I stopped coaching about ten years ago and turned my back on boxing. My old gym owner decided to go for the men and women who liked to show up, do the exercises and pound on the heavy bag and never ever climb in the ring. The goal was not to teach boxing, but to lose weight. It would have been cheaper on them to dig ditches and push cars up and down hills. This past fall, a young trainer asked me to come to a smoker and look over a fighter he had been working with. The guy had the muscles, had the punch power, great footwork, but he could not last over 5 rounds. I knew right off what his problem was. I asked him how much daily running he did and he told me 5 miles dawn and 5 miles at night. So, I got up early one morning and met him for his morning run. I followed in the car and around 2 miles or better, began to stumble and slow up. He never made 3 miles. For all his bulking up, he was lying about the running. I told him there are certain truths that come out in training: Weight scales never lie, and body fatigue and stamina will give you away every time. Running is one of the basic training fundamentals you can't ignore. He blew me off and said he knew what he needed in training. Weeks later when I asked about him, I learned the gym was using him for sparring and not much else. He somehow got it in his head that he had 'graduated' from all the BS of running and his belly fat was beginning to show it. Some people never get it.