Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Michael Hunter v Hughie Fury

Michael Hunter lands bigger payday than Hughie Fury for WBA heavyweight title eliminator

Michael Hunter is set to land a bigger purse than Hughie Fury when the two heavyweights collide in a WBA world title eliminator in Manchester on July 2. Although a venue is still to be confirmed, Express Sport understands both fighters have now signed the fight contracts with an announcement expected imminently.

The bout will be promoted by BOXXER's Ben Shalom, headlining a stacked card that will be broadcasted live on Sky Sports as the pair seek to move closer towards world honours.

Despite being the away fighter, Hunter is considered the A-side and will net close to £440,000 ($550,000) from his lucrative purse, per sources.

The Bounty Hunter, who is a free agent following his split from Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing in the summer of 2020, has also received assurances of a potential promotional contract with BOXXER - should he reign supreme.

Yet Hunter's purse is likely to cause a stir with 27-year-old Fury, the younger cousin of WBC and Ring Magazine World Champion Tyson Fury, set to earn less than his opponent.

Nonetheless, both fighters can force their way into world title reckoning with victory and the winner is set to face whoever prevails from Daniel Dubois' WBA interim title fight with Trevor Bryan in Miami on June 11.

Hunter, 21-1-2, has previously boxed on English shores when he successfully stopped Martin Bakole in October 2018 at York Hall.

The 33-year-old's career has undeniably stagnated since his split from Matchroom, however, and he will have to raise the bar following a disappointing showing last time out in his split decision draw with Jerry Forrest in December when he was captured vomiting in between rounds.

Having previously shared the ring with pound-for-pound great Oleksandr Usyk in 2017, Hunter is not short of big-fight experience and was unfortunate not to come out on top in a pulsating draw with Alexander Povetkin on the undercard of Anthony Joshua's rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia.

Meanwhile, Fury, 26-3, is out to continue his three-fight winning streak following his underwhelming defeat to the now-retired Russian veteran Povetkin in August 2019.

The Manchester fighter has struggled to prove he belongs at world level having also previously faced setbacks against Joseph Parker and Kubrat Pulev earlier in his career.

Shalom confirmed two weeks ago that terms had been agreed between the two fighters but the deal has now been formalised.

"That's an unbelievable fight," he told Boxing Social. "It's a 50/50 fight on paper and Fury is ready for that, he's been waiting for it.

"He was meant to fight Robert Helenius, that was what was ordered but Helenius didn't take it in the end.

"Michael Hunter is one of those fighters that we all know how good he is and he's never really reached the heights that we thought he could.

"Looking forward to that one in early July, it's a massive moment for Hughie."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...08e945ee7e8885
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Michael Hunter v Hughie Fury

hughie got this. mike looked like shit last out
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Re: Michael Hunter v Hughie Fury

Michael Hunter has eyes for not one Fury but two as he prepares to face Hughie in view of pursuing his older cousin Tyson's world title belts.

The 33-year-old will face the younger member of the Fury family in London on July 2, live on Sky Sports, as the pair fight for a shot at the WBA regular belt against the winner of defending champion Trevor Bryan and Britain's No 1-ranked contender Daniel Dubois in June.

Hunter enters 20(14)-1-2 on the back of a lacklustre draw against Jerry Forrest last December, while Fury is back in the ring for the first time since beating Christian Hammer in October to improve his record to 26(15)-3.

Fury to face Hunter in world title eliminator on Sky
    "He just can't punch," Hunter said of Fury, speaking to Sky Sports. "He's good, I think he's a decent boxer, he's got some decent skills, he's tall, he's long, he comes from the Fury family.

"The best thing we can say is he comes from a Fury family, a fighting family. That's the best thing I can see.

"I don't think he's a great puncher, when you say technical boxer that's what I see, it means he's just not a puncher."

For Fury it beckons as another step towards a long-awaited second world title challenge five years on from missing out on the WBO heavyweight crown at the hands of defeat to Joseph Parker.

The 27-year-old suffered a unanimous decision defeat to Alexander Povetkin in August 2019 before responding with a third-round stoppage of Pavel Sour and a decision win against Mariusz Wach prior to taking out Hammer.

Hunter began his career with a 12-fight win streak after turning professional until he was beaten by Oleksandr Usyk for the WBO cruiserweight title. He went on to stop British hope Martin Bakole in October 2018 before holding Alexander Povetkin to a draw in December 2019.

"I'm excited to be over in England and display my skills," Hunter added.

"We're going to knock them [the Furys] down one by one, Hughie first.

"He's in the way, I'm going for the belts and anyone in my way I've got to run them over.

"We know he can fight. Does he have the skills and determination to compete with me? I don't think so. Only one way to find out."

What comes of Tyson Fury's heavyweight titles remains to be seen as the 'Gypsy King' remains insistent he is retired following his sixth-round knockout win over Dillian Whyte at Wembley.

Hughie Fury will take on heavyweight rival Michael Hunter in a final world-title eliminator at the AO Arena Manchester on July 2, live on Sky Sports.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...d0a28b21f1651d

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty decent match up style wise. Hopefully it doesn't turn ugly. Hunter runs a little deeper I think he'll raise his game but he needs to stop loading up.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Pretty decent match up style wise. Hopefully it doesn't turn ugly. Hunter runs a little deeper I think he'll raise his game but he needs to stop loading up.
    i thought michael lost to jerry
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    i thought michael lost to jerry
    Haven't seen it need to check it out see if an off night or more permanent. Maybe Forrest retained some memory of their 1st fight to work with but hard to say.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

michael conlan will return on this card against miguel marriaga

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hunter beats him up over 12.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Hunter beats him up over 12.
    i think hughie win this one

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hughie take the fights everyone avoids. Hunter fought the best and is up there. These are the fights I want to see, to show who is the best fighter out there. This is another big fight to prove he stand with the top three in the world heavyweight division.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zoley View Post
    Hughie take the fights everyone avoids. Hunter fought the best and is up there. These are the fights I want to see, to show who is the best fighter out there. This is another big fight to prove he stand with the top three in the world heavyweight division.
    michael should have lost his last fight to journeyman jerry. michael also turned down a fight with filip hrgovic which would have been an ibf eliminator. michaels career is heading in the wrong direction

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hughie Fury could secure a WBA title bout with UK rival Daniel Dubois if he wins his eliminator against Michael Hunter next month, says promoter Ben Shalom.

If Fury wins his next fight with American opponent Michael Hunter, to be shown live on Sky Sports on July 2, he will target Dubois after that.

Dubois knocked out Trevor Bryan in Miami last weekend to net the WBA's secondary title (Oleksandr Usyk is the organisation's Super champion). Hunter was rated second in the WBA's most recent heavyweight rankings. A victory over the American next month would help Fury force a shot at the belt Dubois holds.

Hughie Fury to face Hunter in WBA title eliminatorHunter questions Fury's abilityMore boxing news and updates here
    "We feel that's a fight we want to make, we've been given assurances by the WBA that that is ordered, winner will fight winner," BOXXER promoter Ben Shalom explained. "We'll do our job [against Hunter] and the winner of Fury-Hunter will fight Dubois.

"Hughie wants the Daniel Dubois fight, he feels like he would have his number," he continued. "That's a fight we're looking to make."

Shalom is eyeing that fight for this autumn. But Fury must win on July 2 in Manchester.

"Michael Hunter is an extremely tough fight, I know how up for it he is, he's training extremely hard," Shalom warned. "You never see anybody calling out Michael Hunter. When he went to the 2012 Olympics it was widely considered he would go on and do amazing things in the sport.

"The fact that [Hughie] still wants the big fights and doesn't say 'I want an easy touch', he's fighting a guy that everybody avoids."

Hunter is a tricky opponent. He previously upset Martin Bakole, who recently beat Olympic gold medallist Tony Yoka, and could have come away with more than a draw when he fought Alexander Povetkin in 2019. The last man to beat him was none other than unified champion Oleksandr Usyk.

"With the Bakole win last week [and] Usyk reigning supreme in the heavyweight division, it just shows what a great fighter Michael Hunter is and can be," Shalom pointed out. "But Hughie is willing to take it on."

Victory will be a statement for Fury. "There was a lot of pressure on us to deliver for Hughie, he is a friend, a serious fighting man," Shalom said. "I feel like the criticism Hughie Fury gets is ridiculous given why do we want to stop fighters taking tough fights?

"He's a young heavyweight that has been in there with some of the best and the criticism he gets is incredible.

"I hope at one point people turn around and go, 'Look at his resume, look what he's done at his age' and he's still improving and I expect it to be an amazing fight between two fighters who have it all to gain and all to lose as well."

Hughie Fury will take on heavyweight rival Michael Hunter at the AO Arena Manchester on July 2, live on Sky Sports.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...5a9fd6ed75918f

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hughie is sick, the fight is postponed

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hughie Fury has fallen ill and will have to reschedule his heavyweight clash with Michael Hunter that was scheduled for next month.

The Manchester heavyweight was set for a hometown clash with Hunter that would have set the winner on their way to a shot at Daniel Dubois' newly-won WBA regular title. But the pair are now going to have to wait for their highly-anticipated meeting after the Brit pulled out with an illness.

Hunter, from Los Angeles, California, had relocated to the UK to train for the bout and enlisted the help of Joe Joyce for sparring going into the fight. The American has also trained in the past with Hughie's cousin; world heavyweight champion Tyson ahead of some of his biggest bouts.

As recently as last summer, Hunter was a part of Fury's preparations for his trilogy bout with Deontay Wilder, which was also postponed after a similar illness. The Brit was supposed to face Wilder last July, but moved his bout to October and ended up brutally knocking out his rival.

Neither have publicly commented on the fight cancellation as yet, but Hughie's dad and trainer Peter has apologised on his family's behalf, while Ben Shalom of BOXXER has also spoken of the fight being moved. There was a scheduled exhibition bout between Ricky Hatton and Marco Antonio Barrera being promoted by another company that night, which also appears to now be off.

“On behalf of myself and my son, we apologise to the fans but most of all to Hunter and his team," said Peter Fury. "Because like us, they’ve gone through a hard camp and this news is the last thing anyone in boxing wants to hear

“Hughie struggled on through the illness but physically broke down. We look forward to this fight being rescheduled as it’s a great fight for both men and for the fans around the world. Once again we apologise to everyone involved, but health is paramount in boxing.”

“Boxing fans all over the world have been looking forward to this fight and so have the two fighters," said Ben Shalom. "Nobody will be more disappointed than Hughie Fury and Michael Hunter by today’s news, but health is more important than anything. We wish Hughie a speedy recovery while we arrange a new date for this bout in Manchester.”

Shalom had recently claimed that he received "assurances" that the winner of Fury vs Hunter would be next for the newly-crowned Dubois. The Brit defeated Trevor Bryan in Miami over the weekend to be crowned WBA regular champion, while Oleksandr Usyk is the more widely recognised "super" champion.

"We feel that's a fight we want to make," Shalom told Sky Sports. "We've been given assurances by the WBA that that is ordered, winner will fight winner. We'll do our job [against Hunter] and the winner of Fury-Hunter will fight Dubois. Hughie wants the Daniel Dubois fight, he feels like he would have his number. That's a fight we're looking to make."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...elled-27240788

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Hughie Fury has fallen ill and will have to reschedule his heavyweight clash with Michael Hunter that was scheduled for next month.

The Manchester heavyweight was set for a hometown clash with Hunter that would have set the winner on their way to a shot at Daniel Dubois' newly-won WBA regular title. But the pair are now going to have to wait for their highly-anticipated meeting after the Brit pulled out with an illness.

Hunter, from Los Angeles, California, had relocated to the UK to train for the bout and enlisted the help of Joe Joyce for sparring going into the fight. The American has also trained in the past with Hughie's cousin; world heavyweight champion Tyson ahead of some of his biggest bouts.

As recently as last summer, Hunter was a part of Fury's preparations for his trilogy bout with Deontay Wilder, which was also postponed after a similar illness. The Brit was supposed to face Wilder last July, but moved his bout to October and ended up brutally knocking out his rival.

Neither have publicly commented on the fight cancellation as yet, but Hughie's dad and trainer Peter has apologised on his family's behalf, while Ben Shalom of BOXXER has also spoken of the fight being moved. There was a scheduled exhibition bout between Ricky Hatton and Marco Antonio Barrera being promoted by another company that night, which also appears to now be off.

“On behalf of myself and my son, we apologise to the fans but most of all to Hunter and his team," said Peter Fury. "Because like us, they’ve gone through a hard camp and this news is the last thing anyone in boxing wants to hear

“Hughie struggled on through the illness but physically broke down. We look forward to this fight being rescheduled as it’s a great fight for both men and for the fans around the world. Once again we apologise to everyone involved, but health is paramount in boxing.”

“Boxing fans all over the world have been looking forward to this fight and so have the two fighters," said Ben Shalom. "Nobody will be more disappointed than Hughie Fury and Michael Hunter by today’s news, but health is more important than anything. We wish Hughie a speedy recovery while we arrange a new date for this bout in Manchester.”

Shalom had recently claimed that he received "assurances" that the winner of Fury vs Hunter would be next for the newly-crowned Dubois. The Brit defeated Trevor Bryan in Miami over the weekend to be crowned WBA regular champion, while Oleksandr Usyk is the more widely recognised "super" champion.

"We feel that's a fight we want to make," Shalom told Sky Sports. "We've been given assurances by the WBA that that is ordered, winner will fight winner. We'll do our job [against Hunter] and the winner of Fury-Hunter will fight Dubois. Hughie wants the Daniel Dubois fight, he feels like he would have his number. That's a fight we're looking to make."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...elled-27240788
    Sounds like drugs or an STD...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information