Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Liam Smith v Chris Eubank Jr

Chris Eubank Jr is planning a major year and has set out his wishlist for fights in 2023.

"Golovkin number one because he has those middleweight belts and it's a fight that can and should be made," Eubank told Sky Sports.

"I guess Canelo would be number two. He's the big name. He's the guy everyone knows in the sport and I think I can beat him. Those would be my two Christmas wish list fights for the rest of the year."

Golovkin has been an opponent that Eubank Jr has targeted for many years. In 2016, they came close to signing a contract to fight, only for that bout to fall through.

Last year Golovkin unified the IBF and WBA middleweight titles when he beat Ryota Murata in Japan.

Although he lost to Canelo Alvarez in a lacklustre performance in September, that was at super-middleweight. The Kazakh therefore still holds his championships at 160lbs.

Now Eubank believes 2023 is the time for that fight to happen.

He says it would be "a huge shame" if that Golovkin fight were to elude him again.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...6611bf763b2e5b
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Recently, both men came face-to-face for Sky Sport’s ‘The Gloves are Off’ and Eubank Jr was surprised to find out that Smith is only a year older than him.

Eubank Jr accused Smith of not putting in enough effort in the gym, to which the Liverpudlian responded: “You can’t have the career that I’ve had without putting the work in the gym.

“You’re not a young man yourself by the way,” Smith continued. “You’re 33, but I’m 34 and you can’t have the career I’ve had without putting in the work in the gym.”

“You’re 34 yearsold?” Eubank Jr said, clearly shocked. “You look about 50.”

“Don’t let the grey hair fool you,” Smith replied. “I’ve been grey since I was 28, so don’t let that fool you or it will be your downfall.”

Eubank Jr continued to wind up his opponent, as he responded: “Whatever you’re eating or drinking, just chill out with that, because it’s not working for you.”

Smith finished by saying: “If you want to talk about lifestyles, you’re just a clown.”

This clip was posted on Sky Sports Boxing Twitter and Smith replied to the tweet with a picture of himself and Eubank Jr in the gym as younger men, pointing out his opponents hairline.

He posted: “Let’s not forget, soft s****, you looked about 50 when you was 26 with that daft hair line. Before your trip to turkey.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...pponent-clown/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

34-year-old Smith recalled memories of past sparring sessions with Eubank Jr, telling Boxxer: “I remember just thinking like, ‘Look at him...’

“I haven’t even said, [but] I remember getting out the ring and Ronnie Davies [Eubank Jr’s trainer] saying, ‘You can hit him when you want to hit him.’

“I know Chris can be hurt to the body; I’ve openly said it, I know I hurt him to the body. He’ll tell you different, but he’s telling you he’s never been hurt in his life, so that’s just Chris.

“Obviously size made it an even spar, and that’s what I’m trying to say now. Size here is making this fight a 50-50, or a great fight as people are saying.”

Meanwhile, Eubank Jr said his memory of the sparring sessions is less clear.

“I think it was in Amir Khan’s gym, but I don’t remember exactly how it went down,” he said.

“I don’t remember if I hurt him. He says he hurt me to the body and nearly put me on the canvas. I think that is a whimsical tale.

“We’re both probably two different fighters compared to what we were back then. Well, I know I am; he may not be, but I am.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...fa9b84c72539b7

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m gonna throw this out there. I’ve been one of Eubank Jr’s biggest critics on here as a boxer and the shit he comes out with.
    Well my opinion of him as a boxer has never really changed.
    Anybody who matches up Size wise with good boxing skills and ring IQ will beat him. He’s always been fit, durable and teak tough. And if he was able to get away from his Dad’s influence as a kid and wasn’t so arrogant that he would listen to a good trainer, he could’ve been amazing. But he’s not.
    However, as a bloke , as time goes on, I’m really warming to him. He’s a proper funny cunt, great sense of humour and knows that he is getting under the skin of the rest of the fighters.
    Liam Smith , even though he denies it, has really let this 50% bollocks get under his skin. It’s fucking hilarious!
    I still give Smith a fair chance in this fight because he can box, but Eubank does have a size advantage and will just keep coming at him.
    Good matchup though.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones Jr has insisted Chris Eubank Jr does not need him in his corner to beat Liam Smith, and he is preparing him for possible future bouts with Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin.

"For Liam Williams or Liam Smith, Chris doesn't need me to beat these guys because the fighting Chris Eubank can beat both of these guys," Jones Jr told Sky Sports' Toe2Toe boxing podcast.

"However, he doesn't bring me in for these particular fighters, he brings me here to help him get better prepared for names like GGG (Golovkin) or Canelo.

"When you go with these guys, you can't be the old Chris that just goes out and lets his hands go, you've got to be a tactician, you've got to have a little bit more knowledge behind what you're doing.

"He's looking down the line at the bigger fights where he knows he's going to need more than just blasting people out with combinations, that won't work against these bigger guys, against Canelo or GGG."

"He [Eubank Jr] is bigger than Liam Smith, and if he's bigger than Liam Smith then a toe-to-toe fight is in his favour because he's the bigger fighter," Jones Jr said.

"He's been fighting super-middleweights and middleweights, Liam Smith has been fighting junior-middleweights and middleweights, so Chris is definitely the bigger fighter.

"It all depends on how the fight goes, or how Chris chooses to fight the fight. If Liam comes in early and engages with Chris, and Chris hurts him, it's going to be a problem because Chris is the bigger fighter.

"At the same time, I think down the stretch is where Chris really gains momentum, because the longer the fight goes, the better it usually is for the bigger fighter."

"I think he [Eubank Jr] brings a lot to the table anyway, however, I feel like a good fight against Liam Smith would definitely make them say, 'ok, here's a guy who's worthy, who has a name, who has a whole country behind him'.

"Because if he beats Liam, he's clearly the best middleweight on this side of the pond, so now let's bring the best middleweights from that side of the pond, or wherever they're from, and let's make it happen.

"So I think a good win, and a stoppage for sure, definitely makes people have to open their eyes and realise he's definitely a contender and deserves a shot."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...4dcf734993f0aa

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Eubank Jnr takes a tight decision in a tough fight

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank insists for him winning this fight is all consuming. "Nothing else matters," he said.

"If I don't get the victory my career is in dire, dire straits. It's in jeopardy. Victory is the most important thing in my life at this moment in time."

Smith warned: "Chris has got a lot to lose in this.

"At this stage of my career I know I've got a lot to lose," Smith added. "My fear is losing to somebody I should never be losing to. It's a big fear of mine. I feel I should never lose to Chris Eubank Jr.

"I'm still in this sport for a reason. Again, I feel I turn up the way I should turn up, there's no way Chris Eubank Jr can beat me."

Smith is glad that Eubank Jr will have boxing legend Roy Jones in his corner for their fight.

"From a boxer looking at his opponent I don't think he's looked great," Smith said. "You look at the Chris and Roy Jones partnership, he hasn't looked great, in my eyes."

Eubank denied that he was "stuck in between styles".

"For many years I did train myself, I did run my own camps, I didn't have somebody in the gym with me every day working on things, I was just doing what I wanted to do. And it worked," Eubank said.

But since he linked up with Roy Jones that has changed. "I can switch my styles up, which is something that Smith cannot do."

'He's not trying to be me'
    Roy Jones maintained that he's not trying to mould Eubank into his own style.

"Now he has two options. He can fight you and beat you, or he can box you and beat you," Jones said.

"He has two options to choose how he's going to beat you now. Before he had only one way to beat you. To fight you.

"People say he doesn't listen to nobody. He does listen, he listens to somebody that can teach him something and I can teach him what he wants to learn. Anything he wants to learn pretty much I can teach him."

Jones believes Junior is actually closer in style to Chris Eubank Sr. "Chris is not trying to be me and I'm not trying to make him me. Chris' name is Chris Eubank Jr," he continued.

"Having that Roy style with it but more like his dad. He's not trying to be Roy Jones Jr, his name's Chris Eubank Jr."

Jones is predicting a knockout victory for his fighter. "Of course, he can stop him. If his hands don't get hurt, he probably will stop him," Jones said.

But victory is no given. Ronnie Davies, who has always assisted his training, acknowledged that. "I said [to Eubank Jr]: 'You need to be 155 per cent to beat him!'"

Eubank's reply was simple: "Don't worry, Davies, it's under control."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...5ab6b7f86be15b

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Liam Smith and Chris Eubank Jr have apologised for their part in an ugly news conference on Thursday before their middleweight fight on Saturday.

Both fighters launched personal attacks, with Eubank the subject of homophobic taunts and Smith the subject of taunts about social class.

"There's no lines anymore," Eubank said after organisers tried to restore calm.

It marks another controversial day for boxing after a 2022 marred with doping, judging and governance scandals.

Boxxer, who promotes Smith and co-promotes Eubank, said it did not condone the behaviour from either fighter.

"Tensions were high and the fighters have apologised. Liam has apologised," promoter Ben Shalom said.

The rivals have clashed throughout the build-up, disagreeing over past sparring encounters among other verbal exchanges.

Smith, 34, has labelled Eubank 'fame hungry' and began the conference by questioning Eubank's sexuality and repeatedly using a strong swear word to attack his opponent.

Eubank responded with a thinly veiled insult about Liverpool, the city Smith was born in, and his marriage.

Eubank, 33, admitted the conference "escalated quickly" and both men resorted to "personal" attacks.

"Everybody reacts in different ways to getting ready to fight another man," he said.

"He's so hellbent on trying to prove he's not rattled that he just went off the rails and I had to put him in line. We both went there, it got personal. That's OK.

"Boxing is personal, fighting another man is one of the most personal things you can do. So I get it."

Smith said his comments were a reaction to Eubank's past jibes.

"I just replied to some of stuff he says," he said. "I don't hate the man but I just don't like him. I'd never have a cup of tea with him.

"We're two polar opposites. I don't hate the man, I don't go to bed hating him."

Smith and Eubank will fight in a middleweight contest in Manchester in what organisers say is a sold-out event.

Despite the exchanges during the news conference, the customary face-off at the end of the event passed without incident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/64337380

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Liam Smith and Chris Eubank Jr have apologised for their part in an ugly news conference on Thursday before their middleweight fight on Saturday.

Both fighters launched personal attacks, with Eubank the subject of homophobic taunts and Smith the subject of taunts about social class.

"There's no lines anymore," Eubank said after organisers tried to restore calm.

It marks another controversial day for boxing after a 2022 marred with doping, judging and governance scandals.

Boxxer, who promotes Smith and co-promotes Eubank, said it did not condone the behaviour from either fighter.

"Tensions were high and the fighters have apologised. Liam has apologised," promoter Ben Shalom said.

The rivals have clashed throughout the build-up, disagreeing over past sparring encounters among other verbal exchanges.

Smith, 34, has labelled Eubank 'fame hungry' and began the conference by questioning Eubank's sexuality and repeatedly using a strong swear word to attack his opponent.

Eubank responded with a thinly veiled insult about Liverpool, the city Smith was born in, and his marriage.

Eubank, 33, admitted the conference "escalated quickly" and both men resorted to "personal" attacks.

"Everybody reacts in different ways to getting ready to fight another man," he said.

"He's so hellbent on trying to prove he's not rattled that he just went off the rails and I had to put him in line. We both went there, it got personal. That's OK.

"Boxing is personal, fighting another man is one of the most personal things you can do. So I get it."

Smith said his comments were a reaction to Eubank's past jibes.

"I just replied to some of stuff he says," he said. "I don't hate the man but I just don't like him. I'd never have a cup of tea with him.

"We're two polar opposites. I don't hate the man, I don't go to bed hating him."

Smith and Eubank will fight in a middleweight contest in Manchester in what organisers say is a sold-out event.

Despite the exchanges during the news conference, the customary face-off at the end of the event passed without incident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/64337380
    "I'd never have a cup of tea with him"...

All bets are off then. Going to be war.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A contrite Smith afterwards accepted the personal barbs "crossed a line" following a reference to Eubank Jr's sexuality during the final press conference for their fight at Manchester's AO Arena. Smith made the inference when he said: "You go on about girls, has anybody in this room ever seen you with a girl? This is for no laughs I am just asking, do you want to tell us something?"

Eubank Jr responded: "My private life is my private life. That is irrelevant to the boxing but I am happy and comfortable. If you want to get personal, talking about being gay? I've been told you cheat on your wife. I'd rather be gay than a cheat." The comments between the pair led to Sky Sports presenter Anna Woolhouse making an on-air apology for the "personal and homophobic remarks made up on stage".

Eubank Jr said afterwards: "It escalated quickly - and that's OK. This is boxing, this is the entertainment business, this is the fight game and this is real. "You don't say the things he was saying or act the way he was acting if you're not rattled in some way, shape or form.

"People react to fighting a man in different ways. He embarrassed himself up there but it's OK. We're going to fight it out and settle our differences in a couple of days' time."

Smith, a former WBO light-middleweight champion, admitted the controversial exchange was uncalled for and suggested both fighters trying to hit the 160lb limit may have played its part. He said: "It's crossed a line and for people looking at it, it's wrong. We shouldn't act like that. It's fight week, we're both starving and making weight. If anyone took it personally, I apologise.

"It was always going to get a little bit heated like that. At the end of the day it's just words. Just take it with a pinch of salt."

Eubank Jr, who has 32 wins - 23 inside the distance - and two defeats in his professional career, has insisted throughout a testy build-up that he only needs to be at 50 per cent to prevail against 34-year-old Smith.

The 33-year-old Eubank Jr said: "I've always wanted to win this fight by knockout, the fact that Liam is being a child up here is giving me extra incentive. "I'm cutting weight right now, so I'm at a good solid 44-45 per cent right now, but I'll be a strong 50 per cent on the night and that will be more than enough to take care of the man on my left." Smith (32-3-1, 19KOs) poured scorn on Eubank Jr's assertion ahead of a bout in which both fighters can put themselves back into world title contention with a win. Smith added: "That's Chris being Chris. Nobody believes him. He doesn't believe that himself."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...003421d317db74

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Parker struggling to take out Massey and it is round 5. He has won all the rounds but not looking impressive.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Parker struggling to take out Massey and it is round 5. He has won all the rounds but not looking impressive.

We are all watching on Zoom and yes Parker should have got Massey out of there by now.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

We are all watching on Zoom and yes Parker should have got Massey out of there by now.
    Join us in the Zoom chat @Master

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hard to ever see Parker anywhere near world level again.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Thread Information