Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  111
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

It seemed like Golovkin finally acknowledged the older fella in the mirror staring back at him. As much a case of GGG realising he couldn't maintain the intesity of the last few rounds as father time catching up and wrapping resistance bands around those arms, and filling up his boots with sand. It is sad in many ways as he should have had at least one win against Canelo as has been said, and because he really was avoided by many in his prime. Canelo made sure he kept busy but still didn't risk going all out for the stoppage and that is some measure of respect from a very dominant fighter in this era, even if not an all time great...yet.

There are still some great highlight stoppages from Golovkin even if they were not all against the best opposition. Stopping fighters as though they had walked into a swinging anvil,and punching at crazy weird angles ,clumping the top of heads and turning hooks into cannonballs. He really was something else, but his best days are certainly behind him.
    Last edited by Beanz; 09-19-2022 at 06:56 AM.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

been away trying to find some rounds to give to ggg. it wasn't pretty but it was clear cut. if ggg plans to stick around he should look at unifications at one sixty. i'd actually like to see canelo v artur after a rest up. bam got tested. current chocolatito would have beaten that bam
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    CANELO ALVAREZ is eyeing a Dmitry Bivol rematch after his trilogy fight with Gennady Golovkin.

The Mexican superstar renews his rivalry with Golovkin this weekend in Las Vegas.

And he does so off the back of a defeat to Bivol in May, when he failed in a WBA light-heavyweight title challenge.

But despite moving back down to defend his undisputed super-middleweight crown, Canelo is ready to bulk up again for revenge.

He told DAZN: "You take the risks, pick the best fights out there, you maybe lose one day.

"But I am happy to take these kind of fights because they make me feel good.

"I think my legacy is on the up with these kind of fights and I learn a lot.

"I don't feel ashamed of that, because I trust myself to be great. I'm going to continue to do it.

"I was in my prime when I lost to Bivol. Not in my weight class, but I think I can beat him easy. But things happen.

"I won the first five or six rounds but then I got tired, that's what happened, but he's not better than me."

Canelo, 32, won the WBO light-heavyweight title in 2019, knocking out Sergey Kovalev.

But he then moved back down to super-middleweight, winning all four belts in the space of a year.

His return to 175lb ended in a 12-round points loss to Bivol, 31, with Golovkin, 40, welcoming Canelo back at 168lb.

The pair first drew in 2017 before Canelo won the rematch a year later.

And after a lengthy wait, fans will finally get to see the bitter enemies share the ring once more after 24 epic rounds.

Canelo added: "I think we had a really good two fights. People want the three fights.

"For me in my mind, at the end of the second fight, that was the end of the fights with Golovkin. It's enough.

"But the people want to know who is the best. He always says I'm not a good champion, I'm embarrassing for my country, but when he is in front of me he doesn't say anything.

"That's why I'm mad. He's a good, difficult, strong fighter. One of the greatest of all time. Our styles are perfect for a good fight.

"I think I'm more mature, more strong, have good experience, and I'm in my prime. That is going to be the difference.

"I think it is going to be a good fight, but my goal is to end the fight before the 12 rounds. Nobody likes to lose, but losing is not an option for me."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19788...olovkin-fight/
    Ok @TIC , you gave Canelo a pass for this fight because “it was always his plan” .
    So now, “his plan” is to fight Bivol next. Let’s see if it happens, but if it doesn’t, I look forward to your thoughts.
    that was the plan i was aware of. dmitry first then ggg. regarding what happens next for canelo let's wait & see. i heard canelo was going to have surgery so i don't know when he'll be back. dmitry has zurdo in november. i'd actually prefer canelo to face david b or artur next. david b to basically cleanout one sixty eight & artur as he's number one for me at one seventy five & before artur hits the got old talk if not already around
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo has faced top opposition and it is starting to take its toll on him with cuts and injuries. He is getting paid very well but he does need to stay at the super middleweight limit if he realistically wants to have a long career.

The top 2 light heavyweights should take on one another before they push to face Canelo.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I took a few days to think about the fight and the main thing that I felt was, that is was very underwhelming from both fighters.

I knew GGG would step on it (more) in later rounds because even at this age he is still able to go into an extra gear (dig deeper) then Canelo and Canelo just looked bad those last rounds.
    But GGG looked very old and I was surprised that right from the start he was reacting to every little faint from Canelo. I thought that would be his undoing but Canelo never took advantage of this.
    Also, Canelo couldn't close in on GGG at any time. One, two steps backward is enough to diffuse any attack from Canelo. He can't follow and just swings (and misses) wildly.

I would consider myself a Canelo fan but I also believe I am objective and was not liking what I was seeing starting from the Saunders fight for a lot of reasons.
    He hardly moves his feet anymore, no combo's just every time (the same) power shots. Very limited punch selection and his stamina has just become horrible. He is really struggling to get through his fights now.
    And a hand injury is no excuse for lacking stamina. If at this point in his career his stamina is still this bad it will not improve anymore. I actually don't believe Canelo will last another 3-5 years in the sport. I honestly now believe any fighter with these three assets will beat him quite easily: excellent footwork, high output and good stamina.

Two other points:
    Reynoso is not a good trainer if you see the pro- or better regression of Canelo. He works on what Canelo likes to do or on his strengths. He ignores and neglects the same weaknesses he's had for years, his footwork and his stamina.

Canelo will never beat Bivol if not for a lucky punch that somehow this time will have an impact on him.
    If he really said what I read,
    I think I can beat him easy
    I won the first five or six rounds
    , sorry, he's seriously delusional.
    Bivol is faster, has a high output and he didn't even leave first gear the whole fight when Canelo was looking like McGregor vs Mayweather round 10.
    And on top of that, Bivol and his team analyzed Canelo to a TEE and they attacked him on all his weak points, from his stance, his balance, to him taking breaks between punching.
    If Canelo really goes through with a rematch he might get a beating that could damage his legacy, respect of his peers and longevity in the sport.
    Last edited by PerfectJab; 09-20-2022 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectJab View Post
    I took a few days to think about the fight and the main thing that I felt was, that is was very underwhelming from both fighters.

I knew GGG would step on it (more) in later rounds because even at this age he is still able to go into an extra gear (dig deeper) then Canelo and Canelo just looked bad those last rounds.
    But GGG looked very old and I was surprised that right from the start he was reacting to every little faint from Canelo. I thought that would be his undoing but Canelo never took advantage of this.
    Also, Canelo couldn't close in on GGG at any time. One, two steps backward is enough to diffuse any attack from Canelo. He can't follow and just swings (and misses) wildly.

I would consider myself a Canelo fan but I also believe I am objective and was not liking what I was seeing starting from the Saunders fight for a lot of reasons.
    He hardly moves his feet anymore, no combo's just every time (the same) power shots. Very limited punch selection and his stamina has just become horrible. He is really struggling to get through his fights now.
    And a hand injury is no excuse for lacking stamina. If at this point in his career his stamina is still this bad it will not improve anymore. I actually don't believe Canelo will last another 3-5 years in the sport. I honestly now believe any fighter with these three assets will beat him quite easily: excellent footwork, high output and good stamina.

Two other points:
    Reynoso is not a good trainer if you see the pro- or better regression of Canelo. He works on what Canelo likes to do or on his strengths. He ignores and neglects the same weaknesses he's had for years, his footwork and his stamina.

Canelo will never beat Bivol if not for a lucky punch that somehow this time will have an impact on him.
    Bivol is faster, has a high output and he didn't even leave first gear the whole fight when Canelo was looking like McGregor vs Mayweather round 10.
    And on top of that, Bivol and his team analyzed Canelo to a TEE and they attacked him on all his weak points, from his stance, his balance, to him taking breaks between punching.
    If Canelo really goes through with a rematch he might get a beating that could damage his legacy, respect of his peers and longevity in the sport.
    Perfect post. I could not agree more with any of those points. I really thought like canelo did not look good at all although he still does have his explosive power. And you're right his punch selection seems like it has been reduced. And he does seem to be getting worse and worse with his stamina.

I also agree with Master that the wear and tear is starting to show on canelo. I say if he has one more grueling fight at light heavyweight that will be the end of his career even if he wins it. It seems like his last two fights something is really starting to show. And it isn't good

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    CANELO ALVAREZ is eyeing a Dmitry Bivol rematch after his trilogy fight with Gennady Golovkin.

The Mexican superstar renews his rivalry with Golovkin this weekend in Las Vegas.

And he does so off the back of a defeat to Bivol in May, when he failed in a WBA light-heavyweight title challenge.

But despite moving back down to defend his undisputed super-middleweight crown, Canelo is ready to bulk up again for revenge.

He told DAZN: "You take the risks, pick the best fights out there, you maybe lose one day.

"I don't feel ashamed of that, because I trust myself to be great. I'm going to continue to do it.

"I was in my prime when I lost to Bivol. Not in my weight class, but I think I can beat him easy. But things happen.

"I won the first five or six rounds but then I got tired, that's what happened, but he's not better than me."

Canelo, 32, won the WBO light-heavyweight title in 2019, knocking out Sergey Kovalev.

But he then moved back down to super-middleweight, winning all four belts in the space of a year.

His return to 175lb ended in a 12-round points loss to Bivol, 31, with Golovkin, 40, welcoming Canelo back at 168lb.

And after a lengthy wait, fans will finally get to see the bitter enemies share the ring once more after 24 epic rounds.

Canelo added: "I think we had a really good two fights. People want the three fights.

"For me in my mind, at the end of the second fight, that was the end of the fights with Golovkin. It's enough.

"But the people want to know who is the best. He always says I'm not a good champion, I'm embarrassing for my country, but when he is in front of me he doesn't say anything.

"That's why I'm mad. He's a good, difficult, strong fighter. One of the greatest of all time. Our styles are perfect for a good fight.

"I think I'm more mature, more strong, have good experience, and I'm in my prime. That is going to be the difference.

"I think it is going to be a good fight, but my goal is to end the fight before the 12 rounds. Nobody likes to lose, but losing is not an option for me."

Ok @TIC , you gave Canelo a pass for this fight because “it was always his plan” .
    So now, “his plan” is to fight Bivol next. Let’s see if it happens, but if it doesn’t, I look forward to your thoughts.
    that was the plan i was aware of. dmitry first then ggg. regarding what happens next for canelo let's wait & see. i heard canelo was going to have surgery so i don't know when he'll be back. dmitry has zurdo in november. i'd actually prefer canelo to face david b or artur next. david b to basically cleanout one sixty eight & artur as he's number one for me at one seventy five & before artur hits the got old talk if not already around
    All the injury talk came up after the fight. Before the fight “the plan” was to fight Bivol. If that’s the plan, you gotta stick with it.
    That’s what you said when he fought the old fat guy at the weekend.
    As for fighting Beterbiev, who you believe is #1, what gives Canelo the right to fight the #1 , when he lost convincingly to “#2” ?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even the judges turned against him

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All three judges had Saul winning five rounds which were 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7. Golovkin won only two round 8 and 12 from the three judges.

The 5 disputed rounds where the judges were split but the majority went to Golovkin which were round 1, 10, and 11 and Canelo won 6 and 9.

This makes it a close 7-5 (115-113) fight.

Dazn had Canleo winning the first 8 rounds which was ridiculous. Golovkin best round was round 9 but two judges scored it for Alvarez. It seems the judges were overcompensating against Canelo to try and look fair but still ensure he got the decision.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All the injury talk came up after the fight. Before the fight “the plan” was to fight Bivol. If that’s the plan, you gotta stick with it.
    As for fighting Beterbiev, who you believe is #1, what gives Canelo the right to fight the #1 , when he lost convincingly to “#2” ?
    so there is injury talk? do you have confirmation on when canelo will be back? i don't. i agree the plan before the ggg fight was to rematch dmitry at one seventy five. now things have changed a bit depending on when canelo is back. there is also i assume the difference of the contracts i guess. canelo agreed to the dmitry first & the ggg deal. i'm not sure on the dmitry rematch clause but judging by how things have gone i guess it is canelo's choice if he enforces it. dmitry has zurdo in november, i expect dmitry to win that. artur is supposed to fight in january. if canelo is going to be out until next september, i would like to see artur v dmitry if possible if that's the case. i didn't say canelo had a right to face artur next. i said i'd prefer to see canelo face artur next

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectJab View Post

Two other points:

posting like a veteran already

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

so there is injury talk? do you have confirmation on when canelo will be back? i don't. i agree the plan before the ggg fight was to rematch dmitry at one seventy five. now things have changed a bit depending on when canelo is back. there is also i assume the difference of the contracts i guess. canelo agreed to the dmitry first & the ggg deal. i'm not sure on the dmitry rematch clause but judging by how things have gone i guess it is canelo's choice if he enforces it. dmitry has zurdo in november, i expect dmitry to win that. artur is supposed to fight in january. if canelo is going to be out until next september, i would like to see artur v dmitry if possible if that's the case. i didn't say canelo had a right to face artur next. i said i'd prefer to see canelo face artur next
    And I’d prefer Bivol v Beterbiev. 1 v 2 (whichever anyone believes is 1 & 2) Canelo is just a bystander at LHW. Leave it to the big boys.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I’d prefer Bivol v Beterbiev. 1 v 2 (whichever anyone believes is 1 & 2) Canelo is just a bystander at LHW. Leave it to the big boys.
    i'd also prefer artur v dmitry. i don't think canelo is at his best at one seventy five but there are real challenges there for him

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bivol v Beterbiev should face one another first and become undisputed. They are the big boys but will look like bullies not facing the biggest challenges in their own weight and waiting for Canelo.

Canelo should not move up until they do.
    Last edited by Master; 09-23-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bivol v Beterbiev should face one another first and become undisputed. They are the big boys but will look like bullies not facing the biggest challenges in their own weight and waiting for Canelo.

Canelo should not move up until they do.
    If canela moves up he will get slaughtered like a lamb

Thread Information