Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Teo Lopez v Pedro "Roca" Campa

Lopez, the former lightweight champion, will face Mexican veteran Pedro "Roca" Campa in the 10-round main event Saturday, August 13 at the Resorts World Event Center at Resorts World Las Vegas.
    In the eight-round junior middleweight co-feature, rising Puerto Rican star Xander Zayas steps up in class against Elias "Latin Kid" Espadas.

Lopez-Campa and Zayas-Espadas will be broadcast live on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+ at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT.

Promoted by Top Rank, tickets starting at $40 go on sale Wednesday, July 13 at 12 p.m. PT and can be purchased at ETix.com.

"Teofimo Lopez has a clean bill of health and is ready to make noise at 140 pounds. It all starts with a difficult test in Pedro Campa," said Top Rank chairman Bob Arum.

"Xander Zayas is a special young talent, and I expect him to put on another sensational performance. Top Rank looks forward to another fantastic night of boxing at Resorts World Las Vegas."

Lopez (16-1, 12 KOs), a Brooklyn native who now resides in Las Vegas, makes his 2022 debut following a whirlwind past few years that saw him graduate from prospect to lightweight king.

He became a viral sensation with a first-round, one-punch knockout over Mason Menard in December 2018. One year later, he captured the IBF world title with a second-round destruction over Richard Commey.
    Lopez became the unified and lineal lightweight champion in October 2020 with a unanimous decision over pound-for-pound legend Vasiliy "Loma" Lomachenko.

Lopez's lightweight reign came to a shocking end last November when George Kambosos Jr. climbed off the canvas to earn a split decision in what many experts called the Upset of the Year.
    Now at junior welterweight and fully recovered from assorted injuries, Lopez is set to conquer a second weight class.

"I'm thankful to be back August 13. I've been looking forward to this since my last fight," Lopez said. "I've had a lot of complications, but we're looking towards the future and are on to bigger and better things.

"I'm here to take over the 140-pound division just like I did at 135. Like always, I'm going to bring excitement to the sport of boxing. The Takeover is still in full effect. You don't want to miss it."

Campa (34-1-1, 23 KOs), fighting out of Hermosillo, Mexico, is unbeaten in eight fights since the lone loss on his ledger.

He is conducting an eight-week camp in Southern California under the watchful eye of a new head trainer, Manny Robles, who led Oscar Valdez and Andy Ruiz (among many others) to world championship glory.

Campa is coming off a third-round knockout over Carlos Sanchez Valadez, who entered the bout 22-0.

"I am excited and thankful to Top Rank and Teofimo Lopez for this opportunity. He is a tremendous fighter," Campa said.

"I am coming to Resorts World Las Vegas ready to implement everything I have learned with my incredible trainer, Manny Robles.
    "We've been in Southern California working hard and preparing for the best version of Teofimo Lopez. I believe I can be a force at 140 pounds, and it's up to me to show that on August 13."

Zayas (13-0, 9 KOs), the 19-year-old phenom from San Juan, bolstered his status as one of boxing's top prospects after going 6-0 in 2021.

He knocked out durable veterans Larry Fryers and Dan Karpency and went the six-round distance against New Mexico native Jose Luis Sanchez. Zayas made his 2022 debut in March, going eight rounds for the first time with a shutout over Quincy LaVallais. His scheduled June 11 return was scrapped after he contracted a non-COVID-related viral infection.
    Zayas is healthy and primed to fight Espadas (22-4, 15 KOs), a native of Yucatan, Mexico, who has never been knocked out. He has not lost since a close 2018 decision to Olympic bronze medalist Yamaguchi Falcao.

Zayas said, "I can't wait to get back in the ring after what happened in June. That is all in the past, and I am 100 per cent recovered.

"I want to thank all the fans for the support. That meant a lot and motivated me even more to train harder. On August 13, there will be a lot of fireworks between Puerto Rico and Mexico. You can count on that!"

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...3087e582e67c20
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Teo Lopez v Pedro "Roca" Campa

Decent enough get back for Lopez coming off the entire whirlwind of being upset for everything. Figure he's a guy who needs to get back to the basics and level off mentally for sake of his long-term outlook. As usual Zayas is can't miss viewing!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teofimo ‘The Takeover’ Lopez will make his super-lightweight debut this weekend as he looks to hit back from losing his world titles to George Kambosos Jr last year.

Lopez was beaten by Kambosos Jr in a shock split decision in November to lose his WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, and The Ring lightweight titles.

The American has now made the choice to change divisions as he looks to become a two-weight world champion.

He’ll take on Pedro Campa this Saturday, a Mexican fighter with a fine record of 34 wins and only one defeat.

But Lopez is eager to put on a show and prove he still has the quality to claim another title shot as soon as possible.

The 10-round super-lightweight clash is set to take place on Saturday, August 13.

It is being held at the Resorts World Las Vegas.

The main event clash between Lopez and Campa should get underway from 4am on Sunday morning UK time.

This clash will be live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Action from 1am on Sunday morning UK time.

MAIN EVENT: Teofimo Lopez vs Pedro Campa
    Andres Cortes vs Abraham Montoya
    Xander Zayas vs Elias Espadas
    Jose Enrique Durantes Vivas vs Edy Valencia Mercado
    Troy Isley vs Victor Toney
    Duke Ragan vs D’Angelo Fuentes
    Omar Rosario vs Esteban Munoz
    Charlie Sheehy vs Juan Manuel Castaneda Valle

Teofimo Lopez: “The Takeover is back! I took over the lightweight division. I plan on doing the same at [super lightweight].

“Pedro Campa is a tough opponent with an aggressive Mexican style. I can’t wait to put on a show for the fans.

“Every person goes through challenges, but I’ve put the past behind me and am thrilled to be back fighting in Las Vegas.

“I am calling this fight the ‘Take Back’ because I am coming to regain what I’ve lost. One defeat does not define a fighter. It won’t define me.

“I had been fighting at lightweight since I was a teenager, and it was time to move up. I am going to be an even better, more explosive fighter. You will see that on August 13.

“I am only 25 years old. My best years are in front of me. Pedro Campa is the start of a new chapter in my career.

“I will be a two-weight world champion very soon. Every contender and champion at junior welterweight better watch out because I am coming to clean out the division.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...am-tv-channel/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Being totally honest I'm looking forward to Xander Zayas bit more than return of Teo Lopez . It's a solid double header though and Lopez poised to brake into 140.

Thread Information