Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joshua Buatsi v Craig Richards 21/5/22

Light-heavyweight rivals Buatsi and Richards WILL meet in May

Joshua Buatsi will face former world title challenger Craig Richards in a mouth-watering all-London light-heavyweight clash on Saturday May 21.

Croydon’s Buatsi will head into the fight having recently claimed his 10th knockout in a row when he overcame Ricards Bolotniks in the eleventh round of their WBA Light-Heavyweight World Title Eliminator on the third and final week of Matchroom Fight Camp in August.

While Richards will head into the highly-anticipated bout after going to distance against Dmitry Bivol in his first world title attempt in May 2021 before beating Marek Matyja in six rounds to earn the vacant WBA International light-heavyweight Title.

Speaking after the fight was confirmed, Buatsi told DAZN: 'The light-heavyweight scene in this country is thriving and I'm glad that we are able to get one of the biggest fights made. The crowd are going to be in for a treat.

'I am coming to win and nothing else, I am sure Richards is doing the same. He had a close fight with Bivol so will want to make things straight, but I have other plans. Win well and then push onto the world title by any means necessary.'

While, Richards said: 'We're two top tier fighters from the UK. This is one of the biggest domestic clashes for a long time.

'This is a very exciting fight for us both, but also one the fans will enjoy. Buatsi has got his plans and I'm sure he be well prepared, but nobody is going to stop me from fulfilling my destiny of becoming a world champion!

'He is a solid competitor and will be coming to win, but I am confident and believe I have the tools to get the job done. I proved myself at world level and I'm eager to prove that's where I belong.'

Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn shared his thoughts on the fight, claiming it is 'exactly the kind of bout' that thee sport should be looking to arrange.

He said: 'A big well done and thank you to Joshua and Craig for taking this fight, it's exactly the kind of fight boxing should be making.

'Two domestic light-heavyweights on the verge of a world title shot decide to put it on the line rather than wait in a queue, giving us a fantastic battle that can only be a thriller. We look forward to a huge night.'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joshua Buatsi v Craig Richards 21/5/22

Canelo Alvarez could make UK debut in December against winner of Joshua Buatsi vs Craig Richards, reveals Eddie Hearn

CANELO ALVAREZ could make his UK debut in December against either Joshua Buatsi or Craig Richards, revealed Eddie Hearn.

The Mexican superstar returns on May 7 in Las Vegas, challenging WBA light-heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol, 31.

Canelo, 31, is then lined up for a trilogy bout against Gennady Golovkin, 39, in September, if they both win their next fights.

But he is already eyeing a third bout in December which could take place in England or Mexico.

The winner between British pair Buatsi, 29, and Richards, 31, who fight on May 21, or WBA mandatory John Ryder, 33, could welcome Canelo to Britain.

Promoter Hearn told talkSPORT: “Canelo Alvarez and Eddy Reynoso both want to fight in December.

"They’ve asked me to look at options for Guadalajara and London.

“You’ve got John Ryder, who is mandatory at 168lbs and you’ve got the winner of this fight.

“Both guys are great options and great opponents for Canelo Alvarez in December."

The winner of Butasi and Richards will put themselves in line to potentially become mandatory for the belt Canelo challenges for next.

Buatsi said: "I think that definitely makes this a big fight for me.

"It makes it even more important, I know what's at stake, I know what the reward is, and that's why I said when I was in Arizona.

"I'll fight these guys as long as I know that this is what's next. And you've just said this may lead to the world title fight next.

"So for me, I'm easy, no matter who it is, I'm prepared."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18039...s-eddie-hearn/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joshua Buatsi vs Craig Richards (12 rounds - light-heavyweight)
    Alen Babic vs. Adam Balski (12 rounds - heavyweight)
    Chantelle Cameron vs Victoria Bustos (10 rounds - super-lightweight)
    Robbie Davies Jr. vs Javier Molina (10 rounds - super-lightweight)
    Ellie Scotney vs Maria Cecilia Roman (10 rounds - super-bantamweight)
    John Hedges vs TBA (6 rounds - light heavyweight)
    Cheavon Clarke vs TBA (6 rounds - cruiserweight)
    Shiloh Defreitas vs TBA (6 rounds - super-lightweight)

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The two Brits are set to battle it out in London this Saturday in a good old domestic dust-up.

And they have both clearly been putting in the hard work in the gym to help to get themselves in the best shape they possibly can for this career-defining fight.

Matchroom Boxing’s official Twitter account showed off their incredibly ripped physiques, sharing the images to their some 500,000 followers.

They captioned the post “READY” followed by a fire emoji and the hashtag #BuatsiRichards.

Buatsi, 29, has not fought since he battered Richard Bolotniks into an 11th-round stoppage in Hearn’s back garden last summer.

Richards meanwhile has won 17 out of his 20 fights – losing two and drawing one.

Buatsi has 13 knockouts on his record compared to Richards’ 10, with both men boxing out of an orthodox stance.

But the Ghanaian-born boxer has the slender advantage when it comes to height and reach.

Buatsi stands at 6 ft 2 in, just an inch taller than opponent Richards, and also boasts a slightly longer reach by an inch and a half.

Either way, it’s almost certainly going to be a cracker, with promoter Eddie Hearn barely able to contain his excitement.

Speaking at a press conference to promote the fight, he said: “Joshua Buatsi, Olympic bronze medallist against Craig Richards, a man who’s won British titles, challenged for the world title as well.

“This is a kind of fight that gets me excited, this is the kind of fight that seems so obvious.

“Two brilliant domestic fighters but also two world class fighters as well.

“A world title challenger in Craig Richards and a man that many believe is destined for greatness at 175lbs.

“I want to thank to teams of both fighters; you need to understand these guys know each other.

“One from Croydon and one from Crystal Palace, a stone’s throw from each other and they’ve known each other for many years.

“Sometimes in boxing they don’t want to make these fights, trainers, managers, advisors, fighters – ‘we’ll wait for our world title shot’.

“You need to stop waiting, fighters out there that are queuing up for a world title shot that is not imminent, don’t stall your career when you could be involved in brilliant fights, fights that could take your career to another level.

“That’s what we’ve got May 21 in London.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...a95659f044607c

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Craig Richards has admitted he wasn’t surprised that Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez lost to Dmitry Bivol earlier this month as he allowed himself to get ‘frustrated’.

Canelo Alvarez and his great rival Gennady Golovkin were on a collision course to meet in a blockbuster trilogy fight in September.

But it will now most likely be a second meeting between Canelo and the unbeaten Russian after Bivol beat the Mexican superstar on May 7 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Canelo, who had previously only lost to Floyd Mayweather prior to that, amazingly withstood Bivol’s power despite physically being the much smaller man in the ring.

But Russian Bivol was just too strong for challenger Canelo and retained his WBA light heavyweight title via unanimous points decision.

The judges scored the fight 115–113 115–113 115–113.

Yet Richards, who was outpointed by Bivol in his first title defence last May, insisted that he saw it coming.

He told BoxingScene.com: “I said the day before he [Bivol]’s got very fast feet, very fast hands and very good defence and I said if it goes to points I’d expect Bivol to get the nod.

“Though, being in Vegas and Cinco de Mayo, if it does go to points it depends if the judges give it to him.

“Because Bivol’s hands are rapid and his defence is very tight and he’s got very good feet.

“His [Canelo’s] feet weren’t quick enough, he was loading up shots, Bivol was throwing combinations and when he was trying to land and couldn’t get through the defence, he just got frustrated and to the point that he got disheartened.

“When we cross paths again, it’s not personal, I have to beat him, but first and foremost let’s just focus on May 21st.

“I neutralized him because I’ve got good feet and a good jab as well.

“So I neutralized a lot of his best assets and I think that’s why people were like, ‘Oh, he’s not that good’ and not that I took away a lot of his assets.

“Canelo is good at closing the ring down but he hasn’t got fast feet and that’s what I thought he might struggle with, the fast feet and the combination punching.”

Richards, nicknamed ‘The Spider’, returns to the ring against ‘Just Business’ Joshua Buatsi in an all-British light heavyweight bout.

The 32-year-old won the British title after defeating Shakan Pitters in December 2020 before losing to Bivol in his next fight a few months later.

Richards, 32, who has been training in Essex with friends Conor Benn and Joe Cordina, added: “My stock won’t stay there if I don’t beat Josh on May 21st, so I’ve got to make sure next week I get the job done to make sure my stock rises even more.

“I know I can swim in the deep waters, but I’m never overconfident in boxing.

“Boxing is the sort of situation where you’ve got to learn all the time.

“I’m doing that and I’m a student of the game and I think that’s why I get better, I’m never complacent.

“Sometimes my trainer says to me I just need to relax because I’m a perfectionist and I want to get things right all the time but I think that’s what brings me on all the time. I’m never overconfident.

“I always know I’ve got things to learn and I think that’s why I’m always going to progress until the day I hang my gloves up.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...d5d3032157b542

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joshua Buatsi says he is "ready for a world-title shot", but the light-heavyweight must first overcome Craig Richards in London on Saturday.

Buatsi, who won Olympic bronze in 2016, faces former world-title challenger Richards in one of the biggest British dust-ups of the year at the O2 Arena.

"It's my most important fight to date," unbeaten Buatsi, 29, says.

"Why? Because it's the next one and every fight I want to keep on progressing and winning."

In a division packed with talent, Dmitry Bivol - who beat Richards on points last year - holds the WBA title, while WBC and IBF champion Artur Beterbiev will face WBO champion Joe Smith Jr next month.

"It's just a matter of being ready. I've made it clear to these guys I'm ready," Buatsi adds.

Richards, meanwhile, harbours his own world-title ambitions. "I'm not here to spoil the party, I'm here to fulfil my own dreams and keep moving forward in my career," the 32-year-old says.

After a stellar amateur career, Buatsi signed with Matchroom Boxing in 2017.

Injuries and the pandemic resulted in relative inactivity, as he fought just once in 2020 and twice last year, but the Ghana-born Londoner is content with where he is at in his career.

"When I look at the crop of the 2016 Olympic light-heavyweights, I've got the highest rankings," he says.

'Personal responsibility is important' - Buatsi sets out 2022 to-do list

"I want to sit here and say I've got a world title next to me but I'm also in the position where I'm getting closer to that.

"I'm here undefeated: good position, good ranking and improving fighter. I'll take that."

Richards says his own boxing journey, without the fanfare and hype of that given to the Olympian, has meant he has had to "earn it the hard way" - and he is relishing the underdog status.

"Buatsi had a good career as an amateur, he won a lot and medalled in the Olympics," he says.

"Of course when they do that, they're tipped for big things, so the promoters invest in them and map them out good and get the rewards for them.

"It's probably the fifth time the bookies have me as an underdog. I just have to shut them up again; let my friends and family win a lot of money."

Richards proved his world-level credentials in May 2021 during a close points loss to Bivol - a feat which became more impressive following the Russian's win over pound-for-pound star Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez earlier this month.

"When I boxed him in a close fight, they said that it's not that Craig must be good, but that Bivol must not be good as we thought it was," Richards says.

"But once Bivol beat the pound-for-pound king Canelo, they're like, well, Craig must be good then."

Buatsi, however, says he is "not reading too much" into that performance.

"It's different styles and different opponents," he says. "I'm not one to sit here and start singing praises because he went the distance with Bivol."

With Beterbiev and Smith Jr contesting a unification bout and Bivol potentially re-matching against Alvarez next, the winner of Richards-Buatsi may have to wait a little longer for a world-title shot.

There are plenty of options domestically, though, with Callum Johnson, Callum Smith, Anthony Yarde all ranked highly with the governing bodies.

Buatsi is aiming to to prove his worth as the best in Britain, in addition to tackling global domination.

"All the other guys would put themselves as number one but the only way we would ever know is if we were to fight each other or if somebody got a world title and then singled themselves out," he says.

A fight with fellow Londoner Yarde has been mooted over the past few years, and Buatsi is hoping that happens sooner rather than later.

"We shouldn't be like 40 and saying we should have fought each other when we had the chance," he says. "It would be a missed opportunity. Hopefully we can make it happen."

Richards says he has already proven his worth against top-level British light-heavyweights, however, referencing his stoppage victories over Jake Ball and Shakan Pitters.

"I've had the domestic fights - it's not new to me," he says. "I was the only one mixing it up when nobody else was. I'm at world level now and have to prove it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/61464228

Thread Information