Boxing Forums



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  111
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 379

Thread: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

Share/Bookmark
  1. #166
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    25,750
    Mentioned
    523 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1918
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    There are those in the majority that feel GGG is getting KTFO. I can see a good argument for that view. And a good question for that crowd as well. But before we get to that question, just think how much more of a "moral defeat" it would be for Canelo if he lost --- in however manner --- clearly getting KTFO by GGG would be more embarrassing than losing to GGG on points. Remember, we're just talking about the crushingness to Cinnamon's career/legacy here (not the probability of such). I think we can all agree that if GGG knocks Canelo into a glassy-eyed stupor or worse, that THAT would be the ultimate moral defeat. But on to the original question for the majority crowd: so Canelo knocks GGG out, huh? OK fair enough, but what round are we talking here? Are we talking a first round blast-out like Lennox vs Golota? A mid-rounds grind-down like say 6-7-8? Or a "take him out to the deep blue sea" 10-11-12 round smashing like Fury/Wilder 3?
    Does make you think about Canelo all but 'needing' to score the ko for complete full resolution to the trilogy and what if any level of extra pressure that creates. Let's be honest Canelo isn't exactly an all-out attacking force and hasn't been ashamed to coast on a lead or two. In fairness he does possess some calculating poise...but I wonder what irony and criticism of him simply taking a 12 round decision would open him up to. Especially since 101 year old Golovkin will be coming to the ring using a walker and a full-time nursing assistant after all. Surely, he won't go rounds let alone make the distance .

    I'm gonna be honest, Spicoli. Regardless of his usual M.O., I think Canelo comes wading in this time. He knows he's bigger than Golovkin. Hell... I'd be willing to bet on a healthy weight difference by fight time. He's taken Golovkin's shots before, and knows his own beard is fairly sturdy. He's worked himself up into a lather of dislike against GGG, to the point he's said he wants to end his career. (Mind you... GGG's career is already ending... but that's beside the point ). He knows he'll have the crowd behind him, the judges behind him, etc, etc. He's coming off an embarrassment against Bivol, and he's itching to get that sour taste out of his mouth (and his followers' mouths as well). IMO, this is a perfect storm scenario and... maybe I'm one of the few who see this... but everything is perfectly set up for a KTFO win for Canelo. Once it's over, Canelo's fans will be singing his praises, like it's some kind of legacy-building victory... while I'll be on my soapbox saying what I've always said. That this was nothing but a foregone conclusion.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    44,805
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    5001
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    There are those in the majority that feel GGG is getting KTFO. I can see a good argument for that view. And a good question for that crowd as well. But before we get to that question, just think how much more of a "moral defeat" it would be for Canelo if he lost --- in however manner --- clearly getting KTFO by GGG would be more embarrassing than losing to GGG on points. Remember, we're just talking about the crushingness to Cinnamon's career/legacy here (not the probability of such). I think we can all agree that if GGG knocks Canelo into a glassy-eyed stupor or worse, that THAT would be the ultimate moral defeat. But on to the original question for the majority crowd: so Canelo knocks GGG out, huh? OK fair enough, but what round are we talking here? Are we talking a first round blast-out like Lennox vs Golota? A mid-rounds grind-down like say 6-7-8? Or a "take him out to the deep blue sea" 10-11-12 round smashing like Fury/Wilder 3?
    Does make you think about Canelo all but 'needing' to score the ko for complete full resolution to the trilogy and what if any level of extra pressure that creates. Let's be honest Canelo isn't exactly an all-out attacking force and hasn't been ashamed to coast on a lead or two. In fairness he does possess some calculating poise...but I wonder what irony and criticism of him simply taking a 12 round decision would open him up to. Especially since 101 year old Golovkin will be coming to the ring using a walker and a full-time nursing assistant after all. Surely, he won't go rounds let alone make the distance .

    I'm gonna be honest, Spicoli. Regardless of his usual M.O., I think Canelo comes wading in this time. He knows he's bigger than Golovkin. Hell... I'd be willing to bet on a healthy weight difference by fight time. He's taken Golovkin's shots before, and knows his own beard is fairly sturdy. He's worked himself up into a lather of dislike against GGG, to the point he's said he wants to end his career. (Mind you... GGG's career is already ending... but that's beside the point ). He knows he'll have the crowd behind him, the judges behind him, etc, etc. He's coming off an embarrassment against Bivol, and he's itching to get that sour taste out of his mouth (and his followers' mouths as well). IMO, this is a perfect storm scenario and... maybe I'm one of the few who see this... but everything is perfectly set up for a KTFO win for Canelo. Once it's over, Canelo's fans will be singing his praises, like it's some kind of legacy-building victory... while I'll be on my soapbox saying what I've always said. That this was nothing but a foregone conclusion.
    We shall see my friend, we shall see. We'll, I guess we won't the night of because I'm def not paying for it . Not saying it won't happen exactly as you lay out..but it sure sets up a complete and total "nothing to gain and everything to lose" scenario for our lil bespeckled Ginger and his fanbase with the boatload of diva assumptions.

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Louisville,ky
    Posts
    1,419
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    887
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    I don't know why but I don't care about this fight at all.

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Uttar Pradesh, India
    Posts
    4,845
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    236
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    It's getting interesting though. Spicoli makes the great observation that that IS quite a bit of pressure on 'Clen to score the KO, and Tito also adds to that very same argument about 'Clen needing to get rid of that "sour taste in his mouth" of the Bivol embarrassment. A perfect storm, one could argue the flip side, for "Clen to overplay/overexert his hand and in his haste, well BOOM!, punches have been known to catch some off guard at the least expected moment. Let's be honest, how many times have we seen over-cocky fighters promising a KO, or itching so bad for one that they get blitzed in their haste? Good point about getting worked up "into a lather of dislike" too. That lather could depending on how lathery he has gotten himself really get him to take his eye off the ball just for a split second and the old wily street fight could, technically, strike at that right moment. We will see for sure. But the most BORING outcome here would be a "Clen UD or even SD. Even "Clen wouldn't be happy with that. So he could certainly in his zeal overplay his hand and that could spell unexpected disaster.

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63,892
    Mentioned
    1652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2985
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    Gennady Golovkin has reflected on his first fight with Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez as fight week starts to get underway ahead of their trilogy fight.

    Golovkin, 40, will face Canelo Alvarez, 32, for a third time in Las Vegas on September 17.

    The first fight between the pair at the T-Mobile Arena ended as a controversial draw in 2017 before the Mexican won the rematch via majority decision a year later.

    Golovkin will be back in action for the second time in five months after he regained the WBA (Super) middleweight title earlier this year with a win over Ryoto Murata.

    And he has spoken about his memories of their first fight as the hype starts to build ahead of their trilogy bout in a few days’ time.

    Reflecting on THAT Canelo punch in round nine, Golovkin told DAZN Boxing’s YouTube channel: “I remember that punch.

    “Well, I let it get through. You know, it wasn’t that… I don’t know what to call it, it wasn’t hard. It felt kind of like a slap or a sliding punch.

    “Well, it didn’t do too much.”

    Golovkin has frequently criticised the ‘terrible’ judging for robbing him of victory against Canelo all those years ago.

    It looked almost certain that Golovkin was going to be awarded the victory and retain his WBC, WBA and IBF middleweight titles in style as well as his undefeated record.

    However, the contest was controversially ruled a split draw with judge Adalaide Byrd bizarrely scoring it 118-110 in favour of Canelo.

    At the time the result was met with a chorus of boos from fans inside the T-Mobile Arena.

    And it seems Golovkin has never forgiven her for that decision as he insisted that ‘such actions should be punishable.’

    “I remember that feeling, when the judges announced the draw,” he continued.

    “I couldn’t believe that one of the judges could score it so badly in favour of my opponent.

    “How unfair can you be? How unfair to this sport? How can someone be so unbelievably inadequate and treat athletes in such a terrible way?

    “I think such actions should be punishable.”

    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...90088c50578092
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63,892
    Mentioned
    1652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2985
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    GENNADY GOLOVKIN was once so desperate to get a fight he was willing to put on a STONE to welcome all challengers.

    The terrifying Kazakh puncher made his professional debut in 2006 off the back of an Olympic silver winning amateur career.

    Golovkin went on a knockout rampage across Europe and South America before debuting Stateside in 2012.

    By that time, his reputation exceeded him due to his ferocious fists and finding willing challengers were few and far between.

    GGG was already champion at the 11st 6lb middleweight limit but he was ready to go as high as 12st 7lb at light-heavyweight just to find a match.

    Golovkin recalls to SunSport: “It was very hard, very difficult to get fights. We tried at 168, in 175 and people simply refused to fight.

    “I remember people like Canelo, they signed documents, paperwork and decided to strip belts in order not to fight me.

    “So no matter what people say right now, we still remember the time those people kept silent, wishing nobody would make them fight me.”

    Golovkin in 2016 got himself in a WBC mandatory position by winning their interim belt.

    It guaranteed himself a shot at Canelo Alvarez, until the Mexican superstar vacated the title a year after winning it against Miguel Cotto.

    Golovkin said: “He boxed Cotto and they signed an agreement, basically conceding to the fact that they were going to fight me, it was mandatory.

    “Then, they both refused.”

    Golovkin would have to wait another year to get Canelo in the ring, but he was left with further disappointment.

    The pair boxed to a contentious draw in 2017 although many felt GGG was robbed of a famous win.

    Their rematch a year later lived up to the billing but Canelo walked away with bragging rights in another razor thin decision.

    In the years since, he has established himself as boxing's top attraction, winning belts in four divisions.

    Meanwhile Golovkin, 40, has remained at middleweight, starved of a great trilogy with his arch rival.

    Canelo, 32, in 2021 became undisputed champion at super-middleweight but in May moved back up to light-heavy.

    Although it ended in defeat as Dmitry Bivol, 31, upset the odds to retain his WBA belt.

    It paved the way for Golovkin to finally get his crack at redemption, and will move up to 168lb to do so this weekend in Las Vegas live on DAZN.

    And GGG's trainer Johnathon Banks believes fans are in store for another treat only Canelo and GGG are capable of providing.

    Banks said: “I think the fight is going to be slightly different. I think Canelo is going to come in similar to the second fight, style-wise.

    “He’s going to come in hands up trying to walk him down and I think G is going to be right there, where he goes lateral or back, he’s going to be in position to punch.

    “I do think style-wise and temperament-wise and the way their workrate is, Triple G is one of the hardest fights for Canelo.

    “I think that’s why it took so long to get this fight back around for the third time, it was a really difficult fight

    “I think they both bring something out of each other, every fighter allows other fighters to do certain things.

    “But certain fighters make the other one excel a little bit more, and I think these two guys, it’s something about them that makes the other one a little bit more vicious.”

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19787...anelo-alvarez/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63,892
    Mentioned
    1652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2985
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    CANELO ALVAREZ is eyeing a Dmitry Bivol rematch after his trilogy fight with Gennady Golovkin.

    The Mexican superstar renews his rivalry with Golovkin this weekend in Las Vegas.

    And he does so off the back of a defeat to Bivol in May, when he failed in a WBA light-heavyweight title challenge.

    But despite moving back down to defend his undisputed super-middleweight crown, Canelo is ready to bulk up again for revenge.

    He told DAZN: "You take the risks, pick the best fights out there, you maybe lose one day.

    "But I am happy to take these kind of fights because they make me feel good.

    "I think my legacy is on the up with these kind of fights and I learn a lot.

    "I don't feel ashamed of that, because I trust myself to be great. I'm going to continue to do it.

    "I was in my prime when I lost to Bivol. Not in my weight class, but I think I can beat him easy. But things happen.

    "I won the first five or six rounds but then I got tired, that's what happened, but he's not better than me."

    Canelo, 32, won the WBO light-heavyweight title in 2019, knocking out Sergey Kovalev.

    But he then moved back down to super-middleweight, winning all four belts in the space of a year.

    His return to 175lb ended in a 12-round points loss to Bivol, 31, with Golovkin, 40, welcoming Canelo back at 168lb.

    The pair first drew in 2017 before Canelo won the rematch a year later.

    And after a lengthy wait, fans will finally get to see the bitter enemies share the ring once more after 24 epic rounds.

    Canelo added: "I think we had a really good two fights. People want the three fights.

    "For me in my mind, at the end of the second fight, that was the end of the fights with Golovkin. It's enough.

    "But the people want to know who is the best. He always says I'm not a good champion, I'm embarrassing for my country, but when he is in front of me he doesn't say anything.

    "That's why I'm mad. He's a good, difficult, strong fighter. One of the greatest of all time. Our styles are perfect for a good fight.

    "I think I'm more mature, more strong, have good experience, and I'm in my prime. That is going to be the difference.

    "I think it is going to be a good fight, but my goal is to end the fight before the 12 rounds. Nobody likes to lose, but losing is not an option for me."

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19788...olovkin-fight/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Uttar Pradesh, India
    Posts
    4,845
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    236
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    GGG has to do something different. He can't let Clenelo tee-off to his hips and kidneys and body. This will drain him after 6 rounds of that. At 40, he will start to wither from that body blitz. So he better try to get those angles and lateral stuff going early before Clenelo starts smoking. If GGG's face is puffy and reddened badly by the end of Round 3, and worse yet if he cuts early, it's going to get really really tough for him. He's in a tough spot. 40, sheesh, that is old for middleweight, really old. His arms, sometimes he can't get them moving in time to outspeed Canelo, he sometimes does not have his hands in punching position and then gets beat to the punch. I don't know about this.

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Uttar Pradesh, India
    Posts
    4,845
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    236
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    I just rewatched their first fight and even in that fight where GGG pretty clearly won on points, he was not throwing enough punches. It seems like he has a bit of a hitch and he doesn't get the punches off fast enough, whereas canelo really gets them off. That was 4 years ago and so he will definitely be a tad slower which does not bode well. Does anyone else notice he kind of hesitates just for a microsecond? I think canelo is aware of this and every time this happens canelo will throw a two punch combination and move to the side.

    The double edged sword though is that when GGG throws more punches with the knowledge he needs a knockout most likely, then that will leave him more open.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63,892
    Mentioned
    1652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2985
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    I just rewatched their first fight and even in that fight where GGG pretty clearly won on points, he was not throwing enough punches. It seems like he has a bit of a hitch and he doesn't get the punches off fast enough, whereas canelo really gets them off. That was 4 years ago and so he will definitely be a tad slower which does not bode well. Does anyone else notice he kind of hesitates just for a microsecond? I think canelo is aware of this and every time this happens canelo will throw a two punch combination and move to the side.

    The double edged sword though is that when GGG throws more punches with the knowledge he needs a knockout most likely, then that will leave him more open.
    The first fight was 5 years ago.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7,700
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    660
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    CANELO ALVAREZ is eyeing a Dmitry Bivol rematch after his trilogy fight with Gennady Golovkin.

    The Mexican superstar renews his rivalry with Golovkin this weekend in Las Vegas.

    And he does so off the back of a defeat to Bivol in May, when he failed in a WBA light-heavyweight title challenge.

    But despite moving back down to defend his undisputed super-middleweight crown, Canelo is ready to bulk up again for revenge.

    He told DAZN: "You take the risks, pick the best fights out there, you maybe lose one day.

    "But I am happy to take these kind of fights because they make me feel good.

    "I think my legacy is on the up with these kind of fights and I learn a lot.

    "I don't feel ashamed of that, because I trust myself to be great. I'm going to continue to do it.

    "I was in my prime when I lost to Bivol. Not in my weight class, but I think I can beat him easy. But things happen.

    "I won the first five or six rounds but then I got tired, that's what happened, but he's not better than me."

    Canelo, 32, won the WBO light-heavyweight title in 2019, knocking out Sergey Kovalev.

    But he then moved back down to super-middleweight, winning all four belts in the space of a year.

    His return to 175lb ended in a 12-round points loss to Bivol, 31, with Golovkin, 40, welcoming Canelo back at 168lb.

    The pair first drew in 2017 before Canelo won the rematch a year later.

    And after a lengthy wait, fans will finally get to see the bitter enemies share the ring once more after 24 epic rounds.

    Canelo added: "I think we had a really good two fights. People want the three fights.

    "For me in my mind, at the end of the second fight, that was the end of the fights with Golovkin. It's enough.

    "But the people want to know who is the best. He always says I'm not a good champion, I'm embarrassing for my country, but when he is in front of me he doesn't say anything.

    "That's why I'm mad. He's a good, difficult, strong fighter. One of the greatest of all time. Our styles are perfect for a good fight.

    "I think I'm more mature, more strong, have good experience, and I'm in my prime. That is going to be the difference.

    "I think it is going to be a good fight, but my goal is to end the fight before the 12 rounds. Nobody likes to lose, but losing is not an option for me."

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19788...olovkin-fight/
    Ok @TIC , you gave Canelo a pass for this fight because “it was always his plan” .
    So now, “his plan” is to fight Bivol next. Let’s see if it happens, but if it doesn’t, I look forward to your thoughts.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,935
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    941
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    Do we really care about this fight?

    Spence Vs Crawford is what we want.

    Canelo wins this on points anyway as he has the judges..unless GGG does a Bivol it’s not going his way!

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    63,892
    Mentioned
    1652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2985
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

    Who is on the Canelo vs Golovkin undercard?

    In the co-feature of the evening, Jesse Bam Rodriguez will defend his WBC super-flyweight title against Israel Gonzalez.

    Williams is also in an intriguing fight with British contender Kieron Conway.

    And veteran Gabe Rosado takes on Golovkin fighter Ali Akhmedov.

    Jesse “Bam” Rodriguez vs. Israel Gonzalez
    Ali Akhmedov vs. Gabriel Rosado
    Austin Williams vs. Kieron Conway
    Diego Pacheco vs. Enrique Collazo
    Marc Castro vs. Kevin Montiel Mendoza
    Aaron Aponte vs. Fernando Molina
    Anthony Herrera vs. Delvin McKinley

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19811...kin-undercard/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Uttar Pradesh, India
    Posts
    4,845
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    236
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22


  15. #180
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Uttar Pradesh, India
    Posts
    4,845
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    236
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-23-2018, 04:14 PM
  2. Gennady Golovkin vs Saul Alvarez
    By GaMo in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 09-18-2017, 01:34 AM
  3. Gennady Golovkin
    By Rantcatrat in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 10:08 AM
  4. Gennady Golovkin
    By Rantcatrat in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
  5. Gennady Golovkin
    By Mikkel_K in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 03:02 PM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Forum | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 Saddo Boxing - Boxing