Light-heavyweight rivals Buatsi and Richards WILL meet in May

Joshua Buatsi will face former world title challenger Craig Richards in a mouth-watering all-London light-heavyweight clash on Saturday May 21.

Croydon’s Buatsi will head into the fight having recently claimed his 10th knockout in a row when he overcame Ricards Bolotniks in the eleventh round of their WBA Light-Heavyweight World Title Eliminator on the third and final week of Matchroom Fight Camp in August.

While Richards will head into the highly-anticipated bout after going to distance against Dmitry Bivol in his first world title attempt in May 2021 before beating Marek Matyja in six rounds to earn the vacant WBA International light-heavyweight Title.

Speaking after the fight was confirmed, Buatsi told DAZN: 'The light-heavyweight scene in this country is thriving and I'm glad that we are able to get one of the biggest fights made. The crowd are going to be in for a treat.

'I am coming to win and nothing else, I am sure Richards is doing the same. He had a close fight with Bivol so will want to make things straight, but I have other plans. Win well and then push onto the world title by any means necessary.'

While, Richards said: 'We're two top tier fighters from the UK. This is one of the biggest domestic clashes for a long time.

'This is a very exciting fight for us both, but also one the fans will enjoy. Buatsi has got his plans and I'm sure he be well prepared, but nobody is going to stop me from fulfilling my destiny of becoming a world champion!

'He is a solid competitor and will be coming to win, but I am confident and believe I have the tools to get the job done. I proved myself at world level and I'm eager to prove that's where I belong.'

Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn shared his thoughts on the fight, claiming it is 'exactly the kind of bout' that thee sport should be looking to arrange.

He said: 'A big well done and thank you to Joshua and Craig for taking this fight, it's exactly the kind of fight boxing should be making.

'Two domestic light-heavyweights on the verge of a world title shot decide to put it on the line rather than wait in a queue, giving us a fantastic battle that can only be a thriller. We look forward to a huge night.'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...cid=entnewsntp