times. Getting stabbed didn't help

Hopefully he stays retired. There's no more glory to be had from boxing. He might make a few more quid if he wanted it but the price would be a hiding from dumb or dumber. It just isn't worth it.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris Eubank Jr has urged Kell Brook to reverse his retirement so that the pair can fight one another this summer.

Brook, a former welterweight champion, hung up his gloves this month, having last fought in February when he stopped old rival Amir Khan.

Eubank Jr, however, has called out Brook for another all-British clash, believing that “Special K”’s win against Khan proved that the 35-year-old can still compete at a high level.

“Kell Brook still has gas in the tank and the ability to fight well and make money, so I cannot understand why he would not have one more fight, payday and shot at greatness,” Eubank Jr told The Sun.

“Kell can still come out of retirement, he has only been gone a few days, he can get his a** back in the gym and have a change of heart.

“I don’t know how much he has made in his career, but he doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed, so the few million he made won’t last more than 10-15 years. You want to make as much money as you can, while you can, because there is no other way to make money.

“Come out of retirement and let’s get this fight on in the summer, give the fans what they want, and he can sail off back into the sunset with a few more million.”

Eubank Jr last fought in February, outpointing Wales’ Liam Williams in Cardiff.

That result extended the 32-year-old’s win streak to six and improved his professional record to 32-2 (23 knockouts).

Eubank Jr has also expressed his desire to take on unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, who was due for a trilogy bout against Saul “Canelo Alvarez” this year.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...105ee900b4e75b

Thread Information