Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Who should Jermell Charlo fight next?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who should Jermell Charlo fight next?

Now that Jermell Charlo has become undisputed light middleweight champion who should he fight next?

Spence is interested, Tszyu, or should he move up to middleweight?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who should Jermell Charlo fight next?

Tszyu is too green I think. Fundora will get beat easily. Spence and Crawford would take Charlo, I feel. I'll go against the grain and say Castano went in and tried to cruise to a victory in first gear the second fight. He tried to wade through punches to start exchanges with body shots or hooks like he had the key to Charlo's city. He ate punches he should have slipped or at least partially blocked and never set up his offense with the jab or angles. He looked sluggish and like he did no homework between the first and second fight. Like his dad said, "just be careful this time". So he stood in the pocket, squared up, trying to creep in without being seen, and didn't want to let his hands go out of getting caught with another temple shot. From the way Castano took that KO shot, I think hes done and the vultures are circling. He really seems like a good kid but if they resurrect him, it should be with a trainer that's going to give him some structure.

Even with all that being said. I can't fault Charlo for doing what he was supposed to do. He was boxing better, got there first with straight punches and stayed off the ropes but still looked vulnerable to me. He wasn't exactly hard to find and Castano really didn't have a whole lot of trouble cutting off the ring despite not using his jab. I also think any fighter worth his salt would have drilled Charlo with with uppercuts when he was leaning and reaching to clinch without tucking his chin or getting his gloves inside his opponents. Charlo was caught in between being a lion and a lamb. He looked fierce when his opponent was covering up and petrified in the first half when castano bent his knees looking to get inside. At the end of the fight Charlo said that was his best and he gave it his all. If that's the truth I think he'll reign for a while if he goes the PBC route and fights tune ups once a year. If he fights someone that sets up their offense uses their footwork and sets traps for him, he's going to crumble. First mentally, then the body will follow. Just my opinion, i could be wrong .
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually thought Charlo managed the contest very well this time and was far more controlled.

It was the classic boxer v brawler but Jermell demonstrated good hand speed and controlled aggression. His left hook is beautiful and destructive. Castano was dangerous with his right hand and caught Jermell numerous times.

Charlo paced the fight better and controlled the distance. He dominated the rematch better this time and think he could reign for a long time if he wants.

I would love for Spence to try and take him on if the Crawford contest could not be made.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I actually thought Charlo managed the contest very well this time and was far more controlled.

It was the classic boxer v brawler but Jermell demonstrated good hand speed and controlled aggression. His left hook is beautiful and destructive. Castano was dangerous with his right hand and caught Jermell numerous times.

Charlo paced the fight better and controlled the distance. He dominated the rematch better this time and think he could reign for a long time if he wants.

I would love for Spence to try and take him on if the Crawford contest could not be made.

Charlo absolutely did what he was supposed to do. He stayed off the ropes. He used straight punches which get there before hooks. I think Castanos effort took his good performance and made him look like a genius. I don't even know if i could classify castanos performance as brawling. I didn't really get that feeling of balls to the wall reckless abandon feel from castano. He looked cautious and a little unsure to me. Sure he did what he could, but he had no answer. I mean you had to figure, charlo wasn't going to sit there and slug with you, so have a way to get inside, take his legs from him and make him a sitting duck.

The spence match would be difficult. I heard somewhere that spence was game but they have the same trainer.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

timmy
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just want Tszyu v Fundora. That would be a fantastic trainwreck. Decent chance Charlo could claim mission accomplished and jump to 160 who knows. 4 different belts 4 different mandatories. Tszyu teams with PBC it could be made right off and the chatter back and forth has already ramped up between Charlo and Tszyu. It feels right in his case to strike now for Tim should the opportunity arise, stylistically Charlo..the aware complete package Charlo of Saturday night..has plenty of holes to punch thru with the defense of Tim but Tim presents a different literal level of pressure style than Castano who sort of comes lower inside, under over. Either way I don't think Jermell is long for the division at all.

Thread Information