Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Star Wars Question - those with kids

So those with kids - what order have you brought them up to watch Star Wars in ??

I have no kids but my nephew, now 22, I made sure he watched them in the order as made - 4,5,6 then 1,2,3 - before he obviously saw the new films as released.

Now with the Disney channel we of course have a new angle.

Nephew on my Mrs side of family has just gone 13. He is well into star wars stuff buying all the lego models, a light saber, jedi cloak etc and talked about the Mandolorian and Boba Fett.......yet he hadn't up to this past weekend seen one Star Wars series or film. His dad not a fan of the originals.

Now maybe I'm being a nerd but I'm baffled by this and give him grief about it - know what you're building, know the history etc of the characters.

He got the Disney channel for his birthday last weekend and went in, as he should, to watch Star Wars then Empire.....but then as he couldn't wait to watch the Mandolorian he gave up on the movies and went into the Mandolorian and will no doubt do Boba Fett next.

Yes it will make sense, yes it will be entertaining but for me a lot will be lost and some stuff won't have the impact it should.

Thoughts ??
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Star Wars Question - those with kids

I really enjoyed The Mandalorian - but Boba Fett not so much I'm afraid
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Same with the nephews Mark. First complaint I got was crumpled faces back then and 'but they're old'. Actually threw me for a loop as timeline and development in film is key. The literal foundation to what you're enjoying now . In fairness it may be a lot like the fight game and say a young new fan just getting into heavyweights for example. We all know boxing started in the 90's after all . How many young fans are going to start with the old timey black and white classics for proper historical context before they jump into names and big events of today. And on the flip side I absorbed everything Star Wars, Empire and Jedi as a kid. But as an adult once I had to sit through Jar Jar I wanted out .

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So as I predicted he did new Hope then empire but then went straight to mandolorian watched both series and then finished boba fest in a day. Doubt he’ll go back to the films at all now.

He’ll have had no idea who Jabba was,how he died,why boba fett was in the sarlaac pit etc or even his origins as jango fetts son.

Yes the originals are old but they’ve been remastered etc and surely don’t look bad. Not like in our day when our older options were black and white….

He’s an idiot. The end

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My eldest is really into Star Wars and explains it to me. He watched them in order 1,2,3 which got him interested in the franchise. He then watched the originals and 5 is his favourite as he liked the dark Luke who was being trained by Yoda.

Kids hate 7,8,9 and will never watch them again although I did not mind them but really did not make sense.

We have watched the animation which are very good Clone Wars, Bad Batch and Rebels.

The Mandalorian was good, have not watched Boba Fett or Obi-Wan Kenobi yet but will do.

Rogue One was OK.

I still prefer Star Trek but they refuse to watch any of it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So when they got to episode 4 did they not wonder why the light sabre fights were so pathetic and they fought like geriatrics ??

I watched 7,8 and 9 at the cinema. Would not watch again.

Same for 1,2 and3 though I do like the end of 3 and how it connects the story to where we all started.

Rogue One fine as a stand alone, Solo shite and I will not be doing any animated ones.

But back to my original point those starting with mandolorian and boba fett....wrong !

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They kids understood Empire is an old film and the special effects are dated but the story is iconic.

I forgot about Solo but not planning on watching it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information