Thread: Is Canelo on a serious slide?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Canelo on a serious slide?

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    when Canelo stupidly talked about going to cruiser to fight some obscure, unknown belt holder
    hey titofan should we ridicule badou jack for fighting the unknown belt holder? or does badou get a pass because he's almost forty? one thing i did find funny about canelo's cruiserweight talk was how quickly don king got on his bike & made ilunga's mandatory

Badou Jack gets a pass cause #1 he's a cruiser himself... and #2 because Badou Jack toils in relative obscurity. Few casuals and even some of us diehard boxing fans really know all that much about Badou Jack.

Incredible that at 91, King is still around and making noises about boxing. Anyway... it's hilarious to hear him talk and call himself a "Mejicano." Hell... he's always been willing to do and say whatever it takes to keep the wheels greased. He talks about the possibility of Canelo-Ilunga at around the 4-minute mark. What a hoot.
    so just to clarify, a fighter has to have fought at the weight in question to get a title shot & has to be relatively obscure to earn a pass from you? yea don king saw dollar signs when team canelo came into the conversation. it's a good topic for a thread, when has a fighter had so much influence to manipulate the sport? david b v caleb could be one, canelo was saying these other guys should fight each other, kind of forced that fight
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So just to clarify...

No.

A fighter has to be someone other than Canelo to get a pass from me.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So just to clarify...

No.

A fighter has to be someone other than Canelo to get a pass from me.
    understood
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's a bit soon to say he's on a serious slide, he's a shorter boxer so he probably would never have long term success at light heavyweight and Bivol is pretty good and rangy, ended up just being a bad match up. He did look like he tired a lot quicker than usual against Bivol, even as early as the second round he started looking cooked which is a bad sign even accounting for the extra weight of him and the opponent. He had also claimed to have gone vegan for this fight so that could account for something or possibly be a code for something like mexican beef :S.. would have hoped to stop Golovkin but Golovkin even at his advanced age is probably a better boxer and just a big talent so it's no disaster... I think Alvarez's physical condition should be watched closely he could well be on the way out but it is too soon to say for sure.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    I think it's a bit soon to say he's on a serious slide, he's a shorter boxer so he probably would never have long term success at light heavyweight and Bivol is pretty good and rangy, ended up just being a bad match up. He did look like he tired a lot quicker than usual against Bivol, even as early as the second round he started looking cooked which is a bad sign even accounting for the extra weight of him and the opponent. He had also claimed to have gone vegan for this fight so that could account for something or possibly be a code for something like mexican beef :S.. would have hoped to stop Golovkin but Golovkin even at his advanced age is probably a better boxer and just a big talent so it's no disaster... I think Alvarez's physical condition should be watched closely he could well be on the way out but it is too soon to say for sure.
    starting so young it's already a long career

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's true too but I also don't think that's much different from many guys amateur careers, the Ukrainians for example have had hundreds of amateur fights from a similar age, alvaiwas under pro rules earlier than many non mexicans but still he wasn't fighting a high competition in those early years, possibly some amateur careers are worse for you, it's still a couple of humans whacking each other for a few minutes after all... He has had a lot of fights even excluding his younger days though to be fair.taken on a lot of high level contenders.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    That's true too but I also don't think that's much different from many guys amateur careers, the Ukrainians for example have had hundreds of amateur fights from a similar age, alvaiwas under pro rules earlier than many non mexicans but still he wasn't fighting a high competition in those early years, possibly some amateur careers are worse for you, it's still a couple of humans whacking each other for a few minutes after all... He has had a lot of fights even excluding his younger days though to be fair.taken on a lot of high level contenders.
    i agree canelo's career is about the same length of some of these guys that had a big amateur career. canelo is also now in his thirties. all those training camps add up as well. all that money also causes many guys to lose the edge. injuries now. i think canelo will only be around for a few more big fights

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

badou is saying he's not fighting canelo next. he says canelo wanted a twenty pound catchweight which i guess was one eighty, for the belt & a rehydration cause. i can't say i agree with catchweights with rehydration clauses for one fighter. it's something that's been happening for awhile with all this a side nonsense, we saw the same thing as recently as tank v king ry. i guess jermall becomes top of the list now

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Thread Information