Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Huge gap between levels in women's boxing

That much was made evident to me last night. The Serrano-Taylor bout was excellent, and worthy of the main event status in Madison Square Garden. I hated the decision (but then what else is new in boxing judging, where three dopes conspire to ruin many a great fight with their asinine decisions )... but both fighters showed excellent skills and tons of heart.

By contrast, an earlier fight on the undercard featured two women super middleweights for the undisputed title and all the belts. You'd think quality, right? Yet IMO, it was just another barroom slugfest, with zero defense, even less strategy, and nothing of note save a bloodied but brave Swede who made sure every punch from her opponent landed flush. Then again, they had what was it... 16 professional fights between the two? Just points to the barren wasteland of women's boxing in some divisions.

Amanda Serrano was ranked #3 in the latest women's p4p rankings (?)... but I gotta figure... after her and Katie the level drops off considerably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Huge gap between levels in women's boxing

Pound 4 pound I think Seniesa Estrada and Mikaela Mayer are both better than Taylor and Serrano
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a huge gap which is why the top women boxers are cleaning up titles, unifying and winning at multiple weights.

Serrano is a very skilled boxer and I was impressed with her considering she was coming up 2 weights. She beat Taylor like I have never seen anyone else do.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten Apple View Post
    Pound 4 pound I think Seniesa Estrada and Mikaela Mayer are both better than Taylor and Serrano

Of course you do.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whilst I don't disagree with you. I think that's a little harsh on Crews Dezurn. Not gonna lie, never seen her fight before but she had a method, a game plan and it worked. Yeah it was a little crude, but there's nothing wrong with a well executed windmill . Cederroos on the other hand yeah. Seemed to have no idea what she was doing, no defence, no hope of changing things and did a great job of stopping pretty much everything Crews Dezurn threw with her face. At no point did I ever think Cederroos was going to win. But for gods sake corner wipe the blood off of her face. At the bare minimum freshen her up so she momentarily doesn't look like she's been pummelled.

My gut feel on the whole 12 x 3 for women is a no. This drop off in skillset is a major contributing factor. Basically Cederroos would have got punched really fucking hard in the face for another 16 minutes. No Ta.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know maybe there's a much more centered focus as top female "elites" or even top tier contenders simply because the numbers are so thin compared to men's. If we're talking huge gap, difference in active fighters is one...1,500 to 21,300 if you believe ol Boxrec. A large part of what I base an enjoyable fight on is competitiveness. We go nuts when two guys stand ring center and slug it out quick to drop the FOTY flags. And it's not like Taylor and Serrano was a constant back alley brawl. You can argue that's what got Taylor in huge trouble in the first place was trying to swap leather, but she did make subtle adjustments to steady it. And Serrano stayed consistent. I think ultimately an evenly matched super fight can produce a primal fire and that's exactly what we got. The knock beforehand was "women's boxing is boring, there's no ko power" etc etc . If ever there was a point when the ladies were..dare we say stepping up and some real quality fights are being made..it's currently.

Thread Information