Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does Tyson Fury rank in the Greatest Heavyweight list?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Where does Tyson Fury rank in the Greatest Heavyweight list?

Tyson Fury is the best fighter of our generation. He says he is the greatest ever but he is not.

If he did retire, which he will not, then where would he be ranked on the list of great heavyweights?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Where does Tyson Fury rank in the Greatest Heavyweight list?

He is without doubt the best fighter of this HW generation as you say.

You can only beat the guys from your era and he only needs beat Usyk now to underline this era - if AJ does beat Usyk in rematch (doubtful) then he could take that fight but that is imo an easy night's work.

People will point to the quality of opposition but what can he do about that.

He's odds on to retire with the '0' intact. A prestigious club indeed
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie Hearn suggests Anthony Joshua has had better career than Tyson Fury

Matchroom Boxing boss Hearn - who Fury called after his win - has compared the key wins of 'The Gypsy King' and Joshua. Hearn listed Wladimir Klitschko, Deontay Wilder, Derek Chisora, Otto Wallin and Whyte as the best wins throughout Fury's 14-year professional career.

Comparing that list to Joshua's, Hearn listed the key wins of his Matchroom posterboy which included Klitschko, Whyte, Joseph Parker, Alexander Povetkin, Andy Ruiz Jr and Kubrat Pulev.

In arguably the best win of both of their careers, Fury ended Klitschko's 20 fight unbeaten run that spanned over a decade when he beat the Ukrainian in 2015. Fury won the unified titles with the win as Klitschko was outpointed for the first time in his professional career.

Two years later Joshua had his chance against 'Dr Steelhammer' in front of 90,000 fans at Wembley. 'AJ' remained unbeaten and did what Fury couldn't, knocking out Klitschko to win the vacant heavyweight belts. Klitschko announced his retirement after the loss.

Fury knocked out Deontay Wilder twice after fighting to a controversial draw with the hard-hitting American in their first meeting. A fight between Joshua and Wilder has been called upon in the past, but the pair are yet to meet in the ring.

Both men now have wins over Whyte, but Joshua has defeated one more former champion than Fury has. 'AJ' looks to become a three-time champion as he is pencilled in to rematch Oleksandr Usyk in July.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...1020ba1b01b41b

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You could defo say he's had the better career in terms of beating top ten opponents and pay days and endorsements - no doubt about it.

But unless AJ beats Fury in the ring - very very doubtful - those in the know will always rank him a rung or two below Fury in terms of his fighting ability. David Haye would no doubt rank AJ as better than Fury and predicting he'd beat Fury by KO in round 2.

I remember Khan once stupidly saying re Brook let's compare bank accounts and see who the superstar is. Very true in terms of bank accounts he was way ahead - in the ring however.

They will milk the 3 time world champion thing if he beats Usyk in a rematch - which actually means he's lost the title twice......

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is this what it’s come to? A win against Dillian Whyte (a fight he should win) now elevates you to the extent that people consider your ATG Credentials. Neither Fury nor AJ will ever be considered anywhere near those conversations, because there’s not enough quality in the division.
    But the one I feel sorry for is Usyk. He could beat Fury , AJ and Uncle Tom Cobley, but he will still never be in the shake up.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he officially goes out on Whyte and swerves Usyk OR AJ winner well, he'll be an extremely talented chump for me. He doesn't get to assume the era gold standard if he fails to fully unify (funny how post fight it was hardly mentioned) and takes all comers. Reevaluate a 39 year old Wlad and wins over a big puncher who had glaring flaws and a ticking time clock to be comprehensively outboxed. Clearly I think Fury has the fluidity, boxing IQ, size, unapproachable confidence and resiliency to give near every top all time fighters shit fits and could surprise a couple. Very interesting hypotheticals for sure but on legacy, comp and accomplishment I cannot see him top 10. Is Fury closer to Holmes than any other great?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Regardless of what he says I don't see any way he avoids the AJ / Usyk winner.

It would also be a new low for boxing if they fail to be able to make this match up happen post rematch. Nothing would surprise me.

Even if he wins that yep it's difficult to rank him all time - none of his peers will be in that top ten either so what does he do?

Spic is right he'd give any ATG problems because of his attributes.

I have him beating Holyfield, Frazier, Dempsey, Marciano. Mike would have to KO him within 4 then things would get interesting. I see Lewis and Foreman beating him inside the distance as they had the size to neutralize his.

Ali would win lopsided UD.

So all in all maybe I do make him an ATG

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think there is a difference between ‘greatest’ and ‘best’ ….. Ali transcended the sport like nobody before or since and fought the toughest contenders ever seen, Louis made 25 defences of the Undisputed title, Foreman was in his forties when he won it back, Marciano won 49 in a row. Fury’s achievements are impressive but not quite in that league yet.

As for ‘best’, would Fury be competitive in the ring with all of them - yep!
    Last edited by X; 04-26-2022 at 11:24 PM.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury is the number one in the division. I think that's only fair and right. But for me the credit he's getting is outweighing what he's actually done. Wlad, Wilder, Whyte. Those are the highlights. Massive props to him for coming back from what he came back from, but it doesn't elevate his in ring achievements. As Primo said you don't get your named mentioned amongst the greats of the sport by beating Dillian Whyte.

He needs to fight and beat the Usyk Joshua winner to be considered the best of the era. Then if you're a glutton for punishment with lots of spare time. Go ahead and discuss his all time standing.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just reading Doug Fischers thoughts in the Ring Online how Fury would do against the ATGs.

I've cut and pasted the relevant part here. Again, just one man's opinion.

Fury vs Jack Johnson – Fury by close decision (in a bout scheduled for 10-to-15-rounds; if it the fight distance is 20 rounds or more, I’ve going with Li’l Arthur)

Fury vs Jack Dempsey – Fury by unanimous decision or late stoppage (but I think Dempsey has a shot at catching him in the early rounds)

Fury vs Joe Louis – Fury by close decision (but I think he has to survive some wobbly moments and maybe a knockdown)

Fury vs Rocky Marciano – Fury by late stoppage

Fury vs Sonny Liston – Liston by close decision (thanks to a knockdown or two)

Fury vs Muhammad Ali – Ali by unanimous decision

Fury vs Joe Frazier – Frazier by close decision

Fury vs George Foreman – Fury by close decision (but Big George, of course, has a real shot at clipping the Gypsy King)

Fury vs Larry Holmes – Holmes by unanimous decision

Fury vs Mike Tyson – Fury by unanimous decision (but just like Dempsey, Iron Mike has a real shot at ending the fight early)

Fury vs Evander Holyfield – Fury by close, maybe majority or split decision in a great fight

Fury vs Riddick Bowe – Big Daddy by close decision in a great fight

Fury vs Lennox Lewis – Lewis by unanimous decision

Fury vs Vitali Klitchsko – Klitschko by close decision in a mutually punishing fight

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is always a fun exercise. I'll add my own two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Just reading Doug Fischers thoughts in the Ring Online how Fury would do against the ATGs.

Fury vs Jack Johnson – Fury by close decision (in a bout scheduled for 10-to-15-rounds; if it the fight distance is 20 rounds or more, I’ve going with Li’l Arthur)

Fury vs Jack Dempsey – Fury by unanimous decision or late stoppage (but I think Dempsey has a shot at catching him in the early rounds) Agree

Fury vs Joe Louis – Fury by close decision (but I think he has to survive some wobbly moments and maybe a knockdown) Disagree. Louis by comfortable decision.

Fury vs Rocky Marciano – Fury by late stoppage Agree, although a wide decision win isn't out of the question.

Fury vs Sonny Liston – Liston by close decision (thanks to a knockdown or two) Liston?? Nah. Probably one of Fury's easiest decision wins.

Fury vs Muhammad Ali – Ali by unanimous decision Agree

Fury vs Joe Frazier – Frazier by close decision I can't have Fury losing to Frazier and beating Tyson further down. But then Frazier was a perpetual motion machine. Tossup for me.

Fury vs George Foreman – Fury by close decision (but Big George, of course, has a real shot at clipping the Gypsy King) I think George catches Fury late. Late stoppage for George.

Fury vs Larry Holmes – Holmes by unanimous decision Agree

Fury vs Mike Tyson – Fury by unanimous decision (but just like Dempsey, Iron Mike has a real shot at ending the fight early) Disagree. Mike catches him late and won't let him off the hook like Wilder did.

Fury vs Evander Holyfield – Fury by close, maybe majority or split decision in a great fight Close, but Evander wins

Fury vs Riddick Bowe – Big Daddy by close decision in a great fight Close, but Fury wins

Fury vs Lennox Lewis – Lewis by unanimous decision Agree

Fury vs Vitali Klitchsko – Klitschko by close decision in a mutually punishing fight Agree

I think Fury's sheer size give him the edge over a lot of these fighters. Plus he's not just big... he's mobile and knows how to box. Against Wilder he proved he can get up from a devastating punch. That's the "X" factor that gives him a chance against some of history's big punchers.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good idea - I didn't actually do my own

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post

Agree maybe not even close

Fury vs Jack Dempsey – Fury by unanimous decision or late stoppage (but I think Dempsey has a shot at catching him in the early rounds)

Agree

Fury vs Joe Louis – Fury by close decision (but I think he has to survive some wobbly moments and maybe a knockdown)

Louis by SD

Fury vs Rocky Marciano – Fury by late stoppage

Agree

Fury vs Sonny Liston – Liston by close decision (thanks to a knockdown or two)

Yep I don't get this prediction either. Liston would quit or be DQ around same time he did with Ali

Fury vs Muhammad Ali – Ali by unanimous decision

Agree totally

Fury vs Joe Frazier – Frazier by close decision

Fury stoppage late - size would tell

Fury vs George Foreman – Fury by close decision (but Big George, of course, has a real shot at clipping the Gypsy King)

George by KO within 5

Fury vs Larry Holmes – Holmes by unanimous decision

One of them by SD - pick em. SO I'll say Draw !

Fury vs Mike Tyson – Fury by unanimous decision (but just like Dempsey, Iron Mike has a real shot at ending the fight early)

Survive early rounds and I have Fury winning late. I think he would - Fury by late stoppage

Fury vs Evander Holyfield – Fury by close, maybe majority or split decision in a great fight

Fury by UD

Fury vs Riddick Bowe – Big Daddy by close decision in a great fight

Again - pick em. I'll say Fury by SD

Fury vs Lennox Lewis – Lewis by unanimous decision

Agree

Fury vs Vitali Klitchsko – Klitschko by close decision in a mutually punishing fight

Yep have to agree

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So I'm guessing I have Fury and Vitali as all time greats

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's because of this kind of skillset that Fury possesses that many fans - and himself - have made claim to the 'The Gypsy King' ranking highly among the greatest heavyweights of all time.

Yet Atlas - who has been in the boxing game for over 40 years - heavily disagrees with all these claims.
    "To start immediately saying that Tyson Fury is the greatest heavyweight of all time. Did you forget about guys named Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, Jack Johnson, and Rocky Marciano?

"Fury is the most versatile heavyweight that's been around for a hell of a long time. Technically sound, dimensional, he can do so many things brilliantly smart, and he's a great promoter too.
    "To say he's the greatest British heavyweight of all time, I'm not gonna go nuts on that. But to say he's the greatest heavyweight in the history of the sport that's been around longer than any other sport in the world with the names I just finished throwing at you?"

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...970e718542291a

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So tough to rank him historically because you end up ranking head to head vice actual accomplishments. I feel like he beat all styles (boxer, puncher, brawler, technical boxer…etc.). He also is an anomaly- so big and so mobile shouldn’t go together. He also has great skills, a great gas tank, and Holyfield size heart/determination. Head to head I’m not confident anyone in history beats him (not saying he is unbeatable, just saying I can’t look at one fighter and for certain say: “yep, he definitely beats Fury”).

Tyson has forced me to question my ATG rankings and move some of my top choices around. I rank based on historical significance, accomplishment, and quality of opposition. It’s why no one will ever beat Ali historically- he fought too many tough fighters and was an iconic figure. Joe Louis was iconic, but doesn’t have the level of competition that Ali does. Tyson Fury is similar to Larry Holmes to me (one of the fighters I have moved lower/below Fury)- I think he matches up well with anyone who ever fought but his level of competition isn’t as good as Ali, Evander, or Lennox. That being said, he was more consistent than Evander, and didn’t suffer the knockouts that Lennox did.

I still have Ali, Louis, Evander, Lewis, and maybe Foreman ahead of Tyson Fury, but even that will likely change. I agree that he is head and shoulders above anyone today in terms of skill, heart, and charisma. He is a great champion.

Thread Information