After a lengthy hiatus, Danny Garcia will fight Jose Benavidez live from Brooklyn, New York’s Barclays Center.

On Saturday, two-division world champion Danny Garcia makes his 19-month comeback. And he’ll do it at a new weight when he faces Jose Benavidez Jr. in his junior middleweight debut.

Garcia, a former unified junior welterweight champion and WBC welterweight champion, last competed in December against Errol Spence Jr., who is now holding three 147-pound belts.

Garcia is now focused on a new division and a different group of rivals. Beginning on Saturday is David Benavidez’s brother, a former two-time WBC super middleweight champion.

Former welterweight championship contender Benavidez was defeated by WBO champion Terence Crawford in the 12th round of their fight. Since then, he has only fought once, losing to Francisco Emanuel Torres in his 154-pound debut by decision.

As he gets closer to his super welterweight fight against two-division world champion Danny “Swift” Garcia, exciting contender Jose Benavidez Jr. demonstrated his skills during a media workout at his family’s gym in Seattle on Thursday.

In the co-main event of the SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING tripleheader, Polish superstar and Brooklyn’s all-action Adam Kownacki will face Turkish Olympian Ali Eren Demirezen. In the program opener, unbeaten rising star Gary Antuanne Russell will face former two-division champion, Rances Barthelemy.

At the media workout on Thursday, Benavidez was joined by his brother David, a two-time super middleweight world champion, as well as his father and trainer Jose Benavidez Sr. Here is what he had to say on Thursday:

“I feel great. I’m stronger than ever and I’m ready to pull off this upset. There are some people who are doubting me, but I know that I’m going to be the guy that gets the win that night.

“Danny Garcia is a great fighter. I know his dad said some stuff about me, but I don’t let any of that get to me. I got nothing but respect for Danny. I’m going to let my hands do the talking.

“My preparation right now has been great. I’m extremely motivated. David is here along with my dad, and he’s been able to show me things from outside of the ring that I don’t see. Make sure you come out or tune in on July 30. This is going to be a war and I’m going to put on a show.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...2699f131a4af88