Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Leigh Wood v Leo Santa Cruz

Leo Santa Cruz 'accepts mandatory fight' against Leigh Wood for WBA (Super) featherweight title

The 33-year-old Mexican has now "accepted the mandatory fight" against Nottingham's Wood for the WBA (Super) featherweight title.

In April, the WBA ordered a fight between Santa Cruz and Wood, but there were no significant developments until it emerged earlier this week that a unification bout against WBC champion Rey Vargas was being pursued by the fellow Mexican. The WBA denied this request and instead ordered him to face Wood next. He was only given 24 hours to answer and if he refused, he would have been stripped of his belt.
    The WBA announced via their official Twitter account on Wednesday night that Santa Cruz and his team are taking the Wood fight:

"Leo Santa Cruz's team contacted the WBA Championships Committee and indicated that he will accept the mandatory fight against Leigh Wood. More information coming soon."

Promoter Eddie Hearn has campaigned for Wood to be upgraded to super champion for months given Santa Cruz's inactivity.

The Mexican defeated Carl Frampton via majority decision at the start of 2017 to reclaim his WBA (Super) belt.
    The 33-year-old has made two successful defences, with the last coming in February 2019 against Rafael Rivera.

'El Terremoto' then stepped up to super featherweight. After besting Miguel Flores for the vacant WBA (Super) world super featherweight title, he was beaten by Gervonta Davis towards the end of 2020.

Santa Cruz returned to the ring earlier this year in a winning effort at super featherweight against Keenan Carbajal. Wood meanwhile upset the odds to beat Xu Can for his WBA (Regular) featherweight last summer at Matchroom Headquarters during Fight Camp. 'Leigh-thal' then successfully defended his belt against Michael Conlan in a fight of the year contender in March at Nottingham's Motorpoint Arena.

Speaking to IFL's Kugan Cassius, Wood reiterated that he wants to battle Santa Cruz next:

"For me, it is a no-brainer [to face Santa Cruz]. To get upgraded, a unification fight or to rematch Conlan for more money.

"It is history. It's not going to change, I've already beaten [Conlan]. Money is irrelevant. Everybody needs it and hopefully after boxing, I've made enough to have the freedom to come and go as I please, and set my kids up, Which I'm on my way to doing as well.

"For me, history is more important. Winning them belts, beating them names. And that Conlan rematch will be there. He's got an ego so he wants to try and put that right, which he is not going to. But if they are going pay a lot of money to let him try, so be it."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...c75c5cf5a987db
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Leigh Wood v Leo Santa Cruz

fuck the wba. it's only been over three years since leo defended the belt
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

an agreement has apparently been reached so the upcoming purse bid has been suspended, contracts need to be signed by september first. sounds like the fight could be in november
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How did Santa Cruz look against Carbajal? I didn’t see that fight and I’m curious if he is okay after being KOed so badly against a bigger fighter.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    How did Santa Cruz look against Carbajal? I didn’t see that fight and I’m curious if he is okay after being KOed so badly against a bigger fighter.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Looks like Santa Cruz is Santa Cruz
    Appreciate the video by the way

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

leigh woods is now set to face mauricio lara & leo santa cruz vs rey vargas has been approved by the wba for a unification with the wbc belt

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Somehow it looks those turn into two better fights. Well maybe not for Wood . Off the top I see Vargas prove absolute nightmares for Leo.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    leigh woods is now set to face mauricio lara & leo santa cruz vs rey vargas has been approved by the wba for a unification with the wbc belt
    with leigh woods getting injured & having to pull out of the mauricio lara fight & leo santa cruz v rey vargas falling apart with rey now looking at a shot at the now vacant wbc one thirty pound title, this never ending story has another chapter, with the wba setting a deadline of december seventh for a deal to be confirmed before purse bids would be called on december twelfth

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this mess is over with leo santa cruz giving up his version of the wba featherweight title. it should be ligh wood v mauricio lara for the full world title next

Thread Information