Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you’re Haney, who do you want?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If you’re Haney, who do you want?

Undisputed lightweight champion Devin Haney has explained why he’s not pushing for a fight against Ryan Garcia.

At this moment in time, there are very few divisions across both major combat sports that are as exciting as lightweight in professional boxing. There are so many elite level fighters just waiting for the chance to prove themselves to the watching world, and right now, Devin Haney sits at the top of the mountain as the undisputed king.

He holds The Ring, WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and WBC titles following his one-sided triumph over George Kambosos Jr in Australia last weekend. Now, as is the nature of the game, the focus has swiftly turned toward what’s going to be next for the 23-year-old.

Big match-ups against Vasiliy Lomachenko and Gervonta Davis have been suggested but during a recent interview with Ariel Helwani, Haney was questioned about the possibility of a meeting with Ryan Garcia.

The two men have fought multiple times on the amateur scene with both picking up a few wins. In the present day, though, it isn’t a particularly appealing idea for Haney.

“He’s popular but at the end of the day, I’m chasing legacy. I don’t care about Instagram followers or anything like that. I want to make the biggest fights happen for my legacy more than anything. Instagram followers, I mean that’s cool and all, but I’m not into fighting for followers. I’m into fighting for belts and legacies, for my name to live on

While the social media presence of Ryan Garcia is certainly noteworthy, the real headline should be his fantastic boxing ability.

At 22-0 he already has 18 knockouts to his name and on July 16, he’ll head back into the ring for the second time in just a matter of months to take on Javier Fortuna.

With a record of 37–3–1 (2), you could definitely argue that Fortuna isn’t enough of a step up in competition for Garcia. At the same time, there’s a good chance this is one of the final times we see the youngster prior to him fighting for a belt.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...39b19546277bf7
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Devin Haney made be the undisputed champion of the lightweight division but it could be argued that he isn't the best. The American comfortably outpointed George Kambosos Jr to win the WBA, IBF and WBO belts to his WBC title but he is yet to fight other standout opponents, including Vasyl Lomachenko, Ryan Garcia and Gervonta Davis. The last two names are the ones that standout commercially, and a fight between Garcia and Tank has been spoken about for some time. With Davis currently a free agent, it could be the biggest chance of making a super fight with Garcia.

De La Hoya - who also promotes Jaime Munguia - claims he will put an offer in to stage the fight later this year.

"Tank, I know you had your last fight with Floyd Mayweather, and I respect Floyd Mayweather, and think he did a tremendous job with your career," De La Hoya told TMZ. "But, I'm ready to offer you a multi, multi, multi, multi-million-dollar offer to fight Ryan Garcia. It'll be the biggest purse that Tank Davis has ever made. "We're ready and willing to split broadcasters, meaning we can have this fight on Showtime PPV and The Zone PPV. "Let's make this fight happen. "Everyone makes a s**tload of money and we give the fight fans what they want to see."

De La Hoya formed Golden Boy Promotions in 2002 while he was still fighting and staged his most lucrative fight against Floyd Mayweather before going on to promote Bernard Hopkins, Deontay Wilder and Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez fights.

Despite his stable not being what it once was, the former six-division world champion claims the promotional company is worth eight figures. "I'm sitting on a billion-dollar company," De La Hoya, 49, told ESPN. "And I can't wait to get rid of it. And most importantly, I can't wait to be the very first fighter ever to be inducted into the Hall of Fame as a promoter as well. These are goals that I have." "We're sitting on a gold mine. When I'm ready to get out, the time will come. But in the meantime, that's the reason I want to make these big fights happen. "It's crucial. It's crucial for the sport. It's crucial for my company. It's crucial, most importantly, for the fan base."

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I were him, I would want the Tank Davis fight.

Tank has a cereal packet trinket which needs mopping up, plus he's potentially the best of the lot & guarantees a big PPV receipt.

I'm really hoping he can get round this rematch clause somehow.

Kambosos did not do enough to warrant an immediate rematch & he's not a big enough name like Canelo to demand one either.

135 is smoking right now & there's so many mouth-watering fights that could be made in lieu of watch Haney jab George Kambosos's head into oblivion again.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Undisputed lightweight champion Devin Haney has explained why he’s not pushing for a fight against Ryan Garcia.

At this moment in time, there are very few divisions across both major combat sports that are as exciting as lightweight in professional boxing. There are so many elite level fighters just waiting for the chance to prove themselves to the watching world, and right now, Devin Haney sits at the top of the mountain as the undisputed king.

He holds The Ring, WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and WBC titles following his one-sided triumph over George Kambosos Jr in Australia last weekend. Now, as is the nature of the game, the focus has swiftly turned toward what’s going to be next for the 23-year-old.

Big match-ups against Vasiliy Lomachenko and Gervonta Davis have been suggested but during a recent interview with Ariel Helwani, Haney was questioned about the possibility of a meeting with Ryan Garcia.

The two men have fought multiple times on the amateur scene with both picking up a few wins. In the present day, though, it isn’t a particularly appealing idea for Haney.

“He’s popular but at the end of the day, I’m chasing legacy. I don’t care about Instagram followers or anything like that. I want to make the biggest fights happen for my legacy more than anything. Instagram followers, I mean that’s cool and all, but I’m not into fighting for followers. I’m into fighting for belts and legacies, for my name to live on

While the social media presence of Ryan Garcia is certainly noteworthy, the real headline should be his fantastic boxing ability.

At 22-0 he already has 18 knockouts to his name and on July 16, he’ll head back into the ring for the second time in just a matter of months to take on Javier Fortuna.

With a record of 37–3–1 (2), you could definitely argue that Fortuna isn’t enough of a step up in competition for Garcia. At the same time, there’s a good chance this is one of the final times we see the youngster prior to him fighting for a belt.

HA! Priceless! That quote alone makes me more of a Haney fan than I was before.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    If I’m Haney I’d go for Loma if it can be done because I’d consider it a good matchup with the reach and speed advantage. And it’s a bit of legacy that can’t be acquired 2 years down the road.

As a boxing fan though there are few fights that intrigue me more than Haney vs Tank.
    Have to wonder how Haney would do with the turning footwork and inside work of Loma. Haney won't get those opportunities to clinch off the lead so much. Actually love that he won, it feels like the division is finally feeding it's potential to explode. Many great match ups!
    Certainly an advantage inside for Loma. But how does he get there against the length and speed both of hand and of foot? I could see Haney taking the first 6 and then it turns into “will Haney make the final bell?”
    Or Haney can come back better. Of course he faded being so obviously over hyped for that last fight. Does he settle into who he is a bit now? Or is stamina always going to be an issue?
    So many questions and I love it

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    If I’m Haney I’d go for Loma if it can be done because I’d consider it a good matchup with the reach and speed advantage. And it’s a bit of legacy that can’t be acquired 2 years down the road.

As a boxing fan though there are few fights that intrigue me more than Haney vs Tank.
    Have to wonder how Haney would do with the turning footwork and inside work of Loma. Haney won't get those opportunities to clinch off the lead so much. Actually love that he won, it feels like the division is finally feeding it's potential to explode. Many great match ups!
    Certainly an advantage inside for Loma. But how does he get there against the length and speed both of hand and of foot? I could see Haney taking the first 6 and then it turns into “will Haney make the final bell?”
    Or Haney can come back better. Of course he faded being so obviously over hyped for that last fight. Does he settle into who he is a bit now? Or is stamina always going to be an issue?
    So many questions and I love it
    I’ve been thinking along the same lines as Ron and Spicoli- Loma’s foot work and angles vs Haney’s jab and length. I agree that Loma will not be as willing of a partner on the inside clinch, which means Devin will have to use his legs and jab to maintain distance and control Loma on the outside. Loma will have to keep Devin turning, and close the distance off a slipped jab to work combinations before moving back out of range.

If Loma gets close to his previous form he has a really good chance- I just worry about the size and lay off. Teo looked huge compared to Loma, and I think Haney will be equally oversized. I have a suspicion that Haney’s speed/athleticism, combined with his size/length will make things very difficult for a past his prime Loma. Not comparing the fighters, but I feel like this is similar to Floyd vs JMM- the size advantage will really tell in this fight due to the size disparity.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if i'm devin i want loma or tank next
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Thread Information