Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  111
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

https://www.boxingscene.com/andre-wa...canelo--169454

Andre Ward: Golovkin 'Literally Just Showed Up To Get A Check' Against Canelo

You da man, Andre!

Saying it like it is. No holds barred. Glad to see someone speaking out on this sham of a fight, which I decried since it was announced on Day One. I like Golovkin... but this was nothing but a 40-year old man cashing in before riding off into the sunset. All talk about his next opponents is premature. Wait for the upcoming retirement announcement and speech. GGG just wanted one more heyday against an opponent he was never going to beat because he had EVERYTHING stacked against him... including AGE.

My favorite part of the article:

“I thought Alvarez should have stopped that version of Golovkin,” Ward said on Max on Boxing. “If Canelo is who he says he is, an all-time great, you got to take advantage of a fighter like that, who literally just showed up to get a check.

Classic!

"If Canelo is who he says he is..." I LOVE this guy!!

Ward thought what I thought going into the fight. It was going to be a knockout win for Ginger. But for all the fierce talk from Ginger and the angry staredowns and the claims that he was going to "end" GGG's career (how the hell do you end something that's already over??)..... Canelo totally UNDERWHELMED. GGG went in for the payday... and Ginger didn't make him pay.

I hope he gets into the ring with Bivol again. Hell... give Benavidez a chance. But I forgot... Ginger doesn't fight Mexicans.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I knew that canelo would not be able to knock out triple G because triple G would not like to end his stellar career in such an embarrassing fashion and I knew that triple G had enough guile and savvy and ring experience to avoid being knocked out. So I really don't know if canelo "should" have knocked him out, and I put the word should in quotation marks there, because although he should have done it after all his braggadocio, I don't really think it's possible to knock out a fighter as Wiley and slick as triple G if he is going to fight a fight so cautiously that you cannot really make it happen against him.

I have no problem thinking that triple G just went in there to collect a paycheck at the age of 40. But I think he also wanted to embarrass canelo and make him look rather ordinary and he certainly succeeded in that.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin did well considering his age, moving up weight and taking on someone who has beaten top undefeated super middleweights in the division.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Golovkin did well considering his age, moving up weight and taking on someone who has beaten top undefeated super middleweights in the division.

Yes he did. But when you have to qualify a compliment with "considering..." it points to something not quite right.

Professional sports are supposed to be competitions between two individuals (or teams) at their best. This way the winner can claim something meaningful. IMHO, Canelo can't claim diddly squat from this victory. This isn't me dumping on GGG. This is me dumping on Canelo (as usual). I like GGG. Hell... if I had the chance to have a trilogy fight against someone I knew I had no chance of beating... while making boo coo millions so I could ride off into the sunset a hell of a lot richer... I'd go for it. But Canelo groupies (and Ginger himself) will obviously claim some legacy defining victory over something that was a foregone conclusion. I personally don't watch sporting events where the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

I predicted a knockout win for Canelo. It didn't happen because obviously GGG has a hell of a chin... but also because Canelo UNDERPERFORMED. He gets an F for not being able to dispose of an opponent he went to great lengths to say how much he hated. Canelo had the youth, the weight, the judges, the system... he had EVERYTHING stacked in his favor (as usual)... and couldn't put away a 40-year old man.

By the way, usually when you tell someone "You look good considering your age"... it's usually regarded as a backhanded compliment.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I appreciate and accept your points Titofan.

Golovkin was beaten legitimately for the first time. Considering all the points I raised in my earlier post it was bitter sweet seeing a legend having to accept that he was just unable to beat Canelo.

Golovkin fought within himself and was never in trouble. Canelo did enough to win the majority of the early rounds when he picked up the pace and allowed Golovkin to win the latter rounds.

Whilst the standard of boxing was high there was no dramatic moments that made the 3rd fight a classic. It seemed they had a gentlemen's agreement to go through the motions and not hurt one another.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that's another good point there. It DID seem like some kind of a tacit gentleman's agreement, it DID seem a little underwhelming on BOTH fighters' parts. Fishy.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    that's another good point there. It DID seem like some kind of a tacit gentleman's agreement, it DID seem a little underwhelming on BOTH fighters' parts. Fishy.
    I do not think it was fixed type of fishy but just a "wink and nod" you do not hurt me and I will not hurt you. Like when Manny Pac and Shane Mosely fought each other and touched gloves at the start of every round. They went through the motions.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I predicted a knockout win for Canelo. It didn't happen because obviously GGG has a hell of a chin...
    ggg does have a hell of a chin, hasn't been knocked out yet
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"If Canelo is who he says he is..."
    andre just mad that canelo is already greater than him

give Benavidez a chance. But I forgot... Ginger doesn't fight Mexicans.
    is david b a mexican?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post

If you say so...

is david b a mexican?

He IS if that means Ginger can avoid him.

Ginger now saying he wants Bivol again. I actually hope he gets his wish. But at 175 again. Not some bullshit catchweight.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you say so...

is david b a mexican?

Ginger now saying he wants Bivol again. I actually hope he gets his wish. But at 175 again. Not some bullshit catchweight.
    yes i say so in my opinion. it was a yes or no question, david b was either born in mexico or he wasn't. where does david b tell us he was born? on the bullshit catchweight stuff, i heard talk that dmitry could possibly fight canelo at one sixty eight. looking from dmitry's side why shouldn't he get the opportunity to fight for undisputed in another division if he wants too?

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you say so...

is david b a mexican?

yes i say so in my opinion. it was a yes or no question, david b was either born in mexico or he wasn't. where does david b tell us he was born? on the bullshit catchweight stuff, i heard talk that dmitry could possibly fight canelo at one sixty eight. looking from dmitry's side why shouldn't he get the opportunity to fight for undisputed in another division if he wants too?
    I also hope Bivol fights Canelo at 168, because will beat him at that weight also! Then what’s team Canelo gonna say? cue the “Bivol on PEDs “ claim.
    And Canelo will NEVER EVER be greater than Ward. If the 2 ever fought, Ward would’ve won, very simple.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

If you say so...

is david b a mexican?

I also hope Bivol fights Canelo at 168, because will beat him at that weight also! Then what’s team Canelo gonna say? cue the “Bivol on PEDs “ claim.
    And Canelo will NEVER EVER be greater than Ward. If the 2 ever fought, Ward would’ve won, very simple.
    dmitry could beat canelo at one sixty eight, it's a very likely possibility. i said going into the first fight that dmitry was a difficult challenge & i think he can make super middle without weakening himself, so i feel dmitry will be just as difficult at one sixty eight. you'd have to ask team canelo what they would say. i'll just be happy seeing canelo take on another significant challenge. canelo will always be greater than andre in my opinion & i feel canelo would have beaten him

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andre Ward was unbeatable at super middleweight and faced far better fighters than Canelo did at the weight. He also faced a peak Kovalev who was a beast at light heavyweight at the time.

Ward would beat Canelo at these weights, but he was the smaller fighter so not a fair comparison.

Canelo would be the better pound for pound fighter as the equivalent would be Ward winning at cruiserweight or even heavyweight.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Andre Ward was unbeatable at super middleweight and faced far better fighters than Canelo did at the weight. He also faced a peak Kovalev who was a beast at light heavyweight at the time.

Ward would beat Canelo at these weights, but he was the smaller fighter so not a fair comparison.

Canelo would be the better pound for pound fighter as the equivalent would be Ward winning at cruiserweight or even heavyweight
    I gave your post a like, but I disagree with the part in bold.
    1. You say Canelo is a “smaller fighter”, but that doesn’t matter because SMW is his weight. He WAS a MW, but he is no longer and never ever will be. If they’re the same weight class , it doesn’t matter if he’s smaller, it’s his choice not to make MW.
    2. You say the equivalent would be Ward going to CW or HW. not true . The equivalent would be Ward going from SMW to LHW, WHICH HE DID! (He probably could’ve gone to CW as well.)
    3. Ward dominated SMW more than Canelo dominated MW or SMW. and by your admission, Ward achieved more at LHW than Canelo. So why is Canelo better p4p ?
    Let us not forget, Ward never lost, so we can only surmise as to whether X,Y or Z would beat him . Whereas Canelo has lost a couple of times , so we KNOW he can get beat.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Thread Information