Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  111
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin III 17/9/22

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    whats the argument being made, that Canelo is (or isnt?) a bona fide middleweight? Honestly trying to follow it here.

Honest question. I'll answer it as best I can.

The real point of the argument is that I claim GGG has a distinct disadvantage against Ginger because he's never been a bonafide super middle.

TIC argues that GGG has no such disadvantage, because GGG has fought at super middle.

I counter that having fought ONE fight at 163 hardly makes him a bonafide super middle... and thus the disadvantage argument holds.

TIC latches onto my having said that GGG has never fought at super middle as a mistake (pretty much like a dog with a bone)... and uses that technicality to try and build his argument that GGG is a legitimate super middle and thus a threat to Ginger. (Perfect example of Flawed Reasoning).

In reality, TIC is now more focused on my mistake, rather than the real point of the argument which is what I mentioned earlier.

It explains why none of the veterans here like to argue anything with TIC.
    the real point of the argument is that you think ggg is over the hill & i don't think ggg has slipped to that degree. i have already agree that canelo will probably have a size advantage come fight night. your claim, the fact is ggg has fought at one sixty for his entire career. is wrong. i have never said ggg is a legitimate super middleweight but i do believe ggg is a threat to canelo or anyone from one fifty four to one sixty eight fighting ggg at one sixty or one sixty eight
    (cut/paste)

And I'll reiterate my points as to why GGG is a walk in the park for Ginger, and why Ginger gets no credit from me for beating GGG this time around.

1. GGG is not a bonafide super middle. He fought exactly ONE fight at 163, which demostrates he's not comfortable at 168. Meanwhile, Ginger has TWICE fought at 175, and is perfectly suited to fight at 168, his true weight. It's a size mismatch.
    2. GGG is 40 years old. Clear to everyone except deluded casual fans as being significantly beyond one's peak, especially at weights lower than heavyweight.
    3. Ginger has lost exactly TWO decisions in Vegas. (This time I said it right, lest TIC latch onto a keyboard mistake to further his argument). One was against Floyd, who gave him a shutout and still managed to get only a majority decision, thanks to one of Ginger's judges. The other was Bivol, who gave Ginger a comprehensive boxing lesson and the judges still managed to score it closer than it should have been.
    4. GGG was already robbed against Ginger. To expect to win a decision with Ginger's judges firmly in tow, is being pretty unrealistic. GGG's only chance is by KO, and Ginger's chin is already a proven commodity.

You're welcome.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But I can see where TIC has managed to make GGG seem like a threat to Ginger in this fight. The poll currently stands at 4-3 in favor of a GGG victory.

Now when Ginger KO's GGG it'll be seen as a grand achievement.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

whats the argument being made, that Canelo is (or isnt?) a bona fide middleweight? Honestly trying to follow it here.

Honest question. I'll answer it as best I can.

The real point of the argument is that I claim GGG has a distinct disadvantage against Ginger because he's never been a bonafide super middle.

TIC argues that GGG has no such disadvantage, because GGG has fought at super middle.

I counter that having fought ONE fight at 163 hardly makes him a bonafide super middle... and thus the disadvantage argument holds.

TIC latches onto my having said that GGG has never fought at super middle as a mistake (pretty much like a dog with a bone)... and uses that technicality to try and build his argument that GGG is a legitimate super middle and thus a threat to Ginger. (Perfect example of Flawed Reasoning).

In reality, TIC is now more focused on my mistake, rather than the real point of the argument which is what I mentioned earlier.

It explains why none of the veterans here like to argue anything with TIC.
    the real point of the argument is that you think ggg is over the hill & i don't think ggg has slipped to that degree. i have already agree that canelo will probably have a size advantage come fight night. your claim, the fact is ggg has fought at one sixty for his entire career. is wrong. i have never said ggg is a legitimate super middleweight but i do believe ggg is a threat to canelo or anyone from one fifty four to one sixty eight fighting ggg at one sixty or one sixty eight
    (cut/paste)

And I'll reiterate my points as to why GGG is a walk in the park for Ginger, and why Ginger gets no credit from me for beating GGG this time around.

1. GGG is not a bonafide super middle. He fought exactly ONE fight at 163, which demostrates he's not comfortable at 168. Meanwhile, Ginger has TWICE fought at 175, and is perfectly suited to fight at 168, his true weight. It's a size mismatch.
    2. GGG is 40 years old. Clear to everyone except deluded casual fans as being significantly beyond one's peak, especially at weights lower than heavyweight.
    3. Ginger has lost exactly TWO decisions in Vegas. (This time I said it right, lest TIC latch onto a keyboard mistake to further his argument). One was against Floyd, who gave him a shutout and still managed to get only a majority decision, thanks to one of Ginger's judges. The other was Bivol, who gave Ginger a comprehensive boxing lesson and the judges still managed to score it closer than it should have been.
    4. GGG was already robbed against Ginger. To expect to win a decision with Ginger's judges firmly in tow, is being pretty unrealistic. GGG's only chance is by KO, and Ginger's chin is already a proven commodity.

You're welcome.
    you believe ggg will be a walk in the park for canelo & you won't give canelo any credit if canelo beats ggg this time around. i have never said ggg is a bonafide super middle. i feel differently but we won't know until the fight is over. i feel you are making it out to be a walk in the park for canelo so that if canelo does struggle or lose then you can crow about canelo losing or struggling against a fighter you believed to be over the hill. i have never said ggg is a bonafide super middle & i don't think anyone else has either in this thread. that is an argument you have made up to attack. i just corrected your claim, the fact is ggg has fought at one sixty for his entire career. ggg only having fought at super middleweight one time only demonstrates he has only fought at super middleweight one time. where's your proof to back up that ggg is not comfortable at super middleweight? canelo has fought at twice at light heavyweight & is probably better acclimatized to super middleweight than ggg. if canelo makes the weight at the weigh in then the fight is a super middle, canelo will probably have a size advantage but i disagree that it is a size mis match. ggg is forty & i have already said he is not in his prime & has slipped but i wouldn't call ggg over the hill, he is still performing at a high level & is a difficult fight for anyone around the weight. canelo has lost two decisions in vegas. i thought ggg won the first fight but thought canelo one the second. i don't think it's unrealistic to expect to win a decision against canelo, dmitry just did it in canelo's last fight. i also disagree that ggg's only chance is by knockout. canelo's chin is already a proven commodity
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But I can see where TIC has managed to make GGG seem like a threat to Ginger in this fight. The poll currently stands at 4-3 in favor of a GGG victory.

Now when Ginger KO's GGG it'll be seen as a grand achievement.

you think i have that much control over other people? i have already said i will call a canelo victory very good win, i won't see it as a grand achievement
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sheesh, this is getting complicated. Thanks for the breakdown of your points (the 4 points) Tito, and answering my question. I see what you're saying, and it looks as if the dispute is mostly about 163. And what it implies. From what I can see you two are actually in agreement on most of the points. Mainly that Canelo has proven his chin and that triple G is clearly not exactly, to put it gently, a young spring chicken.

I hope that triple G will get a knock out out of pure desperation and go out on his shield one way or the other, not just because of the judges, which is a significant factor in Cinnamon Town, but because I think he will be fighting for his legacy here and just may put on a career ending performance that startles everyone. It's just probably wishful thinking to be honest. It would be an incredible performance if he could do it, and the odds are not in his favor.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sheesh, this is getting complicated. Thanks for the breakdown of your points (the 4 points) Tito, and answering my question. I see what you're saying, and it looks as if the dispute is mostly about 163. And what it implies. From what I can see you two are actually in agreement on most of the points. Mainly that Canelo has proven his chin and that triple G is clearly not exactly, to put it gently, a young spring chicken.

I hope that triple G will get a knock out out of pure desperation and go out on his shield one way or the other, not just because of the judges, which is a significant factor in Cinnamon Town, but because I think he will be fighting for his legacy here and just may put on a career ending performance that startles everyone. It's just probably wishful thinking to be honest. It would be an incredible performance if he could do it, and the odds are not in his favor.

Yep. TIC puts more importance on GGG's lone fight at 163 (couldn't even muster getting up to 168 ) than I do. I see it as an insignificant data point in the argument of where GGG belongs weight-wise.

And yep... I put more weight on GGG's advanced age than TIC does. Matter of opinion, of course.

Hey, I also hope GGG pulls off the miracle against all odds and beats Ginger. It would be an early Xmas present for me. But to me, it's 0.000000001 percent probable.

If GGG were to beat Ginger this time around, with the age factor, size, Vegas judges, and other things stacked against him.... well.... it would rank right up there with one of the greatest feats in modern boxing history.

IMO, GGG should be a humongous underdog.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there is no dispute about one sixty three, the issue is with titofan's claim, the fact is ggg has fought at one sixty for his entire career. what weight division is one sixty three nosavingbythebell?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep. TIC puts more importance on GGG's lone fight at 163 (couldn't even muster getting up to 168 ) than I do. I see it as an insignificant data point in the argument of where GGG belongs weight-wise.

And yep... I put more weight on GGG's advanced age than TIC does. Matter of opinion, of course.

Hey, I also hope GGG pulls off the miracle against all odds and beats Ginger. It would be an early Xmas present for me. But to me, it's 0.000000001 percent probable.

If GGG were to beat Ginger this time around, with the age factor, size, Vegas judges, and other things stacked against him.... well.... it would rank right up there with one of the greatest feats in modern boxing history.

IMO, GGG should be a humongous underdog.
    i put no importance on ggg's lone fight at super middleweight. i am only highlighting that your claim, the fact is ggg has fought at one sixty for his entire career. is wrong. in your opinion ggg should be a humongous underdog, unfortunately the odds don't reflect that

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there is no dispute about one sixty three, the issue is with titofan's claim, the fact is ggg has fought at one sixty for his entire career. what weight division is one sixty three nosavingbythebell?
    well here's what I got:

".......professional governing bodies now recognize a total of 17 weight classes, which had their current names established by the major boxing organizations in 2015. The upper limits of these classes are delimited as follows:

minimumweight, 105 pounds (48 kg)
    light flyweight, 108 pounds (49 kg)
    flyweight, 112 pounds (51 kg)
    super flyweight, 115 pounds (52 kg)
    bantamweight, 118 pounds (53.5 kg)
    super bantamweight, 122 pounds (55 kg)
    featherweight, 126 pounds (57 kg)
    super featherweight, 130 pounds (59 kg)
    lightweight, 135 pounds (61 kg)
    super lightweight, 140 pounds (63.5 kg)
    welterweight, 147 pounds (67 kg)
    super welterweight, 154 pounds (70 kg)
    middleweight, 160 pounds (72.5 kg)
    super middleweight, 168 pounds (76 kg)
    light heavyweight, 175 pounds (79 kg)
    cruiserweight, 200 pounds (91 kg)
    heavyweight, unlimited......"

So, for me it looks like 163 is between the upper limit allowed for middleweight and super middleweight. I'm not too "up" on this as you guys are, wouldnt that be considered a "catch weight", like Canelo used to always demand to fight at?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well here's what I got:

".......professional governing bodies now recognize a total of 17 weight classes, which had their current names established by the major boxing organizations in 2015. The upper limits of these classes are delimited as follows:

So, for me it looks like 163 is between the upper limit allowed for middleweight and super middleweight. I'm not too "up" on this as you guys are, wouldnt that be considered a "catch weight", like Canelo used to always demand to fight at?

Let's not rain on TIC's parade. Within my argument that GGG is no super middleweight and is at a huge disadvantage size-wise against Ginger who's fought at 175.... TIC has chosen to focus on my omission of GGG fighting ONCE at 163.

While technically that is above the MW limit... it's a nitpicky little detail that lends nothing to the argument being made.

GGG has BASICALLY fought his entire career at middleweight and I will continue saying that, regardless of the fact that he fought one obscure fight against Rolls at 3 pounds over the MW limit, which technically falls into the super middle category.

Give TIC a little star and a smiley face to paste on his notebook and let's move on, shall we?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well here's what I got:

i was a catchweight of one sixty four, fought in the super middleweight division. if it's above one sixty it can't be middleweight

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well here's what I got:

Let's not rain on TIC's parade. Within my argument that GGG is no super middleweight and is at a huge disadvantage size-wise against Ginger who's fought at 175.... TIC has chosen to focus on my omission of GGG fighting ONCE at 163.

While technically that is above the MW limit... it's a nitpicky little detail that lends nothing to the argument being made.

GGG has BASICALLY fought his entire career at middleweight and I will continue saying that, regardless of the fact that he fought one obscure fight against Rolls at 3 pounds over the MW limit, which technically falls into the super middle category.

Give TIC a little star and a smiley face to paste on his notebook and let's move on, shall we?
    you claimed, the fact is ggg has fought at one sixty for his entire career. that claim is wrong. i agree that ggg has basically fought his entire career at middleweight. that is a different claim that you said was a fact. we could have moved on pages ago but you refuse to deal in actual facts

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well here's what I got:

you claimed, the fact is ggg has fought at one sixty for his entire career. that claim is wrong. i agree that ggg has basically fought his entire career at middleweight. that is a different claim that you said was a fact. we could have moved on pages ago but you refuse to deal in actual facts

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well here's what I got:

don't claim things are a fact when they are not. you will continue to do so & i'll be right here to pull you up

Thread Information