Thread: Who is next for Anthony Joshua?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is next for Anthony Joshua?

Australian heavyweight Demsey McKean confirmed talks have taken place to be Anthony Joshua's next opponent, insisting he can "retire" the Briton.

"We are one of the frontrunners for a possible opponent for Anthony Joshua," he told Sky Sports.

"I could be (the man to retire Joshua) and I am very confident I can do that. But don't get me wrong, there is still more fights for AJ. If he loses to me, a top-10 heavyweight as well, that shouldn't be the end.

"People probably don't give him the credit he deserves, what he has done for the heavyweight game. He has brought a lot of eyes and money into the heavyweight division.

"He is probably the biggest name in boxing, everyone is after him, including me. It is the name to have on your resume. There are still fights to be made and people are still going to pay to watch those fights. But three losses in a row, does he need to keep doing this, he is well set up now?

"He probably still has his doubts, he still doubts himself a lot, I know that. But who wouldn't when they are at the top, in the limelight and cop a lot of criticism. There are a lot of factors but I have the skills to do that (retire him) for sure."

"I feel confident if that fight goes through," he said. "The only doubt I have is that he doesn't want to fight a southpaw.

"It would be a shame. I have been on the brink of some very big fights myself. I have come close to fighting Dillian Whyte as well. I think it is sad that some of the elite boxers in the world pick and choose who they fight. We would not have had this back in the old days.

"Even with Tyson Fury a few years ago, when his fight fell through with Deontay Wilder and he was looking for a last-minute replacement. And again it came down to not wanting to fight a southpaw.

"The world has gone mad, and all these so-called champion boxers don't want to fight a southpaw. Let's hope he (Joshua mans up) and fights this time.

"I have been sparing with him for years, I have been in his camp twice. He knows it is going to be a hard fight, by the rounds I give these guys.

"He is a smooth operator, there aren't too many who move like him. His size is an advantage and disadvantage for him."

Commenting on a potential fight between Joshua and McKean, the Australian's promoter, Angelo Di Carlo, told Sky Sports: "We are in discussion with our promotional partner Eddie Hearn regarding Demsey's next fight.

"We have made it clear that we are ready for the big fights and are more than willing to take on AJ in Australia or England.

"Demsey is now No 10 in the WBO and No 11 in the IBF. So whether it's AJ or another, he is well positioned for a big fight in 2023."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...4dcf734993f0aa
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i thnk derrick will have a say on who aj fights next & i doubt it's demsey. i think they might go with otto wallin
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

demsey & wallin will both be somewhat easy for aj

why doesnt he fight ortiz

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    rumor is derrick james will be aj's new trainer
    That is a good choice. Derrick James is an excellent trainer and a quality individual.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    rumor is derrick james will be aj's new trainer
    That is a good choice. Derrick James is an excellent trainer and a quality individual.
    derrick will improve aj's mentality, hopefully get him comfortable with getting hit
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wallin's promoter Dmitry Salita maintains that Joshua must come back against a credible opponent.

"We will see how serious Joshua is about returning to an elite heavyweight level by the level of the opponent he selects. He can beat the likes of McKean in an impressive fashion training by himself," Salita told Sky Sports.

"So a fight with such an opponent will not prove anything as an elite boxer and will not be able to see actual improvements from a new trainer.

"Joshua has been associated with lots of big names. Is it real? I don't know. Not if he fights a no-name with a glossy record."

"After Wilder lost to Fury he fought a bone fide, world-rated, legitimate top 10 heavyweight. And is now in play to fight the best, based on his improvement with his new trainer Malik Scott. I have a lot of respect for the work that Malik did with Wilder and he was confident to take on a serious fighter after that brutal loss," Salita said.

Wallin is available to box Joshua in his comeback bout.

"Otto is willing and ready to come to the UK on April 1 to fight Anthony Joshua. That would be a massive fight!" his promoter declared.

"Otto is interested in fighting Joshua and that is the fight that seems to make sense especially if Fury fights Usyk in March. Otto believes he will beat Joshua and with that deserve the Fury rematch.

"Even if it's not Otto, the level of opponent will tell us where Joshua is at now," Salita concluded.

"Joshua is a very accomplished fighter and was one of the best heavyweights of this generation. As a fan if he's still got it, I would love to see him fight the big fights."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...a36d7a4b27a95c

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Joshua set to fight Jermaine Franklin on April 1 in comeback bout

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21043...leksandr-usyk/

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

lol..retire
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good thing no one brought this scenario up prior. Maybe I'm nuts, I like the style mash up. And the fact a guy who came in from the side door is getting another massive shot.

But it does say April 1st so maybe it's just a big head fake.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Good thing no one brought this scenario up prior. Maybe I'm nuts, I like the style mash up. And the fact a guy who came in from the side door is getting another massive shot.

April fool's I agree, Franklin has never faced a true world-level opponent since turning professional. However, he does possess impressive hand speed, mobility, and punching power, which are attributes that have given Whyte trouble in the past.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post

April fool's I agree, Franklin has never faced a true world-level opponent since turning professional. However, he does possess impressive hand speed, mobility, and punching power, which are attributes that have given Whyte trouble in the past.
    Main thing I was thinking earlier was the familiarity, 'opponent of my previous/possible future' opponent. It helps to move matches a bit.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Main thing I was thinking earlier was the familiarity, 'opponent of my previous/possible future' opponent. It helps to move matches a bit.
    Yep. I always forget about that part of it. How to move matches. You have a much better business sense than I do

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep. I always forget about that part of it. How to move matches. You have a much better business sense than I do
    tell that to my accountant or collections ffs

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sounds like it's jermaine franklin on april first

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sounds like it's jermaine franklin on april first
    Nah its Jermaine Taylor. AJ couldnt even get past him.

Thread Information