Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heavyweights who didnt acheive greatness but could of in a different era ???

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Heavyweights who didnt acheive greatness but could of in a different era ???

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
    Quote Originally Posted by undefeated
    a prime tyson would b 60-0 in this era
    LOL; both Klitschko brothers do him; Brewster is a 30/70 shot, Rahman a 40/60 bet.

Tyson was superb when everyone was intimidated or intent on surviving against him.
    You are kidding right? WLAD!??!?!? He was stopped by Ross Purrity!!! Brewster would be koed early since he just lays against the ropes until they get tired and Tyson had too great stamina to get tired. Rahman is the worst wbc heavyweight champ ever possibly, Tyson KO6. Vitali didnt do anything to prove hes even a top 50 fighter, Tyson destroys him.

Yeah, Tyson really couldnt beat anyone that stood up to him right? Larry Holmes, Frank Bruno, and Razor Ruddock didnt stand up to him? Give me a break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Heavyweights who didnt acheive greatness but could of in a different era ???

Quote Originally Posted by muchmoore
    Quote Originally Posted by undefeated
    a prime tyson would b 60-0 in this era
    LOL; both Klitschko brothers do him; Brewster is a 30/70 shot, Rahman a 40/60 bet.

Tyson was superb when everyone was intimidated or intent on surviving against him.
    You are kidding right? WLAD!??!?!? He was stopped by Ross Purrity!!! Brewster would be koed early since he just lays against the ropes until they get tired and Tyson had too great stamina to get tired. Rahman is the worst wbc heavyweight champ ever possibly, Tyson KO6. Vitali didnt do anything to prove hes even a top 50 fighter, Tyson destroys him.

Yeah, Tyson really couldnt beat anyone that stood up to him right? Larry Holmes, Frank Bruno, and Razor Ruddock didnt stand up to him? Give me a break.
    everyones going on a bout wlad as though hes the second coming. peak tyson probably blows him away the first time a left hook connects. with his bobbing stance. a peak tyson beats anyone this eras got to offer by a long chalk. take a look at the man who beat spinks without getting hit for reference, the man who absorbed ruddocks bombs and the man who after 2 years as a pro was UNDISPUTED world heavyweight champion. wlad and tyson? not even in the same league.. tyson would be like a kid in a candy shop with this bunch.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea to say Wlad or Brewster would beat Tyson is really laughable and nothing else.. Come on. Vitali would have a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    Yea to say Wlad or Brewster would beat Tyson is really laughable and nothing else.. Come on. Vitali would have a shot.
    You are not reading what I said; Wlad has all the tools to not just beat him, but to easily beat him. Brewster I said was a 3 in 10 shot.

Tyson never, ever beat someone who stood up to him.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are not reading what I said; Wlad has all the tools to not just beat him, but to easily beat him. Brewster I said was a 3 in 10 shot.

BK - honest answer, if Tyson retired after the Spinks fight where would you have him in your all time top heavies??
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H

BK - honest answer, if Tyson retired after the Spinks fight where would you have him in your all time top heavies??
    I have him #11. with that scenario you stated I guess I would of had him #6.

I like my fighters to show redemption, but you cannot redeem when you have not lost.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I suppose from his losses to ROSS PURRITY, LAMON BREWSTER, and CORRIE SANDERS, you couldn't deduct the same thing about Wlad? Come on... And not to mention the fact that Tyson was simply faster and Wlad could not take his power for one second. As for Brewster, really.. That's just hilarious, Lamon would be cannon fodder for a prime Tyson.. But he wasn't for Wlad. Wonder why..

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have him #11. with that scenario you stated I guess I would of had him #6.

I like my fighters to show redemption, but you cannot redeem when you have not lost.
    .....Because you have previously said, that at that time you had him as number 1!! Now bearing in mind that after that point his demise as a fighter was almost certainly due to events outside of the ring, you should rate him as you did in his prime, as you would for say Ali.

Too many people assume that the fights he lost, he would still have lost if they had have happended circa 86-89 and that people that came along later such as Lewis would have beaten Tyson during this period.

Fact is we don't know for sure, but my opinion is that he was a shadow of himsellf from 89 onwards and therefore we shouldn't lend any thought to those fights when placing him in the all time list.

Too many people also say that if you stood up to Tyson you would beat him - sounds pretty simple that, but it might require a little bit of fighting ability too I don't think not being afraid and standing up to Tyson would've given anybody any more of a chance of beating him during his prime period.

If you watch his fight against Biggs and then watch the fight against Holyfield - you cannot compare those 2 Tysons as a fighter - no head movement, no jab, no lateral movement, flat footed, I can go on - but they were different animals!!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    I reckon Georges Carpentier could hold his own against most of todays lot, well ok maybe not Wladimir :P

The point is today's heavies are really really bad. Could John Ruiz have been a two time world champ in any other era?

Agree completely. Ray Mercer and Ernie Shavers would do great in the current crappy heavyweight division but i'd even say that Burt Cooper, Mitch Green, and Tyrell Biggs would do well.

Also throw Marvis Frazier in for good measure!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

trevor berbick would do well today...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

.....Because you have previously said, that at that time you had him as number 1!!
    No, never had him at #1, I may of rated him second to Ali in 88, but I was 14 years old

The truth is, as time goes by, Tyson's star fades in my mind, whilst someone like Ali's star burns brighter. Because Ali had redemption.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I suppose from his losses to ROSS PURRITY, LAMON BREWSTER, and CORRIE SANDERS, you couldn't deduct the same thing about Wlad? Come on... And not to mention the fact that Tyson was simply faster and Wlad could not take his power for one second. As for Brewster, really.. That's just hilarious, Lamon would be cannon fodder for a prime Tyson.. But he wasn't for Wlad. Wonder why..
    Styles make fights, Tyson always struggled (and that included in his prime), against big tall athletic fighters. And Wlad has all the tools to beat Tyson, even more so than his brother. Wlad would beat Tyson in his prime, more than he would lose to Tyson.

Brewster is a serious puncher, who would land a bomb and beat Tyson in 30% of bouts, if had met whilst both were in their prime.

Tyson lacks certain mental tools to be this great 'god like figure' some people perceive him to be IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Styles make fights, Tyson always struggled (and that included in his prime), against big tall athletic fighters. And Wlad has all the tools to beat Tyson, even more so than his brother. Wlad would beat Tyson in his prime, more than he would lose to Tyson.

Brewster is a serious puncher, who would land a bomb and beat Tyson in 30% of bouts, if had met whilst both were in their prime.

Tyson lacks certain mental tools to be this great 'god like figure' some people perceive him to be IMO.
    if thats the case then im tired of hearing how awful this era of heavys are compared to years past ................ i dont know how u can say a prime tyson--who is going to the hall of fame..gets kayoed by two guys who arent even good enough to sleep on the fronts steps in wlad and brewster.........i mean a shot mike tyson kayoed cliff etienne withe first punch he threw and lamon lost to that same etieene...............and cliff has no chin..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LawHoops
    if thats the case then im tired of hearing how awful this era of heavys are compared to years past ................ i dont know how u can say a prime tyson--who is going to the hall of fame..gets kayoed by two guys who arent even good enough to sleep on the fronts steps in wlad and brewster.........i mean a shot mike tyson kayoed cliff etienne withe first punch he threw and lamon lost to that same etieene...............and cliff has no chin..........
    Well there you go then

The fighters today would beat most of the heavyweights of yesteryear, because of evolution, even the likes prime Tyson, would give up two stone to the monsters of today.

It is just common sense that a 215lb (5'7" to 5'11", depending on who you talk to) prime Tyson, just could not be excepted to come out on top of a battle with a 240lb 6'8" athlete like Wlad.

But of course Tyson at his best, was much the finer fighter, and damn sight more entertaining than Wlad; who is arguable the most exciting Heavyweight today.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LawHoops
    Well there you go then

The fighters today would beat most of the heavyweights of yesteryear, because of evolution, even the likes prime Tyson, would give up two stone to the monsters of today.

It is just common sense that a 215lb (5'7" to 5'11", depending on who you talk to) prime Tyson, just could not be excepted to come out on top of a battle with a 240lb 6'8" athlete like Wlad.

But of course Tyson at his best, was much the finer fighter, and damn sight more entertaining than Wlad; who is arguable the most exciting Heavyweight today.
    Tyson ain't 5'7", more like 5'10", and he'd kill either Klitschko, both in one night.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Thread Information