Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Edgar Berlanga v Roamer Alexis Angulo ESPN

Hometown decision... no doubt. I don't rate Berlanga at all by now. I think he's reached his ceiling, and will soon be eclipsed by the total package, Xander Zayas, as the island's premier prospect.

Angulo deserved the decision, but man..... how many times do fighters have to be told not to leave it up to the judges??

Did Angulo really think he was going to get the nod?

His corner should be flogged if they didn't ram it into Angulo's head that he had to go for the knockout.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He is crap and should get disqualified when the governing body see the bite .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

edgar seems to regress each fight
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Judges should be suspended, Berlanga should be suspended

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BOXER Edgar Berlanga is set for a hefty $10,000 fine and a six-month ban after biting Alexis Angulo.

The Brooklyn-based star, 25, attempted the chomp during his super middleweight showdown against Angulo at Madison Square Garden on Saturday.

He would go on to win the bout by unanimous decision and extend his unbeaten record to 20-0.

But Berlanga looks set for an extended period away from the ring and $10k out of pocket following his moment of madness.

The seventh-round incident - which was missed by the referee - was picked up by TV cameras as the pair did battle in New York.

And after the bout, Berlanga admitted that he tried to "do a Mike Tyson" on his opponent - but only because Angulo was allegedly using his elbows.

He told ESPN: "He was throwing elbows. I was about to do a Mike Tyson on him.

"He kept throwing his elbows and pushing it out. I didn't want to get cut."

Berlanga's excuse doesn't appear to have gone down well with the New York State Athletic Commission.

He's reportedly been slapped with a fine of $10,000 and a six month fighting ban.

Berlanga apologized for his actions on fight night but will not be eligible to return to the ring until December.

He wrote on Twitter: "I want to apologize for my actions and what I said yesterday about the Mike Tyson bite.

"I was in the moment and I got a little ahead of myself. It doesn’t take away from the embarrassment that I have caused upon myself, my team, [Top Rank], and many others.

“I reacted poorly and take full responsibility.

"Moving forward, I am going to be more mindful and encouraging in my behavior. Once again, I do apologize."

Although his attempted bite failed to make proper contact on his opponents ear, Berlanga's actions drew criticism from across the boxing world.

Promoter Lou DiBella wrote on Twitter: "If you bite your opponent like you’re a rabid dog you should be disqualified."

And trainer Teddy Atlas commented: "Berlanga’s record is more impressive than his fighting. I’m going back to UFC fights."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18912...biting-angulo/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I criticized the 6-month ban on Canelo when he took Clenbuterol, it's only fair that I do the same with Berlanga's 6-month suspension for attempting to bite Angulo.

This sh*t has no place in boxing. It was a dirty, low-down thing to do. If the other guy's throwing elbows, complain to the ref... or maybe even throw a couple of your own, just to get your point across. But biting the opponent is a bitch move.

Six months is a slap on the wrist. It's the time it takes nowadays between fights for most boxers anyway... so it's not really like he's gonna miss any significant action.

That being said, Berlanga is going nowhere. He had his moment in the sun... and the record of 1st round knockouts, in retrospect, didn't help him any.

To me, he's done as a headliner.

Thread Information