Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where does Tyson Fury rank in the Greatest Heavyweight list?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Where does Tyson Fury rank in the Greatest Heavyweight list?

Just because Tyson Fury could beat an ATG heavyweight does not make him ahead of them on the list. To be on the list you have to have been the best in your time, faced top fighters, beat all other challengers, have a number of successful defences and proved your greatness by facing some sort of adversity illustrating your heart, courage and desire.

Fury should only be considered when he beats AJ/Usyk, and defends against Joyce/Parker, Dubois/Bryan, faced undefeated fighters like Sanchez, Hrgovic or Ruiz/Ortiz.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    To be on the list you have to have been the best in your time, faced top fighters, beat all other challengers, have a number of successful defences and proved your greatness by facing some sort of adversity illustrating your heart, courage and desire.
    If he faces AJ / Usyk winner he'll have faced the best available

He's faced adversity and shown his heart courage and desire - in and out of the ring

So going by your logic he's not far off is he ?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    To be on the list you have to have been the best in your time, faced top fighters, beat all other challengers, have a number of successful defences and proved your greatness by facing some sort of adversity illustrating your heart, courage and desire.
    If he faces AJ / Usyk winner he'll have faced the best available

He's faced adversity and shown his heart courage and desire - in and out of the ring

So going by your logic he's not far off is he ?
    Still need to make a number of defences he has only had 2.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury has been around during a dearth of useful heavyweights, without being nationalistic about it the top american athletes at this sort of height/weight are looking at basketball and football or even UFC for more consistent and less corrupt earnings.

Having said that, it is not Furys fault when he was born or which sport he picked, he has made up for his situation by being a master of salesmanship (remind you of anyone?).

There was another dearth of useful heavyweights immediately after WW2, for obvious reasons, although Rocky, to his credit enlisted.

You cannot hold it against both men just due to these things, they fought and beat who was there, period.

Any talk about Fury coulda shoulda woulda is also relevant to Rocky, so its worthless hyperbole.

Geoff

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Just reading Doug Fischers thoughts in the Ring Online how Fury would do against the ATGs.

I've cut and pasted the relevant part here. Again, just one man's opinion.

Fury vs Jack Johnson – Fury by close decision (in a bout scheduled for 10-to-15-rounds; if it the fight distance is 20 rounds or more, I’ve going with Li’l Arthur)

Fury vs Jack Dempsey – Fury by unanimous decision or late stoppage (but I think Dempsey has a shot at catching him in the early rounds)

Fury vs Joe Louis – Fury by close decision (but I think he has to survive some wobbly moments and maybe a knockdown)

Fury vs Rocky Marciano – Fury by late stoppage

Fury vs Sonny Liston – Liston by close decision (thanks to a knockdown or two)

Fury vs Muhammad Ali – Ali by unanimous decision

Fury vs Joe Frazier – Frazier by close decision

Fury vs George Foreman – Fury by close decision (but Big George, of course, has a real shot at clipping the Gypsy King)

Fury vs Larry Holmes – Holmes by unanimous decision

Fury vs Mike Tyson – Fury by unanimous decision (but just like Dempsey, Iron Mike has a real shot at ending the fight early)

Fury vs Evander Holyfield – Fury by close, maybe majority or split decision in a great fight

Fury vs Riddick Bowe – Big Daddy by close decision in a great fight

Fury vs Lennox Lewis – Lewis by unanimous decision

Fury vs Vitali Klitchsko – Klitschko by close decision in a mutually punishing fight
    Ok , so this is getting ridiculous. We’re putting guys into ATG status when all they’ve beaten is tomato cans. To be fair to Fury, that’s all that is around to beat. So here are my unpopular opinions.

B]Fury vs Jack Johnson –

Fury vs Jack Dempsey –
    Complete waste of time . You can’t compare people in a sport 100 years apart ffs. It’s like saying the vikings would be able to win battles against modern day soldiers with tanks, airplanes and fucking mad machine guns and stuff.

Fury vs Joe Louis – Louis . He beat my namesake easy, so why wouldn’t he beat Fury? Yes Fury can move for a big guy, but he looks good doing it because everybody’s crap. There’s levels to everything.

Fury vs Rocky Marciano – Probably Fury. I mean , he’d be fighting a LHW who wasn’t even much of a mover.

Fury vs Sonny Liston – prime Liston before getting sussed out by Clay would’ve made Fury shit his pants.

Fury vs Muhammad Ali – Ali whichever way he wanted to.

Fury vs Joe Frazier – Frazier wouldn’t give him a second’s peace.

Fury vs George Foreman – Foreman knocks him out. We think of Foreman as a bit of a Mummy because of the way Ali took the piss. But nobody else makes him look like that, and he fought and beat some amazing fighters.

Fury vs Larry Holmes – Holmes by unanimous decision

Fury vs Mike Tyson – Prime Mike Tyson sparks him out. When Tyson was at his peak , he was better against the big guys.he used his smaller size as a plus.

Fury vs Evander Holyfield – Holyfield by unanimous decision. Like Frazier, Fury would feel like he’s got a rash all over him.

Fury vs Riddick Bowe – Bowe.

Fury vs Lennox Lewis – Lewis by stoppage. (And I never even liked Lewis.)

Fury vs Vitali Klitchsko – Klitschko late stoppage
    [/B]
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Fury has been around during a dearth of useful heavyweights, without being nationalistic about it the top american athletes at this sort of height/weight are looking at basketball and football or even UFC for more consistent and less corrupt earnings.

Having said that, it is not Furys fault when he was born or which sport he picked, he has made up for his situation by being a master of salesmanship (remind you of anyone?).

There was another dearth of useful heavyweights immediately after WW2, for obvious reasons, although Rocky, to his credit enlisted.

You cannot hold it against both men just due to these things, they fought and beat who was there, period.

Any talk about Fury coulda shoulda woulda is also relevant to Rocky, so its worthless hyperbole.

Geoff
    I agree and will take it a step further- the truth is the heavyweight division has rarely been deep or packed with top fighters. In my opinion the heavyweights of the late 60s/early 70s and 90s were deep, and the remainder have ranged fro mediocre to barren. We tend to look back with rose colored lenses but when you start looking at challengers…etc., you see that outside of those two decades there weren’t many heavyweight divisions with a ton of elite fighters.

A big reason for this is simply due to the fact that heavyweight sized fighters are a minority around the world- meaning it is still less common to find humans taller than 6’3”. Add to that the fact that it becomes even rarer to find a guy that size who is athletic, a hard worker, and wants to participate in the sport of boxing. The simple fact is that the talent pool for heavyweights is MUCH less than the other weights- ESPECIALLY the middleweights (147-160).

Not sure how many on here competed but think of national tournaments- heavyweights would usually start at the bracket of 32- and the first couple of matches were easy until they started hitting the other seeded competitors. For smaller/mid- weight fighters you would have to win a few “pig tails” just to make it to the bracket. The 90s were the best heavyweight division ever- but it was an anomaly.

The heavyweights Fury beat were just as flawed as the ones Mike Tyson, Larry Holme, and Vlad beat. I would argue that he beat better comp than Dempsey, Tunney, and Marciano. Ali, Evander, and Lennox all beat better comp- but they were all fortunate to be around during those rare moments of deep/ talented heavyweight divisions. Can’t fault Fury for things he can’t control.

I would like to see him fight Usyk once Usyk beats AJ again- but I don’t feel that he has to beat AJ to prove anything. AJ is like Riddick Bowe to Lennox Lewis- he looks like he would be a good match up for Fury but his losses derailed the fights. I don’t see how AJ beats Fury- I don’t even see how he survives 12 rounds.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree Fury would destroy AJ. It is personal hate between Fury and everything AJ stands for. No way Fury stays retired and watch these inferior boxers take away his limelight and fame.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree Fury would destroy AJ. It is personal hate between Fury and everything AJ stands for. No way Fury stays retired and watch these inferior boxers take away his limelight and fame.
    I could see AJ Beating Fury.not saying he will, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Fury beat Wilder, and I really don’t rate Wilder. And Whyte. I thought the Whyte that AJ beat was far more pumped and aggressive than the Whyte of last week.
    But what about Wallin? Sure he was easily the better fighter, but if Wallin had that cut , the fight would’ve been stopped regardless of who was winning the fight. I can’t believe the fight continued. 47 stitches!!

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I could see AJ Beating Fury.not saying he will, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Fury beat Wilder, and I really don’t rate Wilder. And Whyte. I thought the Whyte that AJ beat was far more pumped and aggressive than the Whyte of last week.
    But what about Wallin? Sure he was easily the better fighter, but if Wallin had that cut , the fight would’ve been stopped regardless of who was winning the fight. I can’t believe the fight continued. 47 stitches!!
    Fury has had his poor performances and it is mainly against fighters he is expecting to beat probably down to lack of motivation.

Against AJ it would be very different. It would be Fury biggest fight for the undisputed title against someone who he does not like. Fury will ruin AJ in the build up with mind games and take him apart in the ring. It will be a one sided slaughter. This is why I would love to see AJ beat Usyk, it is the biggest fight ever in the UK.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah, I don’t think so.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think AJ would be very tough for 7 or 8 rounds, and would have more success than Wilder did (consistent success, not the big shots out of no where). AJ is very skilled, is intelligent, and very strong/muscular. The areas I see being the difference are:

1. Stamina: I see AJ running out of gas after 8 rounds and Fury putting the pressure on to break him mentally.
    2. Speed/mobility- AJ is athletic, but Fury seems to be more mobile, and a little faster of hand/feet than AJ.
    3. Mentality: Fury has a fighter’s grit and mentality, where AJ is a very talented athlete.

It would be a great fight for the first half, but I don’t see how AJ wins this. Even the knockout scenario- if that 12th round bomb from Wilder in the first fight couldn’t do the trick, I don’t see how anything that AJ throws could.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I think AJ would be very tough for 7 or 8 rounds, and would have more success than Wilder did (consistent success, not the big shots out of no where). AJ is very skilled, is intelligent, and very strong/muscular. The areas I see being the difference are:

1. Stamina: I see AJ running out of gas after 8 rounds and Fury putting the pressure on to break him mentally.
    2. Speed/mobility- AJ is athletic, but Fury seems to be more mobile, and a little faster of hand/feet than AJ.
    3. Mentality: Fury has a fighter’s grit and mentality, where AJ is a very talented athlete.

It would be a great fight for the first half, but I don’t see how AJ wins this. Even the knockout scenario- if that 12th round bomb from Wilder in the first fight couldn’t do the trick, I don’t see how anything that AJ throws could.
    That would be all true but AJ is damaged and fragile now and Fury will eat him alive now.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury will have driven any belief AJ had all out of him by the time the first bell rung.

Would be painful viewing

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still think he is bang average tbh.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So what do you think about the rest of the current crop of heavyweights?

Thread Information