Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  111
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    i'm not sure what the pet rock thing is about but can i ask you a genuine question titofan?

A subtle example of selling the unsellable.

"Hey... all GGG has to do is outbox Canelo with speed and defense. Just like Floyd Mayweather did when he shut out Canelo back in '13. He needs to use the blueprint Floyd provided to beat Canelo."

BTW, it wasn't directed at you.

Yeah... ask away.
    do you think this is the biggest fight for ggg to take next?

If by biggest you mean the one for which he gets paid the most, and gets the most media attention... then yes, absolutely.

TBH, I see this as a cash out fight.

GGG has had a long, distinguished career. Like everyone else, he has his fans and his detractors.

He fought Canelo twice before. I thought he got robbed the first time... and I think he fought stupidly the second time (something about doing things different if you want a different result).

IMO, there's no way he gets a decision against Canelo in Vegas. He won't dominate more than Bivol... and Bivol almost got screwed.

GGG's only way to victory is by knockout.

Canelo has already taken his best shots, and is now bigger and more in his prime. GGG is much older.

Personally, I think it's a mistake for GGG to have insisted on this fight. He's gonna lose.

But yes. It is the biggest fight he could take next.
    ggg also gets a shot at undisputed if canelo is his next fight, the only other option to fight for undisputed in his next fight would be to drop down & fight jermell. ggg would probably get shit for fighting a smaller man but if both championships were on the line it's a fight i'd be interested in. but ggg obviously took the bigger fight with canelo. so in your opinion the series is one a piece? i have it one a piece, so ggg also gets to try & settle the series. if you think ggg insisting on this fight is a mistake, who would of you preferred him to fight next? or would you have preferred him to retire?

Door # 3. Retirement. I'm sure he's not hurting for money, and he IS 40 years old. He gets to retire with his legacy intact. At some point you gotta hang up the gloves.

He's selling out in order to collect a few more million for the ignominy of getting knocked out to end his career.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'm not sure what the pet rock thing is about but can i ask you a genuine question titofan?

"Hey... all GGG has to do is outbox Canelo with speed and defense. Just like Floyd Mayweather did when he shut out Canelo back in '13. He needs to use the blueprint Floyd provided to beat Canelo."

Yeah... ask away.

If by biggest you mean the one for which he gets paid the most, and gets the most media attention... then yes, absolutely.

GGG has had a long, distinguished career. Like everyone else, he has his fans and his detractors.

He fought Canelo twice before. I thought he got robbed the first time... and I think he fought stupidly the second time (something about doing things different if you want a different result).

IMO, there's no way he gets a decision against Canelo in Vegas. He won't dominate more than Bivol... and Bivol almost got screwed.

Canelo has already taken his best shots, and is now bigger and more in his prime. GGG is much older.

Personally, I think it's a mistake for GGG to have insisted on this fight. He's gonna lose.

ggg also gets a shot at undisputed if canelo is his next fight, the only other option to fight for undisputed in his next fight would be to drop down & fight jermell. ggg would probably get shit for fighting a smaller man but if both championships were on the line it's a fight i'd be interested in. but ggg obviously took the bigger fight with canelo. so in your opinion the series is one a piece? i have it one a piece, so ggg also gets to try & settle the series. if you think ggg insisting on this fight is a mistake, who would of you preferred him to fight next? or would you have preferred him to retire?

Door # 3. Retirement. I'm sure he's not hurting for money, and he IS 40 years old. He gets to retire with his legacy intact. At some point you gotta hang up the gloves.

He's selling out in order to collect a few more million for the ignominy of getting knocked out to end his career.
    ggg has never been undisputed. winning would definitely enhance his legacy & a loss doesn't really hurt him in my opinion. he has to be the underdog coming in. i think ggg at forty still beats most guys around his weight class. i'd see him beating david benavidez at one sixty eight if they were fighting next. in his last fight after he shook of rust & warmed up ggg was brutal. i think ggg will surprise you in this third fight. i don't think ggg wins but i just hope we get a good tough fight
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah... ask away.

ggg has never been undisputed. winning would definitely enhance his legacy & a loss doesn't really hurt him in my opinion. he has to be the underdog coming in. i think ggg at forty still beats most guys around his weight class. i'd see him beating david benavidez at one sixty eight if they were fighting next. in his last fight after he shook of rust & warmed up ggg was brutal. i think ggg will surprise you in this third fight. i don't think ggg wins but i just hope we get a good tough fight

Yeah, I hope so too. One thing where I'm sure we differ, though. To me, it's a nothing fight for Canelo.

He beats GGG, he was SUPPOSED to.

He loses, his plunge off the p4p lists becomes steep.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah... ask away.

Yeah, I hope so too. One thing where I'm sure we differ, though. To me, it's a nothing fight for Canelo.

He beats GGG, he was SUPPOSED to.

He loses, his plunge off the p4p lists becomes steep.
    i definitely see this as more than a nothing fight for canelo. i'll give you avni & rocky in recent years as nothing fights but i still see ggg as dangerous. a loss for canelo depending on how could possibly push canelo down if not out of my pound for pound. so this is really a lose lose fight for canelo in your eyes? i'm just hoping for a good fight where we get to appreciate the talents both guys have to offer
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gennady Golovkin blames "certain substances" for Canelo Alvarez's anger towards rival
    Alvarez and Golovkin were seemingly on good terms heading into their first and second fights but the Mexican has scolded his rival ahead of their trilogy in September

Gennady Golovkin thinks Canelo Alvarez 's change in behaviour towards him ahead of their trilogy fight is a result of his failed drug test in 2018.

Alvarez defends his super-middleweight titles against Golovkin on September 17 as the rivals meet for a third time in Las Vegas. The trilogy comes four years after Alvarez won a majority decision in their rematch, with the pair fighting to a draw the year before that. Both of the fights between Alvarez and Golovkin have ended in controversial decisions as the pair look for a more decisive result in their trilogy.

Before his first and second fights against 'Triple G', Alvarez was seemingly on good terms with his opponent. Heading into the third fight has been a much different story, with Alvarez labelling Golovkin a " f****ng a**hole " and accusing him of being fake. Golovkin thinks Alvarez's outbursts are because of his two positive tests for the banned substance clenbuterol in 2018, which landed him a six-month suspension.

"I don’t even know how to explain it," Golovkin said of Alvarez's outbursts to Boxing Scene. "Maybe it’s just the side effects of certain substances in the body. But I treat it as a sporting event, nothing personal. But the words that he chooses to say are unexplainable. Inexplicable."

Alvarez claimed that he tested positive for the substance after eating contaminated meat in Mexico, stating that he didn't willingly cheat. "I didn't do anything intentionally. I didn't do anything to try to enhance my performance. I would never do anything like that. It was a mistake and nothing more, not educating myself about this problem in Mexico," he said.

Golovkin has only fought four times in the past four years whilst Alvarez has competed eight times during that period. Golovkin was doubtful a trilogy with Alvarez would ever happen because of issues surrounding the fight and despite turning 40 this year, the Kazakh said he has no plans of retirement just yet.

"At some point I stopped hoping that this fight was going to take place because there were certain obligations, contractual obligations, that were broken, there were some legal issues that came about, and then the pandemic began. I have three belts at 160lb, so the victory or the loss in this upcoming fights not going to affect my decision about when to retire. It’s about being honest with myself, listening to my body and to my mind."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...fight-27458335
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bam Rodriquez added to the undercard. His 4th fight in a years time and 2nd title defense v. credible Israel Gonzalez! For 22 years old this kid is streaking like a meteor.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Bam Rodriquez added to the undercard. His 4th fight in a years time and 2nd title defense v. credible Israel Gonzalez! For 22 years old this kid is streaking like a meteor.
    can't not like the activity of bam & this card will give him even more exposure

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing star Gennady Golovkin has explained why a win over Canelo Alvarez would be the biggest of his career.

Over the course of the last five years, the career of Gennady Golovkin has really been defined by one opponent: Canelo Alvarez. Fans and pundits alike had been talking about the possibility of them squaring off for a long time prior to their initial meeting which, as many of us know, ended in a controversial draw back in September 2017.

Then, just twelve months later, they fought in another absolute war of attrition with the Mexican sensation getting the nod on the judges’ scorecards.

Ever since then, GGG has been determined to prove that he’s still got what it takes to be a world class boxer at the highest level – despite seemingly being in the twilight of his career.

The veteran is 4-0 since losing to Canelo and his eyes are set firmly on finally beating his great rival to cap off an incredible run inside the squared circle.

During a recent interview with Las Vegas Review-Journal, Golovkin opened up on their impending trilogy fight and what a win would mean for his legacy.

“A lot of time has passed. We are different fighters now,” Golovkin said. “It’s the right approach to move on. Not to look back at the previous two fights and train with this idea that is a separate fight.

“I’m sure it’s not going to be an easy fight. My opponent is a champion, he has four belts, and he’s arguably the best fighter at that weight class. I’m jumping to the weight class for the first time and I’m fighting the best fighter in that class. Most likely I’ll feel fresh in that weight category. I think I’ll be ready for the physical standpoint. I think I’ll feel more comfortable in that weight class. On the other hand, I should say I feel extremely comfortable in my class. At 160.”

“It would be the biggest win in my career. It would be the best thing that happened. That would be very fulfilling,” Golovkin said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...4ee49774fe26c2

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he could knockout the softened-up-from-Bivol Canelo, it would indeed be his greatest win, given his age on top of it. Canelo took damage from Bivol and is softened up and ripe for the picking. Seeing as Canelo will always get the decision (unless blown out like by Bivol), GGG needs to knock Canelo back to the Clenbuterol Stand for some more tainted beef.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Boxing star Gennady Golovkin has explained why a win over Canelo Alvarez would be the biggest of his career.

Over the course of the last five years, the career of Gennady Golovkin has really been defined by one opponent: Canelo Alvarez. Fans and pundits alike had been talking about the possibility of them squaring off for a long time prior to their initial meeting which, as many of us know, ended in a controversial draw back in September 2017.

Then, just twelve months later, they fought in another absolute war of attrition with the Mexican sensation getting the nod on the judges’ scorecards.

Ever since then, GGG has been determined to prove that he’s still got what it takes to be a world class boxer at the highest level – despite seemingly being in the twilight of his career.

The veteran is 4-0 since losing to Canelo and his eyes are set firmly on finally beating his great rival to cap off an incredible run inside the squared circle.

During a recent interview with Las Vegas Review-Journal, Golovkin opened up on their impending trilogy fight and what a win would mean for his legacy.

“A lot of time has passed. We are different fighters now,” Golovkin said. “It’s the right approach to move on. Not to look back at the previous two fights and train with this idea that is a separate fight.

“I’m sure it’s not going to be an easy fight. My opponent is a champion, he has four belts, and he’s arguably the best fighter at that weight class. I’m jumping to the weight class for the first time and I’m fighting the best fighter in that class. Most likely I’ll feel fresh in that weight category. I think I’ll be ready for the physical standpoint. I think I’ll feel more comfortable in that weight class. On the other hand, I should say I feel extremely comfortable in my class. At 160.”

“It would be the biggest win in my career. It would be the best thing that happened. That would be very fulfilling,” Golovkin said.

GGG is a nice guy and a future HOFer in his own right.

But he's also one of the stupidest MOFOs in boxing.

Facing Ginger one more time, this time at 40 years of age...

Facing Ginger at a weight more suited to the bigger Ginger...

Facing Ginger in Las Vegas (aka: Gingerland), with Ginger judges...

Facing Ginger knowing a KO is the only chance he has of winning, yet Ginger has shown he can take GGG's punches, if nothing else...

GGG doesn't give a damn about losing to Ginger again.

He just wants that big payday so he can ride off into the sunset 10 times richer than he is now.

In doing so he's giving Ginger the opportunity to crow about another (cough) "legacy-defining" victory.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Facing Ginger knowing a KO is the only chance he has of winning, yet Ginger has shown he can take GGG's punches, if nothing else...

He just wants that big payday so he can ride off into the sunset 10 times richer than he is now.

In doing so he's giving Ginger the opportunity to crow about another (cough) "legacy-defining" victory.
    if caleb plant or david benavidez were fighting ggg next & won, would you consider it a legacy defining victory for them? or you think ggg is done?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Canelo will not get the credit and closure he wants by beating Golovkin for all the reasons you stated except maybe from the casuals. Triple G can not lose as he is the underdog and if he pulls this off it would be one of the greatest wins in history.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if caleb plant or david benavidez were fighting ggg next & won, would you consider it a legacy defining victory for them? or you think ggg is done?

I think the word "legacy" is thrown around a little loosely. I don't think about Plant and Benavidez having "legacies" to define just yet. M.O., of course.

And no... GGG is not "done". He is however, well on the downhill side of his mountain.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Canelo will not get the credit and closure he wants by beating Golovkin for all the reasons you stated except maybe from the casuals. Triple G can not lose as he is the underdog and if he pulls this off it would be one of the greatest wins in history.
    i think only casuals are dismissing ggg. he is a unified titleholder after all & his two fights with canelo were both very close in my opinion. ggg has slipped a bit but his last fight was coming of over a year's inactivity & once he shock of some rust he proceeded to beat down ryota. no none can run from age but there are other fighters who have performed well over forty. ggg unified at forty so let's see how he performs here. i also think too much is being made of the weight. personally i think ggg is a tough out for anyone around the weight. so therefore canelo must be pretty good if beating him would be one of the greatest wins in history?

Thread Information