Default Re: World Cup 2022

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Two pretty good goals by the argies, great hit by Fernandez for the second...also some great fouls in this game, central and south americans really know how to hurt players :S

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    How does a game this expansive and long wind up at 0-0 "well, we tried" draw. Asking as a guy who will always call it "soccer" . Make bigger nets!

Yeah, as far as ties go... 0-0 sucks. 1-1 is still a tie... but at least the backs of the nets are used.

So anyway... the Groups are going as I would expect and/or like.

Don't want Germany to advance, so I'm thinking Spain and likely Japan out of that Group.

Brazil's in good shape, which is good... and Argentina saved their chances today... which is even better.

The US needs to beat Iran on Tuesday, and it's a good chance they advance with England.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I thought the U.S. gave a pretty good account of themselves. Some missed chances... and could've won, except for that bonehead foul in the box.
    Wales took the lead but Bale knotted it at ones with a pk goal.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saudi Arabia (FIFA rank # 51) scored a MONUMENTAL upset of Argentina (FIFA rank # 3) today.

Was watching ESPN SportsCenter earlier this afternoon... and saw everything from NFL news (valid), to Ben Simmons' (NBA) return to Philadelphia (his old team) tonight as part of the Brooklyn Nets.

Ben Simmons? Really?? Who actually gives a damn?

Not one mention of the MONUMENTAL upset earlier today... but they DID deem it newsworthy to jump all over the bans at Qatar of the LGBTQ armbands and such.

This is why soccer in the U.S. will continue to be second-rate and will never penetrate the upper echelons of the sport globally.

(Of course, I'm pretty sure the team will get a mention should they get past England in their next game).

To be fair most Americans don't know the relative merits of the two countries as far as football goes. A lot of them probably think Saudi Arabia can just afford to buy the best players like Real Madrid.

It's like asking English fans their opinion if Akron beat Alabama. Note I'm not talking about Akron beating some garbage team like LSU, I'm talking Alabama. English sports fans aren't going to have a clue that that would be a massive upset.

America did well against England and should have won. They're only all young lads and will be a lot better in four years. England were unimpressive. Bellingham who was outstanding against Iran and scored with a headkick did nothing against America and the whole team was a massive letdown. They're not at the level of the top teams. I haven't seen Spain play but from reading the match report I think they'll be hard to beat. I saw some of the Brazil game and was not impressed.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/28/f...ntl/index.html

"Mexican boxer Canelo Álvarez sends warning to Lionel Messi: ‘He better pray to God that I don’t find him’"

I didn't know whether to put this in the World Cup thread, or the Boxing board.

I saw the YouTube. Didn't seem like Messi did anything intentional.

But hey... I'm pretty sure Canelo can take him.

Make it at some catchweight... pay off the usual Las Vegas judges... and load up on "Mexican special beef" before the fight.

Canelo could also "marinate" the fight... seeing as to how Messi is 3 years his senior.

Then again, make it UFC rules.

Pretty sure a well-placed kick to the gonads will end the hostilities immediately.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Belgium is imploding, Germany just about survives, Brazil are strong and France look unstoppable.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sp...up-2022-11-29/

"Fans brace for politically charged U.S.-Iran match at World Cup"

DOHA, Nov 29 (Reuters) - Longtime adversaries the United States and Iran face off on the pitch at the World Cup on Tuesday in a match that some Iranians fear may see further run-ins with stadium security or clashes with pro-government fans over raging protests back home.

The contest between the two nations that severed ties over 40 years ago will be held with increased security to prevent a flare-up of tensions over the unrest that has gripped Iran since the death in custody of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini on Sept. 16.

In a show of solidarity ahead of the match, which starts at 1900 GMT, the U.S. Soccer Federation temporarily displayed Iran's national flag without the emblem of the Islamic Republic, leading Tehran to complain to FIFA, according to state media.

Qatar, which has strong ties with Washington and friendly relations with Tehran, has staked its reputation on delivering a smooth World Cup, beefing up security at Iran games and banning some items deemed inflammatory, like Iran's pre-Revolution flag.

Iran's top nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri Kani arrived in Doha on Tuesday on an invitation from Qatar, state news agency IRNA reported without mentioning if he would attend the match.

U.S.-Iranian tensions have worsened since 2018 when then-President Donald Trump abandoned Tehran's nuclear deal with world powers. Efforts to salvage the pact under President Joe Biden's administration have stalled.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, speaking in Romania, played down any link between the match and political tensions and said he hoped the game would "speak for itself", adding that he would be watching and cheering on his country.

Still, politics have spilled into the World Cup, the first to be held in a Middle East country.

Security teams deployed on Friday, when Iran beat Wales, to "break up a small number of altercations" between Iranian fans outside the stadium, a Qatari official said, adding the incidents were handled "swiftly" to contain tensions.

"I will not attend the game on Tuesday since I do not feel safe in Qatar," said Iranian-Canadian Azi, who declined to give her last name and was wearing a T-shirt declaring "Women, Life, Freedom" - a slogan of the anti-government protests in Iran.

Shame that these players can't just enjoy a good ol' fashioned sporting contest. It's not like the US and Iran have ever been BFFs or anything, but for crying out loud... let the players play and put off the political nonsense for some other time and place. Have also seen reports of Iranian authorities threatening the families of players who decide to show support for causes deemed against the Iranian government. This smacks of the days of Saddam Hussein and his evil son, who reportedly used to torture Iranian Olympic athletes who had lost in Olympic competition. It's horrible to add this pressure to the already existent pressure of wanting to win and move on to the next stage of the Cup.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DOHA, Nov 29 (Reuters) - Longtime adversaries the United States and Iran face off on the pitch at the World Cup on Tuesday in a match that some Iranians fear may see further run-ins with stadium security or clashes with pro-government fans over raging protests back home.

The contest between the two nations that severed ties over 40 years ago will be held with increased security to prevent a flare-up of tensions over the unrest that has gripped Iran since the death in custody of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini on Sept. 16.

In a show of solidarity ahead of the match, which starts at 1900 GMT, the U.S. Soccer Federation temporarily displayed Iran's national flag without the emblem of the Islamic Republic, leading Tehran to complain to FIFA, according to state media.

Qatar, which has strong ties with Washington and friendly relations with Tehran, has staked its reputation on delivering a smooth World Cup, beefing up security at Iran games and banning some items deemed inflammatory, like Iran's pre-Revolution flag.

Iran's top nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri Kani arrived in Doha on Tuesday on an invitation from Qatar, state news agency IRNA reported without mentioning if he would attend the match.

U.S.-Iranian tensions have worsened since 2018 when then-President Donald Trump abandoned Tehran's nuclear deal with world powers. Efforts to salvage the pact under President Joe Biden's administration have stalled.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, speaking in Romania, played down any link between the match and political tensions and said he hoped the game would "speak for itself", adding that he would be watching and cheering on his country.

Still, politics have spilled into the World Cup, the first to be held in a Middle East country.

Security teams deployed on Friday, when Iran beat Wales, to "break up a small number of altercations" between Iranian fans outside the stadium, a Qatari official said, adding the incidents were handled "swiftly" to contain tensions.

"I will not attend the game on Tuesday since I do not feel safe in Qatar," said Iranian-Canadian Azi, who declined to give her last name and was wearing a T-shirt declaring "Women, Life, Freedom" - a slogan of the anti-government protests in Iran.

Shame that these players can't just enjoy a good ol' fashioned sporting contest. It's not like the US and Iran have ever been BFFs or anything, but for crying out loud... let the players play and put off the political nonsense for some other time and place. Have also seen reports of Iranian authorities threatening the families of players who decide to show support for causes deemed against the Iranian government. This smacks of the days of Saddam Hussein and his evil son, who reportedly used to torture Iranian Olympic athletes who had lost in Olympic competition. It's horrible to add this pressure to the already existent pressure of wanting to win and move on to the next stage of the Cup.
    Team America are through to the Sweet Sixteen in the World Soccerball Cup after Christian Pulisic bundled the ball past the Iranian goaltender in the first quarter. They showed Saddam and the rest of those fuckheads who the boss is.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 01-05-21 shah of iran phil leotardo - Google Search.jpg

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

Team America are through to the Sweet Sixteen in the World Soccerball Cup after Christian Pulisic bundled the ball past the Iranian goaltender in the first quarter. They showed Saddam and the rest of those fuckheads who the boss is.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 01-05-21 shah of iran phil leotardo - Google Search.jpg

I didn't think Pulisic would be available for the next game, the way he was helped off the field. He's got a pelvic contusion... good thing it wasn't a broken rib.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fif...e10befa7c0b575

"Even Andres Guardado, Mexico's captain, has called out Canelo for his Lionel Messi comments"

So even Mexico's own players admit Canelo is an insufferable ass.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was a decent performance. Bit of a sore head after drinking to 4:30am (Well out of practice). Everyone loves to slag off Southgate, and he can be a bit hyper cautious, but the fellas man management is class. That team look very dangerous when they gel, and Senegal will be no walk in the park, but I think we can progress if we don't rely on just not conceding. Even nicer to hammer a team more obsessed with us losing against anyone than beating teams themselves.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

TERRIFIC offensive performance by Argentina. Only Poland's huge (and good) goalkeeper kept it from being 10-0, it seems like.

On the other hand... Poland's offense was anemic or non-existent. They got through to the next round (thanks to a late goal from KSA against Mexico)... but I figure they'll get knocked right out.

Meanwhile, Argentina looks good after their surprise defeat against the Saudis.

Thread Information